Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Peoples thoughts please 13:02 - Feb 11 with 2092 viewsloftboy

Two years ago I booked a holiday for myself and one of my sons for last year, when that was cancelled I transferred it to this year, I’m pretty sure that it will again be cancelled flying out on 5th July, now my dilemma is I could cancel now but lose the deposit part, or wait until they cancel and get a full refund, thing that’s bothering me is that I reckon the travel industry is going to be in big trouble and by then there may not be the money in the lot to pay back, haven’t a clue how the ABTA guarantee works as never had this before. What would you do?

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Peoples thoughts please on 13:15 - Feb 11 with 2048 viewsstowmarketrange

It depends on whether you paid by credit card or not.If you paid on the card,you should get a full refund from them if the travel firm go bust or can’t pay.Or did you take out travel insurance at the time?You might be covered on that.

We booked 4 days in Spain for my nephew’s 40th in April,but that has been delayed until next March.But the cost has gone up another £100 per person.They don’t miss a trick do they?
Peoples thoughts please on 13:26 - Feb 11 with 2017 viewsloftboy

Peoples thoughts please on 13:15 - Feb 11 by stowmarketrange

It depends on whether you paid by credit card or not.If you paid on the card,you should get a full refund from them if the travel firm go bust or can’t pay.Or did you take out travel insurance at the time?You might be covered on that.

We booked 4 days in Spain for my nephew’s 40th in April,but that has been delayed until next March.But the cost has gone up another £100 per person.They don’t miss a trick do they?

I paid by instalments for the original holiday to Spain, I transferred the credit to this other one to Rhodes and paid a bit extra for decent seats on the plane, it’s booked through TUI and although a decent company have this nagging doubt that they will go the same way as Thomas Cook.
[Post edited 11 Feb 2021 13:28]

Peoples thoughts please on 13:35 - Feb 11 with 1978 viewsstowmarketrange

Peoples thoughts please on 13:26 - Feb 11 by loftboy

I paid by instalments for the original holiday to Spain, I transferred the credit to this other one to Rhodes and paid a bit extra for decent seats on the plane, it’s booked through TUI and although a decent company have this nagging doubt that they will go the same way as Thomas Cook.
[Post edited 11 Feb 2021 13:28]

You should be covered by the abta guarantee if the firm goes bust then,but how long you’d have to wait for a refund is anyone’s guess.There must a lot of people in the same situation I’d guess.

How can anyone book anything now with any confidence that it will go ahead?Especially if you have to pay £1750 each to sit in a grotty hotel afterwards.And they wonder why travel companies are going bust.
Peoples thoughts please on 13:59 - Feb 11 with 1869 viewsrrrspricey

Peoples thoughts please on 13:35 - Feb 11 by stowmarketrange

You should be covered by the abta guarantee if the firm goes bust then,but how long you’d have to wait for a refund is anyone’s guess.There must a lot of people in the same situation I’d guess.

How can anyone book anything now with any confidence that it will go ahead?Especially if you have to pay £1750 each to sit in a grotty hotel afterwards.And they wonder why travel companies are going bust.

I booked a trip to Egypt with TUI for last May and chose to have credit rather than a refund when it was cancelled as the offer was for the original price + 20%.

Am now seriously considering a refund as would rather have the 2k tucked away safely than risk it for the sake of an extra £400
Peoples thoughts please on 14:08 - Feb 11 with 1833 viewsnick_hammersmith

If TUI are making these offers they are probably in the shit.
Stick or twist? I’d want my money back, but I guess if everyone does this then the company probably goes bust
Peoples thoughts please on 14:15 - Feb 11 with 1812 viewsBklynRanger

It's not looking good at the moment mate, but I think it still just about makes sense to wait and see.

There's a lot of talk from the govt about setting out plans on 22nd Feb. Who knows what they'll say but at least you might know a bit more then and be able to make a marginally more informed decision. 5th of July I think is going to be around that time when things may be a bit more optimistic and a smidgen more relaxed- but that's obviously total, total, speculation.

I've got a couple of trips I'm sort of waiting and seeing on for now because I don't want to be in a situation where it's possible to actually go somewhere but I cancelled ages ago.

This red list is the biggest fly in the ointment at the moment as said - the idea of them suddenly sticking the country that you're on holiday in on that list and its 1750 each for 10 days in an airless 3 star box out at Heathrow - that's going to be more than enough to put a lot of people off.

(None of which is intended to sound political or even critical tbh - I'm too far beyond fcuked with it all to get into any of that).
Peoples thoughts please on 14:29 - Feb 11 with 1769 viewsTomS

I had a similar experience with an airline. If the airline cancel the flight, then they can't fulfil their contract and you should be given the option of a refund.

