Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brentford Types 21:19 - Aug 21 with 3964 viewsBoston

This your highest ever league position?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Brentford Types on 21:58 - Aug 21 with 3857 viewsdenhamhoop2

No they were top of Division One for about 3 weeks in the year they came 5th and became the first side to go from 1st to 92nd in the league
Brentford Types on 00:20 - Aug 22 with 3692 viewsNewBee

Further to 'denhamhoop2',

1932/33 - 1st (of 22), 3rd Division South
1933/34 - 4th/22, 2nd Division
1934/35 - 1st/22, 2nd Division
1935/36 - 5th/22, 1st Division (London's highest club)
1936/37 - 6th/22, 1st Division
1937/38 - 6th/22, 1st Division (Top on 16th October, FA Cup Qtr. Finalists)
1938/39 - 18th/22, 1st Division
1939/45 - Football League suspended (won 1941/42 London War Cup)
1945/46 - League still suspended (FA Cup Qtr. Finalists)
1946/47 - 21st/22, 1st Division (one of two teams relegated, the other being Leeds)

1947 - 2021 - Ah Bollox!

2021/22 - Halleleujah!

So basically, if it hadn't been for that b*****d Hitler, we'd probably be up there with Real Madrid et al by now.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2023 0:33]
Brentford Types on 00:31 - Aug 22 with 3683 viewsNewBee

Brentford Types on 21:58 - Aug 21 by denhamhoop2

No they were top of Division One for about 3 weeks in the year they came 5th and became the first side to go from 1st to 92nd in the league

I thought it was 1937/38 (finished 6th) when we topped the league, not 1935/36 (5th), but could be wrong?

Didn't know that about 1st - 92nd. Subsequently, Northampton Town went from the 4th Division to the 1st Division and back to the 4th Division again between 1960/61 and 1969/70 i.e. 3 x promotions followed by 3 x relegations in just 10 seasons.

I suspect they experienced more excitement in that decade than in all of the other 116 years of their existence!
Brentford Types on 01:28 - Aug 22 with 3646 viewsBoston

Brentford Types on 00:31 - Aug 22 by NewBee

I thought it was 1937/38 (finished 6th) when we topped the league, not 1935/36 (5th), but could be wrong?

Didn't know that about 1st - 92nd. Subsequently, Northampton Town went from the 4th Division to the 1st Division and back to the 4th Division again between 1960/61 and 1969/70 i.e. 3 x promotions followed by 3 x relegations in just 10 seasons.

I suspect they experienced more excitement in that decade than in all of the other 116 years of their existence!

cobblers.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Brentford Types on 10:29 - Aug 22 with 3392 viewsRs_Holy

incredible how they just keep getting better each season... Must be aiming for European qualification this season?... shirley?
Brentford Types on 10:35 - Aug 22 with 3375 viewsHoopstar

Do you find your supporter base is growing significantly with the new stadium and enhanced profile? With the Bees being, almost, an 'established' premier league side I wondered if you're starting to attract a greater % of Londoners buying into the club.

My old man bought a Brentford membership to get tickets for Prem games my two non-QPR supporting brothers (Liverpool, why?) and it seems really easy to get tickets for home games currently? Not meaning this as a knock, just curious as I thought at this stage of your transition it would have been a lot harder to get tickets.

I've always liked Brentford unlike many of my fellow QPR fans as two of my best friends from childhood were and are Brentford STers, and I've been to dozens of games at Griffin Park over the years but not visited the new stadium as yet.
Brentford Types on 10:58 - Aug 22 with 3333 viewsMarshy67

Yep I'm with Hoopstar on this one.I've always had a soft spot for Brentford.I was too young to make sense of the 1967 "Rangers to take over Griffin Park" controversy which is where a lot of the rivalry stemmed from.
I do remember going to see the Bees-starting back in 1966 with my old man- every other week when Rangers were away.
The big attraction being that under the the Brook Road end terrace there was a programme shop.Always busy on match days and I would come away with a couple of different clubs programmes every other week.
Most memorable game December 9 1967 FA Cup round 1 versus Guildford City.
Snow falling heavier and heavier and the game eventually abandoned in the second half.
Good times but not as good as turning up at the Bush every other Saturday and being mesmerized by King Rodney.My all time favourite Ranger.
Brentford Types on 11:32 - Aug 22 with 3231 viewssprocket

Best get used to it. They will be ahead of QPR for some time
Login to get fewer ads

Brentford Types on 11:43 - Aug 22 with 3180 viewsBushRanger82

Won't be long before they're trying to cram 19000 into that 18000 capacity stadium.
The sky's the limit, innit?
Brentford Types on 12:51 - Aug 22 with 3065 viewsdaveB

Brentford Types on 11:43 - Aug 22 by BushRanger82

Won't be long before they're trying to cram 19000 into that 18000 capacity stadium.
The sky's the limit, innit?

bonus for them is that if it all goes tits up one day and they plummet back down to league one they don't have a mega stadium thats empty every week, they'll still be filling it. Got to admire them, they've been run run brilliantly the last 10 years
Brentford Types on 12:57 - Aug 22 with 3025 viewsNewBee

Brentford Types on 10:35 - Aug 22 by Hoopstar

Do you find your supporter base is growing significantly with the new stadium and enhanced profile? With the Bees being, almost, an 'established' premier league side I wondered if you're starting to attract a greater % of Londoners buying into the club.

