Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
4 billion years yet for solar system to be fully developed 08:02 - Mar 26 with 7038 viewsmerovingian

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/risk/

http://m.ibtimes.co.uk/asteroid-2012-da14-nasa-visible-size-collision-435557.htm

And there's another one just flew pass by us last week.

The cosmos surrounding earth are getting dicey this lately, will we earthlings survive another decade or two?

Cycledelic

4 billion years yet for solar system to be fully developed on 08:05 - Mar 26 with 5456 viewsBluce_Ree

Read the chapter 'Bang' from A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson.

It details just how likely this stuff is and what the effects would be if one hits.

Four billion years seems a long time though given that in five billion years the sun will explode.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

4 billion years yet for solar system to be fully developed on 08:13 - Mar 26 with 5449 viewsToast_R

Ahwell, nothing we should concern ourselves with in this lifetime.

Anyway, once the Universe has spread as far as possible, there's a theory that it will retract again?

Everything reverses back into it's original form before the Big Bang. And then it happens all over again. Some believe this is why we have Deja Vu, because we have seen this life before multiple times.

4 billion years yet for solar system to be fully developed on 08:20 - Mar 26 with 5444 viewsmerovingian

What I meant was our solar system still considered young, the construction work still on going. Fragments of building material constantly recalibrating for optimal flight path which eventual coerce by gravitational pull if not massive Jupiter then by smaller planet like the one we live in. Earth.

I hardly read long articles/ books. I forgo long winding speech, opted for more segregated infos here & there, gather digest em to nearest logic.

Cycledelic

4 billion years yet for solar system to be fully developed on 08:24 - Mar 26 with 5437 viewsmerovingian

Yes, it is quaint to even get hold of it. When it happens, it happens. Just a thought though.

Cycledelic

4 billion years yet for solar system to be fully developed on 09:36 - Mar 26 with 5402 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Anyone seen that Danny Boyle film 'Sunshine' ? I really enjoyed it as it has some plausability.

Not a patch on 'Even Horizon' though.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

4 billion years yet for solar system to be fully developed on 10:06 - Mar 26 with 5382 viewsTheBlob

4 billion years yet for solar system to be fully developed on 09:36 - Mar 26 by Metallica_Hoop

Anyone seen that Danny Boyle film 'Sunshine' ? I really enjoyed it as it has some plausability.

Not a patch on 'Even Horizon' though.

"Sunshine" was that an attempt to regenerate the sun or something?Rather akin to Ray Bradbury's "Golden apples of the sun".And "Wolfbane" by Frederick Pohl/C.M.Kornbluth - great novel,should've been made into a movie.

The solar system is rapidly approaching middle age,the sun appears to be relatively stable.There is a growing need to establish Arthur C. Clarke's concept of Project Safeguard regarding wandering cosmic debris.We've been dead lucky so far.
If we can get our sheeit together on Earth we should expand our celestial horizons,especially if you've got the incentive of a major catastrophe to deal with which would prompt a move.There was a prog on satellite addressing such a scenario which gave us 200 years before a wandering Neutron Star wiped out Earth and the system.Could happen,but the science was badly handled.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Poll: So how was the season for you?

4 billion years yet for solar system to be fully developed on 10:12 - Mar 26 with 5372 viewshoopstilidie

4 billion years?

Well that's bloody typical, right when we are poised to return to the Prem.

This club has a curse on it.

Ringo Starr ate my hamper.
Poll: Yes or no?

4 billion years yet for solar system to be fully developed on 10:18 - Mar 26 with 5369 viewsMetallica_Hoop

4 billion years yet for solar system to be fully developed on 10:06 - Mar 26 by TheBlob

"Sunshine" was that an attempt to regenerate the sun or something?Rather akin to Ray Bradbury's "Golden apples of the sun".And "Wolfbane" by Frederick Pohl/C.M.Kornbluth - great novel,should've been made into a movie.

The solar system is rapidly approaching middle age,the sun appears to be relatively stable.There is a growing need to establish Arthur C. Clarke's concept of Project Safeguard regarding wandering cosmic debris.We've been dead lucky so far.
If we can get our sheeit together on Earth we should expand our celestial horizons,especially if you've got the incentive of a major catastrophe to deal with which would prompt a move.There was a prog on satellite addressing such a scenario which gave us 200 years before a wandering Neutron Star wiped out Earth and the system.Could happen,but the science was badly handled.

That's the one Blob. Little bit of Mysticism too.

We need Nigel Sheldon and Ozzie Isaacs to invent the 'Wormhole'

Login to get fewer ads

4 billion years yet for solar system to be fully developed on 10:37 - Mar 26 with 5357 viewsTheBlob

4 billion years yet for solar system to be fully developed on 10:18 - Mar 26 by Metallica_Hoop

Wormholes have been established in labs on the sub-atomic level I believe,but only very short term.Trouble is they're like radio inasmuch as you need a transmitter and a receiver,you have to get a receiver to the desired point and then fire 'er up.I love the concept of instantaneous travel,inspired by works like "The Big Front Yard" by Clifford D Simak and Damon Knight's "Ticket To Anywhere"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Front_Yard

4 billion years yet for solar system to be fully developed on 10:49 - Mar 26 with 5350 viewsMetallica_Hoop

4 billion years yet for solar system to be fully developed on 10:37 - Mar 26 by TheBlob

Wormholes have been established in labs on the sub-atomic level I believe,but only very short term.Trouble is they're like radio inasmuch as you need a transmitter and a receiver,you have to get a receiver to the desired point and then fire 'er up.I love the concept of instantaneous travel,inspired by works like "The Big Front Yard" by Clifford D Simak and Damon Knight's "Ticket To Anywhere"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Front_Yard

That sounds good.

