Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bags of football 22:11 - Nov 29 with 3228 viewsleicesterdale

Managed to notch up another ground last night at Vicarage Lane, Watford V Norwich City.

Bitterly cold, so took a back pack with the usual flask/sarnies/blanket/personal effects, but at the turnstile was told I couldn't enter the ground with a bag larger than A4 size. Backpack had to be deposited at another site in the ground, with a limited post match window in which to collect it. Flask of tea was not permitted to be carried into the ground.

Has anyone else had such an experience? Am I to be grateful for such inspired security, or has the football world got too big for it's boots (and bags)?
Bags of football on 07:25 - Nov 30 with 3115 viewsRodingdale

Football fans have been subjected to unnecessary rules and poor treatment for decades. We accept being searched, not being trusted with bottle lids etc as normal, when really we should be pushing back via fan groups. Fans are just a cross section of the public and should be treated the same as the public in general. Grounds have improved massively since the Taylor report but the attitude of the Police and Stewards hasn’t changed much. The approach doesn’t work either, pyros, drugs etc still find their way in. Better stewarding in grounds would identify the minority who do misbehave, we had a good example of that at Dagenham on Saturday, when a shall we say ‘over excited’ Dagenham fan was identified and spoken to by stewards.
Bags of football on 10:27 - Nov 30 with 3009 viewspioneer

My brother in law is aseason ticket holder at Man City…Ive been to plenty of games with him….last time was fulham home game last season. He takes a flask of coffee every game and is never stopped. (just as well because I seem to remember in a football survey a year or two ago City had the dearest cup of tea in professional football)

Think it comes down to individual clubs.
Bags of football on 10:54 - Nov 30 with 2949 viewsRooleyMoorBlue

I remember years ago going to Scarborough and with it being during winter, a certain lady supporter was denied entry. I would say she was in her mid 60's at the time and she was carrying an umbrella. The steward at the turnstile said she couldn't take it in, as it could be used as a weapon.
Obviously a number of us were taken aback, considering there was segregation and the only people she could attack would be her fellow supporters. He refused to back down and she had to collect her umbrella at the end of the game.
Fortunately it wasn't needed, but on a ground with no cover for the away fans, it was a ridiculous way to treat a visiting supporter.
Bags of football on 11:25 - Nov 30 with 2895 viewsChaffRAFC

This is fairly common place in football now.

Our work do packages for quite a few football clubs in the Premier League, all of which have a bag policy now. Liverpool for example is very similar in that it has to be no bigger than A4. We have to advise all customers of the following:

No Bags are permitted in the stadium and there are no bag storage facilities available. Small bags (A4 paper size or smaller, as these fit neatly under the stadium seats) carrying hygiene products and/or medicines, or club shop bags carrying purchases from the retail store, are the only exception. Those bags permitted will be subjected to a bag search on entry point.

Lime Street railway station in the City Centre has Left Luggage facilities.

Manchester United have a very similar policy and someone I took to the game a couple of years ago had to pay to check their bag in at one of the bag drop areas at Old Trafford.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Bags of football on 11:45 - Nov 30 with 2830 viewswindowsbug2002

I've stopped going to games because of this.
I was sick and tired of being the one that got searched when my wife just walked in. If you complain you are "being racist"
I dont need the hassle so I just walked away from the club I watched home and away for over 30 years. I found something else to do on Saturdays and don't miss the football.
My wife who has been watching the Dale longer than me has also stopped going due to her no longer enjoying the experience due to the dickheads in the Sandy.

[Post edited 30 Nov 2023 11:49]
Bags of football on 12:21 - Nov 30 with 2766 viewskel

Bags of football on 11:45 - Nov 30 by windowsbug2002

I've stopped going to games because of this.
I was sick and tired of being the one that got searched when my wife just walked in. If you complain you are "being racist"
I dont need the hassle so I just walked away from the club I watched home and away for over 30 years. I found something else to do on Saturdays and don't miss the football.
My wife who has been watching the Dale longer than me has also stopped going due to her no longer enjoying the experience due to the dickheads in the Sandy.

[Post edited 30 Nov 2023 11:49]

Yeah, we gathered that after the first ten times you posted it.
Bags of football on 13:15 - Nov 30 with 2664 viewsleicesterdale

Interesting responses, thank you.

I must confess to have been really irritated by my experience at Vicarage Lane, as I felt the policy was:

Unnecessary: what evidence is there demonstrating retention of bags will make for a more secure stadium?
Inconsistent: I saw other people in the stadium with larger bags than my own.
User Unfriendly: Hassle having to deposit a bag elsewhere and retain it within a small window of time.
Suggestive of alternative agenda: Increase sales from food outlets?

However: I think I just have to accept it as it appears it is the way football it going.

