Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone watching events in Croker? 19:01 - Nov 21 with 2133 viewsWatfordR

Either you’ll know what I mean or you won’t.

On the football front, Meath have about one chance in a hundred. Which is one chance more than they’ve had in a decade or more!
Anyone watching events in Croker? on 22:47 - Nov 21 with 1954 viewsMyke

It seemed to be very tastefully done Watford. Tipperary footballers wearing retro jerseys tomorrow, which is a nice tribute
Anyone watching events in Croker? on 23:32 - Nov 21 with 1877 viewsBrianMcCarthy

It was 100 years ago.

Ireland has spent most of those 100 years, not all but most, trying to put the past behind us and successfully forging a peace on our Island that has lasted for two decades.

I applaud BLM as it is a present and ongoing issue but I deplore this commemoration of Bloody Sunday 1920 as a GAA member. That war is over, and our young members shouldn't be lighting candles for it. They should be playing sports.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Anyone watching events in Croker? on 01:06 - Nov 22 with 1813 viewsCiderwithRsie

Anyone watching events in Croker? on 23:32 - Nov 21 by BrianMcCarthy

It was 100 years ago.

Ireland has spent most of those 100 years, not all but most, trying to put the past behind us and successfully forging a peace on our Island that has lasted for two decades.

I applaud BLM as it is a present and ongoing issue but I deplore this commemoration of Bloody Sunday 1920 as a GAA member. That war is over, and our young members shouldn't be lighting candles for it. They should be playing sports.

Top post, Brian, which goes beyond the specifics of this anniversary and one nation. In these crappy Covid times everyone (but young people especially) should be looking forward to living life to the full, not just remembering the past (though that matters too).

Did you ever meet a person who know they were dying who wanted sorrowing when they were gone? It's natural for the bereaved to be bereft but surely all of us want those who survive us to be positive - it's the hope that they will that makers the prospect of death bearable. I don't believe the dead of any war would want their legacy to be bitterness or even solemnity.
Anyone watching events in Croker? on 01:07 - Nov 22 with 1812 viewsMyke

It was 100 years ago.

Don't disagree with you on most topics, Brian, but I have to 100% on this. Maybe as a History teacher I am more cognisant of the past (not than you, but generally I mean), but to me we should NEVER forget what we have been through to get to where we are. This is not an 'anti-Brit' thing - far from it, my mother was English and moreover I would like to think I am a little more enlightened than that. This is about remembering the sacrifices of real people - not just stats - their struggles and the determination to overcome the barriers to self- autonomy.
Any more than we should forget all the people who lost their lives in the First or Second World War, we need to educate our young people about the people who shaped their lives today. They have so many modern day distractions and often find even recent events insignificant. Lighting candles is a powerful symbolic way of reminding them. Showing we have moved from the darkness of these struggles, to the light of an optimistic future.
I agree that acrimonious accusations are out-dated and counter-productive. But forget the past - never.
Anyone watching events in Croker? on 01:36 - Nov 22 with 1789 viewsBoston

Anyone watching events in Croker? on 01:07 - Nov 22 by Myke

Don't disagree with you on most topics, Brian, but I have to 100% on this. Maybe as a History teacher I am more cognisant of the past (not than you, but generally I mean), but to me we should NEVER forget what we have been through to get to where we are. This is not an 'anti-Brit' thing - far from it, my mother was English and moreover I would like to think I am a little more enlightened than that. This is about remembering the sacrifices of real people - not just stats - their struggles and the determination to overcome the barriers to self- autonomy.
Any more than we should forget all the people who lost their lives in the First or Second World War, we need to educate our young people about the people who shaped their lives today. They have so many modern day distractions and often find even recent events insignificant. Lighting candles is a powerful symbolic way of reminding them. Showing we have moved from the darkness of these struggles, to the light of an optimistic future.
I agree that acrimonious accusations are out-dated and counter-productive. But forget the past - never.

I can’t remember what I was up to yesterday.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Anyone watching events in Croker? on 10:55 - Nov 22 with 1600 viewsWatfordR

I'm broadly with you Myke.

Those requests for remembrance of the event by the GAA and their clubs that I have seen have been along the lines of remembering those who went to a game of football and never came home, which I don't see as being overly provocative, and I also thought the commemoration at Croker last night was tastefully done.

I suppose what I'd like to see from such commemorative occasions as these is that the cause of conflict has been resolved to the extent that all those who were party to the original event can and want to attend. Similar perhaps to Somme remembrance events. To me that's a sign that everyone is prepared and able to move forward.
Anyone watching events in Croker? on 11:15 - Nov 22 with 1576 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Fair enough. I understand that. I don't personally agree but I can see your articulate points.

I'm English too and so are my nephews who now live in West Cork and this week they've been asking their parents why the GAA hates English people and their friends have been (jokingly) calling them 'Tans'. They play hurling and football for a team in green and white hoops and play against teams named after Pádraig Pearse and Robert Emmet. There's a not a chance in hell that the past is ever going to be forgotten in the GAA.