If they don't cancel it, but you simply don't want to travel, they are under no obligation to give you a refund as they didn't break the contract. They will offer to reschedule your flight, but the price will usually not be the same.

If you paid by credit card and the airline cancels the flight, but refuses to offer a refund, go to your credit card company and ask for a "charge back" . Give them the details around the cancellation and evidence of your efforts to get a refund directly from the airline. They will give you a full refund to your card and they will take the money from the airline. This benefit does not apply to debit cards.
Peoples thoughts please on 14:41 - Feb 11 with 1732 viewsstowmarketrange

Peoples thoughts please on 14:29 - Feb 11 by TomS

I had a similar experience with an airline. If the airline cancel the flight, then they can't fulfil their contract and you should be given the option of a refund.

If they don't cancel it, but you simply don't want to travel, they are under no obligation to give you a refund as they didn't break the contract. They will offer to reschedule your flight, but the price will usually not be the same.

If you paid by credit card and the airline cancels the flight, but refuses to offer a refund, go to your credit card company and ask for a "charge back" . Give them the details around the cancellation and evidence of your efforts to get a refund directly from the airline. They will give you a full refund to your card and they will take the money from the airline. This benefit does not apply to debit cards.

Explained so much better than I ever could.
Login to get fewer ads

Peoples thoughts please on 15:36 - Feb 11 with 1656 viewsloftboy

Just got off the phone to them, the fact my sons school year is being extended means they may offer a full refund, otherwise I’ll lose £400 they are ringing me back shortly, so fingers crossed.

Peoples thoughts please on 21:15 - Feb 11 with 1452 viewsDubaiR

Like most our 2020 with tui got cancelled. I used the credit plus 300 incentive to book the Dominican for July.

Am doubtful it will go ahead and getting nervous, cash in or stick.

Problem is again like most am desperate for a holiday. I refuse to go in UK, not because of anything else other than it will cost almost as much. 10 nights in a hotel plus eating and drinking out in UK for a family of 4 ain't cheap.
Peoples thoughts please on 10:23 - Feb 23 with 1146 views2Thomas2Bowles

How's it looking now?

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Peoples thoughts please on 11:13 - Feb 23 with 1049 viewsBlackCrowe

Peoples thoughts please on 10:23 - Feb 23 by 2Thomas2Bowles

How's it looking now?

I'm going to book a couple of trip for post-May in the next couple of days.

So i reckon we'll be able to get on flights from June no problem. the challenge is knowing what countries will take us and under what terms.

Greece for example is making very welcoming noises, but is talking about needing tourists to arrive with proof of vaccine (whatever that looks like). Which should be fine for first jabbers like me and Mrs Crowe but not for young Crowes - so how does that work.

But i'll book anyway as long as i can no-quibble refunds if it can't happen.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Peoples thoughts please on 13:40 - Feb 23 with 925 viewswood_hoop

Peoples thoughts please on 11:13 - Feb 23 by BlackCrowe

I'm going to book a couple of trip for post-May in the next couple of days.

So i reckon we'll be able to get on flights from June no problem. the challenge is knowing what countries will take us and under what terms.

Greece for example is making very welcoming noises, but is talking about needing tourists to arrive with proof of vaccine (whatever that looks like). Which should be fine for first jabbers like me and Mrs Crowe but not for young Crowes - so how does that work.

But i'll book anyway as long as i can no-quibble refunds if it can't happen.

'The Prime Minister has confirmed that a review into the deployment of so-called vaccine passports will take place.

Boris Johnson said the Government wanted to determine whether offering “Covid status certificates” could help venues to open again.'

From saying not interested a couple of weeks back now going to review the situation, can see this going in circles for a while but would be no surpise come July that a 'passport' need be shown in a lot of places in the UK to gain entry.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/uk-vaccine-passport-review-covid-roadma
Peoples thoughts please on 13:48 - Feb 23 with 910 viewsdaveB

see if you can move the holiday. We booked a trip to Florida for May 2020 but moved it to July 2021 and now moving it to next year as still can't see if being back to normal in America by July
Peoples thoughts please on 15:41 - Feb 23 with 818 viewsrrrspricey

Peoples thoughts please on 13:40 - Feb 23 by wood_hoop

'The Prime Minister has confirmed that a review into the deployment of so-called vaccine passports will take place.

Boris Johnson said the Government wanted to determine whether offering “Covid status certificates” could help venues to open again.'

From saying not interested a couple of weeks back now going to review the situation, can see this going in circles for a while but would be no surpise come July that a 'passport' need be shown in a lot of places in the UK to gain entry.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/uk-vaccine-passport-review-covid-roadma

With football ground potentially being one of them
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024