Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Improving the atmosphere at Spotland 17:58 - Mar 10 with 21858 viewsRAFC1907

As Hilly says its something that needs to happen, the amount of times at home games when its 0-0 or even when we go 1-0 up our players must be thinking we have the worst support ever.

Away following nobody can complain, great support in numbers and very vocal.

The football club is the only thing in this town that gives Rochdale any positive headlines, so surely we must do all we can to ensure the good times around Spotland remain, its as though its 1995 and were sitting 5th from bottom.

With the results the management and players deliver our support should be constantly heard over the course of 90+ minutes.

Are we still the only club in the football pyramid to stop fans bringing in flags/large banners etc? Creating a positive atmosphere around the place can only be beneficial to everyone who enters the ground on a Saturday and a much more enjoyable experience.

I have mates who would rather watch the likes of City/United on TV as they reckon the atmosphere sounds better than being at a live game at Rochdale.

Bastien Hery hit the nail on the head also.

Poll: Bottomley...

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 19:05 - Mar 10 with 8491 viewsdingdangblue

Hery was mis quoted - that's been cleared up?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 19:19 - Mar 10 with 8461 viewsDomDale

Rebuild the sandy lane to make the stand steeper and improve the view but most importantly incorporate a roof that won't allow any noise to be lost 10 yards up the pitch as it is now. IMO there are more regularly attending singers in the SL than the Pearl St but their is such that noise carries well.

Allow drums. We like to take the piss out of fans of other clubs with drums but they do improve atmosphere don't they?

Make the alcohol cheaper and better quality at the ground. Drunk folk like singing.

Start an ultras group like Accy or Oldham and start chanting simple euro inspired stuff like Dale Cavese because it has the word 'Dale' in it

KHBA
Poll: Preferred next Tory Leader / PM

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 19:30 - Mar 10 with 8423 viewsdale_spotland

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 19:19 - Mar 10 by DomDale

Rebuild the sandy lane to make the stand steeper and improve the view but most importantly incorporate a roof that won't allow any noise to be lost 10 yards up the pitch as it is now. IMO there are more regularly attending singers in the SL than the Pearl St but their is such that noise carries well.

Allow drums. We like to take the piss out of fans of other clubs with drums but they do improve atmosphere don't they?

Make the alcohol cheaper and better quality at the ground. Drunk folk like singing.

Start an ultras group like Accy or Oldham and start chanting simple euro inspired stuff like Dale Cavese because it has the word 'Dale' in it

Oh god no!

I am one that likes a good atmosphere but really don't see why it's so important to some.

Days like this one weren't supposed to happen to Rochdale.

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 19:37 - Mar 10 with 8395 viewsTTNYear

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 19:19 - Mar 10 by DomDale

Allow drums?.......Allow drums?

I stopped reading after that.

Anti-cliquism is the last refuge of the messageboard scoundrel - Copyright Dorset Dale productions

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 19:42 - Mar 10 with 8380 viewsDomDale

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 19:37 - Mar 10 by TTNYear

Allow drums?.......Allow drums?

I stopped reading after that.

Hahaha. I'll be honest I said most of that tongue in cheek as it's what local teams have done as part of their "ultras" groups.
I don't see the problem with drums tbh though. Each to their own and all that.

KHBA
Poll: Preferred next Tory Leader / PM

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 19:51 - Mar 10 with 8345 viewsbatfink

I think part of the blame for lack of atmosphere can be put on the fact we have Sandy and Pearl St for home fans, its diluted the fans that chant into two small groups
Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 20:03 - Mar 10 with 8301 viewsdale18

Maybe one game open a couple of blocks of the Wilbutts to home fans and get people from both Sandy and Pearl St to go in their to make an atmosphere
Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 20:06 - Mar 10 with 8282 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 19:51 - Mar 10 by batfink

I think part of the blame for lack of atmosphere can be put on the fact we have Sandy and Pearl St for home fans, its diluted the fans that chant into two small groups

Surely you mean deluded Batfink :)

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Login to get fewer ads

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 20:21 - Mar 10 with 8223 viewsStudiousDale

I think general lack of home atmosphere is a problem at most of the clubs in the football league now.
Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 20:24 - Mar 10 with 8210 viewsrochdale1987

I'd definately look at modernising the terracing in the sandy lane to make it steeper, there is enough height in there to do it and the view is awful from the sandy in most parts. Obviously this probably wouldn't be looked into unless we owned the stadium.
Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 21:00 - Mar 10 with 8129 viewsmikehunt

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 20:21 - Mar 10 by StudiousDale

I think general lack of home atmosphere is a problem at most of the clubs in the football league now.

