Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Where would you go? 19:28 - Jul 13 with 10095 viewsJames1980

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/pr0a8889c35ce74100b70b85ba4af335.aspx

Thinking about getting one of these tickets. Where would you folk say would be the best route?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Where would you go? on 17:48 - Oct 16 with 1494 viewsrochdaleriddler

Where would you go? on 17:28 - Oct 16 by James1980

Itinerary is going to pretty packed. Along with the ale houses suggested, I am going to try The Ratty Arms in Ravenglass. Any suggestions for Penrith and Hexham are much appreciated.

Both places have great pubs, and independent shops, go a little further to Corbridge past Hexham v nice.

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Where would you go? on 17:55 - Oct 16 with 1486 viewsblackdogblue

Where would you go? on 17:46 - Oct 16 by James1980

Alas I can't partake in any illegal contraband sold by street traders, due to zero tolerance at work and random testing.

You had better hold your breath then, the stench of weed will tip you over

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Where would you go? on 18:00 - Oct 16 with 1475 viewsJames1980

I have been alright so far when I have ventured into Rochdale Town

Where would you go? on 18:03 - Oct 16 with 1472 viewsblackdogblue

Where would you go? on 17:46 - Oct 16 by rochdaleriddler

He’s been to Rochdale before, but I disagree with you. The flying Horse, the Medicine Tap, the Baum, are three great and friendly Rochdale pubs. If you travel a little way out you have The Healey, the Oxford, the Cemetary and many more

Agree the Baum is not bad if you like Real Ale and last time I went in they were still discounting for Camra members.

The Healey is expensive & a long way from the town centre, the Cem is also not the cheapest & a Clique...

As a visitor, would recommend the more upmarket area of Bamford..

There’s the Winston Churchill Harvester for food, the Grapes is a nice environment & also does really nice food but you need to book, Hare & Hounds isn’t bad & Dolce Vita / Bamford Tandori / Mojitos (Bamford wine bar) are about £3 in a taxi from the ground. All the above are within walking distance of each other 👍

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Where would you go? on 18:14 - Oct 16 with 1462 viewsfitzochris

Where would you go? on 18:03 - Oct 16 by blackdogblue

Agree the Baum is not bad if you like Real Ale and last time I went in they were still discounting for Camra members.

The Healey is expensive & a long way from the town centre, the Cem is also not the cheapest & a Clique...

There’s the Winston Churchill Harvester for food, the Grapes is a nice environment & also does really nice food but you need to book, Hare & Hounds isn’t bad & Dolce Vita / Bamford Tandori / Mojitos (Bamford wine bar) are about £3 in a taxi from the ground. All the above are within walking distance of each other 👍

And if you visit the bowling club on a Friday night, you’ll be treated to my dad’s Northern Soul DJ set.

I wish I was kidding...

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Where would you go? on 18:34 - Oct 16 with 1441 viewsrochdaleriddler

Where would you go? on 18:03 - Oct 16 by blackdogblue

Harvester for food?

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Where would you go? on 19:02 - Oct 16 with 1409 viewsD_Alien

Alas I can't partake in any illegal contraband sold by street traders, due to zero tolerance at work and random testing.

Ignore him James, he's quite simply wrong

https://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/128/advertorials/130695/experienc

[Post edited 16 Oct 2019 19:04]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Where would you go? on 19:09 - Oct 16 with 1401 viewsrochedale

Get a new job, then you can be constantly off yer tits!

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

Login to get fewer ads

Where would you go? on 07:28 - Oct 17 with 1266 viewsrochedale

Where would you go? on 17:29 - Oct 16 by blackdogblue

Only problem I see on your scenic railway journey is Rochdale or Dogdale as more commonly known.

Town centre is handy for a range of vape, pawn, pound, charity shops or a bank. No fast food outlets greater than 1* Food Hygiene rating nor any resteraunt chains / decent Indian or Chinese either..

Alternatively you can get freely any form of illegal substances or purchase a big issue to while away the hours back down south from outside B&M..

There are many pubs & clubs, none friendly though and Saturday night resembles Ibiza on speed, with the exception of the Black Dog obviously 😀

Bit harsh. There’s a few decent bars in town and it’s looking a lot better nowadays. Don’t know what’s planned for Yorkshire St, but the new Riverside complex is looking good. When Nando’s confirm that should help drag a few more in so hopefully full occupancy by the time it opens in Easter. There’s still loads of issues with the town, but I for one think it’s in a much better position than 10/15 years ago and am looking forward to the opening of Rochdale Riverside.

