Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
NML has started well 19:08 - Aug 12 with 5429 views442Dale

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/cardiff-city/10985592

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

NML has started well on 19:21 - Aug 12 with 4261 viewsdingdangblue

The free transfer out do's the £12 million pound man!

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

NML has started well on 19:43 - Aug 12 with 4211 viewsonedalefan

And he played for 86 minutes.
NML has started well on 19:51 - Aug 12 with 4177 views1mark1

Could well be that Championship football will suit him better, with different styles of play, and overall better pitches.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

NML has started well on 19:58 - Aug 12 with 4142 viewsdingdangblue

NML has started well on 19:51 - Aug 12 by 1mark1

Could well be that Championship football will suit him better, with different styles of play, and overall better pitches.

To be fair Mendez-Laing has all the talent, pace, skill and finishing power to be whatever he wants to be. It's down to him though. He could easily go all the way to the Prem.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

NML has started well on 00:12 - Aug 13 with 3892 viewsYorkshire_Dale

NML has started well on 19:58 - Aug 12 by dingdangblue

To be fair Mendez-Laing has all the talent, pace, skill and finishing power to be whatever he wants to be. It's down to him though. He could easily go all the way to the Prem.

Correct..........re-born at San Spotty.

Don't forget that Nathaniel lad!

(and good luck)
NML has started well on 20:32 - Aug 13 with 3485 viewsFrog

Getting rave reviews in the Welsh press and a 9 out of 10 rating.
NML has started well on 20:49 - Aug 13 with 3448 views442Dale

NML has started well on 20:32 - Aug 13 by Frog

Getting rave reviews in the Welsh press and a 9 out of 10 rating.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rise-nathaniel-mendez-

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

NML has started well on 22:11 - Aug 13 with 3355 viewsdingdangblue

NML has started well on 20:49 - Aug 13 by 442Dale

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rise-nathaniel-mendez-

Glad to read that Colin has turned Mendez-Laing's career around!

Login to get fewer ads

NML has started well on 22:15 - Aug 13 with 3344 views1mark1

He's got a really good manager to work under at Cardiff.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

NML has started well on 21:01 - Aug 15 with 2870 viewsdingdangblue

Just scored another beauty v Sheffield United.
On fire 🔥

NML has started well on 10:22 - Aug 16 with 2543 viewsdingdangblue

We all remember wonderful goals like this.......
Different division, same class.

NML has started well on 10:31 - Aug 16 with 2523 viewsDaleiLama

NML has started well on 10:22 - Aug 16 by dingdangblue

We all remember wonderful goals like this.......
Different division, same class.

If only we could have got one more season out of him ............
Thanks for the memories NML

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

NML has started well on 11:55 - Aug 16 with 2394 viewsmidlandsdale

NML has started well on 10:31 - Aug 16 by DaleiLama

If only he could have started either season with us like this!

Wonder what the sudden improvement from the turn of the year was? Either way feels like we have been robbed by not getting any money for what now seems like the finished article. No reflection on the player who was superb the last few months he was here.
NML has started well on 12:02 - Aug 16 with 2381 viewsdingdangblue

NML has started well on 10:31 - Aug 16 by DaleiLama

In today's inflated transfer market - looking at what Middlesbrough paid for Assombalonga and Villa paid for Hogan ..........Mendez Laing is a £10 million+ player at this moment in time. If his goals take Cardiff back to the Prem he'll go down as one of the best free transfer's ever. Cruel on us but we can't really be offering 3-4 year contracts out either - it must be a big dilemma for Hill and Dunphy because a 2 year contract (which is our most common) after 12 months we are either hoping they'll sign an extension or having to sell or risk losing them for nothing.

NML has started well on 12:55 - Aug 16 with 2281 viewsboromat

NML has started well on 12:02 - Aug 16 by dingdangblue

In today's inflated transfer market - looking at what Middlesbrough paid for Assombalonga and Villa paid for Hogan ..........Mendez Laing is a £10 million+ player at this moment in time. If his goals take Cardiff back to the Prem he'll go down as one of the best free transfer's ever. Cruel on us but we can't really be offering 3-4 year contracts out either - it must be a big dilemma for Hill and Dunphy because a 2 year contract (which is our most common) after 12 months we are either hoping they'll sign an extension or having to sell or risk losing them for nothing.

It's always a gamble. For example imagine still having Donal here on a big contract sat on the bench! He also could have easily gone the other way played his best consistently and gone up to the Championship. At least the team gained from NML while he was here. I'm sure we got our moneys worth even if we didn't win big with a money transfer.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

NML has started well on 12:57 - Aug 16 with 2273 viewsD_Alien

NML has started well on 11:55 - Aug 16 by midlandsdale

If only he could have started either season with us like this!

Wonder what the sudden improvement from the turn of the year was? Either way feels like we have been robbed by not getting any money for what now seems like the finished article. No reflection on the player who was superb the last few months he was here.

I'm afraid it's very much a reflection on the player who was superb for the last few months...

What else could it possibly be? You ask what the sudden improvement might've been, but the only person responsible for him not putting the necessary effort in during the previous 18 months was NML

Perhaps he had problems in his personal life, and that's fair enough - it can happen to anyone especially at that age - but during that period he was being paid a couple of thousand pounds per week for his dilatory services. He then calculated that his best chance of progress was to see out his contract and be available on a free whilst suddenly putting a rocket up his own arse. It was great to see, but let's not fool ourselves that it doesn't reflect on him to a great extent. Compare that with Joey T, for instance, who's had real problems

I wish NML well for his future, but we have been to some extent used as a means of supporting his lifestyle until it suited him to perform

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

NML has started well on 12:58 - Aug 16 with 2270 viewsShun

It's between him and Will Buckley for the most exciting player I've ever seen at Dale. Just magical in those last few months.
NML has started well on 12:59 - Aug 16 with 2265 viewsJames1980

Success stories like this must help Rochdale attract players though. Which hopefully leads to more choice and greater chance of pushing on to the next level

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

NML has started well on 13:16 - Aug 16 with 2225 viewsShun

NML has started well on 12:57 - Aug 16 by D_Alien

I'm afraid it's very much a reflection on the player who was superb for the last few months...

