Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gunter Netzer 13:00 - Feb 14 with 2359 viewsSonofNorfolt

Umlaut omitted.
Always rated him as a player ever since he destroyed England at Wembley in '72, he wore No.10 too, like Michael Schenker playing midfield.
However I got thinking about why he didn't play in the '74 WC, they simply didn't pick him in the starting eleven much. A crying shame that him and Cruyff weren't both on the pitch for the Final, when the Dutch bottled it.
Gunter Netzer on 13:29 - Feb 14 with 2063 viewsMrSheen

I've just been reading about him on Wiki. I remember that Wembley game too, it was the first live England game I remember seeing that wasn't against Scotland. Two games against Poland coming up the next year, lucky us. It never entered my seven-year-old head that we might lose, but he was brilliant.

It seems he only played in one game in 1974, for 20 minutes as a sub. Perhaps it didn't help that he hadn't been a Bayern Munich boy like so much of the squad, and that he was playing in Spain and so out of mind. Amazingly, he was the first ever member of a world-cup winning squad not to be playing in his home country!
Gunter Netzer on 14:37 - Feb 14 with 2007 viewsLeedsR

Although only just came to the world when the 1974 World Cup was on, so have no memories of Netzer at the time, I always had an appreciation of German football and in particular those midfield geniuses that somehow were never acknowledged by the German national team, Bernd Schuster being another notable player.

I remember a picture in the Standard’s FA Cup Final special prior to our appearance(s) in 82, where they had a picture of Netzer in full flow next to one of Tony Currie in a similar pose. The caption read something like “Netzer, or could it be Currie? Currie, or could it be Netzer?” Made me want to find out more about this Netzer fellow and was he really comparable to Tony Currie?!?!
Gunter Netzer on 14:42 - Feb 14 with 1991 viewsSonofNorfolt

Namedrop alert.
I asked TC whether he had played against Netzer and he said no, but he was pleased with the comparison.
Gunter Netzer on 14:42 - Feb 14 with 1991 viewsBillericayR

Fantastic player.
I was at the game in '72 - destroyed us.
Ended 3-1 to West Germany if I remember.
Probably did not help him in the second leg when Alf played Rodney up front on his own with Peter Storey and Norman Hunter in the middle of mid field.
Ended 0-0.
Hope my memory is correct.
Gunter Netzer on 14:49 - Feb 14 with 1958 viewsMrSheen

Gunter Netzer on 14:42 - Feb 14 by BillericayR

Fantastic player.
Probably did not help him in the second leg when Alf played Rodney up front on his own with Peter Storey and Norman Hunter in the middle of mid field.
Ended 0-0.

I don't remember much about the second leg, but the worst of the first game was that after being battered for 80 minutes, we actually equalised through Emlyn Hughes of all people before being cut apart again.

What a great format by the way, home and away quarter finals, much better than endless group games and a bloated final tournament.
Gunter Netzer on 14:54 - Feb 14 with 1941 viewsSonofNorfolt

There's a lot of You Tube footage of him.
Watch the German Cup Final in '73 between Cologne and Moechengladbach.
Netzer came on a sub and scored almost immediately with a beauty in his last game before going to Real Madrid, hence the reason he was sub.
How cool is BM's kit?
Gunter Netzer on 15:04 - Feb 14 with 1910 viewsMrSheen

Gunter Netzer on 14:54 - Feb 14 by SonofNorfolt

There's a lot of You Tube footage of him.
Watch the German Cup Final in '73 between Cologne and Moechengladbach.
Netzer came on a sub and scored almost immediately with a beauty in his last game before going to Real Madrid, hence the reason he was sub.
How cool is BM's kit?

Saturday "On the Ball" used to show German goals of the month. They were like something from another planet, banana free kicks, overheads, ridiculous dribbles.
Gunter Netzer on 15:12 - Feb 14 with 1883 viewsMick_S

Gunter Netzer on 14:42 - Feb 14 by SonofNorfolt

Namedrop alert.
I asked TC whether he had played against Netzer and he said no, but he was pleased with the comparison.

