Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sporting director 15:44 - Feb 17 with 21862 viewsfitzochris

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Sporting director on 17:30 - Feb 19 with 2279 viewsfunkkk

Sporting director on 16:30 - Feb 19 by Dale23years

Players thought they should of won the game, sweet mother jesus.

They are part of the problem if the players think they did a enough to win the game, al least training went brilliantly!!!!!!

Problem is when your gaffer, who’s a really nice guy and seems like he has your best interests at heart, tells you you’re doing well you believe him.
Sporting director on 17:31 - Feb 19 with 2263 viewsShun

Sporting director on 17:05 - Feb 19 by davidab2202

Interesting that 2 of their ideas have come to pass and apparently only a matter of an appointment to make a third a reality.
Has their been some input from our US shareholders, one wonders, not that we are likely to find out one way or the other due to poor communications from the club.
However if they are just "sitting on their hands" and have no involvement that is a concern as the question as to their future intentions is the bit that I don't like

Curious to think which 2 have come to pass? I may be mistaken but I think Tom's point was that, without overtly being involved in the club, all but one (the training ground) of their aims are or have occurred.
Sporting director on 17:32 - Feb 19 with 2262 viewsfunkkk

Sporting director on 16:35 - Feb 19 by TomRAFC

BBM is an enthusiastic guy, we know how he sounds when he's excited about a project. That's not the BBM we see when he talks about the sporting director/David Bottomley's insistence around getting one.

Clearly the interviewer has been told that he should ask him about it and no doubt BBM has been told to stress the importance of it all. It’s all a load of bollocks.
Sporting director on 18:01 - Feb 19 with 2153 viewsalbert_park

Sporting director on 14:25 - Feb 19 by D_Alien

The fanbase has never 'owned' the club, but ownership in the sense of shareholdings is entirely without value without the fanbase

It's still ours, and always will be. These threads are on the case, not least the wonderful contribution from BigKindo today

I added comments on BigKindo's post but the original seems to have disappeared. Any ideas?
Sporting director on 18:02 - Feb 19 with 2149 viewsblackdogblue

Sporting director on 17:26 - Feb 19 by 442Dale

You’ll need someone to oversee the kits.

First one on a pay rise is Jack the Kitman 😀

Errea would get the boot.. sizing for us fat blokes is terrible..

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Sporting director on 18:19 - Feb 19 with 2086 viewsD_Alien

Sporting director on 18:01 - Feb 19 by albert_park

I added comments on BigKindo's post but the original seems to have disappeared. Any ideas?

It's still there?

Can only think you may have accidentally 'hidden' it

Here's a link to it:

Is it Team Rochdale or is it Team Bottomley. by BigKindo 19 Feb 2021 13:43
It gives me great sadness to have to add yet another thread re the parlous state of Rochdale AFC. In recent times, in remaining silent, I have constantly had to bite my bottom lip. Alas enough is enough and my feelings should be laid bare.
I first attended a match at the Dale in 1949 and have been a season ticket holder for many years, perhaps more than I care to remember especially if I added up the cost. Not so much in recent seasons but I have occasionally attended away matches and been warmly greeted by fellow Daleys in hostelries as far away as Barnet, Wycombe, Torquay, Newport, Brentford etc. I have experienced many highs and sadly the many lows coupled with following a poorly supported club. But despite not being born in Rochdale, the Dale have been my team. My defence of the club following snide and sarcastic comments from supporters of other ’bigger’ clubs has honed the sharpness of my retorts. But now the same commentators have turned to express concern and sadness, and question what has gone wrong at Dale..
Unless things change within the upper echelons of the Club I fear that this will be my and my wife’s last season of attending. Ah I hear you mutter. ‘another wanting rid of BBM.’ Well although that may help the situation, but as others have so eloquently written, BBM. might become the sacrificial lamb in an attempt to divert attention away from the serious situation at the club. If BBM departs there will be no changes further up the pecking order.
My feelings are that the wheels started to come off on the appointment of the current C.E.O. Mr David Bottomley. The club is no longer family friendly orientated and Mr Bottomley appears to have ignored the need for customers and appears to take us, well certainly in my case, for granted. What a very strange way to run a business.
On August 21st 2020 I sent Mr Bottomley a polite email requesting the Club’s policy for the forthcoming season re Blue Badge Car Parking pass holders. I sent a reminder email to him on September 17th. 2020. I thereafter received a response from the then Club Secretary. On October 2nd. 2020 I sent a further email to Mr Bottomley, which I felt to be constructive, re the Club’s offer to refund season ticket monies. Again no response. In week ending October 16th. I received a telephone call from another Board Member i.e. the Club’s courtesy call made to those considered vulnerable during the pandemic. The subject of my email was raised, a requested copy was forwarded, and I was assured that the matter would be taken up with the C.E.O. I also understand that similar approaches were made by the Trust on my behalf. To date I have heard nothing from Mr Bottomley. I have not even had the courtesy of an acknowledgment re my last email. What a very odd way to treat any customer either long-standing or new.
Having successfully run my own business for 40 years I certainly know the value of paying loyal customers, and suppliers, and as a Director the need to comply with the various statutory bodies examples being the Information Commissioners Office, Trading Standards Office, P.R.S. Licensing etc. I am extremely interested to know that when the position of C.E.O. became available, and prior to Mr Bottomley’s appointment, was the position advertised, how many applications were received, how many were interviewed and who decided whom was the best candidate? Or, perhaps, as rumours suggest you opted to fulfil the position yourself. There appears to be some disquiet over a previous decision to take away the ‘Club privileges’ from two ex long-serving (suffering?) Directors, privileges which thankfully were later re-instated. But the rumour mill has also thrown up that other ex long-standing Directors are currently banned from the Club. Is this fact or an Apocrypha?
Hopefully the previous paragraph has given Mr Bottomley a platform, an opportunity, to respond and refute these constantly circulating rumours to the benefit of the Club, his own position and the Club’s loyal supporters. Answers are needed and quickly before the situation deteriorates. But will he respond? Previous experience says no and that ignorance is bliss.
And now yesterday’s news that the Chairman had decided to stand down. ‘For personal reasons’ can mean a multitude of things. Hopefully it is not a health issue. I had several occasions to speak with him after matches and I found him to be polite and he always thanked me for attending the match.
So it appears that the question I pose, perhaps, is that Team Rochdale has become Team Bottomley. In the end all Empires sooner or later collapse. The problem is the remaining detritus which has to be garnered up by others in an attempt to restore the norm. This has all makings and content of a Shakespearean Tragedy and however long the situation is spun out the end result will be the same.
Can anybody provide an answer? I certainly know what my solution would be.

