Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nicky Wire 02:31 - Sep 11 with 11618 viewsSonofNorfolt

the Manics wit in chief, stated that the reason Mumford & Sons are 'so awful' is because they eat good food.
I quite agree.
Argument starts below..............
Nicky Wire on 15:01 - Sep 11 with 2510 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz from last night.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Nicky Wire on 15:09 - Sep 11 with 2503 viewsSonofNorfolt

As this has now morphed into a Manics thread, I'll give my half a million quids worth.

The MSP, always seem to be misunderstood or misrepresented.

James Dean Bradfield is the driving force behind the band, musically anyway.
A brilliant singer, and guitarist / song writer for that matter.
Nicky Wire is the lyricist, duties which he shared with Richey Edwards,
At least they are real words as opposed to the sugary rubbish and cliches written by Noel Gallagher, Kelly Jones and whomever writes the Kings of Leon shiite.
To compare a song about the Spanish Civil War, 'If you tolerate this.............' to the karoake 'Moon in June' ready pop of the aforementioned is a travesty.
How anyone can compare the angst of The Holy Bible or even A Journal For Plague Lovers to anything other than an off shoot of punk? I don't know.
Rewind the film, their eleventh studio album is out next week, and their longevity is testament to their continued success.
As for whether or not they made it, headlining Glastonbury and the Millenium gig would suggest they have, and now enjoy what they do without any record company pressure.
Stuart, The Stone Roses,only two albums with a vocalist without a voice, ever seen Ian Brown live? Shocking.
100%, Under neon loneliness, motorcycle emptiness. Quite simple really, Climb back aboard your disco mothership! Prog lover.

I'm quite pissed off because the Manics played at 100 club last night and I found out too late, not that I would have got in.

Roll with it or Of walking abortion, Little by little or A design for life.
No comparison.
Nicky Wire on 15:20 - Sep 11 with 2487 viewsreal_loftus

Mel, you couldn't be more wrong if you tried......

* Grabs popcorn *

ATAF.

Nicky Wire on 15:22 - Sep 11 with 2486 viewsQPunkR

Whatt? They played the 100 Club last night?!
I would've loved to have gone along, crossing my fingers the whole time that they'd be rewinding to more of their earlier stuff

QPR - "shit but local"

Nicky Wire on 15:31 - Sep 11 with 2478 viewsSonofNorfolt

15 songs.
4 new, but others included Elvis Impersonator and the fantastic 'Revol'.

Lebensraum kulturkampf
Raus raus
Fila fila
Nicky Wire on 15:56 - Sep 11 with 2446 viewsQPRDave

I thought that was a removals firm
Nicky Wire on 16:02 - Sep 11 with 2460 viewssmegma

Nicky Wire on 15:09 - Sep 11 by SonofNorfolt

As this has now morphed into a Manics thread, I'll give my half a million quids worth.

The MSP, always seem to be misunderstood or misrepresented.

James Dean Bradfield is the driving force behind the band, musically anyway.
A brilliant singer, and guitarist / song writer for that matter.
Nicky Wire is the lyricist, duties which he shared with Richey Edwards,
At least they are real words as opposed to the sugary rubbish and cliches written by Noel Gallagher, Kelly Jones and whomever writes the Kings of Leon shiite.
To compare a song about the Spanish Civil War, 'If you tolerate this.............' to the karoake 'Moon in June' ready pop of the aforementioned is a travesty.
How anyone can compare the angst of The Holy Bible or even A Journal For Plague Lovers to anything other than an off shoot of punk? I don't know.
Rewind the film, their eleventh studio album is out next week, and their longevity is testament to their continued success.
As for whether or not they made it, headlining Glastonbury and the Millenium gig would suggest they have, and now enjoy what they do without any record company pressure.
Stuart, The Stone Roses,only two albums with a vocalist without a voice, ever seen Ian Brown live? Shocking.
100%, Under neon loneliness, motorcycle emptiness. Quite simple really, Climb back aboard your disco mothership! Prog lover.

I'm quite pissed off because the Manics played at 100 club last night and I found out too late, not that I would have got in.

Roll with it or Of walking abortion, Little by little or A design for life.
No comparison.

You're going all Nicky Wire on us now mentioning 'If You Tolerate This'. The man in eye shadow famously reckoned the Manics were more intellectual than other bands because they sung about the Spanish Civil War. So F*cking what ? The song is so bland even One Direction wouldn't cover it. And singing about a civil war some 80 years ago in another country doesn't make you an intellectual, especially if the actual song is total GASH.And claiming you're more cerebral than other bands actually makes them sound like a right ponces, and Mr Wire is. JDB is a good bloke though and a decent guitarist as is NW. They are just inverted snobs.

Talking of Mr Wire, I'm going to see his namesakes tomorrow night in Camden.
Nicky Wire on 17:33 - Sep 11 with 2433 viewssimmo

Nearly every song on Definitely Maybe shites on anything I have ever heard from MSP. But then I have never really been a fan or gone in depth on their albums/music. Obviosuly they have been going a long time and produced numerous albums that keeps fans selling out their gigs so more power to them, they are obviously doing something right. I just cant think of one song that I would place amongst my favourites or that I have to hold my hands up and say 'that is a brilliant song', depite growing up in the 90's when they seemed to be in their pomp.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Login to get fewer ads

Nicky Wire on 17:40 - Sep 11 with 2433 viewsrobith

Good to see a fellow fan, totally agree, can't believe people are putting them in with britpop! I mean Generation Terrorists sounds like Guns n Roses

If You Tolerate This is bobbins though.