My old man bought a Brentford membership to get tickets for Prem games my two non-QPR supporting brothers (Liverpool, why?) and it seems really easy to get tickets for home games currently? Not meaning this as a knock, just curious as I thought at this stage of your transition it would have been a lot harder to get tickets.

I've always liked Brentford unlike many of my fellow QPR fans as two of my best friends from childhood were and are Brentford STers, and I've been to dozens of games at Griffin Park over the years but not visited the new stadium as yet.

Depends how you define "significantly". Fifteen or twenty years ago in L1 or L2, we were averaging c.5k at games, almost all of them older, hard core fans.

Five or six years ago, we had got this up to 10k(ish) - similar profile.

Now we're in the PL, it's 15k home fans just about every game, and I'd say that the extras are mostly (a ) newer, younger fans whom we'd not previously have attracted in preference to other London clubs; but also (b ) families/women/girls etc who appreciate the facilities and comfort at the Gtech; (c ) a few fans of big name clubs who have BFC as their "second" team, some of whom may convert eventually? and (d ) day trippers, ground hoppers and tourists, incl overseas, who simply cannot get tickets for bigger PL clubs.

As for it being "really easy" to get tickets etc, your old man must be pretty quick in the "fastest fingers first" race, since while there is reasonable advance availability for many games, seats for all PL games are invariably "Sold Out" come kick off.

Tbf, demand from Bees fans has held up even after the new stadium/PL novelty has worn off, but were we to get relegated in the next season or two, then attendances would doubtless suffer. As against that, if we can stay in the PL for another few seasons, while remaining competitive, I genuinely believe we can convert some of our recent new fans into regulars/diehards, even if subsequently relegated*.

Overall I'd say the club is doing better than expected when it comes to support, but these things do take time to bed in completely. And without meaning to have a dig, but I think QPR should be worried about their own long term prospects for support, at least if both Fulham and BFC continue to do well.

* - Ticket prices would have to be reduced, mind, esp if the economy was still lagging behind.
Brentford Types on 13:13 - Aug 22 with 2954 viewsNewBee

Brentford Types on 10:29 - Aug 22 by Rs_Holy

incredible how they just keep getting better each season... Must be aiming for European qualification this season?... shirley?

Though I don't know what targets he has set for this campaign - league position, European qualification, points per game, Cup runs etc - you can be certain that under Matthew Benham, BFC will ALWAYS be looking to improve, season-in, season-out.

This relentlessness was best exemplified in the aftermath of our play-off final defeat to Fulham in 2020. Apparently within an hour of the final whistle, he was holding a meeting at Wembley with his key lieutenants to discuss their plans for the new season ahead.
Brentford Types on 13:30 - Aug 22 with 2922 viewsNewBee

Brentford Types on 12:51 - Aug 22 by daveB

bonus for them is that if it all goes tits up one day and they plummet back down to league one they don't have a mega stadium thats empty every week, they'll still be filling it. Got to admire them, they've been run run brilliantly the last 10 years

Indeed. As a fan since boyhood, Benham knew the importance of staying within Brentford, rather than building a bigger new stadium outwith our traditional catchment area.

But he's not not blinded by romantic notions either. For he has said that even with the new stadium, the club cannot be financially sustainable in the long term without regular PL football. Which is why he amended his original plan for a 20k capacity at the new site - the accountants advised him that replacing regular places with premium seating and hospitality etc would bring in greater revenue, even with a 2.5k reduction in overall capacity to 17.5k.

I can't help wondering whether he hasn't also got a long term vision for the club - he has hinted, for instance, that he intends eventually to hand the club on to his (teenaged?) son. Perhaps he's hoping that another 15-odd years of PL, even European, riches will allow him to purchase another site in or around TW8, big enough to build a 30k successor stadium to the GTech?