I read Michael Foley's excellent book on Bloody Sunday and many, many more on the War. I value history, I studied history , I love history. But it's time to take it the hell off the pitches of West Cork and let the kids play sports.

Anyone watching events in Croker? on 12:57 - Nov 22 with 1507 viewsMyke

Anyone watching events in Croker? on 11:15 - Nov 22 by BrianMcCarthy

Fair enough. I understand that. I don't personally agree but I can see your articulate points.

I'm English too and so are my nephews who now live in West Cork and this week they've been asking their parents why the GAA hates English people and their friends have been (jokingly) calling them 'Tans'. They play hurling and football for a team in green and white hoops and play against teams named after Pádraig Pearse and Robert Emmet. There's a not a chance in hell that the past is ever going to be forgotten in the GAA.

I read Michael Foley's excellent book on Bloody Sunday and many, many more on the War. I value history, I studied history , I love history. But it's time to take it the hell off the pitches of West Cork and let the kids play sports.

Good response Brian and I get you. Just to be clear, I wasn't implying I 'know more' about History than you. I meant that generally, because I teach the subject every day, I may have a more heightened awareness of the topics discussed, than people who don't encounter it on a daily basis.
I am also conscious that I don't want to make this overly political, as Clive has enough on his plate. I suppose the point I am making is you cannot erase what has happened in the past. You cannot pretend that ireland wasn't controlled by Britain for 800 years any more than you can pretend the Roman Empire never existed, for example. Of course there were atrocities committed on both sides and dragging them up is both pointless and potentially inflammatory. Far better ,as Watford pointed out, if we can use these events as an indication that we have jointly moved on from the past to a better future.
With regard to your specific point of sport and politics mixing, I agree in principal that they should be kept separate. I suppose the Bloody Sunday event was unique in that the GAA were directly affected and therefore involved. But yes,let young people get on with playing sports of all kinds -especially this year when opportunities are so limited.
Login to get fewer ads

Anyone watching events in Croker? on 13:22 - Nov 22 with 1479 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Anyone watching events in Croker? on 12:57 - Nov 22 by Myke

Good response Brian and I get you. Just to be clear, I wasn't implying I 'know more' about History than you. I meant that generally, because I teach the subject every day, I may have a more heightened awareness of the topics discussed, than people who don't encounter it on a daily basis.
I am also conscious that I don't want to make this overly political, as Clive has enough on his plate. I suppose the point I am making is you cannot erase what has happened in the past. You cannot pretend that ireland wasn't controlled by Britain for 800 years any more than you can pretend the Roman Empire never existed, for example. Of course there were atrocities committed on both sides and dragging them up is both pointless and potentially inflammatory. Far better ,as Watford pointed out, if we can use these events as an indication that we have jointly moved on from the past to a better future.
With regard to your specific point of sport and politics mixing, I agree in principal that they should be kept separate. I suppose the Bloody Sunday event was unique in that the GAA were directly affected and therefore involved. But yes,let young people get on with playing sports of all kinds -especially this year when opportunities are so limited.

Good reply, and a conversation that has helped me think this through.

Right now with ten minutes to the game I just hope that Tipperary wearing the commemorative shirt has distracted them and might be worth a score or two to us!!!

Anyone watching events in Croker? on 13:44 - Nov 22 with 1461 viewsPaddyhoops

It was 100 years ago.

Two different wars Brian. Ireland rightly got its independence as result.
The deaths that occurred on innocent people was brutal that day in Croke Park was rightly remembered.
My family were pitted against each other in the civil war that followed. It wasn't pretty.
I have no time for violence of any sort, I consider myself a pacifist and have had many strong debates with people who I consider friends on the hellish war in Northern Ireland over the decades.
At the same time I can't put myself in the shoes of a family in Derry back in the seventies and eighties who had thier homes ransacked and destroyed and sons and fathers taken by the notorious internship policy.
What a roaring success that turned out to be!!!!
For balance the loyalist population suffered just as badly!!
This country rightly remembers the fallen.
Ireland remembered the innocent yesterday. No more no less.
Anyone watching events in Croker? on 14:06 - Nov 22 with 1436 viewsMyke

Anyone watching events in Croker? on 13:22 - Nov 22 by BrianMcCarthy

Right now with ten minutes to the game I just hope that Tipperary wearing the commemorative shirt has distracted them and might be worth a score or two to us!!!

You need to shape up! No point in beating Kerry if you can't beat this lot! At least the biblical conditions of the last couple of week-ends seemed to have disappeared
Anyone watching events in Croker? on 14:18 - Nov 22 with 1420 viewsMrSheen

Anyone watching events in Croker? on 13:22 - Nov 22 by BrianMcCarthy

Cork nervous about playing Tipperary at football? Well I never!

