Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Update on fans returning 18:24 - Sep 15 with 17353 views442Dale

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/54158891

So some could have fans back at weekend, however “ Those in local lockdown areas were told they would not receive permission to take part in the test events.”

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Update on fans returning on 08:25 - Sep 24 with 2246 viewsdingdangblue

Update on fans returning on 20:31 - Sep 23 by TipperaryDale

A lot of fans who bought a season ticket, and who probably won't be active on this board, don't have the means (nor the inclination) to watch streaming online, especially the older fans.

Ifollow, to me, is not a substitute for live football - it could be given as an option to those fans who want it, but if they don't they shouldn't be forced to pay for it.

An option for the club could be to roll-over STs for the next season for those fans who want to do that. I think flexibility is key; what is acceptable to some would be completely useless for others. A range of options would be good.

Rolling this seasons ticket to next season is a fantastic idea. No hassle with refunds and the club get to keep this seasons money for now - hopefully the rumour of clubs being helped out with grants to see them through this tricky period is true.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Update on fans returning on 08:28 - Sep 24 with 2245 viewsjudd

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikemeehallwood/2020/09/23/its-horrific-efl-clubs-f

Poll: What is it to be then?

Update on fans returning on 09:13 - Sep 24 with 2161 views442Dale

Update on fans returning on 08:28 - Sep 24 by judd

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikemeehallwood/2020/09/23/its-horrific-efl-clubs-f

Of note:

<< “It was going to be a severe impact under the regulations that had been set out anyway,” said David Bottomley, CEO of Rochdale. “Under the regulations that we had been working towards for the last eight weeks, which have already cost us money to implement, we were looking at a loss of income from hospitality and reduced crowds of around £2m for a club that turns over between £6 and 7 million. That’s a third of our income.”>>

From here:
https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2020/august/an-update-from-the-chairman/

<<“ Our finances will be impacted further by starting the season behind-closed-doors. We know that the 2020/21 campaign will kick-off behind-closed-doors before moving to a reduced capacity inside the stadium from October 1st onwards. We will be limited to just 2170 fans inside the Crown Oil Arena and if that limit is to be in place for the entire season, then we face a loss of revenue of £650k, as well as a loss of £450k from Executive Boxes and hospitality, resulting in a further £1m hole in our finances.”>>

While it is good to find out more about the current position of our football club so we all have a better understanding of the challenges we face during such a difficult time, it’s disappointing that the detail (including the positives around the profit expected for the financial year up to 2020) is stumbled across in the media rather than being directly relayed to supporters via the club’s website.

As per the September Dale Trust newsletter to members:
<<“ Work with the club
We have met with the club over the past couple of months on a weekly basis.

We met with them again on Friday where we reiterated the need for the club to maintain communication with supporters at all times. This has been a recurring theme for a while, and when the club do keep supporters updated, they are excellent in doing so, and provide a level of transparency that you'd struggle to find at any other club in the EFL. However, that communication is too intermittent and is often as a result of bring pushed into doing so. In fairness to the club, this is not down to a desire on their part to keep fans in the dark. We are working with them to try and improve this, and have submitted some ideas that should make a real positive difference on this.”>>

Also of note, the last “Meeting with the club” report on the Trust site is dated the 12th August. That all said, nobody is disputing how hard this situation is for everyone, however there has to be an admittance that making things harder by not communicating clearly and on a consistent basis isn’t helping.
[Post edited 24 Sep 2020 9:25]

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Update on fans returning on 09:25 - Sep 24 with 2131 viewsjudd

Update on fans returning on 09:13 - Sep 24 by 442Dale

Of note:

<< “It was going to be a severe impact under the regulations that had been set out anyway,” said David Bottomley, CEO of Rochdale. “Under the regulations that we had been working towards for the last eight weeks, which have already cost us money to implement, we were looking at a loss of income from hospitality and reduced crowds of around £2m for a club that turns over between £6 and 7 million. That’s a third of our income.”>>

From here:

<<“ Our finances will be impacted further by starting the season behind-closed-doors. We know that the 2020/21 campaign will kick-off behind-closed-doors before moving to a reduced capacity inside the stadium from October 1st onwards. We will be limited to just 2170 fans inside the Crown Oil Arena and if that limit is to be in place for the entire season, then we face a loss of revenue of £650k, as well as a loss of £450k from Executive Boxes and hospitality, resulting in a further £1m hole in our finances.”>>

While it is good to find out more about the current position of our football club so we all have a better understanding of the challenges we face during such a difficult time, it’s disappointing that the detail (including the positives around the profit expected for the financial year up to 2020) is stumbled across in the media rather than being directly relayed to supporters via the club’s website.

