Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. 20:42 - Apr 24 with 105036 viewsDale57

What things and places have a special place in your Rochdale childhood.........
Some of mine are
Brights nursery on whitwoth rd
Heybrook school
Howarth cross
Football and sports against other schools around Rochdale
Rochdale baths
ABC cinema
Holingworth lake
Fair on cattle market (now cop shop)
Ashy valley flats
Loads more.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 22:59 - Nov 30 with 4609 viewswroughtironron

Working for a few months in the Inland Revenue (boo) in an old cotton mill at the bottom of John Street at the junction with Entwistle Road - I used to go across John St at 10am to get fried egg/bacon sarnies from a grubby terraced newsagents shop which cooked them on a gas ring on the counter. Stefan Kiszko was at the same mill pushing a trolley round collecting mail.
The Yelloway Garage behind Smith Street and the "opposition" Ellen Smiths, on Yorkshire Street. The yellow skylights in Yelloway coaches used to make me feel travel sick.
Putting a penny in the slot at the model train shop on Cheetham Street to see the train go round.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 23:08 - Nov 30 with 4602 viewsSuddenLad

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 22:59 - Nov 30 by wroughtironron

Working for a few months in the Inland Revenue (boo) in an old cotton mill at the bottom of John Street at the junction with Entwistle Road - I used to go across John St at 10am to get fried egg/bacon sarnies from a grubby terraced newsagents shop which cooked them on a gas ring on the counter. Stefan Kiszko was at the same mill pushing a trolley round collecting mail.
The Yelloway Garage behind Smith Street and the "opposition" Ellen Smiths, on Yorkshire Street. The yellow skylights in Yelloway coaches used to make me feel travel sick.
Putting a penny in the slot at the model train shop on Cheetham Street to see the train go round.

Lonsdale House

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 07:55 - Dec 1 with 4496 viewsEllDale

The Inland Revenue had moved to Newgate House by the time I worked with them but Stefan was still around.
Does anyone remember the UCP tripe shop at the bottom of Drake Street? It's been a fish and chip shop for years now. They had a restaurant upstairs where my mum used to take me if I'd been good - so I didn't visit too often!!
I remember when the Gas and Electric Boards both had showroom as well, the latter in Electric House which was a fine building.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 09:03 - Dec 1 with 4471 viewsmingthemerciless

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 07:55 - Dec 1 by EllDale

The Inland Revenue had moved to Newgate House by the time I worked with them but Stefan was still around.
Does anyone remember the UCP tripe shop at the bottom of Drake Street? It's been a fish and chip shop for years now. They had a restaurant upstairs where my mum used to take me if I'd been good - so I didn't visit too often!!
I remember when the Gas and Electric Boards both had showroom as well, the latter in Electric House which was a fine building.

Yep I remember the tripe shop, you went up a very steep staircase to get to the restaurant. Later on there was a TV shop either in the those premises or next door. We used to drop off the bus outside the shop on Saturday afternoons when we'd been playing at Firgrove. The TV's were all tuned to " Grandstand " so we'd watch the scores coming in on the old ticker tape.

The " Gas Showrooms " we're on Drake St just further up than the Champness Hall. The " Electric Showrooms " were roughly were that new bus station is now. You could get the buses for Hornets from outside. The buses for The ' Dale left from in front of the Memorial Gardens.

Anybody on here go to " The Masque " or " The Medici " coffee bars ?

The same gang of us were walking down from " The Masque " one night, we'd just gone past the old library steps when the same lad who nicked the football decided he wanted a pee. So he opened his raincoat, whipped his penis out and starting peeing. He'd only been peeing for about 5 seconds when two coppers came around the corner from where the new Police Station is now. They were walking straight towards us. My mate obviously couldn't stop in midstream so he just fastened his raincoat !

The pee was running off the bottom of his raincoat as we carried on walking. We were dieing to burst out laughing but we daren't. When the coppers got up to us they didn't say a thing but you could tell from the grins on their faces they knew exactly what was going on.
[Post edited 1 Dec 2017 9:04]
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 12:52 - Dec 1 with 4407 viewsEllDale

That bus stop at the bottom of Drake Street was where I used to buy the Pink and Green Finals every Saturday night.
I think that Clive Harvey's shop was further round the corner heading towards the Robin Hood but I never bought anything there. I think that he also had a branch in the market Arcade.
Talking of the Sports House, that was along established business. I think that it lost a lot of trade when Trevor Butterworth opened his shop on Yorkshire Street opposite the junction of Cheetham Street. That became the hip place to go although I suppose it was more expensive.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 13:44 - Dec 1 with 4377 viewsmingthemerciless

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 12:52 - Dec 1 by EllDale

That bus stop at the bottom of Drake Street was where I used to buy the Pink and Green Finals every Saturday night.
I think that Clive Harvey's shop was further round the corner heading towards the Robin Hood but I never bought anything there. I think that he also had a branch in the market Arcade.
Talking of the Sports House, that was along established business. I think that it lost a lot of trade when Trevor Butterworth opened his shop on Yorkshire Street opposite the junction of Cheetham Street. That became the hip place to go although I suppose it was more expensive.