I do miss the days when I'd have a picnic on the Spion Cop at Spotland......
Bags of football on 14:36 - Nov 30 with 2579 viewsRooleyMoorBlue

I would like the club to refrain from franchising the food outlets at Spotland as the prices are criminally high for the standard of food available. Back in the day when all visitors claimed our pies were the best they had ever tasted, you could see what they contained. The last one I had was very poor and I couldn't tell what was in it either by taste or sight.
If a takeover happens then I would be delighted if they brought everything in house. I used to buy a couple of pies at the chippy and put one in each pocket, with no baggage I never got searched and enjoyed the food, with the knowledge that I knew what I was eating, saving £4 on two pies.
It's not that I can't afford the franchise prices, it's more to do with having to pay more for far less quality products.
Login to get fewer ads

Bags of football on 16:31 - Nov 30 with 2473 viewsWirralDale

Bags of football on 14:36 - Nov 30 by RooleyMoorBlue

I would like the club to refrain from franchising the food outlets at Spotland as the prices are criminally high for the standard of food available. Back in the day when all visitors claimed our pies were the best they had ever tasted, you could see what they contained. The last one I had was very poor and I couldn't tell what was in it either by taste or sight.
If a takeover happens then I would be delighted if they brought everything in house. I used to buy a couple of pies at the chippy and put one in each pocket, with no baggage I never got searched and enjoyed the food, with the knowledge that I knew what I was eating, saving £4 on two pies.
It's not that I can't afford the franchise prices, it's more to do with having to pay more for far less quality products.

Agreed - the pies have been disappointing over the past few years, sadly.
Bags of football on 18:02 - Nov 30 with 2354 viewsDale_4_Life

When Dale have 2200 regular home fans the process should be simple.

Against Aldershot (with a limited following) a young girl maybe 8 or 9 years old with her mum had her bag searched FFS this beggars belief.

The bloke in front of me had his bottle of water taken off him.

Just relax all the entrance protocol and monitor and punish the idiots properly with severe sanctions.

Sadly the people skills of most of the stewards is limited and they are obviously given draconian instruction to follow. Its a mess that needs sorting.
Bags of football on 18:06 - Nov 30 with 2347 viewswindowsbug2002

Bags of football on 13:15 - Nov 30 by leicesterdale

Interesting responses, thank you.

I must confess to have been really irritated by my experience at Vicarage Lane, as I felt the policy was:

Unnecessary: what evidence is there demonstrating retention of bags will make for a more secure stadium?
Inconsistent: I saw other people in the stadium with larger bags than my own.
User Unfriendly: Hassle having to deposit a bag elsewhere and retain it within a small window of time.
Suggestive of alternative agenda: Increase sales from food outlets?

However: I think I just have to accept it as it appears it is the way football it going.

I do miss the days when I'd have a picnic on the Spion Cop at Spotland......

Don't accept it as part of going to football.
Just don't go..... simples.
Bags of football on 18:19 - Nov 30 with 2335 viewsDale_4_Life

Bags of football on 18:06 - Nov 30 by windowsbug2002

Don't accept it as part of going to football.
Just don't go..... simples.

Windowsbug..

I feel your pain and hope its sorted.

If it improved would you come back?.
Bags of football on 21:04 - Nov 30 with 2235 viewsPlattyswrinklynuts

Bags of football on 18:02 - Nov 30 by Dale_4_Life

When Dale have 2200 regular home fans the process should be simple.

Against Aldershot (with a limited following) a young girl maybe 8 or 9 years old with her mum had her bag searched FFS this beggars belief.

The bloke in front of me had his bottle of water taken off him.

Just relax all the entrance protocol and monitor and punish the idiots properly with severe sanctions.

Sadly the people skills of most of the stewards is limited and they are obviously given draconian instruction to follow. Its a mess that needs sorting.

“People skills” aka…
Fookin useless
Unapproachable
Dogmatic.
Give a barely trained person on minimum wages a badge/walkie talkie/semblance of authority, sit back & watch the carnage.
EDIT
God help us if over 6k fans turn out on Boxing Day & some of the issues previously mentioned on here aren’t addressed by then, could be a very messy experience trying to get in on the day (& I’m betting now that less than 300 fylde fans turn up)…
[Post edited 30 Nov 2023 21:12]
Bags of football on 22:09 - Nov 30 with 2170 viewsEllDale

Bags of football on 16:31 - Nov 30 by WirralDale

Agreed - the pies have been disappointing over the past few years, sadly.

At the Aldershot game I went to the kiosk on the Sandy and asked for steak pie and peas.
I was given a meat and potato pie and gravy. I said “that isn’t mine” and repeated my order.
I was then given another meat and potato pie and gravy.
I looked at the lad who just shook his head.
I ended up taking it but won’t be going there again in a hurry.
[Post edited 30 Nov 2023 22:10]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024