Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Some help please gentlemen 12:24 - Sep 11 with 7662 viewsreal_loftus

OK, so I've bitten the bullet and I'm taking my 7yr old to his first game at HQ for the Middlesborough game. We've got seats in the Lower Loft in the family area.

So in previous years, my routine has usually consisted of an early meet in The Bush, followed by enough Kronenbourg to kill a small mammal and a bleary journey home at some point in the evening. So clearly my match-day experience is about to change considerably.

For those with younger kids, whats the best pre-match drill to keep them entertained and interested? What time do the players arrive, and where's the best place to get photos/autographs etc? What are the best kid-friendly boozers for a cheeky beer? Any other successful hints and tips to make this an enjoyable experience for me and for him?

Ta

ATAF.

Some help please gentlemen on 12:37 - Sep 11 with 6470 viewsWokingR

Don't know if it's still there with all the changes going on at the BBC but my daughter always got excited walking past the tv centre to see the Prank Patrol bus parked outside.
Also Fire & Stone in the Westfield Centre is highly recommended for a kid friendly pizza before or after.
Then its all about drinks and treats to make him want to come back and hope we win as sitting next to a moody pissed off dad doesn't help.
Some help please gentlemen on 12:37 - Sep 11 with 6469 viewsW7Ranger

Take a DS/DSI/3DS with you!
Some help please gentlemen on 12:53 - Sep 11 with 6417 viewsswisscottage

Some help please gentlemen on 12:37 - Sep 11 by W7Ranger

Take a DS/DSI/3DS with you!

I've taken my niece and nephew from and early age.

My niece loved it an was immediately hooked, but it wasn't until she got past 9 or 10 that the attention span started moving to the whole game. Obviously every kid is different, and if he's been brought up with footy on the box at home and is already a fan, then he may be able to last the whole match, but just in case he gets bored have something with you for him to play with.

My Nephew on the other hand, wasn't happy with the crowds or the noise levels and for him a set of headphones was absolutely necessary with a DS as his attention span was about 20 minutes. He's better now, but he's more into his rugby than footy or QPR.

Nando's on the Uxbridge road always goes down well with the kids ... but now my niece and nephew are teenagers moving up to Jamie's kitchen or other restaurants at Westfield is a nice treat for them.

Get into the ground early and then he get go to the front of the loft and get autographs from players whilst they warm up. We did this a couple of occasions in the paddock, and the kids love to see the players up close... especially if they already have their favorites.

Also take some sweets or snacks with you.

Anyway I hope he has a good time and loves it.
Some help please gentlemen on 13:10 - Sep 11 with 6363 viewsactonman

Probably no help at all but my boy comes to every game with me (he,s 9 and been coming since he was 4 or 5.
His day generally consists of sitting in the car or train for a couple of hours while we travel down, getting a McDonald's and watching me neck a couple from the off licence on the way to the ground.
Then after watching whatever is served up on the pitch (which hasn't been a lot for the past couple of years) we do it all again on the way home.

Doesn't sound very exciting for a nine year old (or me reading that back) but he loves it and you can't beat the feeling watching him singing and doing a proper mental when we score !
Some help please gentlemen on 13:29 - Sep 11 with 6328 viewsjo_qpr63

Make sure they eat well before game otherwise, if they are like my kids ,they will be nagging all game. Bring sweets with you.
Some help please gentlemen on 13:38 - Sep 11 with 6310 viewsbigstevec

My 7 year old loves spending 3 hrs at the Springbok before a game.
Some help please gentlemen on 13:42 - Sep 11 with 6301 viewsbaz_qpr

Am doing the same, see you in the lower loft.

Will be bringing DS for picture taking, sweets and pop and will be going for breakfast / lunch at a greasy spoon beforehand
Some help please gentlemen on 13:57 - Sep 11 with 6281 viewsA40Bosh

Some help please gentlemen on 13:42 - Sep 11 by baz_qpr

Am doing the same, see you in the lower loft.