Trevor Butterworth's first shop was on Cheetham St roughly on the opposite side to where that fancy cake shop and ladies gym is now. I remember getting my first ever pair of training shoes from there. They were those pale blue " Adidas " ones I think they still sell today, " Rom " ? This was in the summer of 1966.They were made in West Germany then and top quality.
He moved the shop to Yorkshire St when they decided to build the dual carriageway and the shop was scheduled for demolition.

We'd been training on Lenny Barn one night that summer and afterwards we went into " The Victoria " for a pint shandy. I'd keep the trainers on because I couldn't be bothered putting my street shoes on. When I walked in the pub it was like one of those scenes out of a Western, everybody turned around to look at me. It was like I had two heads ! Just because I was wearing these blue shoes.

It's funny how attitudes change. Everybody wears trainers with jeans these days.Then if you wore a pale pink shirt with your suit and tie you could expect trouble.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 14:15 - Dec 1 with 4346 viewsjudd

The Florida chippy in Sudden.

First chippy I ever saw sell baked beans.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 14:30 - Dec 1 with 4347 viewsdeeplishblue

As a young boy I remember a cafe in the indoor market that had a mynah bird. Does anyone remember that?

Poll: Do you want bury to get promoted?

Login to get fewer ads

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 14:58 - Dec 1 with 4319 viewsjudd

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 14:30 - Dec 1 by deeplishblue

As a young boy I remember a cafe in the indoor market that had a mynah bird. Does anyone remember that?

No, but I remember an ex MP who almost did.

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 20:39 - Dec 1 with 4259 viewsfitzochris

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 14:58 - Dec 1 by judd

No, but I remember an ex MP who almost did.

Arthur Scargill?

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 20:50 - Dec 1 with 4251 viewssoulboy

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 22:11 - Nov 30 by AlexF

lots going on here tonight, not even sure why i typed that and thanks, great comments. I often meet Villa fans and tell them i attended a leaguematch where we beat villa 1-0 whitehead penalty, they always laugh at me. sorry for daft error.

Probably one of the most one sided matches ever! Villa, a massive club in div 3 came to Spotland with a team full of household names at the time, Andy Lochead, Chico Hamilton, Jimmy Cumbes, Ray Graydon, Bruce Ricoh, George Curtis. Don't think we went into their penalty box till about 15 mins from full time when a harmless cross was handled by Curtis (i think) and Reg blasted home the spot kick in front of the Sandy. The season before it ended 1 1 and Villa fans must have outnumbered us by about 4 to 1!
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:14 - Dec 1 with 4206 viewsD_Alien

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 20:50 - Dec 1 by soulboy

Probably one of the most one sided matches ever! Villa, a massive club in div 3 came to Spotland with a team full of household names at the time, Andy Lochead, Chico Hamilton, Jimmy Cumbes, Ray Graydon, Bruce Ricoh, George Curtis. Don't think we went into their penalty box till about 15 mins from full time when a harmless cross was handled by Curtis (i think) and Reg blasted home the spot kick in front of the Sandy. The season before it ended 1 1 and Villa fans must have outnumbered us by about 4 to 1!

The penalty by Whitehead was neatly placed just inside the post (main stand side)

Don't think Reg was on the pitch, otherwise he'd have taken it

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:24 - Dec 1 with 4186 viewssoulboy

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:14 - Dec 1 by D_Alien

The penalty by Whitehead was neatly placed just inside the post (main stand side)

Don't think Reg was on the pitch, otherwise he'd have taken it

Ok, i just assumed Reg took the penalty, it was definitely a game that wont be forgotten by Dale fans who were lucky enough be there.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:36 - Dec 1 with 4171 viewsD_Alien

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:24 - Dec 1 by soulboy

Ok, i just assumed Reg took the penalty, it was definitely a game that wont be forgotten by Dale fans who were lucky enough be there.

