Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Olly Rath 14:38 - Jul 27 with 19789 viewsDale92

Pete o'Rourke stating weve turned down a bid from Rotherham

This is the One, I've waited for

Olly Rath on 15:17 - Aug 4 with 2426 viewsTVOS1907

Olly Rath on 15:14 - Aug 4 by boromat

The initial fee normally leaks at some point anyway for those interested.

But it's not official.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Olly Rath on 15:27 - Aug 4 with 2373 viewsSuddenLad

Olly Rath on 14:57 - Aug 4 by Brierls

Like Tom, 49th & TVOS, I don't see why undisclosed fees are such a bugbear for some. It is the norm for Football clubs (most, if not all) not to disclose fees and they have their reasons for that, which are undoubtedly more valid than 'John from Rochdale' needing to satisfy his own curiosity.

You don't see as much negativity when we're signing players for an undisclosed fee.

I think the main reason is that supporters want to know that the club have sold the player for a fee that represents the players 'value' although inevitably the supporters ideas of a 'value' will probably far exceed that of the buying club and in many cases will be unrealistic.

Every player has a price and every club has a trigger point at which selling is the only realistic option.

As others have pointed out, in this day and age, the deals are very often so complex with the additions and clauses that announcing 'undisclosed' is better than misinterpreting the initial headline figure and enraging fans who don't grasp the complexities.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Olly Rath on 15:56 - Aug 4 with 2273 viewsDaley_Lama

Olly Rath on 14:39 - Aug 4 by 49thseason

Undisclosed fee is probably an attempt to not let the world know we have a few quid and therefore can pay more towards loans and actual transfers. If it makes any real difference I have no idea. But there is no harm in letting the world think we are skint if we are or we are not.

When this subject was addresses once by the club, this was the reason given at the time - clubs might up their transfer prices if they know we have money.

Given that we don’t exactly have a longstanding history of buying players for a fee this makes that point erm, pointless.

I don’t believe most other EFL clubs adopt this policy and i don’t believe most clubs request this when dealing with RAFC. I do believe It is RAFC who insist on it de-facto.

My personal opinion is that it is done to protect the club from fan backlash “we should have got more for him” criticism. If you believe you have got the best deal on a transfer then this should not be required either.

Hey-ho, like Mrs Brown’s Boys, some cannot fathom why people dislike it while others would rather have their eyelids sewn together than watch.

Plus la difference

Poll: DF in or out

Olly Rath on 16:37 - Aug 4 with 2133 viewsDaleiLama

Nice tribute this. 5 years 183 appearances.

Never stopped til he dropped, inspirational team-mate and some decent goals over the years. Thanks for the memories Ollie and good luck for the future.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Olly Rath on 16:46 - Aug 4 with 2080 viewsTVOS1907

Olly Rath on 15:56 - Aug 4 by Daley_Lama

When this subject was addresses once by the club, this was the reason given at the time - clubs might up their transfer prices if they know we have money.

Given that we don’t exactly have a longstanding history of buying players for a fee this makes that point erm, pointless.

I don’t believe most other EFL clubs adopt this policy and i don’t believe most clubs request this when dealing with RAFC. I do believe It is RAFC who insist on it de-facto.

My personal opinion is that it is done to protect the club from fan backlash “we should have got more for him” criticism. If you believe you have got the best deal on a transfer then this should not be required either.

Hey-ho, like Mrs Brown’s Boys, some cannot fathom why people dislike it while others would rather have their eyelids sewn together than watch.

Plus la difference

You'll struggle to find many transfers in the past 10 years that aren't given as "undisclosed", whether they involve Dale or don't.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Olly Rath on 17:34 - Aug 4 with 1921 viewsBigKindo

BBC Sports Transfer 'Done deals' stating it is a free transfer 😯
Olly Rath on 17:46 - Aug 4 with 1852 viewsJames1980

Olly Rath on 17:34 - Aug 4 by BigKindo

BBC Sports Transfer 'Done deals' stating it is a free transfer 😯

I expect this might be raised at the forum.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Olly Rath on 18:00 - Aug 4 with 1782 viewsD_Alien

Olly Rath on 14:57 - Aug 4 by Brierls

Like Tom, 49th & TVOS, I don't see why undisclosed fees are such a bugbear for some. It is the norm for Football clubs (most, if not all) not to disclose fees and they have their reasons for that, which are undoubtedly more valid than 'John from Rochdale' needing to satisfy his own curiosity.

You don't see as much negativity when we're signing players for an undisclosed fee.

They're not a bugbear (whatever that may be)

It'd just be more interesting (as i've already said) if we knew the details, even if its just the amount minus add-ons

It really was more interesting when the fee was disclosed, it was a whole topic about the game we love in its own right. Anything that takes away from that is a negative

Its not as if other clubs won't know how much the deal has brought into our coffers, or at least a ballpark figure

And if John thinks its a positive, he's right

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Login to get fewer ads

Olly Rath on 18:16 - Aug 4 with 1689 views49thseason

Olly Rath on 15:56 - Aug 4 by Daley_Lama

Plus la difference

We paid fees for Humphrys and Beesley, we also contribute to wages for loanees. All these require a negotiation of some sort, so not being known for being flush seems to me to be a better place to start a negotiation than having the world know your finances are better than OK.
Olly Rath on 18:16 - Aug 4 with 1691 viewsBrierls

Olly Rath on 18:00 - Aug 4 by D_Alien

They're not a bugbear (whatever that may be)

It'd just be more interesting (as i've already said) if we knew the details, even if its just the amount minus add-ons

It really was more interesting when the fee was disclosed, it was a whole topic about the game we love in its own right. Anything that takes away from that is a negative

Its not as if other clubs won't know how much the deal has brought into our coffers, or at least a ballpark figure

And if John thinks its a positive, he's right

Bugbear - https://www.dictionary.com/browse/bugbear

Origin unknown, but you can make something up if you want.
Olly Rath on 18:35 - Aug 4 with 1597 viewskel

A game that always sticks out in my mind is a home win over Walsall (4-0 I think) in which Ollie was on another planet to the other players on the pitch. Thought he was ace from that moment and have loved watching him play since. Good luck, Ollie, me and my kids will miss you.

Four nil edit
[Post edited 4 Aug 2021 18:37]
Olly Rath on 19:08 - Aug 4 with 1492 viewsD_Alien

Olly Rath on 18:16 - Aug 4 by Brierls

Bugbear - https://www.dictionary.com/browse/bugbear

Origin unknown, but you can make something up if you want.

Yeah, i knew what it meant, i just wondered if you did

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Olly Rath on 11:07 - Aug 5 with 1113 viewstony_roch975

just seen his very fulsome goodbye tweet on the club's twitter feed - a class act, all the best Ollie

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024