Where would you go? on 07:39 - Oct 17 with 1241 viewsD_Alien

Where would you go? on 07:28 - Oct 17 by rochedale

Bit harsh. There’s a few decent bars in town and it’s looking a lot better nowadays. Don’t know what’s planned for Yorkshire St, but the new Riverside complex is looking good. When Nando’s confirm that should help drag a few more in so hopefully full occupancy by the time it opens in Easter. There’s still loads of issues with the town, but I for one think it’s in a much better position than 10/15 years ago and am looking forward to the opening of Rochdale Riverside.

bdb's post isn't "a bit harsh", its utter tripe

Irrespective of what the Riverside development might bring, there's more than enough variety and quality to cater for the vast majority of people's tastes, as the link i provided earlier demonstrates

As for not being "friendly" i think there's a clue in bdb's username as to what he regards as an ambient place to hang out
[Post edited 17 Oct 2019 7:46]

Where would you go? on 07:48 - Oct 17 with 1225 viewsrochedale

Where would you go? on 07:39 - Oct 17 by D_Alien

Irrespective of what the Riverside development might bring, there's more than enough variety and quality to cater for the vast majority of people's tastes, as the link i provided earlier demonstrates

As for not being "friendly" i think there's a clue in bdb's username as to what he regards as an ambient place to hang out

I always assumed his username referred to black dog ball room, is it not?

Where would you go? on 08:34 - Oct 17 with 1191 viewsJames1980

Will be getting to Rochdale between 12 and 1 on Saturday so not much time for a great deal of exploring before the game. Not had a bad experience in any of the pubs I have been in so far on my trips up so far.

Where would you go? on 09:59 - Oct 17 with 1154 viewsfitzochris

Where would you go? on 07:48 - Oct 17 by rochedale

I always assumed his username referred to black dog ball room, is it not?

I assumed it was the Black Dog pub up Ings Lane way?

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Where would you go? on 10:22 - Oct 17 with 1120 viewsD_Alien

Where would you go? on 09:59 - Oct 17 by fitzochris

I assumed it was the Black Dog pub up Ings Lane way?

Going off previous on here, that's a safe assumption

Think rochedale's post was tic

Where would you go? on 10:22 - Oct 17 with 1122 viewskiwidale

Where would you go? on 08:34 - Oct 17 by James1980

Will be getting to Rochdale between 12 and 1 on Saturday so not much time for a great deal of exploring before the game. Not had a bad experience in any of the pubs I have been in so far on my trips up so far.

James not to be missed make sure you checkout the views from Curbstone edge.

This is not the time for bickering.

Where would you go? on 11:06 - Oct 17 with 1095 viewsJimmyRustler

Where would you go? on 07:39 - Oct 17 by D_Alien

I also subscribe to the view that there are decent places to eat, drink and be merry in Rochdale if you look hard enough.

However, whichever way you dress it up, the town centre itself is a shithole
Where would you go? on 11:11 - Oct 17 with 1088 viewsJames1980

Where would you go? on 11:06 - Oct 17 by JimmyRustler

I also subscribe to the view that there are decent places to eat, drink and be merry in Rochdale if you look hard enough.

The town hall is pretty impressive and the pubs near to it are good especially The Flying Horse

Where would you go? on 12:02 - Oct 17 with 1053 viewsScunnydale

Where would you go? on 17:46 - Oct 16 by rochdaleriddler

He’s been to Rochdale before, but I disagree with you. The flying Horse, the Medicine Tap, the Baum, are three great and friendly Rochdale pubs. If you travel a little way out you have The Healey, the Oxford, the Cemetary and many more

Spot on. Until last year, I had only come to Rochdale for the football so had missed the town centre.

Then I decided I'd get the train to a match and sampled the Flyer and Medicine Tap. Hugely impressed by both of them. They're as good as you'd get anywhere. Plus, the Town Hall/river area isn't bad either.
Where would you go? on 12:48 - Oct 17 with 1016 viewsrochdaleriddler

Where would you go? on 11:06 - Oct 17 by JimmyRustler

Some of it is, hopefully the improvement will continue

Where would you go? on 13:02 - Oct 17 with 998 viewsaleanddale

Where would you go? on 21:03 - Jul 13 by judd

Bury to settle just will not happen

Bloody marvellous Judd!