Yes. Did you hear the Arsenal fans singing Your Support is Effing Sh ite at the Utd fans last night.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 21:13 - Mar 10 with 8099 viewstazzydjr

Apparently H&S Reasons you cant have flags in our ground away fans use to bring them all the time i dunno whats changed but I'm gonna be taking a dale flag to EURO 2015 this summer I'm sure Uherske Hradiste and Olomouc even Letna (If Finish Group Runners Up) & Eden (If reach the Final) i wont have any problems at all

Real Views From A Real Football Fan...http://rochdaleawaydayreview.wordpress.com
Poll: Who's Rochdale's Best Centre Midfielder?

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 21:19 - Mar 10 with 8079 viewsTVOS1907

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 21:13 - Mar 10 by tazzydjr

Apparently H&S Reasons you cant have flags in our ground away fans use to bring them all the time i dunno whats changed but I'm gonna be taking a dale flag to EURO 2015 this summer I'm sure Uherske Hradiste and Olomouc even Letna (If Finish Group Runners Up) & Eden (If reach the Final) i wont have any problems at all

Are those anagrams, Taz?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 21:22 - Mar 10 with 8072 viewsdalenumber2

Always impressed with the Accrington fans at home. There aren't many of them but they sing non-stop throughout the match.
Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 23:16 - Mar 10 with 7920 viewsBigDaveMyCock

I agree. It should be like a party atmosphere.

I love a party with a happy atmosphere. Let me take you there and you and I'll be dancin in the cool night air.

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 23:47 - Mar 10 with 7889 viewsShun

I don't think it's such an issue. I've been going regularly to away matches for about a decade or so and in that time I've seen a good home atmosphere probably less than a dozen times. Nobody outside the Premier League/top Championship clubs have an atmosphere at home unless it's a big match.

As you said, we're great away, rubbish at home. I don't think that'll ever change.
Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 23:53 - Mar 10 with 7876 viewsYorkshire_Dale

What ever happened to that huge flag from the Wembley Play Off game against Stockport?

It appeared at San Spotty for a few weeks and then went AWOL?
Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 09:23 - Mar 11 with 7665 viewsNafelad

Someone on another thread got it right, when they said the noisy, chanting crowd of home fans are behind the goals at both ends. The Main stand will always be quieter due to the majority being older-aged fans. Crowds of away fans of a few hundred or more will generally generate more noise than the home fans who are split into two sections at opposite ends of the ground. Not only can the away following make a lot of noise but they get the best view of the match (and it's the away fans that are heard in a televised match because the cameras/microphones are in their stand, as well!!)
[Post edited 11 Mar 2015 13:42]

Topcat

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 09:30 - Mar 11 with 7654 viewsscooby

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 09:23 - Mar 11 by Nafelad

Someone on another thread got it right, when they said the noisy, chanting crowd of home fans are behind the goals at both ends. The Main stand will always be quieter due to the majority being older-aged fans. Crowds of away fans of a few hundred or more will generally generate more noise than the home fans who are split into two sections at opposite ends of the ground. Not only can the away following make a lot of noise but they get the best view of the match (and it's the away fans that are heard in a televised match because the cameras/microphones are in their stand, as well!!)
[Post edited 11 Mar 2015 13:42]

More reason all the home fans should go in to Willbutts, but then we can't charge the away fans as much!
Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 09:45 - Mar 11 with 7628 viewsdingdangblue

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 09:30 - Mar 11 by scooby

More reason all the home fans should go in to Willbutts, but then we can't charge the away fans as much!