Just watched a couple of YT videos and the TC comparison is bang on.

You could have told me they were in German though.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Login to get fewer ads

Gunter Netzer on 15:32 - Feb 14 with 1843 viewsDannyPaddox

One of my favourite football images. Borussia Mönchengladbach off to the Napoleonic wars. That has to be Netzer (note: no gloves) third in.
Gunter Netzer on 15:33 - Feb 14 with 1837 viewsCamberleyR

Fantastic player.
Ended 0-0.

Yes, you're correct. Ramsey pointlessly set us up not to lose rather than to win in a tie we were already 3-1 down in.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Gunter Netzer on 16:07 - Feb 14 with 1786 viewsSonofNorfolt

Gunter Netzer on 15:32 - Feb 14 by DannyPaddox

One of my favourite football images. Borussia Mönchengladbach off to the Napoleonic wars. That has to be Netzer (note: no gloves) third in.

Good isn't it?
Not sure it is him.
Berti Vogts is the back and that might be Rainer Bonhof at the front.
Gunter Netzer on 17:15 - Feb 14 with 1722 viewsCamberleyR

Gunter Netzer on 14:49 - Feb 14 by MrSheen

I don't remember much about the second leg, but the worst of the first game was that after being battered for 80 minutes, we actually equalised through Emlyn Hughes of all people before being cut apart again.

What a great format by the way, home and away quarter finals, much better than endless group games and a bloated final tournament.

Agree about the format for the finals tournament; two semis, a third place and the final all done and dusted in four days. Similar to the Nation's League tournament last summer. Franny Lee got the equaliser by the way.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2020 17:20]

Gunter Netzer on 18:22 - Feb 14 with 1664 viewsDannyPaddox

Netzer came on as a sub in the ‘74 World Cup in the Deutsche-Derby against East Germany. The Osties got the winner shortly after.

There are two theories why he never appeared again in the tournament. One is for some reason he failed to hit it off on the field with the main-man Wolfgang Overath. The other is Netzer was selected for the following game against Yugoslavia but when manager Helmut Schön said in the pre-match team-talk: “Gunter, wenn du nicht hart arbeitest, werde ich dich zur Halbzeit abziehen.”

Netzer replied: “Gott, in Mönchengladbach bekommen wir nur eine Tasse Tee und eine Orange!” And he was dropped.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2020 18:25]
Gunter Netzer on 18:31 - Feb 14 with 1649 viewsenfieldargh

Fantastic player.
Ended 0-0.

went to the game with my dad.

Germany wore Green Shirts if the cobwebs in my memory bank serve me well.

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Gunter Netzer on 18:50 - Feb 14 with 1615 viewssmegma

Gunter Netzer on 14:42 - Feb 14 by SonofNorfolt

Namedrop alert.

What did Officer Dibble think of him??
Gunter Netzer on 19:05 - Feb 14 with 1601 viewsBoston

Ten not nein.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=england+v+germany+1972&view=detail&mid=3898

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Gunter Netzer on 19:24 - Feb 14 with 1576 viewsBoston

Gunter Netzer on 18:50 - Feb 14 by smegma

What did Officer Dibble think of him??

Dunno, but as luck would have it Benny the Ball posts on here...

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Gunter Netzer on 21:31 - Feb 14 with 1507 viewsLeedsR

Gunter Netzer on 18:22 - Feb 14 by DannyPaddox

Netzer came on as a sub in the ‘74 World Cup in the Deutsche-Derby against East Germany. The Osties got the winner shortly after.

There are two theories why he never appeared again in the tournament. One is for some reason he failed to hit it off on the field with the main-man Wolfgang Overath. The other is Netzer was selected for the following game against Yugoslavia but when manager Helmut Schön said in the pre-match team-talk: “Gunter, wenn du nicht hart arbeitest, werde ich dich zur Halbzeit abziehen.”