But... can't see any comments you've made on that particular thread

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Sporting director on 19:50 - Feb 19 with 1921 views442Dale

Sporting director on 16:55 - Feb 19 by DaleiLama

I used to love listening to KH's interviews at first. He had the cheeky chappie swagger and a grin never far from his face, as he had fun with the interviewer. Then before his departure they deteriorated into a series of barely believable comments and a defensive, confrontational style which left me never wanting to hear another for the rest of my days. For different reasons, BBM's have also got there, without the confrontation aspect. Pass.

“ Our performances recently have been very good and the lads are in very good form, so it’s not a case of me trying to build up any sense of false hope or disguise to the players that they aren’t in great form, because they are.”

Imagine if we hit a run of poor form...

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Sporting director on 19:58 - Feb 19 with 1894 viewsAtThePeake

Sporting director on 19:50 - Feb 19 by 442Dale

“ Our performances recently have been very good and the lads are in very good form, so it’s not a case of me trying to build up any sense of false hope or disguise to the players that they aren’t in great form, because they are.”

Embarrassing. Surely there can't be a single fan, player or board member reading those quotes that actually believes them?

Tangled up in blue.

Login to get fewer ads

Sporting director on 20:00 - Feb 19 with 1887 viewsfitzochris

I’m genuinely perplexed by all of this. I will get behind the team every time it takes to the field but I’m not an idiot. I just don’t know what end this kind of propaganda serves.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2021 22:13]

Sporting director on 20:00 - Feb 19 with 1886 viewsJames1980

Bizarre I'm really confused. Are the players so lacking in self esteem any public criticism and we would be getting beaten even more comprehensively. If we were shown analysis videos of our games and would we all see what Brian can?
Why does the interviewer never challenge these statements? 'Brian, the fans might be a bit confused at your comments about the game against Blackpool. One news outlet said we created little in the second half and Blackpool hung on comfortably'.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Sporting director on 20:06 - Feb 19 with 1858 views442Dale

What fans would want now is a real focus on what position we are actually in. It’s as if we are in lower mid-table and could push on at any time. Is it that hard to say we’re in a relegation battle and for that to be emphasised as the task at hand?

Edit: and yes, James, that could actually be brought into focus if the interview concentrated on the situation we can all see.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2021 20:08]

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Sporting director on 20:07 - Feb 19 with 1851 viewsD_Alien

...on the basis of which, we can expect pretty much the same old same old tomorrow

I've given a few games a miss on iFollow - getting too annoyed to watch - but might give this next one a go just to see what our good form looks like now i know that's what it is...

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Sporting director on 21:21 - Feb 19 with 1686 viewssxdale

Sporting director on 20:06 - Feb 19 by 442Dale

What fans would want now is a real focus on what position we are actually in. It’s as if we are in lower mid-table and could push on at any time. Is it that hard to say we’re in a relegation battle and for that to be emphasised as the task at hand?