(OK, after 4 points from our first two games this season, I'm probably getting a bit ahead of myself... )
Brentford Types on 17:14 - Aug 22 with 2776 viewsswitchingcode

Brentford Types on 10:35 - Aug 22 by Hoopstar

On the field club have done a superb job off the field it’s another story they could t give a toss about long standing ( suffering ) fans.
Brentford Types on 17:17 - Aug 22 with 2771 viewsswitchingcode

Brentford Types on 12:51 - Aug 22 by daveB

Wont be a sad day for me when we eventually go back to the championship
Brentford Types on 12:07 - Aug 23 with 2506 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

Here's something I don't understand about Brentford; in the last two years, the following managerial changes have occurred at Premier League clubs:

- Tottenham sacked Conte and appointed Postecoglu.
- Leicester sacked Rodgers and appointed Smith.
- Leeds sacked Marsh and appointed Gracia.
- Chelsea sacked Tuchel and appointed Potter.
- Brighton lost Potter and appointed De Zerbi.
- Palace sacked Vieira and appointed Hodgson.
- Southampton sacked Hassenhuttl and appointed Jones.
- Everton sacked Lampard and appointed Dyche.
- Wolves sacked Lage and appointed Lopetegui.
- Villa sacked Gerrard and appointed Emery.
- Man Utd sacked Ragnick and appointed ten Hag.
- Leeds sacked Bielsa and appointed Marsh.
- Man Utd sacked Solskjaer and appointed Ragnick.
- Everton sacked Benitez and appointed Lampard (LOL!)
- Villa sacked Smith and appointed Gerrard.
- Newcastle sacked Bruce and appointed Howe.
- Tottenham sacked Nuno and appointed Conte.

And to the best of my knowledge / memory... At no point has Thomas Frank really been a serious contender for any of those jobs. Maybe it's just because I haven't paid any attention but it feels like to me not a single club has so much as fluttered their eyelashes Frank's way.

Admittedly there are a lot of jobs in that list that feel completely wrong for him... But why doesn't he get any attention from other clubs whatsoever, given what he's done since he arrived at Brentford?
Brentford Types on 12:15 - Aug 23 with 2496 viewskernowhoop

Brentford Types on 12:07 - Aug 23 by Padulas_Shampoo

Here's something I don't understand about Brentford; in the last two years, the following managerial changes have occurred at Premier League clubs:

- Tottenham sacked Conte and appointed Postecoglu.
- Leicester sacked Rodgers and appointed Smith.
- Leeds sacked Marsh and appointed Gracia.
- Chelsea sacked Tuchel and appointed Potter.
- Brighton lost Potter and appointed De Zerbi.
- Palace sacked Vieira and appointed Hodgson.
- Southampton sacked Hassenhuttl and appointed Jones.
- Everton sacked Lampard and appointed Dyche.
- Wolves sacked Lage and appointed Lopetegui.
- Villa sacked Gerrard and appointed Emery.
- Man Utd sacked Ragnick and appointed ten Hag.
- Leeds sacked Bielsa and appointed Marsh.
- Man Utd sacked Solskjaer and appointed Ragnick.
- Everton sacked Benitez and appointed Lampard (LOL!)
- Villa sacked Smith and appointed Gerrard.
- Newcastle sacked Bruce and appointed Howe.
- Tottenham sacked Nuno and appointed Conte.

And to the best of my knowledge / memory... At no point has Thomas Frank really been a serious contender for any of those jobs. Maybe it's just because I haven't paid any attention but it feels like to me not a single club has so much as fluttered their eyelashes Frank's way.

Admittedly there are a lot of jobs in that list that feel completely wrong for him... But why doesn't he get any attention from other clubs whatsoever, given what he's done since he arrived at Brentford?

Best for a Brentford fan to deal with that one, but, if I were to guess, I would say that it comes down to overall job satisfaction (money, relationship with board, success on the pitch), which means that he may have told his agent that he does not want to be on any short-list.
Brentford Types on 12:29 - Aug 23 with 2458 viewsHoopsie

Brentford Types on 12:15 - Aug 23 by kernowhoop

Best for a Brentford fan to deal with that one, but, if I were to guess, I would say that it comes down to overall job satisfaction (money, relationship with board, success on the pitch), which means that he may have told his agent that he does not want to be on any short-list.

That’s incredibly unambitious…..integrity and loyalty, anyone?

Poll: Who will follow Rotherham and Huddersfield to League One?

Brentford Types on 12:39 - Aug 23 with 2411 viewsHoopstar

The thing about integrity and loyalty is the ones that possess those qualities are very rarely the ones giving it the big 'un about how much of them they possess.
Brentford Types on 23:54 - Aug 23 with 2169 viewsNewBee

@Padulas_Shampoo:
"And to the best of my knowledge / memory... At no point has Thomas Frank really been a serious contender for any of those jobs. Maybe it's just because I haven't paid any attention but it feels like to me not a single club has so much as fluttered their eyelashes Frank's way.

Admittedly there are a lot of jobs in that list that feel completely wrong for him... But why doesn't he get any attention from other clubs whatsoever, given what he's done since he arrived at Brentford?"