Netzer replied: “Gott, in Mönchengladbach bekommen wir nur eine Tasse Tee und eine Orange!” And he was dropped.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2020 18:25]

Lol! Didn’t Harry (journo’s friend) Red***pp also plagiarise that story?!?
Gunter Netzer on 21:38 - Feb 14 with 1494 viewsMrSheen

Gunter Netzer on 17:15 - Feb 14 by CamberleyR

Agree about the format for the finals tournament; two semis, a third place and the final all done and dusted in four days. Similar to the Nation's League tournament last summer. Franny Lee got the equaliser by the way.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2020 17:20]

Is that right about Franny Lee? I’ve carried a false memory of Emlyn scoring all these years. It was Germany in green, as someone pointed out.
Gunter Netzer on 22:19 - Feb 14 with 1441 viewsCamberleyR

Gunter Netzer on 21:38 - Feb 14 by MrSheen

Is that right about Franny Lee? I’ve carried a false memory of Emlyn scoring all these years. It was Germany in green, as someone pointed out.

Yes, a tap in after Maier failed to hold a cross cum shot, about 1 hour 12 minutes in. It's the German commentary showing the BBC pictures. One strange thing about the match is that for a fairly important and well remembered game, there seems to be hardly any footage online and certainly none with David Coleman's commentary (you can just hear him now, "Müller...3-1! ").
[Post edited 14 Feb 2020 22:24]

Gunter Netzer on 23:09 - Feb 14 with 1386 viewsBrianMcCarthy

The names of the German players are incredibly evocative!

I left England aged five in 1975 for Ireland so I saw very little of any of these players on the box in either Country. But their names were nearly as romantic as the Dutch or Brazilian ones. Bonhof was a God, right? Overath the subject of sonnets? Sepp Maier drop one? Not possible. He was my man, by the way. Saw him on the box as often as I saw a unicorn having a pint with a mermaid. But he was my man.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Gunter Netzer on 23:32 - Feb 14 with 1372 viewsMrSheen

Gunter Netzer on 23:09 - Feb 14 by BrianMcCarthy

The names of the German players are incredibly evocative!

I left England aged five in 1975 for Ireland so I saw very little of any of these players on the box in either Country. But their names were nearly as romantic as the Dutch or Brazilian ones. Bonhof was a God, right? Overath the subject of sonnets? Sepp Maier drop one? Not possible. He was my man, by the way. Saw him on the box as often as I saw a unicorn having a pint with a mermaid. But he was my man.

The only live games always on outside of the World Cup and Euro Champs were the FA cup final, England v Scotland and the European Cup Final. Wouldn’t miss a minute. Sepp Maier, Euro 72, World Cup 74, European Cup with Bayern 74-75-76...that bloke was never off the box.
Gunter Netzer on 23:33 - Feb 14 with 1371 viewsDannyPaddox

Leaving aside that Bernd Hölzenbein’s name translates into English as Peg-Leg Bernie check the cut of the 1974 German tracksuit. A sober sky-blue. Tidy winged lapels. A single breast-pocket. Buttons! They were dressed like a squad of Hannibal Lecters.
[Post edited 15 Feb 2020 0:26]
Gunter Netzer on 00:00 - Feb 15 with 1347 viewsLythamR

My School kit in 1972 at Selborne in Perivale was green socks white shorts green shirt with white collar trim. I was 10 and I was Gunter Netzer although by 1973 i had morphed into Johnny Rep
Gunter Netzer on 08:42 - Feb 15 with 1197 viewsflynnbo

Was he in the team we demolished in the 1975/76 pre season tour when we beat about 3 different league winners?
Just found an article from the Indy R’s site about the game and he wasn’t playing but they had one hell of a side.
[Post edited 15 Feb 2020 8:46]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024