Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly 11:34 - Jul 13 with 16901 viewsHullDale

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 00:12 - Jul 17 with 3409 viewsAtThePeake

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 23:38 - Jul 16 by D_Alien

But we're not talking about the "performance" (if we were, i'd be agreeing with you wholeheartedly) - we're talking about the way the team(s) are being set up to play

[Post edited 16 Jul 2023 23:38]

But I'm not sure that's all that relevant either. As you've said a few times this off-season, it's results Jim will be judged on.

We've seen with Stockdale and Bentley that it isn't just "BBMball" that's unsuccessful at this level of football - bad managers and bad players will not win many games regardless of playing style, so there's obviously more to it than just a certain style of play. I know Notts County have a lot more resource than ourselves but they've just earned 100 points in the National League playing a heavily possession-based style.

If Jim is winning us competitive games, then surely the way the team are being set up isn't going to matter?

Tangled up in blue.

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 00:41 - Jul 17 with 3381 viewsD_Alien

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 00:12 - Jul 17 by AtThePeake

But I'm not sure that's all that relevant either. As you've said a few times this off-season, it's results Jim will be judged on.

We've seen with Stockdale and Bentley that it isn't just "BBMball" that's unsuccessful at this level of football - bad managers and bad players will not win many games regardless of playing style, so there's obviously more to it than just a certain style of play. I know Notts County have a lot more resource than ourselves but they've just earned 100 points in the National League playing a heavily possession-based style.

If Jim is winning us competitive games, then surely the way the team are being set up isn't going to matter?

That's fair, but i was responding to the "performance" point (it's also why i rarely go to watch pre-season games)

BJ has just under 3 weeks to produce a coherent unit, willing to fight tooth and nail for the club, starting in the morning with a cold, hard look at what the players will buy into

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 06:41 - Jul 17 with 3253 viewsDale_4_Life

Isolate 90 minutes on Saturday as that was dreadful. We have 3 weeks to improve as that performance in the NL gets thumped week in week out.

Big Jim got a tune at the end of last season (of sorts) mixing it up more playing a little more direct. We need an identity but Saturday heaven forbid is not it.

It fills me with dread when the keeper plays it short to a Dale defender who looks clumsy, awkward and nervous and the opposition forwards closing down like a swarm of bees it can only result in one thing. Its not clever and its terrible to watch.

Keep it simple get Rodney up top down the middle and play the football in the opposition half not our own. More Crosses and more shots on target. That would be a half decent identity.
Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 08:39 - Jul 17 with 3139 viewsDaleFan7

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 06:41 - Jul 17 by Dale_4_Life

Isolate 90 minutes on Saturday as that was dreadful. We have 3 weeks to improve as that performance in the NL gets thumped week in week out.

Big Jim got a tune at the end of last season (of sorts) mixing it up more playing a little more direct. We need an identity but Saturday heaven forbid is not it.

It fills me with dread when the keeper plays it short to a Dale defender who looks clumsy, awkward and nervous and the opposition forwards closing down like a swarm of bees it can only result in one thing. Its not clever and its terrible to watch.

Keep it simple get Rodney up top down the middle and play the football in the opposition half not our own. More Crosses and more shots on target. That would be a half decent identity.

He didn't score but from the limited crosses we got into their box on Saturday, Mitchell got his head to them. If we can do that consistently then he can be a weapon with more match practice. We just didn't do it enough.
Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 11:34 - Jul 17 with 2881 views49thseason

My original point about increasing the number of crosses into the box was based on last seasons stats that indicated we had about 300 and our opponents had around 900. Equally we also need to win more midfield battles. Yes there will be teams who are well organised at the back and perhaps more able to deal with crosses but everyone makes mistakes under pressure, we have to create that pressure.

Crosses create uncertainty and uncertainty leads to mistakes and ends up with the ball in the net, if no one made mistakes they wouldn't concede goals. Henderson will score goals but he needs someone to force errors by defenders inside the penalty area. Mitchell seems like a big enough unit, time will tell i he has the aggression. As others have mentioned we really do need another striker / target man or two
Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 15:01 - Jul 17 with 2574 viewsChaffRAFC

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 00:12 - Jul 17 by AtThePeake

We spent the whole of the late 90's and 00's saying Barrow was the worst manager ever for his style and now some seem to wanna spend all of the 2020's wanting to go back to it!