I saw them at Brixton on a extra date on their greatest hits tour around 2003 when they played Wembley the night before. They started playing This Is Yesterday and I couldn't believe it. But James hit a bum note towards the end of the intro and went "Well, that's f**ked that then" and then they played something else.

19 year old me who spent the ages of 15-18 listening to pretty much nothing but the holy bible was totally crestfallen
Nicky Wire on 20:18 - Sep 11 with 2402 viewsElHoop

Well I saw them as Britpop because that's what they were when I saw them. I don't know their early stuff and no doubt it was better. As for Mumfords, I reckon that part of the crusade against them is down to their background. I don't particularly like them but they've developed a winning formula which plenty of other bands with more ability haven't. There's a lot of educational snobbery around but if a you took out a lot of old grammar schools then the 60s would have been knackered so far as British bands were concerned. Liverpool Institute, Quarrybank High, Acton County Grammar, Dartford Grammar, King Edward Vi Grammar, etc etc. Their modern day equivalents are probably being buzzed out of sink comprehensives and when they do manage to survive that experience and prosper they get accused of being thick and ordinary like Oasis. It's no wonder that so many bands are on the posh side these days.
Nicky Wire on 11:04 - Sep 12 with 2355 viewsQPunkR

Nicky Wire on 17:40 - Sep 11 by robith

Good to see a fellow fan, totally agree, can't believe people are putting them in with britpop! I mean Generation Terrorists sounds like Guns n Roses

If You Tolerate This is bobbins though.

I saw them at Brixton on a extra date on their greatest hits tour around 2003 when they played Wembley the night before. They started playing This Is Yesterday and I couldn't believe it. But James hit a bum note towards the end of the intro and went "Well, that's f**ked that then" and then they played something else.

19 year old me who spent the ages of 15-18 listening to pretty much nothing but the holy bible was totally crestfallen

Brilliant song, that.
Still disagree with them being lumped in with the Britpop movement, just seems a lazy attempt from the meeja at categorisation.
From mid-90s onwards, when they were brought into that collective fold, they just sounded tired to me
Sometimes I did used to think they might've been better breaking up after Generation Terrorists, as per their original plan, but then we would've never had The Holy Bible, A Design for Life and the incredible Sleepflower. Still my favourite riff of all time, that! And I taught myself the bassline to it just a few short weeks ago

QPR - "shit but local"

Nicky Wire on 11:39 - Sep 12 with 2330 viewsjo_qpr63

What's wrong with the Britpop movement? Some great bands,great songs,great era. Better then mumford&sons.Imho
[Post edited 12 Sep 2013 11:42]
Nicky Wire on 11:46 - Sep 12 with 2318 viewsQPunkR

Nicky Wire on 11:39 - Sep 12 by jo_qpr63

What's wrong with the Britpop movement? Some great bands,great songs,great era. Better then mumford&sons.Imho

Nowt wrong with the Britpop movement if you like that sort of thing.
Just saying that it's wrong to classify the Manics in that bracket, as they were something else entirely (at least at the beginning)

QPR - "shit but local"

Nicky Wire on 11:51 - Sep 12 with 2315 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Nicky Wire on 11:39 - Sep 12 by jo_qpr63

I used to work for a DJ that ran a britpop night in 1994/5 great times in Berwick St.

Le Scandal is an office block now.

No one cared, so you'd have Blur with Public Enemy, the Prodigy, Pantera and Metallica all in about 20mins followed by Pulp or Inspiral carpets. Now you'd get all sorts of tools objecting.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2013 11:51]

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Nicky Wire on 11:57 - Sep 12 with 2311 viewsjo_qpr63

Nicky Wire on 11:46 - Sep 12 by QPunkR

Nowt wrong with the Britpop movement if you like that sort of thing.
Just saying that it's wrong to classify the Manics in that bracket, as they were something else entirely (at least at the beginning)

Fair do's. They were/are a class act.
Nicky Wire on 12:13 - Sep 12 with 1979 viewsMonahoop

Don't mind the Manics, though their latest offerings are pretty poor. May be time to call it a day soon.

Mumford & Sons. Now I don't mind a bit of bluegrass style country now and then, but this lot even bore the hairs off my labradors arse. Same songs, same lyrics, 'I will this and I will that...' Jeez! Change the bloody record guys.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Nicky Wire on 16:53 - Sep 12 with 1935 viewsSonofNorfolt

Chris, I merely offered 'If you tolerate this..' as an example, The Love Of Richard Nixon, doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, Baby Elian, Rendition, SYMM amongst many others tackle 'real' issues.
Wire's comments are very tongue in cheek, and frankly, he is sharper than many within that industry.
A Design For Life is far superior to any song that Noel G has copied, I mean written, all I'm waiting for now is someone to compare them to fukkin Coldplay.
To the best of my knowledge they were never lumped in with the imaginary Britpop scene, it's just that 'Everything Must Go' was released at the same time.

Anyway my signed copy of Rewind The Film should be with me tomorrow, and i'll review it if you like. The clips I've heard haven't impressed me, but we'll see.
Nicky Wire on 23:30 - Sep 12 with 1903 viewswestolian

I've noticed you're bang on form lately

I'm not stalking you !

I've found a team sheet for the weekend - anyone interested ?

Nicky Wire on 23:47 - Sep 12 with 1884 viewsPlumsteadQPR

'The Holy Bible' is a monster of an album. Here endeth the lesson.
Nicky Wire on 01:30 - Sep 13 with 1875 viewsSonofNorfolt

Nicky Wire on 23:30 - Sep 12 by westolian

I've noticed you're bang on form lately

I'm not stalking you !

It's an astrological thing
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024