Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lucky or deserved victory 11:29 - Feb 3 with 2754 viewstony_roch975

Probably this should be a poll but I'm not a fan!

Been mulling this over since Sat. Match Thread echoes my neighbouring fans comments then that we were lucky, didn't deserve the victory and it was 'embarassing that our keeper was MOM'.

True, Shrews gave us little space, had more possession and shots and created chances, but dominating possession doesn't guarantee a win (as Dale know to their cost). Yes, we made a couple of potentially costly defensive errors, misplaced some passes and the pitch & conditions were poor. It was a dour watch but in the end we both had 4 shots on target, our keeper saved all their's and their's didn't - that's skill not luck. Our goal didn't bobble off a hillock & take a dozen deflections!

Of course 'run of the ball' matters in any ball game and we had that but what do folk think - luck or merit?

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Lucky or deserved victory on 11:38 - Feb 3 with 2718 viewsD_Alien

I'd say neither!

It wasn't down to luck, and all the reasons why it wouldn't be you've already pointed out

But neither was it a win which can be attributed to merit. I genuinely thought Shrews were the better team, but as the game wore on and they didn't score there's always the possibility of a late goal as their minds perhaps began to wander to their next fixture

If we'd drawn at MK Dons (as we should've done) and drawn against Shrews (as we might've done), we'd be one point worse off. Football, eh?

[Post edited 3 Feb 2020 11:49]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Lucky or deserved victory on 12:21 - Feb 3 with 2651 viewsdawlishdale

Shrewsbury were the better team by some distance, and imho deserved the victory for their overall play plus our overall drearyness , but somehow, we managed to win. (+3 points)

At MK Dons, we got our tactics wrong, and gave away a stupid penalty that cost us a deserved point. (-1 point)

Against Gillingham, the referee missed the most blatant penalty for us that you will ever see which would have seen us win.(-2 points)

So...on balance over the last 3 games we are level with where we deserve to be on points....just not in the correct order !!!

Funny old game.
Lucky or deserved victory on 12:45 - Feb 3 with 2597 viewsDaleiLama

Was discussing this at the match and my comment was that if it had been a boxing match, we'd have probably lost the verdict on points.

I also commented that I was fed up with our g/k getting motm - absolutely not a knock on Bobby, more a comment on how we play at home. I know matches ebb and flow, subs and formations make a difference and I also know the other team play to stop us and can tire, but we looked like a different team at the end of the game than the start. And I'd like to be entertained again (see Judd's recent comments about the "drudgery" characterising our style of play recently). On another thread, I asked for a return to no fear football. I know we won't win them all, but just occasionally I'd like motm to go an RAFC player that scored a hat-trick.

Luck, or otherwise, evens itself out over time anyway, even if we were accused of being lucky. I thought we were the second best team and came away with 3 points. In this instance, that was probably more important than being entertained to give us more of a cushion. But I would still like to go back to us being entertained.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Lucky or deserved victory on 13:06 - Feb 3 with 2536 viewsJames1980

Lucky or deserved victory on 12:45 - Feb 3 by DaleiLama

Was discussing this at the match and my comment was that if it had been a boxing match, we'd have probably lost the verdict on points.

I also commented that I was fed up with our g/k getting motm - absolutely not a knock on Bobby, more a comment on how we play at home. I know matches ebb and flow, subs and formations make a difference and I also know the other team play to stop us and can tire, but we looked like a different team at the end of the game than the start. And I'd like to be entertained again (see Judd's recent comments about the "drudgery" characterising our style of play recently). On another thread, I asked for a return to no fear football. I know we won't win them all, but just occasionally I'd like motm to go an RAFC player that scored a hat-trick.

Luck, or otherwise, evens itself out over time anyway, even if we were accused of being lucky. I thought we were the second best team and came away with 3 points. In this instance, that was probably more important than being entertained to give us more of a cushion. But I would still like to go back to us being entertained.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Lucky or deserved victory on 17:12 - Feb 3 with 2346 viewskiwidale

Lucky or deserved victory on 12:45 - Feb 3 by DaleiLama

If you want entertaining go t'pictures... Geoff Boycott

This is not the time for bickering.

Lucky or deserved victory on 17:30 - Feb 3 with 2294 viewsblackdogblue

Lucky or deserved victory on 17:12 - Feb 3 by kiwidale

If you ever need something to make you laugh, go for walk up & down Gigg Lane... Blackdogblue 😀😀

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Lucky or deserved victory on 17:35 - Feb 3 with 2288 viewsCockneyDale

Lucky or deserved victory on 12:21 - Feb 3 by dawlishdale

Shrewsbury were the better team by some distance, and imho deserved the victory for their overall play plus our overall drearyness , but somehow, we managed to win. (+3 points)

At MK Dons, we got our tactics wrong, and gave away a stupid penalty that cost us a deserved point. (-1 point)

Against Gillingham, the referee missed the most blatant penalty for us that you will ever see which would have seen us win.(-2 points)

So...on balance over the last 3 games we are level with where we deserve to be on points....just not in the correct order !!!

Funny old game.

And add to that the last minute penalty given away against Wycombe, where we deserved a point. I'd say we're still owed a couple of last minute winners!
Lucky or deserved victory on 18:39 - Feb 3 with 2206 viewsDalenet

Aye and what a prick he was. Nobody watches county cricket anymore. Lets not take his advice and spend our days in the cinema.

Of all the game this season a draw would have been a fair result. But as others have said, we haven't had our fair share of the spoils in recent games so it evens out over the season. But we are awful to watch for long spells of a game and I don't get BBMs insistence on playing across the back when our players are not strong enough and put themselves under stupid pressure every game. He says that everybody is behind him with the approach.,.. well I sense fans are turning. The level of moaning and frustrated cries from all 3 stands was as audible as at any game I can remember in recent times.

I want BBM to learn and respond and he needs time to get it right. But we are not pretty to watch and the home fan count on Saturday shows that some people are staying away. Maybe they just do want to be entertained before they part with £22
Login to get fewer ads

Lucky or deserved victory on 18:48 - Feb 3 with 2188 viewsdalefertcup2

Lucky or deserved victory on 11:38 - Feb 3 by D_Alien

I'd say neither!

It wasn't down to luck, and all the reasons why it wouldn't be you've already pointed out

But neither was it a win which can be attributed to merit. I genuinely thought Shrews were the better team, but as the game wore on and they didn't score there's always the possibility of a late goal as their minds perhaps began to wander to their next fixture

If we'd drawn at MK Dons (as we should've done) and drawn against Shrews (as we might've done), we'd be one point worse off. Football, eh?

[Post edited 3 Feb 2020 11:49]

And drawn against Wycombe we’d have the same number of points. However MK dons have two points more than they would have so maybe we would be better off having drawn all three games.
Lucky or deserved victory on 21:25 - Feb 3 with 2075 viewsCleedale

...and nothing more entertaining than this classic Boycs' clip...

Lucky or deserved victory on 22:34 - Feb 3 with 1993 viewsdingdangblue

Lucky or deserved victory on 21:25 - Feb 3 by Cleedale

...and nothing more entertaining than this classic Boycs' clip...

That's brilliant.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Lucky or deserved victory on 15:54 - Feb 4 with 1795 viewsCleedale

Lucky or deserved victory on 22:34 - Feb 3 by dingdangblue

That's brilliant.

It really is a classic. Still have clear memories of Peter Lever (Lancs) storming in to bowl at Boycott on a typical Old Trafford Roses match dark early evening.

Don't think Boycott got a sight of anything or the bat close to any delivery.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024