Knocking down the Sandy lane end and making it a proper modern safe standiing area would be my choice. Give the Pearl St to away fans and just use the Willbutts for the bigger games. If the Sandy was a decent steep terrace most fans would use it - the terrible view was the main reason I switched when the Pearl St was built back in 97/98.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 10:02 - Mar 11 with 7600 viewsTalkingSutty

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 09:45 - Mar 11 by dingdangblue

Knocking down the Sandy lane end and making it a proper modern safe standiing area would be my choice. Give the Pearl St to away fans and just use the Willbutts for the bigger games. If the Sandy was a decent steep terrace most fans would use it - the terrible view was the main reason I switched when the Pearl St was built back in 97/98.

What would you do with the fans from the TDS who want to sit down because the main stand wouldn't have the capacity I don't think? I would prefer to stand in the Sandy but moved to the TDS for the same reason as you, much better view.

I would be surprised if the Sandy will ever be upgraded due to planning permission and its proximity to the main road. There is no reason for the capacity to increase and if anything upgrading the main stand facilities would probably be a better financial investment.
Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 10:12 - Mar 11 with 7580 viewsdingdangblue

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 10:02 - Mar 11 by TalkingSutty

What would you do with the fans from the TDS who want to sit down because the main stand wouldn't have the capacity I don't think? I would prefer to stand in the Sandy but moved to the TDS for the same reason as you, much better view.

I would be surprised if the Sandy will ever be upgraded due to planning permission and its proximity to the main road. There is no reason for the capacity to increase and if anything upgrading the main stand facilities would probably be a better financial investment.

Not sure about main stand capacity and what percentage of seats are free for a normal game in regards to re seating those who don't want to stand? The thread is about atmosphere though and I think the only way of improving it is getting all the vocal fans together in one stand - preferably behind one of the goals.

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 10:38 - Mar 11 with 7559 viewsTalkingSutty

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 10:12 - Mar 11 by dingdangblue

Not sure about main stand capacity and what percentage of seats are free for a normal game in regards to re seating those who don't want to stand? The thread is about atmosphere though and I think the only way of improving it is getting all the vocal fans together in one stand - preferably behind one of the goals.

I agree with that, get all the singers under one roof and the TDS is the ideal stand. It has better facilities, better view and generates more noise. I can't think of another ground that splits its vocal support like we do, seated stands behind the goal are the norm now. Better for Hilly also because he would only have to wave to one stand instead of two!!

The Home end at Stockport County was a good example of a noise generator( apart from when we stuck 7 up them). In this day and age of stadium improvement the Sandy now looks a bit poxy and is probably the worst in the Football League, even Accringtons terrace has a better view.

If the singing sections do consider getting together in one stand they need to bite the bullet and get it sorted before season tickets go on sale in a couple of months time. Get some flags up on the back of the TDS and make some noise, it makes sense.
[Post edited 11 Mar 2015 10:50]
Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 10:53 - Mar 11 with 7528 viewsdingdangblue

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 10:38 - Mar 11 by TalkingSutty

I agree with that, get all the singers under one roof and the TDS is the ideal stand. It has better facilities, better view and generates more noise. I can't think of another ground that splits its vocal support like we do, seated stands behind the goal are the norm now. Better for Hilly also because he would only have to wave to one stand instead of two!!

The Home end at Stockport County was a good example of a noise generator( apart from when we stuck 7 up them). In this day and age of stadium improvement the Sandy now looks a bit poxy and is probably the worst in the Football League, even Accringtons terrace has a better view.

If the singing sections do consider getting together in one stand they need to bite the bullet and get it sorted before season tickets go on sale in a couple of months time. Get some flags up on the back of the TDS and make some noise, it makes sense.
[Post edited 11 Mar 2015 10:50]

I know they do safe standing areas in Germany. Would it be worth the club looking into the cost of making part of the Pearl Street a safe standing area - obviously we'd have to sort out owning the ground 1st. If we were the 1st club in England to do this it would also be great publicity for us and might be a novelty that gained us a few extra fans.

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 10:55 - Mar 11 with 7525 viewsTalkingSutty

Improving the atmosphere at Spotland on 10:53 - Mar 11 by dingdangblue

I know they do safe standing areas in Germany. Would it be worth the club looking into the cost of making part of the Pearl Street a safe standing area - obviously we'd have to sort out owning the ground 1st. If we were the 1st club in England to do this it would also be great publicity for us and might be a novelty that gained us a few extra fans.

The way our home attendances have been recently we could even have our own crush barrier!!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024