Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
stand up Chris Charles - top bloke 08:43 - Nov 20 with 3193 viewssevenhoop

I couldn't let Chris' incredible kindness and thoughtfulness from last night pass without public appreciation and thanks.

Background is that there are 3 generations of us that go to all home R's games and have done for a very very long time. Sit in Ellerslie. My mum and dad are respectively 86 and (almost) 89. My dad has been going since before the war, me a season ticket holder since 1966, my son Tom for the last 25 out of his 30 years. Using Dad's disabled badge, we are able to park on the Uxbridge Road (close to the KFC), to make the walk as short as possible, especially for my dad who has breathing difficulties and is a bit unsteady these days. Anyway, last night, having parked up, we of course couldn't go the usual route and had to go the long way round via Loftus Road, mum in tears at the drama of so many police and dogs and concerned about dad. Me and my son Tom of course stayed with them the whole way, as they struggled along, and were walking up the stairs of Ellerslie just to hear the cheer as Chris Willock scored. No matter, we could always catch the highlights later on.

Mum and dad always leave 5 minutes early, to avoid the rush out and to get to the car as soon as they can. And did that last night, none of us thinking that the usual way out turning right out of Ellerslie would be blocked still. And as me and Tom rushed out at the end, we must have overtaken them without realising. Got to the car and they weren't there. And here's where Chris Charles comes in. I walked back to find them to help them along, soon met them being accompanied by this lovely gentlemen who they explained had come across them early on the trip back, asked how they were, walked with them in the crowds at their very pedestrian pace and would not leave them (despite the allure of the pub!) all the way. And with me in tow, he saw them right back to the car. And that's when he told me who he was, a bloke I have been listing to on the pod for years!

He showed incredible kindness, he had no idea of the state my mum was in (more worried for my dad than herself) and I cannot express enough our thanks and how that random act of kindness has moved us all. Chris is a top bloke and a real credit to himself, his family and the QPR community.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2021 11:51]
stand up Chris Charles - top bloke on 09:20 - Nov 20 with 3003 viewsKensal_Ranger

Marvelous act of generosity - proper gentleman.
stand up Chris Charles - top bloke on 09:24 - Nov 20 with 2982 viewsMick_S

stand up Chris Charles - top bloke on 09:20 - Nov 20 by Kensal_Ranger

Marvelous act of generosity - proper gentleman.

He’s a good man.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

stand up Chris Charles - top bloke on 09:28 - Nov 20 with 2939 viewsted_hendrix

A good story-thanks for posting.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

stand up Chris Charles - top bloke on 09:33 - Nov 20 with 2897 viewshook_hoops

Thanks for posting that lovely story and well done Chris, you’re a true gentleman.
stand up Chris Charles - top bloke on 10:01 - Nov 20 with 2801 viewsdavman

Great story and credit to CC.

Really hacks me off when we read this. No reason for the level of disruption to everyone last night; this could have all been planned in advance instead of the, frankly, ad hoc instinctive reactionary activity the Met put in place.

Your parents deserve to be in the stadium and deserve to be able to walk safely to and from the game. If Lootown and Millwall are this much trouble, either ban them or find some other way of kettling them.

When we were stopped at the Uxbridge Road, a mob of angry QPR fans started to congregate, so all that achieved was two things: 1. A line to goad the Luton fans 2. A late rush to the turnstiles, a safety issue in itself.

It's just football at the end of the day, why do we as a society put up with the mindless minority who want to taunt, then fight oppo fans?

Didn't like it in the 80s and hate it more now.

Hope your parents have an enjoyable rest of the season...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

stand up Chris Charles - top bloke on 10:24 - Nov 20 with 2746 viewsterryb

Thanks for posting this story.

Please send this to the club so that they can publicly praise Chris. I doubt that he would wish for any publicity, but this act of kindness needs to be celebrated.
stand up Chris Charles - top bloke on 10:44 - Nov 20 with 2692 viewsngbqpr

stand up Chris Charles - top bloke on 10:01 - Nov 20 by davman

Really hacks me off when we read this. No reason for the level of disruption to everyone last night; this could have all been planned in advance instead of the, frankly, ad hoc instinctive reactionary activity the Met put in place.

Your parents deserve to be in the stadium and deserve to be able to walk safely to and from the game. If Lootown and Millwall are this much trouble, either ban them or find some other way of kettling them.

When we were stopped at the Uxbridge Road, a mob of angry QPR fans started to congregate, so all that achieved was two things: 1. A line to goad the Luton fans 2. A late rush to the turnstiles, a safety issue in itself.

It's just football at the end of the day, why do we as a society put up with the mindless minority who want to taunt, then fight oppo fans?

This, couldn't agree more davman.

Can't help thinking the glorification of the bad old days in Green St type films and an endless churn of 'top boy' biographies is why each new generation of fans sees it as 'just part of the game' and a rite of passage.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

(No subject) (n/t) on 10:45 - Nov 20 with 2688 viewsngbqpr

stand up Chris Charles - top bloke on 10:01 - Nov 20 by davman

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Login to get fewer ads

stand up Chris Charles - top bloke on 16:25 - Nov 20 with 2328 viewsNorthernr

Top man. Needed a little help of his own by the end of the night mind
stand up Chris Charles - top bloke on 16:47 - Nov 20 with 2231 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Thanks for posting, sevenhoop.

Lovely story.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

stand up Chris Charles - top bloke on 17:29 - Nov 20 with 2139 viewsSuperhoop83

stand up Chris Charles - top bloke on 16:25 - Nov 20 by Northernr

Top man. Needed a little help of his own by the end of the night mind

Good job he was late to the pub then.

Suffering since 1978.

stand up Chris Charles - top bloke on 19:58 - Nov 20 with 1985 viewsAshteadR

That’s a real touch of class. Makes you proud to be Rangers
stand up Chris Charles - top bloke on 21:46 - Nov 20 with 1812 viewssevenhoop

stand up Chris Charles - top bloke on 19:58 - Nov 20 by AshteadR

That’s a real touch of class. Makes you proud to be Rangers

Class. And when you see the other threads, just makes you realise just how great Chris was but also that people of my parents’ age just cannot go any more to games like this.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024