Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This week's podcast 13:41 - Oct 23 with 782 viewsNorthernr

Jamie Mackie the guest

Six guys, four kitchens, three Jamies - Podcast 23rd Oct 2020 13:41
The Bournemouth draw and Preston defeat are high on the agenda for this week's heavily populated Open All R's Podcast, which features Jamie Mackie as its special guest. 0

This week's podcast on 14:48 - Oct 23 with 736 viewsBrianMcCarthy

First one in ages that I didn't enjoy.
Too many people, too much rambling and some stuff I just plain couldn't agree with.

They've been brilliant all year, though, so no complaints.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

This week's podcast on 18:31 - Oct 23 with 627 viewstoboboly

This week's podcast on 14:48 - Oct 23 by BrianMcCarthy

First one in ages that I didn't enjoy.
Too many people, too much rambling and some stuff I just plain couldn't agree with.

They've been brilliant all year, though, so no complaints.

Agree Brian. Far too much rambling, should just have let Mackie get on with it.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

This week's podcast on 19:40 - Oct 23 with 581 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I understand that people can have different views on Ferdinand and Ramsey, but I thought the speech condemning their work should not have been allowed to go unchecked without at least offering the following points for discussion:-

1) Are we really sure that blowing off FFP is advisable or an acceptable risk?

2) Eze may or may not have just showed up at the door, as was implied (questionable in itself as I'm fairly sure every underage coach in London would have seen him play for Millwall) but we didn't just "get lucky" with him. We spotted something that no-one else fancied, coached him, developed him, loaned him, built up his confidence and sold him successfully, providing our club with £20m at a time of dire need as a result of all this hard work. Eze himself has many times thanked Ferdinand, Ramsey and Hall for all of the above. To write it off as getting lucky does them a grave disservice, and it should have been challenged or at least debated.

3) We are already seeing the fruits of their labours. Last year we had either the highest or the second-highest amount of Academy-produced minutes in our first team in our Division. Minutes cost money, and the Academy have saved us a fortune here by providing minutes at low cost saving us the need to build a bigger squad at higher wages which FFP will not allow us to do, and these are players who are accumulating in worth, talent and/or value, who will play for us or another team, either of whiuch will help us build our club back up. Before Ferdinand and Ramsey arrived we were producing nothing.

4) BOS may or may not have been recommended by Penrice, but Ferdinand signed off on signing Penrice and on signing BOS. To cut Ferdinand out of the credit for those wise signings and then blame him personally for Washington is completely disingenuous.

There's a broader discussion to be had about all of the above, naturally, and it deserves a proper debate. But I thought it was a slip-up by the podcast to let the above points go unchallenged.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2020 19:47]

This week's podcast on 19:46 - Oct 23 with 572 viewsOldPedro

Found some of the points made by Jamie M about playing in games without fans very interesting. Totally agree with Brian's points above about Chris R and Les F.

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

This week's podcast on 19:46 - Oct 23 with 569 viewsjoe90

I actually think it was a fair point about Les and Ramsay in terms of what we've actually produced in relation to our post FFP plan. We've got lucky with Eze, but that doesn't meant he clubs aims & objectives haven't been achieved. This is a long term strategy so still some way to go. No point comparing us to other clubs either as we need to look our unique situation.
This week's podcast on 19:51 - Oct 23 with 559 viewsdanehoop

This week's podcast on 19:46 - Oct 23 by joe90

I actually think it was a fair point about Les and Ramsay in terms of what we've actually produced in relation to our post FFP plan. We've got lucky with Eze, but that doesn't meant he clubs aims & objectives haven't been achieved. This is a long term strategy so still some way to go. No point comparing us to other clubs either as we need to look our unique situation.

As Brian said, I don't agree that we got lucky with Eze. We made a calculated investment on a player we thought had real potential. They don't always work out, but its interesting how the more we have invested in our, scouting network, coaching and development of young players the luckier we seem to be in producing good young players for the first team who we sell on at a profit.