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 16:08 - Jul 17 with 2436 viewsD_Alien

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 15:01 - Jul 17 by ChaffRAFC

We spent the whole of the late 90's and 00's saying Barrow was the worst manager ever for his style and now some seem to wanna spend all of the 2020's wanting to go back to it!

No they don't. I haven't seen anyone advocating hoof-ball, which absolutely isn't the same as looking to pick a long pass to a forward making an intelligent run. The perfect example would be Ethan Brierley's ball into Hendo for his record-breaking goal - but obviously you'd need someone with that vision. The key here is that forwards will stop making runs if they know the ball isn't going to arrive, which is what happens with the possession-based ethos

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 17:15 - Jul 17 with 2305 viewsAtThePeake

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 16:08 - Jul 17 by D_Alien

No they don't. I haven't seen anyone advocating hoof-ball, which absolutely isn't the same as looking to pick a long pass to a forward making an intelligent run. The perfect example would be Ethan Brierley's ball into Hendo for his record-breaking goal - but obviously you'd need someone with that vision. The key here is that forwards will stop making runs if they know the ball isn't going to arrive, which is what happens with the possession-based ethos

A long pass to a forward making an intelligent run like the one Ebanks-Landell made to Oscar Kelly to set up Sinclair for our first goal at Radcliffe last week?

Tangled up in blue.

Login to get fewer ads

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 17:28 - Jul 17 with 2240 viewsjudd

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 17:15 - Jul 17 by AtThePeake

A long pass to a forward making an intelligent run like the one Ebanks-Landell made to Oscar Kelly to set up Sinclair for our first goal at Radcliffe last week?

Hendo scored the first.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 17:36 - Jul 17 with 2222 viewsAtThePeake

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 17:28 - Jul 17 by judd

Hendo scored the first.

Second, sorry.

The first one came from us winning the ball quite high up the pitch, something we have been absolutely terrible at for at least four seasons now under Stockdale, Bentley and BBM.

Tangled up in blue.

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 17:40 - Jul 17 with 2215 viewssamueloneils

When you consider how long it is since we had someone who really leads the forward line- Beesley briefly, Humphreys briefly but noone otherwise for a few seasons who you could say gives the opponents defenders a hard time. I don`t mean just physically-Size isn`t everything, but so many opposition strikers in the last couple of seasons are trying to outwit us by movement or pieces of skill. We haven`t had that.
Or even an O`Grady type who can hold up the ball out of defence.

We need 2 strikers.

Rodney and Mitchell may be OK, but I don`t think they will worry defences too much- (Only going on Mitchell`s record). It`s our lack of goalscoring that have killed us the last 2 seasons.

The defence and midfield look pretty sound to me with the new recruits.
Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 17:41 - Jul 17 with 2206 viewsjudd

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 17:36 - Jul 17 by AtThePeake

Second, sorry.

The first one came from us winning the ball quite high up the pitch, something we have been absolutely terrible at for at least four seasons now under Stockdale, Bentley and BBM.

You're welcome.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 17:52 - Jul 17 with 2183 viewsAtThePeake

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 17:40 - Jul 17 by samueloneils

When you consider how long it is since we had someone who really leads the forward line- Beesley briefly, Humphreys briefly but noone otherwise for a few seasons who you could say gives the opponents defenders a hard time. I don`t mean just physically-Size isn`t everything, but so many opposition strikers in the last couple of seasons are trying to outwit us by movement or pieces of skill. We haven`t had that.
Or even an O`Grady type who can hold up the ball out of defence.

We need 2 strikers.

Rodney and Mitchell may be OK, but I don`t think they will worry defences too much- (Only going on Mitchell`s record). It`s our lack of goalscoring that have killed us the last 2 seasons.

The defence and midfield look pretty sound to me with the new recruits.

It isn't just a lack of goalscoring that's killed us the last 2 seasons. We scored 46 goals last season - Tranmere finished in the top half while scoring fewer goals than us.

We conceded 70 however - and no team managed to concede as many as 70 goals and finish any higher than 22nd.

There have been absolutely loads of issues, but goalscoring isn't even the most pertinent one.

Tangled up in blue.

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 18:00 - Jul 17 with 2155 viewsAtThePeake

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 17:41 - Jul 17 by judd

You're welcome.

Tangled up in blue.

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 18:21 - Jul 17 with 2089 views442Dale

There’s definitely some things being lost in translation between what’s happening on the pitch and also what supporters want.