Will be bringing DS for picture taking, sweets and pop and will be going for breakfast / lunch at a greasy spoon beforehand

and make sure they go to the bog every five minutes BEFORE kick off time - ortherwise they will be wanting to go to the bog every five minutes AFTER kick off time.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Login to get fewer ads

Some help please gentlemen on 14:14 - Sep 11 with 6246 viewsLewes_r

Some help please gentlemen on 13:38 - Sep 11 by bigstevec

Poll: Who do we want down with us and Burnley?

Some help please gentlemen on 15:42 - Sep 11 with 6155 viewsSonofNorfolt

I'm not taking mine as it will ruin their lives.

It also means I have to leave the pub early, so it will ruin mine.
Some help please gentlemen on 15:52 - Sep 11 with 6136 viewskingsburyR

Some help please gentlemen on 13:38 - Sep 11 by bigstevec

Seriously?????????????????????????????????????????????????/

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Some help please gentlemen on 18:11 - Sep 11 with 6071 viewsted_hendrix

Stuart, keep the lad away from you know who.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Some help please gentlemen on 18:14 - Sep 11 with 6068 viewshoopstilidie

My daughter's first game was away at Forest. She was 11.

I took her to Hooters.

I'm going to burn aren't I?

Ringo Starr ate my hamper.
Poll: Yes or no?

Some help please gentlemen on 19:58 - Sep 11 with 5989 viewsTW_R

I would head to the shop and get an autograph book.

I've only ever seen the players arrive once, at the Spurs game last year. I think it was a couple of hours before KO. Most seem to park in the School End car park and go in the entrance to the stadium at that end of the stadium to the right of the shop. That was an early kick off, so not sure if they get there earlier for a 3pm. Might be worth doing a reckie on Saturday?

In the stadium it looks like they've upped their game for the kids so probably worth going in early, getting photos with the mascot etc.

Edit:- And stay off platform 3
[Post edited 11 Sep 2013 19:59]
Some help please gentlemen on 20:02 - Sep 11 with 5980 viewsHayesender

Took my son to his first game last season and he loved it.

Wasn't sure how he'd handle the crowds or the noise as he has aspergers, but it wasn't an issue at all.

Poor little Bugger didn't even moan when I took him into the springbok

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Some help please gentlemen on 20:19 - Sep 11 with 5951 viewslondonscottish

Have they relaxed the (PL) rules at the Bok so you can drink outside again? I've been away for all the home games so far so haven't managed to check it out.

That used to work fine when I took my boy (then 6). The last two seasons has meant going in and even upstairs he hates it. So now it's a no no when he's with me.

Failing that I started going to the North Pole. Now that is closed, the Pavillion. Or if I'm meeting my mates from South London somewhere in the outside food/drink area of Westfield. All very forgettable chains there but you can get a few scoops in/keeps the kids happy.

The Crown and Sceptre is fine but on the opposite diagonal from the direction I'm coming from. So rarely make it there.

On the way home I often go to the Elgin on Ladbroke Grove as It's an old local of mine, my mate runs it and there's a QPR s't holder behind the bar.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Some help please gentlemen on 20:47 - Sep 11 with 5926 viewsdaveB

I've started taking my 4 year old son this season, my pre match routine is basically the same as last year, few beers in the white horse and he is quite happy playing on my phone or his with his toys plus we go with a few other parents so always other kids for him to mix with.

At the ground the club are doing good things for the kids, worth getting to the ground about half two/ twenty to three. Kid can meet Spark if he likes that sort of thing (most seem to love it) and they do a football bingo card whre you tick off corners, goals, shots etc, that keeps them interested in the game. No kid is going to sit and watch the full 90 minutes on his first time so worth having games on your phone or a ds so he can keep himself amused during the game Noise may also be an issue, mine was petrified of the noise at first but is getting used to it. An mp3 player or ear muffs usually help.

god luck with it, it's hard work and a very different match day experience but will be worth it in the end
Some help please gentlemen on 21:51 - Sep 11 with 5876 viewsPablo_Hoopsta