Edit: and yes, James, that could actually be brought into focus if the interview concentrated on the situation we can all see.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2021 20:08]

This isn't a relegation battle 86/87 was a relegation battle. This is a relegation capitulation.
Sporting director on 21:52 - Feb 19 with 1600 viewsdavidab2202

Sporting director on 17:31 - Feb 19 by Shun

Curious to think which 2 have come to pass? I may be mistaken but I think Tom's point was that, without overtly being involved in the club, all but one (the training ground) of their aims are or have occurred.

Not noticed a training ground as of yet nor has too much money been used for the playing squad( apart from Humphreys)
Sporting director on 22:08 - Feb 19 with 1574 viewsNewbury_Dale

Sporting director on 20:00 - Feb 19 by fitzochris

I’m genuinely perplexed by all of this. I will get behind the team every time it takes to the field but I’m not an idiot. I just don’t know what end this kind of propaganda serves.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2021 22:13]

Treating the fans with contempt making comments like this.
Sporting director on 22:18 - Feb 19 with 1546 viewsjudd

I think the "good form" comment needs to be explained as an Irish saying in that good form refers to the mood of the squad, good spirits is probably how best it is expressed in English as we know it.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Sporting director on 23:04 - Feb 19 with 1477 viewsfitzochris

Sporting director on 22:18 - Feb 19 by judd

I think the "good form" comment needs to be explained as an Irish saying in that good form refers to the mood of the squad, good spirits is probably how best it is expressed in English as we know it.

He may be referring to that but I’m not so sure. He says similar in the Observer but with additional claims that there was a feeling we should’ve won at Blackpool.

To anyone who watched that game, that’s a bit of an insult.

As I say, we as supporters will back the team regardless, but we don’t need the propaganda. It will only fool a very few and leave the rest feeling a bit insulted.

Sporting director on 23:08 - Feb 19 with 1459 viewsShun

Sporting director on 19:58 - Feb 19 by AtThePeake

Embarrassing. Surely there can't be a single fan, player or board member reading those quotes that actually believes them?

Agreed. Cringeworthy. What’s his reasoning? Is he trying to protect his own job? Or protect the esteem of the players? If it’s the latter I can’t see it working. If I were a Dale player right now and he came out with that I’d feel ridiculously patronised.
Sporting director on 23:12 - Feb 19 with 1451 viewsSuddenLad

If Newby & Humphrys had managed to plant their chances and if we had been given any 1 of 3 decent penalty shouts we could/would have won. If Rathbones' excellent header had been allowed to stand.......etc., etc.

It's very likely that these were the things he was referring to and quite properly, we could have won in those circumstances.

It depends on which way you look at it.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Sporting director on 23:16 - Feb 19 with 1444 viewsfitzochris

Sporting director on 23:12 - Feb 19 by SuddenLad

If Newby & Humphrys had managed to plant their chances and if we had been given any 1 of 3 decent penalty shouts we could/would have won. If Rathbones' excellent header had been allowed to stand.......etc., etc.

It's very likely that these were the things he was referring to and quite properly, we could have won in those circumstances.

If if if if.

It depends on what way you look at it, as do many things, but the general consensus as far as I can see, and happen it matches my own opinion, is that was not a match-winning performance from us.

It’s all ifs and buts.

Or should that be wills and buts?

Sporting director on 23:25 - Feb 19 with 1423 viewsnordenblue

Sporting director on 23:16 - Feb 19 by fitzochris

If if if if.

It depends on what way you look at it, as do many things, but the general consensus as far as I can see, and happen it matches my own opinion, is that was not a match-winning performance from us.

It’s all ifs and buts.

Not sure about Wills and buts...he's full of Bull and Shit
Sporting director on 23:35 - Feb 19 with 1406 viewsRotherhamDale

Sporting director on 20:07 - Feb 19 by D_Alien

...on the basis of which, we can expect pretty much the same old same old tomorrow

I've given a few games a miss on iFollow - getting too annoyed to watch - but might give this next one a go just to see what our good form looks like now i know that's what it is...

Its sent me the other way... I won't be watching even though I've watched the last few.

Possession with progression.

Sporting director on 01:05 - Feb 20 with 1315 viewskel

Oh, ffs. I really like you BBM but Jesus wept, that’s a ridiculous thing to say. If we don’t concede by quarter past three I’ll be absolutely staggered.
Sporting director on 06:31 - Feb 20 with 1204 viewsJames1980

Sporting director on 23:16 - Feb 19 by fitzochris

If if if if.

It’s all ifs and buts.

Wills and Buts is that like Mills and Boon but they publish horror stories about football?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Sporting director on 07:30 - Feb 20 with 1176 viewsmightydale

Sporting director on 23:12 - Feb 19 by SuddenLad

If if if if Blackpool moved out of First gear it would of been a different game I bet..

If if if if only we had a forward on loan from United

Poll: How many season tickets will we sell for next season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024