Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
12 Months... 19:29 - May 6 with 2045 viewsblackdogblue

Was posting on the MK Dons Boycott thread and started to agree with Suddenlad about loosing a bit of love with going to the games and was going off a tangent but thought it might be worth another thread...

When you look back at the 2019/20 season which was canned due to Covid & finished on PPG metric, with what would have been left to play, would we have survived then?

Memories fade and I’m sure some statistics may prove either way but I don’t recall us setting the league on fire or playing football which was exciting or entertaining then either...

All ifs, buts & maybe’s.... was the inevitable delayed by 12 months and if we had survived by 1 point or RIP BFC, would changes have been made / demanded then??

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

12 Months... on 19:38 - May 6 with 1999 viewsncfc_chalky

Who thinks that agreeing terms with Henderson would have kept Dale up?

Poll: Will you purchase any shares?...

12 Months... on 20:06 - May 6 with 1930 viewsEllDale

We’d actually started to play quite well as Covid lockdown hit in March 2020.
We’d just beaten Shrewsbury and Rotherham at home and had a decent run-in.
So I think we’d have stayed up comfortably. There were two basket cases already in the bottom four in Bolton and Southend.
As for Hendo, we’ll be arguing about the manner of departure and the significance of it for years to come.
12 Months... on 20:17 - May 6 with 1917 viewsBeechball

12 Months... on 19:38 - May 6 by ncfc_chalky

Given that we took the fight to the penultimate game of the season and Henderson's total for Salford I'd say yes he probably would have made the difference.
12 Months... on 20:32 - May 6 with 1860 views442Dale

12 Months... on 20:06 - May 6 by EllDale

So I think we’d have stayed up comfortably. There were two basket cases already in the bottom four in Bolton and Southend.
As for Hendo, we’ll be arguing about the manner of departure and the significance of it for years to come.

The manner is certainly up for debate, the impact on our season less so. We haven’t struggled for goals and our issue has been style of play, tactics and use of players. Not the players themselves.

Henderson also had a spell between September and January where he scored once in a Salford side that has had much better results than us this season.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

12 Months... on 20:35 - May 6 with 1853 viewsChaffRAFC

12 Months... on 20:17 - May 6 by Beechball

Given that we took the fight to the penultimate game of the season and Henderson's total for Salford I'd say yes he probably would have made the difference.

If we'd kept Henderson we wouldn't have been able to sign Humphrys and probably Beesley as well given the pair of them cost in excess of £150,000.

Ian Henderson - 45 games/17 goals - League Two

Stephen Humphrys - 28 games/10 goals
Jake Beesley - 26 game/6 goals
Combined - 54 games/16 goals - League One

Also, Humphrys (if by some miracle does stay) is 23 years old, Jake Beesley is 24 while Henderson is 36.

While I'm gutted that Henderson left, I don't think we'd have fared any better had he stayed and we'd not signed Humphrys and Beesley.

The key thing is that again, Henderson has stayed injury free all season and has played in every game for Salford. Had we got 3 or 4 more games out of Humphrys or Beesley we may have seen a very different end to our season.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

12 Months... on 20:35 - May 6 with 1853 viewsblackdogblue

12 Months... on 19:38 - May 6 by ncfc_chalky

Actually I don’t... paying him a high wage, we will never know how much... did that stop us getting replacements, Lund, Humphreys etc,etc.. not talking transfer fees but wage bill here..

Ps. Did you get a ticket mate?

12 Months... on 20:41 - May 6 with 1833 viewsTVOS1907

12 Months... on 20:17 - May 6 by Beechball

But that total was in League 2.

As has been pointed out many times, we had a 4-4 draw, four 3-3 draws and a 3-4 defeat this season.

Nineteen goals scored across five matches there, with only five points picked up. Even with Henderson in the side, we'd have still been leaking like a sieve at the other end.

We also had 1-4 defeats to Peterborough, Gillingham and MK Dons in the same winter period, as well as the big wins at Plymouth and Wigan when plenty of other players were finding the back of the net.

Of course, Henderson may have chipped in with a crucial goal in some of those frustrating scoreless games in Feb/Mar, but we hardly created anything in them, so even that's not for certain.

Chalky's question is actually one that we'll never be able to answer either way, but I would probably say "No", as our defensive game is what really cost us and is something that was never really addressed.
[Post edited 6 May 2021 20:43]

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

12 Months... on 20:51 - May 6 with 1801 viewsblackdogblue

A point I think we are missing.. without Covid & secret squirrel deals...

There was no “extensions” at the time, if we would have continued as we were, would BBM still be with us & would we have been calling for BotBot out?..

Should alarm bells have been ringing or were we all distracted & just happy we stayed up?

Login to get fewer ads

12 Months... on 20:54 - May 6 with 1786 views49thseason

Ifs and buts.. my view is that we should have made better use of the January window. David Wheater after he fell out wih Oldham and a plan B left back would have got us over the line. Wheater would still be an excellent signing for L2 for a couple of seasons if only for the inevitable aerial football we will need to be able to play.
12 Months... on 20:56 - May 6 with 1772 viewsD_Alien

12 Months... on 20:06 - May 6 by EllDale

"As for Hendo, we’ll be arguing about the manner of departure and the significance of it for years to come"

I sincerely hope not. Perhaps we could debate whether Steve Parkin leaving for Barnsley in 2001 meant we didn't get promoted for another nine years instead?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

12 Months... on 21:54 - May 6 with 1666 viewsEllDale

To my mind the fact that Parkin took Gary Jones with him was a bigger factor in our not getting promotion in 2001/02.
12 Months... on 22:56 - May 6 with 1538 viewsboromat

I think if we'd changed to the 3 at the back earlier in the season maybe in December when we had the high scoring draws that would have had a much more significant impact on our season than keeping Hendo.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

12 Months... on 23:49 - May 6 with 1469 viewsDorkingDale

Me!
12 Months... on 23:51 - May 6 with 1467 viewsDorkingDale

The Board made a huge mistake in getting into a stupid "my dick is bigger than yours" scrap with Hendo & his agent. It was stupid....
12 Months... on 00:06 - May 7 with 1456 viewsJames1980

12 Months... on 23:51 - May 6 by DorkingDale

The Board made a huge mistake in getting into a stupid "my dick is bigger than yours" scrap with Hendo & his agent. It was stupid....

Agents'

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

12 Months... on 10:30 - May 7 with 1167 viewsncfc_chalky

12 Months... on 20:35 - May 6 by blackdogblue

Actually I don’t... paying him a high wage, we will never know how much... did that stop us getting replacements, Lund, Humphreys etc,etc.. not talking transfer fees but wage bill here..

Ps. Did you get a ticket mate?

Yes I did bdb,a very reasonable £10 but unfortunately it was one per person so I couldn't get you one

Poll: Will you purchase any shares?...

12 Months... on 10:59 - May 7 with 1114 viewsDaleiLama

12 Months... on 10:30 - May 7 by ncfc_chalky

Yes I did bdb,a very reasonable £10 but unfortunately it was one per person so I couldn't get you one

You should've volunteered for a Covid vaccine-trial Chalky. They pay you more than a tenner and the side-effects are much less severe

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

12 Months... on 14:31 - May 7 with 911 viewsblackdogblue

12 Months... on 10:30 - May 7 by ncfc_chalky

No probs, thanks for thought though.

Maybe the allocation might be higher for the conference play off final.

Whoops.. sorry I forgot where u were in the league

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024