Myke, have you had any guidance on how the Civil War will be explained in schools? In the nearest town to my place in Kerry there’s a war memorial to two men killed by the British, and about 25 from the Civil War - an IRA ambush on a police convoy led to prisoners being shot in reprisal. It’s never come up in any conversations we’ve had, but I’m sure all the locals could say who did what to whom.
Anyone watching events in Croker? on 16:02 - Nov 22 with 1358 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Anyone watching events in Croker? on 14:06 - Nov 22 by Myke

You need to shape up! No point in beating Kerry if you can't beat this lot! At least the biblical conditions of the last couple of week-ends seemed to have disappeared

Well, we were rightly concerned it seems. This is a Tipp team that is now in its second All-Ireland Semi-Final. Cork are a young team and will come in time but didn't play well today and the better team won.

Anyone watching events in Croker? on 16:03 - Nov 22 with 1355 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Anyone watching events in Croker? on 14:18 - Nov 22 by MrSheen

Myke, have you had any guidance on how the Civil War will be explained in schools? In the nearest town to my place in Kerry there’s a war memorial to two men killed by the British, and about 25 from the Civil War - an IRA ambush on a police convoy led to prisoners being shot in reprisal. It’s never come up in any conversations we’ve had, but I’m sure all the locals could say who did what to whom.

Ballyseedy?

Anyone watching events in Croker? on 17:32 - Nov 22 with 1288 viewsMrSheen

Anyone watching events in Croker? on 16:03 - Nov 22 by BrianMcCarthy

Ballyseedy?

Cahersiveen, I don’t know if the Ballyseedy men were included, it must be 50 miles away. The prisoners were taken out of the barracks in Cahersiveen.

Conor Sweeney, Ballyporeen hero!
Anyone watching events in Croker? on 17:42 - Nov 22 with 1270 viewsPaddyhoops

Tipp and Cavan win titles. Huge shock in both.
Mayo will be the only team who can touch Dublin.
Anyone watching events in Croker? on 17:56 - Nov 22 with 1239 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Anyone watching events in Croker? on 17:32 - Nov 22 by MrSheen

Cahersiveen, I don’t know if the Ballyseedy men were included, it must be 50 miles away. The prisoners were taken out of the barracks in Cahersiveen.

Conor Sweeney, Ballyporeen hero!

He's some player.

Anyone watching events in Croker? on 19:09 - Nov 22 with 1183 viewsMyke

Anyone watching events in Croker? on 14:18 - Nov 22 by MrSheen

I think that can be replicated all over the country Mr Sheen. Certainly there was a major Black and Tan reprisal killing in Tubbercurry, which is my nearest town of any size, after several of their members were ambushed and killed by the IRA a few miles away in a townland called Moylough.
With regard to 'guidance', there wouldn't be external interference in the school from the Principal, but there would be 'standardisation' within the History Department. Without question there is a Nationalist bias in the text books, although this is certainly been diluted since I went to school myself in the 60s/70'.
That said, I try to give the young people of the 21st C, a balanced perspective on all events. It can be a little scary how little they know (or care) on one hand, and on the other it is a positive thing that events like 'The Troubles' don't impact on their lives at all.
Not sure if this is proof positive that we have indeed 'moved on' or simply that 'Fortnite' or 'I'm a celebrity' are just more important!
Anyone watching events in Croker? on 19:48 - Nov 22 with 1147 viewsMrSheen

Anyone watching events in Croker? on 17:42 - Nov 22 by Paddyhoops

Tipp and Cavan win titles. Huge shock in both.
Mayo will be the only team who can touch Dublin.

What’s the pub in the Uxbridge Road in West Ealing that has a shrine to Cavan football? After 60 years, they need to get the framers in again.

Just looked it up - O’Briens. Properly dingy old boys pub, nothing gets in the way of the racing. Cracking pint.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2020 21:20]
Anyone watching events in Croker? on 20:14 - Nov 22 with 1136 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Anyone watching events in Croker? on 19:09 - Nov 22 by Myke

I think that can be replicated all over the country Mr Sheen. Certainly there was a major Black and Tan reprisal killing in Tubbercurry, which is my nearest town of any size, after several of their members were ambushed and killed by the IRA a few miles away in a townland called Moylough.
With regard to 'guidance', there wouldn't be external interference in the school from the Principal, but there would be 'standardisation' within the History Department. Without question there is a Nationalist bias in the text books, although this is certainly been diluted since I went to school myself in the 60s/70'.
That said, I try to give the young people of the 21st C, a balanced perspective on all events. It can be a little scary how little they know (or care) on one hand, and on the other it is a positive thing that events like 'The Troubles' don't impact on their lives at all.
Not sure if this is proof positive that we have indeed 'moved on' or simply that 'Fortnite' or 'I'm a celebrity' are just more important!

The textbooks used in the 70's were written by my GrandUncle, Myke.
I studied in England and in Ireland the books in England were propaganda but the books in Ireland were even more laughable!

Glad they've been diluted!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024