<<“ Work with the club

We met with them again on Friday where we reiterated the need for the club to maintain communication with supporters at all times. This has been a recurring theme for a while, and when the club do keep supporters updated, they are excellent in doing so, and provide a level of transparency that you'd struggle to find at any other club in the EFL. However, that communication is too intermittent and is often as a result of bring pushed into doing so. In fairness to the club, this is not down to a desire on their part to keep fans in the dark. We are working with them to try and improve this, and have submitted some ideas that should make a real positive difference on this.”>>

Also of note, the last “Meeting with the club” report on the Trust site is dated the 12th August. That all said, nobody is disputing how hard this situation is for everyone, however there has to be an admittance that making things harder by not communicating clearly and on a consistent basis isn’t helping.

Glad you picked up on it.

Update on fans returning on 10:07 - Sep 24 with 2062 viewsDaleiLama

Update on fans returning on 09:13 - Sep 24 by 442Dale

Of note:

From here:

<<“ Work with the club

Also of note:

“If I’m being brutally honest, that was one of the issues that was facing the club anyway. A lot of our white, male, over-70-years old fans will probably not come back to football. We’re already seeing that in season ticket renewals, as many of the 65+ age group have not renewed season tickets because they were concerned anyhow (about the pandemic). In the long term, it’s interesting because my goal is to make us a family club and the best family club at whatever level of football we’re playing at, but for now, I think a lot of people will have got out of the habit.”

I was sat next to one and close to 2 others who were in this approximate age-range above who stated that they were not renewing based on new SC prices regardless of any Covid component contributing to their decision. I am not commenting on the rights and wrongs of our SC pricing and I am fully aware of the cost history and what context that gives to current costs. The point I make is that it is a little disingenuous, in my eyes, to sweep all of the shortfall in SC sales under the virus rug, because it just isn't true. What is true is that these lost fans almost certainly won't come back so getting new young fans is not only vital, but also putting a lot of eggs in a basket which hasn't exactly yielded massive dividends historically. Doesn't mean it is impossible though.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Update on fans returning on 11:35 - Sep 24 with 1949 viewsD_Alien

So its his intention to make Dale into a "family" club? I'd say his primary intention is self-publicity, given that he's taken to communicating primarily through media channels

Of course the bloke is working hard. He'd better be, after manoeuvring himself into the positions he occupies within the club, with the specific aim of taking charge of much of the way in which the club conducts it's business

[Post edited 24 Sep 2020 11:39]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Update on fans returning on 12:47 - Sep 24 with 1830 viewsjudd

"On Saturday, we made about £15,000 from iFollow (the Football League’s streaming service) but we would have normally taken over £100,000 for a game against Portsmouth.”

It was Sunday, wasn't it? But that £15,000 is an interesting figure - how is that made up?

Update on fans returning on 14:32 - Sep 24 with 1737 viewsTipperaryDale

Update on fans returning on 12:47 - Sep 24 by judd

"On Saturday, we made about £15,000 from iFollow (the Football League’s streaming service) but we would have normally taken over £100,000 for a game against Portsmouth.”

It was Sunday, wasn't it? But that £15,000 is an interesting figure - how is that made up?

RAFC get all the revenue from home iFollow passes, plus the first 500 away passes sold. I would think we wouldn't have sold many, perhaps a couple of hundred, meaning revenue from iFollow would be in the £5k-£8k ballpark.

Maybe advertising on said iFollow service? Or does that go to the EFL? Another revenue stream might be advertising at the ground, though I'd be surprised if they would've worked that out on a game-by-game basis.
Login to get fewer ads

Update on fans returning on 14:40 - Sep 24 with 1725 viewsjudd

Update on fans returning on 14:32 - Sep 24 by TipperaryDale

RAFC get all the revenue from home iFollow passes, plus the first 500 away passes sold. I would think we wouldn't have sold many, perhaps a couple of hundred, meaning revenue from iFollow would be in the £5k-£8k ballpark.

Maybe advertising on said iFollow service? Or does that go to the EFL? Another revenue stream might be advertising at the ground, though I'd be surprised if they would've worked that out on a game-by-game basis.

Thanks. Revenue from who for home passes though? We sold c. 1100 season cards and they all got a free pass, so have a further 1,000 Dale fans subscribed? If so, then great news. I would imagine there was a good take up by Portsmouth fans.

Anyway, interesting amount to earn.

Similarly that growth in turnover is huge - from less than £5m in 2019 to £6-£7m now - 20 to 40% growth without completing 6 home games last season.

Update on fans returning on 15:34 - Sep 24 with 1653 views49thseason

Update on fans returning on 14:40 - Sep 24 by judd

Thanks. Revenue from who for home passes though? We sold c. 1100 season cards and they all got a free pass, so have a further 1,000 Dale fans subscribed? If so, then great news. I would imagine there was a good take up by Portsmouth fans.