What else could it possibly be? You ask what the sudden improvement might've been, but the only person responsible for him not putting the necessary effort in during the previous 18 months was NML

Perhaps he had problems in his personal life, and that's fair enough - it can happen to anyone especially at that age - but during that period he was being paid a couple of thousand pounds per week for his dilatory services. He then calculated that his best chance of progress was to see out his contract and be available on a free whilst suddenly putting a rocket up his own arse. It was great to see, but let's not fool ourselves that it doesn't reflect on him to a great extent. Compare that with Joey T, for instance, who's had real problems

I wish NML well for his future, but we have been to some extent used as a means of supporting his lifestyle until it suited him to perform

I think that's being harsh on him. He was by no means anonymous in his first 18 months. From January onwards in both of his seasons here he certainly upped his game, but before that I don't think he was bad. Perhaps by his standards that he set himself in his last 5 or 6 months here then anything before that was a let-down. But in reality in those preceding months he still showed glimpses of talent and I still would've had him in the team more often than not. Even when he wasn't making the first team he was still streets ahead of McDermott, for instance.
NML has started well on 13:26 - Aug 16 with 2199 viewsfrenzied

Great to see him doing so well

You can have all the talent in the world but if your attitudes crap then you will always be the" cudda shudda but didn't make it man".......so many fall into this category sadly, and by the time they wake up its too late and the legs wont do it anymore.
NML has started well on 13:31 - Aug 16 with 2180 viewsD_Alien

NML has started well on 13:16 - Aug 16 by Shun

I think that's being harsh on him. He was by no means anonymous in his first 18 months. From January onwards in both of his seasons here he certainly upped his game, but before that I don't think he was bad. Perhaps by his standards that he set himself in his last 5 or 6 months here then anything before that was a let-down. But in reality in those preceding months he still showed glimpses of talent and I still would've had him in the team more often than not. Even when he wasn't making the first team he was still streets ahead of McDermott, for instance.

I am being harsh, but that's how professional football is when you're picking up dream money at an early age. He showed plenty of glimpses of what he was capable of during his early days with us, as you say. He was then left out more often than not. Possibly his head wasn't right, and I can sympathise with that, but for goodness sake... how many young lads his age are picking up a couple of grand a week until they sort themselves out?

I'm being harsh because he was afforded that luxury, and we saw great performances when it mattered... to him. Therefore it's simply incorrect to say that it's no reflection on him, which is the point I was responding to

[Post edited 16 Aug 2017 13:31]

NML has started well on 13:42 - Aug 16 with 2149 viewsdingdangblue

NML has started well on 13:31 - Aug 16 by D_Alien

I am being harsh, but that's how professional football is when you're picking up dream money at an early age. He showed plenty of glimpses of what he was capable of during his early days with us, as you say. He was then left out more often than not. Possibly his head wasn't right, and I can sympathise with that, but for goodness sake... how many young lads his age are picking up a couple of grand a week until they sort themselves out?

I'm being harsh because he was afforded that luxury, and we saw great performances when it mattered... to him. Therefore it's simply incorrect to say that it's no reflection on him, which is the point I was responding to

[Post edited 16 Aug 2017 13:31]

His form towards the end of last season could (and should) have got us in the play offs. He was winning us games virtually on his own at times he was that good. There's a good chance had he won us promotion he could have stayed with us in the Championship? Yes it helped him get a great move to Cardiff but I'd rather that than he'd downed tools knowing he was leaving anyway - which has happened up and down the leagues in the past. I personally don't feel that he used us - but can obviously see how others may think he did.

NML has started well on 14:31 - Aug 16 with 2048 viewsD_Alien

NML has started well on 13:42 - Aug 16 by dingdangblue

His form towards the end of last season could (and should) have got us in the play offs. He was winning us games virtually on his own at times he was that good. There's a good chance had he won us promotion he could have stayed with us in the Championship? Yes it helped him get a great move to Cardiff but I'd rather that than he'd downed tools knowing he was leaving anyway - which has happened up and down the leagues in the past. I personally don't feel that he used us - but can obviously see how others may think he did.

All good points

Perhaps it's harsh to compare someone his age with, for instance, a junior doctor, who despite knowing their stuff just couldn't cope with the day in day out reality at the coalface (bedside) and found themselves falling down the pecking order when it came to their next placement. By the time they'd got their head right it could be too late, and their peers have advanced

Football isn't real life though, is it, and people become seduced by dream performances over a short period of time

NML has started well on 15:52 - Aug 16 with 1945 viewsrochdaleriddler

He mustn't have ripped trees up at Peterborough , we took a chance and eventually he started realising his potential . I very much doubt that he calculated his best chance would be to up his game, and get a free transfer.i don't think anyone chooses to play badly. Who says he was on 2k a week? I enjoyed watching him play, we paid nowt for him, and if he hadn't discovered some form he might be at Stockport now. Good luck to him

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

NML has started well on 16:06 - Aug 16 with 1915 viewsmidlandsdale

I was referring more to the fact that going for free wasn't his fault. I thought he was rubbish when he first came and was a poor signing. Proved me wrong in his last months
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024