If we’re playing football in dangerous areas that leads to the opposition getting chances and goals then it’s not what either the team or fans should want. If we’re hoofing it forward aimlessly then it’s not what either the team or fans should want.

Simplistically, you’d hope the team want to pass the ball and do it at the right time. It’s been said before, the best Keith Hill teams did that and while football has changed, a version of that can still be successful.

McNulty has just said on the radio that we need to be equipped to play different styles, so that’s fair enough. We now need to see it.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 18:46 - Jul 17 with 2021 viewsD_Alien

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 17:15 - Jul 17 by AtThePeake

That's great, more please

Still not sure why anyone thinks there's advocates for BarrowBall

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 18:58 - Jul 17 with 1970 views442Dale

Would recommend listening to the GMR interview when it appears online. It’s as informative as any interview I’ve heard from a Dale manager, perhaps any representative of the club.

He mentioned having empathy and understanding of fans. A fine attitude.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 19:01 - Jul 17 with 1948 viewsNewbury_Dale

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 18:58 - Jul 17 by 442Dale

Would recommend listening to the GMR interview when it appears online. It’s as informative as any interview I’ve heard from a Dale manager, perhaps any representative of the club.

He mentioned having empathy and understanding of fans. A fine attitude.

Agree with that. Jim comes across so well, hope he gets the success he deserves.
Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 13:19 - Jul 18 with 1448 viewskrafty80

One word I haven't seen mentioned too often with regard to the style of play debate is confidence. I think Dale's win ratio, particularly at home, over the past five seasons or so was among the worst in the top four tiers, so is it surprising the idea of knocking it around at the back -- or indeed anywhere on the pitch -- looks to be nerve wracking as hell for the players? I am not sure that clubs have a DNA per se, but even if the playing squad changes, the pressure of being generally unsuccessful for several years on the spin must weigh heavy. This might also explain why the players are so reticent to attack teams.

All of which means that we as fans, like it or not, are going to have to try our best to keep backing the team even if, as I suspect will happen, we lose a couple of goals through our own errors in the first few games. A dream scenario for me is not that we start the new campaign flying and scoring hatfuls, but rather that we grind out a couple of results, winning by almost any means necessary. Especially at home, because we won't get far as a club until we find a way to win at Spotland more often than we have in the post-Hilly era.

Being more direct might be part of the answer to getting a few of those ugly wins -- but I'm with those worried about some kind of John Beck style reincarnated when the whole ethos and approach to football has changed beyond recognition. We don't need a target man in my opinion (when have we had one? Andy Morris in the 90s? COG in 2010? Vincenti on the wing?), but maybe we do need to hope the raw youngsters we've brought in like Shubbar are less afraid than their predecessors to run at teams and have a dip from distance when the opportunity arises. This point was made by the lads on the podcast and it's very relevant. A 1-0 win over Ebbsfleet via a 30 yard punt that takes two deflections on the way in? I'll take that right now. UTD.
Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 22:08 - Jul 18 with 1220 viewsBeast6666

Oldham just beat Chorley 6-1. Only pre season but maybe that shows what a difficult season lies ahead
Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 23:22 - Jul 18 with 1125 views49thseason

We have had decent pre-seasons only for it all go to rats as soon as it got real.
I dont place too much emphasis on it being a predictor of future form, style or anything else really, its about getting yards into legs and some appreciation of how the players will develop into small units on the field. Everyone is learning, players, Coach , Board, everyone.
Until we see the next set of accounts we will not really know what the future holds, maybe there will be news of an investor, maybe not, all we can do is our best and see where it takes us. But if we fall apart into acrimony and anger, we will be lost long before the season ends. Unity is strength and we need it now more than ever. Our players simply need to apply themselves for 95 minutes every week, we need blood sweat and inevitably tears, not name calling and despair. Let's all just accept the new realities and roll our sleeves up and stride along doing our best. If we stick together... who knows where it will take us. Money talks, attitude wins... A bit of luck helps too.
Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 23:46 - Jul 18 with 1108 viewsAtThePeake

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 22:08 - Jul 18 by Beast6666

Oldham just beat Chorley 6-1. Only pre season but maybe that shows what a difficult season lies ahead

It really doesn't.

Tangled up in blue.

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 05:45 - Jul 19 with 1029 viewskel

Chorley (A) Match Thread - Pre-Season Friendly on 22:08 - Jul 18 by Beast6666

Aye, I remember that season we won every game handsomely after beating Radcliffe 9-0 under Alan Buckley.

Glory days.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024