Similarly that growth in turnover is huge - from less than £5m in 2019 to £6-£7m now - 20 to 40% growth without completing 6 home games last season.

Don't forget they have all the revenue from SCs for the first game.
My bet is that they will deny any refunds for these online matches so effectively home SC holders will have paid for their "free" pass. So, 1100 Sc cards at £10 plus 500 at £10 from Portsmouth fans = £15K (ish) without knowing the cost of providing the service to the Football club.

I think the EFL are now going to have to look at the pros and cons of running the 72 clubs and all their fixtures without crowds, clearly without some sort of financial input the whole pyramid could collapse if the lockout goes much beyond New Year.
Update on fans returning on 15:53 - Sep 24 with 1614 viewsjudd

Update on fans returning on 15:34 - Sep 24 by 49thseason

My bet is that they will deny any refunds for these online matches so effectively home SC holders will have paid for their "free" pass. So, 1100 Sc cards at £10 plus 500 at £10 from Portsmouth fans = £15K (ish) without knowing the cost of providing the service to the Football club.

I think the EFL are now going to have to look at the pros and cons of running the 72 clubs and all their fixtures without crowds, clearly without some sort of financial input the whole pyramid could collapse if the lockout goes much beyond New Year.

It's the wording in the interview that is intriguing me. "We made about £15,000" implies it was income/profit (i.e. made) specifically as a result of subscriptions to the service.

Also, the £100,000 expected take v Portsmouth. The last 3 attendances v Portsmouth at Spotland were:

3781, 3796, 3789 = average 3788

Home attendances average for same seasons - 3632, 3574, 3483 = average 3563

When Portsmouth come to town the average attendance increases by 6.3%

It's not unreasonable to assume that home league games generate £100k of "take" there or thereabouts. Or is it?

Update on fans returning on 15:56 - Sep 24 with 1605 viewsD_Alien

Update on fans returning on 15:53 - Sep 24 by judd

It's the wording in the interview that is intriguing me. "We made about £15,000" implies it was income/profit (i.e. made) specifically as a result of subscriptions to the service.

Also, the £100,000 expected take v Portsmouth. The last 3 attendances v Portsmouth at Spotland were:

It's not unreasonable to assume that home league games generate £100k of "take" there or thereabouts. Or is it?

One can see why Tony Pockney was brought in...

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Update on fans returning on 16:07 - Sep 24 with 1560 viewsNigeriamark

Update on fans returning on 14:40 - Sep 24 by judd

I think the number year is because of 3 players sold,2 players delivering sell on revenues, 2 cup runs and plum ties with MUFC & Newcastle, all in 1 year ( unless some of it is deferred to this year. I would imagine once the financials announced it could be the best revenue in our history. As it is also the first year where the board trimmed the operating budget that was there in the last 2 years of CD & KHs tenure, it could be close to our most profitable season ever although I would hazard a guess that a couple of seasons where we also made transfers but had a lower salary cost than last year might pip it

All the revenues ( or lack of them will ) will be in the following years report which unless we do an amazing transfer during this season will probably end up as one of the worst in our history especially for profit. Talk about swings and roundabouts!!!

I think we have been very lucky with the timing of our "bumper" year. If it had happened a year before we may have spent it and if it was this year it may have been too late to pull us out of the Mire. As the board seem to indicate, we have a bit of a nest egg, and IMO I would expect it to be enough to see that we are still somewhere in the black at the end of the season. I bet there's hardly a championship club who will be saying that as well as half of the L1& 2 clubs
Update on fans returning on 16:13 - Sep 24 with 1542 viewsjudd

Update on fans returning on 16:07 - Sep 24 by Nigeriamark

I think the number year is because of 3 players sold,2 players delivering sell on revenues, 2 cup runs and plum ties with MUFC & Newcastle, all in 1 year ( unless some of it is deferred to this year. I would imagine once the financials announced it could be the best revenue in our history. As it is also the first year where the board trimmed the operating budget that was there in the last 2 years of CD & KHs tenure, it could be close to our most profitable season ever although I would hazard a guess that a couple of seasons where we also made transfers but had a lower salary cost than last year might pip it

All the revenues ( or lack of them will ) will be in the following years report which unless we do an amazing transfer during this season will probably end up as one of the worst in our history especially for profit. Talk about swings and roundabouts!!!

I think we have been very lucky with the timing of our "bumper" year. If it had happened a year before we may have spent it and if it was this year it may have been too late to pull us out of the Mire. As the board seem to indicate, we have a bit of a nest egg, and IMO I would expect it to be enough to see that we are still somewhere in the black at the end of the season. I bet there's hardly a championship club who will be saying that as well as half of the L1& 2 clubs

I wouldn't argue with any of that, but it would appear to fly in the face of all that we have been told.