I'm waiting for the new Peter Hamilton to go Paperback.

"In AD 2142, where portal technology allows instantaneous travel to other planets, Newcastle police detective Sydney Hurst heads a high-tech investigation of the disturbing murder of a clone of the the wealthy North family. Hurst has the added challenge of the politics and media associated with the high profile murder, as well as the opaque mystery itself. The body shows the same wounds as that of Bartram North, murdered twenty years ago on the tropical planet St Libra. The bio-fuel that flows from St Libra is a mainstay of Earth's economy and so powerful vested interests are watching over Hurst's shoulder."

4 billion years yet for solar system to be fully developed on 13:14 - Mar 26 with 5307 viewsTheBlob

4 billion years yet for solar system to be fully developed on 10:49 - Mar 26 by Metallica_Hoop

That sounds good.

I'm waiting for the new Peter Hamilton to go Paperback.

"In AD 2142, where portal technology allows instantaneous travel to other planets, Newcastle police detective Sydney Hurst heads a high-tech investigation of the disturbing murder of a clone of the the wealthy North family. Hurst has the added challenge of the politics and media associated with the high profile murder, as well as the opaque mystery itself. The body shows the same wounds as that of Bartram North, murdered twenty years ago on the tropical planet St Libra. The bio-fuel that flows from St Libra is a mainstay of Earth's economy and so powerful vested interests are watching over Hurst's shoulder."

Ahaaaaaaaaa......
I've just ruined Scotty'senjoyment of "The Prestige" by Christopher Priest.The only way this magician could perform this particular trick was to use a teleportation device,Blob suggested,and when Tesla was mentioned 'twas a dead giveaway.Being right did nothing to diminish the pained silence which followed.....

4 billion years yet for solar system to be fully developed on 13:16 - Mar 26 with 5304 viewsMetallica_Hoop

4 billion years yet for solar system to be fully developed on 13:14 - Mar 26 by TheBlob

Ahaaaaaaaaa......
I've just ruined Scotty'senjoyment of "The Prestige" by Christopher Priest.The only way this magician could perform this particular trick was to use a teleportation device,Blob suggested,and when Tesla was mentioned 'twas a dead giveaway.Being right did nothing to diminish the pained silence which followed.....

I now have 'Edison's medicine' in my head. (not a bad thing)

4 billion years yet for solar system to be fully developed on 13:30 - Mar 26 with 5290 viewsTheBlob

4 billion years yet for solar system to be fully developed on 13:16 - Mar 26 by Metallica_Hoop

I now have 'Edison's medicine' in my head. (not a bad thing)

See what you mean Met

4 billion years yet for solar system to be fully developed on 13:32 - Mar 26 with 5287 viewsMetallica_Hoop

4 billion years yet for solar system to be fully developed on 13:30 - Mar 26 by TheBlob

See what you mean Met

4 billion years yet for solar system to be fully developed on 13:54 - Mar 26 with 5272 viewsgueRRilla

Thought the Earth was relatively safe? Watch this and you will be astounded. My recommendation is to make it full screen and listen to something good and threatening like Angel by Massive Attack.

4 billion years yet for solar system to be fully developed on 14:08 - Mar 26 with 5260 viewsTheBlob

4 billion years yet for solar system to be fully developed on 13:54 - Mar 26 by gueRRilla

Thought the Earth was relatively safe? Watch this and you will be astounded. My recommendation is to make it full screen and listen to something good and threatening like Angel by Massive Attack.

We're bombarded on a daily basis.Good job we've got some gas giants in the system that act like celestial goalies and stop the really big muthas.But knowing our luck one day Jupiter will decide to be Robert Green.

4 billion years yet for solar system to be fully developed on 04:53 - Mar 27 with 5183 viewsmerovingian

4 billion years yet for solar system to be fully developed on 10:12 - Mar 26 by hoopstilidie

4 billion years?

Well that's bloody typical, right when we are poised to return to the Prem.

This club has a curse on it.

Oer... Blightey

Cycledelic

4 billion years yet for solar system to be fully developed on 04:56 - Mar 27 with 5182 viewsmerovingian

4 billion years yet for solar system to be fully developed on 10:18 - Mar 26 by Metallica_Hoop

It's Alteration IMHO

Cycledelic

4 billion years yet for solar system to be fully developed on 05:02 - Mar 27 with 5181 viewsmerovingian

4 billion years yet for solar system to be fully developed on 13:30 - Mar 26 by TheBlob

See what you mean Met

Effin string theory

Cycledelic

4 billion years yet for solar system to be fully developed on 05:15 - Mar 27 with 5178 viewsmerovingian

Those books a mere fictional, rudimentary flask in a bust.

On the other hand Asteroids are real, kept creeping towards Earth orbital plunge. It is happening even now... Only matter left is, where will you be when the sky turns red?

Scary huh.

one might pray cognizantly for divine intervention & help ban such magnanimous altercation away from our sacred celestial bodies.

Cycledelic

4 billion years yet for solar system to be fully developed (n/t) on 08:09 - Mar 27 with 5162 viewsBluce_Ree

There can be only one song for this thread.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

4 billion years yet for solar system to be fully developed on 08:59 - Mar 27 with 5141 viewsmerovingian

Doomsday prepper ought to acquire skill from here:

Cycledelic

4 billion years yet for solar system to be fully developed on 09:49 - Mar 27 with 5128 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Song for an asteroid.

4 billion years yet for solar system to be fully developed on 09:58 - Mar 27 with 5123 viewsTheBlob

4 billion years yet for solar system to be fully developed on 10:28 - Mar 27 with 5108 viewsMetallica_Hoop

4 billion years yet for solar system to be fully developed on 09:58 - Mar 27 by TheBlob

Liked that Blob.

"Horsemen are drawing nearer..."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024