Interesting question. I'd say there are a number of reasons (no particular order):
1. If you look at his CV, it probably doedsn't appeal to a lot of the "Big" clubs. That is, he never played the game, even semi-pro, and was a teacher who started out coaching kids. Fair dues, he got as far as Denmark's U-19's, but still. Then he managed Brondby but resigned after less than 3 years, having done ok, but how many Danish managers are there in top European jobs who weren't also top players previously? As for Brentford, in truth many really big clubs still don't rate us yet and/or reckon it's our system which makes him look good, but could he do it eg at Old Trafford or WHL?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Frank_(football_manager);

2. Brentford is the ideal fit for him, since he is being allowed time to develop his own career which he wouldn't get elsewhere eg in his first 10 league games, he won one, drew one and lost eight. Yet because Benham's data analysis told him that the performances were much better than the results, his position was never in doubt. He would never have got that at a bigger club;

3. He's loyal, and he values loyalty. See how he left Brondby:
"Frank resigned on 9 March 2016 after receiving criticism from chairman Jan Bech Andersen, under a pseudonym, on an online supporters' forum"
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/mar/09/brondby-thomas-frank-chairman-o

4. He's likely on a much better salary package than you might expect, since Benham rewards his staff generously on a performance basis - bonuses etc - and I'm sure TF has met all his KPI's - and then some!

5. He's basically a coach, and although he does have an important role in transfers etc, he knows he'll be left get on with his job and leave all the other crap which goes with PL football to other people who know what they're doing. Contrast that with all the politics (small "p") we saw eg with Conte at Spurs, Mourinho at ManU/Spurs, Tuchel at Chelsea;

6. He's a family man and I daresay he's comfortable in West London;

7. Finally, he's still only 49, so still has plenty of time left to take the job he wants. Which could, after all, be with a big European club, or even managing the Danish NT?
Brentford Types on 21:27 - Aug 24 with 1976 viewsHoopsie

Brentford Types on 23:54 - Aug 23 by NewBee

@Padulas_Shampoo:
"And to the best of my knowledge / memory... At no point has Thomas Frank really been a serious contender for any of those jobs. Maybe it's just because I haven't paid any attention but it feels like to me not a single club has so much as fluttered their eyelashes Frank's way.

Admittedly there are a lot of jobs in that list that feel completely wrong for him... But why doesn't he get any attention from other clubs whatsoever, given what he's done since he arrived at Brentford?"

Interesting question. I'd say there are a number of reasons (no particular order):
1. If you look at his CV, it probably doedsn't appeal to a lot of the "Big" clubs. That is, he never played the game, even semi-pro, and was a teacher who started out coaching kids. Fair dues, he got as far as Denmark's U-19's, but still. Then he managed Brondby but resigned after less than 3 years, having done ok, but how many Danish managers are there in top European jobs who weren't also top players previously? As for Brentford, in truth many really big clubs still don't rate us yet and/or reckon it's our system which makes him look good, but could he do it eg at Old Trafford or WHL?

2. Brentford is the ideal fit for him, since he is being allowed time to develop his own career which he wouldn't get elsewhere eg in his first 10 league games, he won one, drew one and lost eight. Yet because Benham's data analysis told him that the performances were much better than the results, his position was never in doubt. He would never have got that at a bigger club;

"Frank resigned on 9 March 2016 after receiving criticism from chairman Jan Bech Andersen, under a pseudonym, on an online supporters' forum"
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/mar/09/brondby-thomas-frank-chairman-o

4. He's likely on a much better salary package than you might expect, since Benham rewards his staff generously on a performance basis - bonuses etc - and I'm sure TF has met all his KPI's - and then some!

5. He's basically a coach, and although he does have an important role in transfers etc, he knows he'll be left get on with his job and leave all the other crap which goes with PL football to other people who know what they're doing. Contrast that with all the politics (small "p") we saw eg with Conte at Spurs, Mourinho at ManU/Spurs, Tuchel at Chelsea;

7. Finally, he's still only 49, so still has plenty of time left to take the job he wants. Which could, after all, be with a big European club, or even managing the Danish NT?

Contrast that to the name we shall not speak PBBC

Poll: Who will follow Rotherham and Huddersfield to League One?

Brentford Types on 00:49 - Aug 25 with 1863 viewsDejR_vu

Brentford Types on 23:54 - Aug 23 by NewBee

@Padulas_Shampoo:

So if he lost his best player for half a season and half a dozen goalkeepers, one of whom was integral to the way Brentford play, Benham wouldn’t threaten him with the sack if he dropped a few places in the league? Hmm, interesting. Perhaps that’s why you’re in the Premier League, progressing year on year, and we started the season as favourites to be relegated to League One.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024