I am not sure how the Dawson money will be accounted for - the actual cash, or half of it, only hit the club this month.

Update on fans returning on 16:17 - Sep 24 with 1533 viewsDaleiLama

Update on fans returning on 16:07 - Sep 24 by Nigeriamark

I wondered what that dream meant - thanks for explaining it Joseph!

Update on fans returning on 16:18 - Sep 24 with 1526 viewsDaleiLama

Update on fans returning on 15:34 - Sep 24 by 49thseason

"without knowing the cost of providing the service to the Football club"

Does the EFL fix that price?

Update on fans returning on 10:39 - Sep 25 with 1195 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Update on fans returning on 15:53 - Sep 24 by judd

Just a thought, you don’t have to commit to anything or owt but a mate of mine called LittleJohnHerFanny is a writer and he’s looking to pitch a new detective series to BSkyB. Sick of all the psychological detective thrillers, he’s looking for a new angle. You know what I’m thinking
don’t you? A detective who deals with crime via accounts and maths and that.
He’ll be a bit like Columbo or that French looking one. He’ll get everybody into a room at the end and with forensic mastery go through each attendees accounts to prove, for example, that the retired Colonel couldn’t afford to go on the Orient Express so it couldn’t have been him. Or, the candlestick had to be auctioned to raise funds for the skint owner of the country manor, so he wasn’t bludgeoned to death with that. Stuff like that. He’ll also have a thick geordie assistant who, for the purpose of the audience, he has to explain VAT to etc.
He obviously won’t play by the rules. He’ll be the scourge of them stuffy tvvats at the Associate of Chartered Accounts. His employers, the filth, will also hate him as well because of his sole focus on accountancy based methods and maths and that. You’ve got 24 hours otherwise I’m taking your calculator...and badge... and I suppose I should take your gun n’all!! - is often the cry from his angry but deep down respectful lutennant. For example, he’ll often march right through a crime scene contaminating evidence, head stuck in a pile of invoices, as per.
But, he gets results.
Just have a think about it... it’ll be cash in hand.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2020 10:54]

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Update on fans returning on 11:05 - Sep 25 with 1138 viewsjudd

Update on fans returning on 10:39 - Sep 25 by BigDaveMyCock

Just a thought, you don’t have to commit to anything or owt but a mate of mine called LittleJohnHerFanny is a writer and he’s looking to pitch a new detective series to BSkyB. Sick of all the psychological detective thrillers, he’s looking for a new angle. You know what I’m thinking
don’t you? A detective who deals with crime via accounts and maths and that.
He’ll be a bit like Columbo or that French looking one. He’ll get everybody into a room at the end and with forensic mastery go through each attendees accounts to prove, for example, that the retired Colonel couldn’t afford to go on the Orient Express so it couldn’t have been him. Or, the candlestick had to be auctioned to raise funds for the skint owner of the country manor, so he wasn’t bludgeoned to death with that. Stuff like that. He’ll also have a thick geordie assistant who, for the purpose of the audience, he has to explain VAT to etc.
He obviously won’t play by the rules. He’ll be the scourge of them stuffy tvvats at the Associate of Chartered Accounts. His employers, the filth, will also hate him as well because of his sole focus on accountancy based methods and maths and that. You’ve got 24 hours otherwise I’m taking your calculator...and badge... and I suppose I should take your gun n’all!! - is often the cry from his angry but deep down respectful lutennant. For example, he’ll often march right through a crime scene contaminating evidence, head stuck in a pile of invoices, as per.
But, he gets results.
Just have a think about it... it’ll be cash in hand.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2020 10:54]

Genius!

You could call him Columnbore.

Or The Bill.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2020 11:08]

Update on fans returning on 11:15 - Sep 25 with 1104 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Update on fans returning on 11:05 - Sep 25 by judd

Genius!

You could call him Columnbore.

Or The Bill.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2020 11:08]

There’s just one last thing before I go...can I have a breakdown of your outgoings over the last 12 months.

Update on fans returning on 11:17 - Sep 25 with 1097 viewsjudd

Update on fans returning on 11:15 - Sep 25 by BigDaveMyCock

There’s just one last thing before I go...can I have a breakdown of your outgoings over the last 12 months.

Yes, I didn't pay for anything.

Update on fans returning on 11:18 - Sep 25 with 1095 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Van Der VAT.

Update on fans returning on 11:20 - Sep 25 with 1084 viewsDaleiLama

Base it in Bury and it could be called "Gone to the Wallander?"

Update on fans returning on 11:24 - Sep 25 with 1067 viewsfitzochris

Nancy overDrew.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Update on fans returning on 11:28 - Sep 25 with 1059 viewsSuddenLad

Tango & Cashless

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Update on fans returning on 11:32 - Sep 25 with 1042 viewsDaleiLama

Shylock Holmes