It was the Smuts when I were a lad with my dad, i thought it was great! Standing in the lower Loft was all the entertainment I needed, but ah how times have changed and we have to scrape our knees on the backs of seats now *sigh*

I'd suggest toys (3ds etc), sweets/snacks and plenty of toilet breaks! When are you planning this? I'll be bringing my nephew before long, poor sod lives in Lewisham so gotta get the Hoops on him!
Some help please gentlemen on 21:56 - Sep 11 with 5873 viewsDeano19766

Fcuk me, what's all this bring a DS bullshite? If you're bringing them to the game then they can watch the game, and if they don;t like it then don;t bring them again. It's that simple. We all managed at Loftus Road without a DS when we were kids, so why should todays spoilt little shites be any different?
Some help please gentlemen on 21:59 - Sep 11 with 5869 viewsPablo_Hoopsta

Some help please gentlemen on 21:56 - Sep 11 by Deano19766

Fcuk me, what's all this bring a DS bullshite? If you're bringing them to the game then they can watch the game, and if they don;t like it then don;t bring them again. It's that simple. We all managed at Loftus Road without a DS when we were kids, so why should todays spoilt little shites be any different?

Because they have the attention span of a nat and let's face it we are hardly a big name in the playground, we need every fan who will turn up, admittedly watching and cheering rather than playing DS but if that's what it takes to get the lad interested why not lay off and let father and son have a good day out?
Some help please gentlemen on 22:04 - Sep 11 with 5859 viewsDeano19766

Some help please gentlemen on 21:59 - Sep 11 by Pablo_Hoopsta

Because they have the attention span of a nat and let's face it we are hardly a big name in the playground, we need every fan who will turn up, admittedly watching and cheering rather than playing DS but if that's what it takes to get the lad interested why not lay off and let father and son have a good day out?

I guess what you mean is let father have a good day out while son is bored off his tits and resorts to playing on his hand held computer to alleviate the boredom??? If they don;t want to watch the football, leave them at home to play on their DS! Why force them to come along if they are not interested and would rather play computer games???? As I said in last post, we all managed without such thungs and just enjoyed the football. If they would rather play a computer game then they are clearly not interested so leave them at home rather than being a selfish dad forcing them to do something you want to do but which they don't want to do!
[Post edited 11 Sep 2013 22:07]
Some help please gentlemen on 22:07 - Sep 11 with 5851 viewsPablo_Hoopsta

Some help please gentlemen on 22:04 - Sep 11 by Deano19766

I guess what you mean is let father have a good day out while son is bored off his tits and resorts to playing on his hand held computer to alleviate the boredom??? If they don;t want to watch the football, leave them at home to play on their DS! Why force them to come along if they are not interested and would rather play computer games???? As I said in last post, we all managed without such thungs and just enjoyed the football. If they would rather play a computer game then they are clearly not interested so leave them at home rather than being a selfish dad forcing them to do something you want to do but which they don't want to do!
[Post edited 11 Sep 2013 22:07]

I'm not a parent but guess you're not either?
Some help please gentlemen on 22:11 - Sep 11 with 5838 viewsPablo_Hoopsta

That's a crafty edit, Deano

In any case, I disagree.
Some help please gentlemen on 22:16 - Sep 11 with 5828 viewsDeano19766

Some help please gentlemen on 22:11 - Sep 11 by Pablo_Hoopsta

That's a crafty edit, Deano

In any case, I disagree.

Thought I had better not insult/abuse anyone....
Some help please gentlemen on 22:33 - Sep 11 with 5815 viewsPablo_Hoopsta

Some help please gentlemen on 22:16 - Sep 11 by Deano19766

Thought I had better not insult/abuse anyone....

We're all friends here!

That said, I think it's a parents right....nay...obligation, to take their offspring to the football and by hook or by crook they will learn to love the Hoops!

Just not near me, please, can't stand kids personally, my good lady and I are quite happy with our cats for now, dogs to follow....
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024