Where would you go? on 14:43 - Oct 17 with 942 viewsD_Alien

Where would you go? on 12:48 - Oct 17 by rochdaleriddler

Some of it is, hopefully the improvement will continue

And that's the crux of it

Huge improvements have been made, and continue to be made, to turn our town centre around. Sit outside the Medicine Tap on a warm sunny day, and whichever direction you look in, the sightlines are very pleasant indeed

To the right, the view up the Esplanade with historic buildings and a much-improved area up Birdcage Walk towards the Broadfield Hotel. Straight ahead, the magnificent town hall and much-improved square with Packer Spout looking great as the church steps rise towards St. Chads. To the left, the newly opened Roch and bridgework, with the Riverside development (despite it's garish colouring) and modernist council offices with the moors now visible in the distance

Of course there are areas that need to be improved, and it looks like they are being. A shithole? That's such a tired cliche now, and whilst people are entitled to feel bad about it if they wish, i for one am impressed with the way it's being dragged up by its bootlaces, and i'm not easily pleased

Where would you go? on 15:19 - Oct 17 with 906 viewsJimmyRustler

Where would you go? on 14:43 - Oct 17 by D_Alien

And that's the crux of it

Huge improvements have been made, and continue to be made, to turn our town centre around. Sit outside the Medicine Tap on a warm sunny day, and whichever direction you look in, the sightlines are very pleasant indeed

To the right, the view up the Esplanade with historic buildings and a much-improved area up Birdcage Walk towards the Broadfield Hotel. Straight ahead, the magnificent town hall and much-improved square with Packer Spout looking great as the church steps rise towards St. Chads. To the left, the newly opened Roch and bridgework, with the Riverside development (despite it's garish colouring) and modernist council offices with the moors now visible in the distance

Of course there are areas that need to be improved, and it looks like they are being. A shithole? That's such a tired cliche now, and whilst people are entitled to feel bad about it if they wish, i for one am impressed with the way it's being dragged up by its bootlaces, and i'm not easily pleased

No-one is doubting that improvements are being made. And of course, if you sit stationary in a newly opened swanky bar, in front of one of the most impressive landmarks in the country, you'd have to be a moron to complain about the view.

But that just makes it a shithole in (attempted) transition. I don't mean to labour the point or seem like I'm constantly belittling the town where I was born and bred but I don't get the sensitivity around the issue. The town centre is a dive. You know it. I know it. The pigeons know it. The crisp packets taken away by the blustery winds (the lucky sods) know it.

As I've already mentioned, finding somewhere to eat and drink isn't all that difficult. And tbh, once you're in the confines of an establishment, the area outside is largely none of your concern. But as soon as you step out of the door, your chances of being offered a blowy for 50p and a pack of Malboro's increases tenfold (especially on Drake Street or Yorkshire Street - two of the shittiest shithole bits)
Where would you go? on 15:41 - Oct 17 with 882 viewsjudd

Where would you go? on 15:19 - Oct 17 by JimmyRustler

No-one is doubting that improvements are being made. And of course, if you sit stationary in a newly opened swanky bar, in front of one of the most impressive landmarks in the country, you'd have to be a moron to complain about the view.

But that just makes it a shithole in (attempted) transition. I don't mean to labour the point or seem like I'm constantly belittling the town where I was born and bred but I don't get the sensitivity around the issue. The town centre is a dive. You know it. I know it. The pigeons know it. The crisp packets taken away by the blustery winds (the lucky sods) know it.

As I've already mentioned, finding somewhere to eat and drink isn't all that difficult. And tbh, once you're in the confines of an establishment, the area outside is largely none of your concern. But as soon as you step out of the door, your chances of being offered a blowy for 50p and a pack of Malboro's increases tenfold (especially on Drake Street or Yorkshire Street - two of the shittiest shithole bits)

Any particular time of day you'd recommend, erm, to avoid such offers, yeah, avoid?

Poll: What is it to be then?

Where would you go? on 15:59 - Oct 17 with 861 viewsrochdaleriddler

Never been offered either, in Rochdale , in Manchester the other day a guy with a bin bag full of tobacco in the pub , what a shithole

Where would you go? on 16:42 - Oct 17 with 823 viewsD_Alien

I was offered more gear in Lisbon a week or so ago than i've ever been offered in my life in Rochdale

Is Lisbon a shithole too?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024