Never knowingly understood

This week's podcast on 19:51 - Oct 23 with 559 viewsBrianMcCarthy

This week's podcast on 19:46 - Oct 23 by OldPedro

Found some of the points made by Jamie M about playing in games without fans very interesting. Totally agree with Brian's points above about Chris R and Les F.

Yes, I thought that was interesting and a very good point.

This week's podcast on 20:15 - Oct 23 with 527 viewsjoe90

This week's podcast on 19:51 - Oct 23 by danehoop

As Brian said, I don't agree that we got lucky with Eze. We made a calculated investment on a player we thought had real potential. They don't always work out, but its interesting how the more we have invested in our, scouting network, coaching and development of young players the luckier we seem to be in producing good young players for the first team who we sell on at a profit.

I think there's always an element of luck and in terms of a long term strategy Eze isn't a sign of success. That doesn't discredit the work done by Les, Ramsay and co have done with Eze, we must remember that the work is on going. If our system brings through a few more players we sell on for a good profit then we can say it's not luck.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2020 20:19]
Login to get fewer ads

This week's podcast on 21:30 - Oct 23 with 474 viewsqprd

This week's podcast on 19:40 - Oct 23 by BrianMcCarthy

I understand that people can have different views on Ferdinand and Ramsey, but I thought the speech condemning their work should not have been allowed to go unchecked without at least offering the following points for discussion:-

1) Are we really sure that blowing off FFP is advisable or an acceptable risk?

2) Eze may or may not have just showed up at the door, as was implied (questionable in itself as I'm fairly sure every underage coach in London would have seen him play for Millwall) but we didn't just "get lucky" with him. We spotted something that no-one else fancied, coached him, developed him, loaned him, built up his confidence and sold him successfully, providing our club with £20m at a time of dire need as a result of all this hard work. Eze himself has many times thanked Ferdinand, Ramsey and Hall for all of the above. To write it off as getting lucky does them a grave disservice, and it should have been challenged or at least debated.

3) We are already seeing the fruits of their labours. Last year we had either the highest or the second-highest amount of Academy-produced minutes in our first team in our Division. Minutes cost money, and the Academy have saved us a fortune here by providing minutes at low cost saving us the need to build a bigger squad at higher wages which FFP will not allow us to do, and these are players who are accumulating in worth, talent and/or value, who will play for us or another team, either of whiuch will help us build our club back up. Before Ferdinand and Ramsey arrived we were producing nothing.

4) BOS may or may not have been recommended by Penrice, but Ferdinand signed off on signing Penrice and on signing BOS. To cut Ferdinand out of the credit for those wise signings and then blame him personally for Washington is completely disingenuous.

There's a broader discussion to be had about all of the above, naturally, and it deserves a proper debate. But I thought it was a slip-up by the podcast to let the above points go unchallenged.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2020 19:47]

There’s an argument to be bad abt les and Ramsey but the guest on the pod made some absolutely brain dead comments... the dumbest point was when he said the good signings were bc of Warburton .... so how does that work, the good signings are by Warburton and the bad ones are by Ramsey and Ferdinand (who apparently are some monolithic entity btw, I wonder what he’s getting at....)

The point abt getting luck w Eze is also comically stupid.... yep, he was cut by a load of teams and had been given up one... we were lucky to scout a player who everyone quit on, and then nurture him into a 20m player... Eze has literally done national interviews where he’s said Impey and Ramsey are responsible for his success, but I guess that must’ve just been luck too

Also, the notion that our season tickets are dwindling bc of the two of them (which was the original basis of the comment) was disingenuous at best but more likely pretextual
This week's podcast on 22:41 - Oct 23 with 436 viewsWokingham_r

Agree with point about too much rambling

Interesting observation from Jamie M that Shaun Wright-Phillips was the sort who always gave his best efforts - don't think this was a view shared by many Rs fans

In reply to a Paul Finney comment, Jamie M said that a particular player didn't try hard enough and relied on his previous record, but i couldn't catch the name?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024