Absolutely, the main feature being the best goalkeeping display I've ever seen at Spotland by Tony Godfrey as Villa battered us for 95% of the game

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:57 - Dec 1 with 4150 viewsmingthemerciless

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:36 - Dec 1 by D_Alien

Absolutely, the main feature being the best goalkeeping display I've ever seen at Spotland by Tony Godfrey as Villa battered us for 95% of the game

I went to the 1-1 game but I don't recall going to the 1-0 win. If Godfrey played out if his skin I would have remembered that. I must have been playing myself that day.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 08:09 - Dec 6 with 3915 viewshammerdale

I believe Totty Lemon only had one ear. He also had a reputation for , sh****ng cats
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 10:24 - Dec 6 with 3853 viewsmingthemerciless

I think you're right about the ear. There was also that poor guy who was on the council s--t tub emptying team that had no nose. Somebody mentioned the coal delivery guy that only wore a leather waistcoat and trousers all year round. He delivered coal to my parents house, I think he had some sort of health issue that caused him to dress like that. He died quite young I believe.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 13:10 - Dec 6 with 3802 viewsPeaky

A certain well known maths teacher off here on countdown (TVOS wink wink)
Keith hill sticking his sweaty finger in one of the lads mouths when we scored away at Torquay on an awesome weekend with the egp crew (don’t stop peaky baby oh your left foot drives me crazy)
Playing cricket on the beach in Torquay and an old dale fan wandering down with a cricket hat on to umpire.
Jimmy cricket and his falling through the stretcher antics.
The indoor cricket centre - shawclough
Nemesis, xanados, bojangles, chocolate, pacific, nile, litten tree, pzaz, liquid rock
The iron waters (syke res)
Sacred heart (Sunday football)
The falcon and wheatchief - little borough
The iron rams in the middle of town
The barrow era (bed sheet gate).
Travelling to darlo in a car boot to watch the replay before the Liverpool game
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 13:15 - Dec 6 with 3797 views100notout

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 14:15 - Dec 1 by judd

The Florida chippy in Sudden.

First chippy I ever saw sell baked beans.

was that the one that used to be beside the Windmill?

That was the first time i'd ever seen fritters on the menu - and lovely they were too!

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 13:30 - Dec 6 with 3788 viewsjudd

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 13:15 - Dec 6 by 100notout

was that the one that used to be beside the Windmill?

That was the first time i'd ever seen fritters on the menu - and lovely they were too!

It was

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 15:52 - Dec 6 with 3764 viewschalkyncfc

A tripe shop with a restaurant?
The mind boggles,I've only ever seen (even as a young lad ) tripe being sold on a small tray in a butchers shop,I've got to ask a stupid question, why was it called a tripe shop,was that the main thing that it sold? And a restaurant there as well,are you sure that it wasn't just a greasy cafe?
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 16:17 - Dec 6 with 3747 viewsmingthemerciless

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 15:52 - Dec 6 by chalkyncfc

A tripe shop with a restaurant?
The mind boggles,I've only ever seen (even as a young lad ) tripe being sold on a small tray in a butchers shop,I've got to ask a stupid question, why was it called a tripe shop,was that the main thing that it sold? And a restaurant there as well,are you sure that it wasn't just a greasy cafe?

It was a tripe shop downstairs and a tripe restaurant upstairs as I recall. Various sorts of tripe, elder, cow heel, pigs trotters. We knew how to live Oop North in them days lad.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 17:54 - Dec 6 with 3723 viewspioneer

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 16:17 - Dec 6 by mingthemerciless

It was a tripe shop downstairs and a tripe restaurant upstairs as I recall. Various sorts of tripe, elder, cow heel, pigs trotters. We knew how to live Oop North in them days lad.

There was tripe on the field in them days too!

My mother used to make the world's best steak and cowheel pie - gravy to die for.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 17:57 - Dec 6 with 3723 viewschalkyncfc

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 16:17 - Dec 6 by mingthemerciless

A tripe restaurant? I'm being to suspect that you are having me on
Pigs trotters,who the chuff would sell or buy them in a restaurant, I mean I can understand somebody eating them in the war when you had practically nothing to eat but you wouldn't order them if steak was on the menu would you,who on here has eaten a pigs trotter (just the thought is making me nauseous tbf) I've never even seen one for sale never mind had one with me chips
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 17:59 - Dec 6 with 3720 viewsEllDale

It was called the UCP shop.

Stood for United Cattle Products.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024