Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. 20:42 - Apr 24 with 105238 viewsDale57

What things and places have a special place in your Rochdale childhood.........
Some of mine are
Brights nursery on whitwoth rd
Heybrook school
Howarth cross
Football and sports against other schools around Rochdale
Rochdale baths
ABC cinema
Holingworth lake
Fair on cattle market (now cop shop)
Ashy valley flats
Loads more.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 23:20 - Apr 24 with 10141 viewsdingdangblue

St Vincents friday night youth club
Oulder Hill Summer play scheme
St Wilfreds
Junior Dale
The ABC Cinema
Roller City
Playing football till it went dark in Denehurst park/Meanwood field
The indoor cricketer

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 23:24 - Apr 24 with 10131 viewsroccydaleian

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:44 - Apr 24 by chuckleberry

Save Records
Our Price
The subway into the bus station
Madisons and subsequently Bar101; coke was the same price as a pint...
The cafe in the swimming baths

Good Call their Chuckle's
Save Records
Cafe swimming baths, fantastic beans on toast,
Broadfield Upper School,
The Chip Inn,
Merry Weaver pub,
Braces' night club.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 23:25 - Apr 24 with 10131 viewsDale57

Does anyone remember Graydons Potatoes off whitworth rd,i helped there when i was a kid and was truly besotted with his daughter.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 23:26 - Apr 24 with 10126 viewsSuddenLad

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 22:45 - Apr 24 by Clivert

The Hill at Spotland (can we name it Keith Hill now?)

The roundabout with a Church in the middle of it(rather than saying the junction at the bottom of Whitworth Road).

Hornets not playing at Spotland.

2 hospitals.

Edit Yorkshire st sheep already mentioned.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Black pea man was Arthur White
Fish bits
Morris's Hardware shop, Toad Lane
Dukes
Chambers
Broadwater Youth Club
Lonsdale House
Lamplighter
Walmsley Club
Sparthfield Clinic
Krazy Kuts
Talbot Pub, John Street
Jolly Waggoner (Funnies)
MacFisheries
Clive Harveys in the Arcade (Sea Dog jeans and Grandad shirts)

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 23:32 - Apr 24 with 10120 viewsDale57

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 23:26 - Apr 24 by SuddenLad

Black pea man was Arthur White
Fish bits
Morris's Hardware shop, Toad Lane
Dukes
Chambers
Broadwater Youth Club
Lonsdale House
Lamplighter
Walmsley Club
Sparthfield Clinic
Krazy Kuts
Talbot Pub, John Street
Jolly Waggoner (Funnies)
MacFisheries
Clive Harveys in the Arcade (Sea Dog jeans and Grandad shirts)

Lonsdale house ha ha i remember going in there with my mam when i was a nipper,from what i remember it always had the feeling of a cold communist institute.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 23:34 - Apr 24 with 10118 viewsDale57

Watching my father playing for Mayfield on the tips,the pitch was covered with cinders.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 23:37 - Apr 24 with 10116 viewsDale57

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 23:34 - Apr 24 by Dale57

Watching my father playing for Mayfield on the tips,the pitch was covered with cinders.

On the topic of rugby,my father knew all the fijian's and they was regular visitors to our house and i remember one called Revoovoo or something like that and his humongous hands.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 23:57 - Apr 24 with 10106 viewsroccydaleian

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 23:25 - Apr 24 by Dale57

Does anyone remember Graydons Potatoes off whitworth rd,i helped there when i was a kid and was truly besotted with his daughter.

Don't know how old you are Dale57 (possibly 57?) But my two older brothers attended Heybrook and Howarth Cross, don't know if you remember them. They are called Andy and Peter Wright. I also went to Howarth Cross but nine years after my brothers.BRING BACK THE CANE.
Login to get fewer ads

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 00:01 - Apr 25 with 10099 viewsDaley_Lama

Bruce Springsteen.

Poll: DF in or out

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 00:01 - Apr 25 with 10097 viewsDale57

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 23:57 - Apr 24 by roccydaleian

Don't know how old you are Dale57 (possibly 57?) But my two older brothers attended Heybrook and Howarth Cross, don't know if you remember them. They are called Andy and Peter Wright. I also went to Howarth Cross but nine years after my brothers.BRING BACK THE CANE.

I din't know any Andy or Peter Wright but i knew a Susan Wright.I was at Heybrook from 62 till around 68 and then onto Howarth Cross
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 00:02 - Apr 25 with 10096 viewsoff2div1

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 20:58 - Apr 24 by mikehunt

Black Pea Man
Sammy Cole in clogs and the siege of his house.
Food fight at Newbold Infants' School that made it on to national news
Sunken Gardens
Fountain with goldfish partway up the steps to St Chads
The stocks at St Chads
Duckpond opposite where the art gallery is.
Robinson's Common
Big Tit Lou (sigh)

I used to go to the Tech & fell in said fountain messing about in lunch,also we used to go around inside market to peep at the lady with a gold bangle on her ankle it was said to be a sign of a lady of the night.
Another thing we used to do in same market is call a local Gay names, he was 6ft 6 & built like a brick sh*thouse and he would chase us (I think his name was Arthur Norman)
We used to run after the bus in town & jump on it when lights were on red but sometimes ended up running 1/2 way up Drake street if lights changed.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 00:04 - Apr 25 with 10091 viewsDale57

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 23:57 - Apr 24 by roccydaleian

I had a few slippers off Mr Shephard the PE teacher and his wife was lovely,lol
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 00:17 - Apr 25 with 10076 viewsroccydaleian

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 00:04 - Apr 25 by Dale57

I had a few slippers off Mr Shephard the PE teacher and his wife was lovely,lol

Shephard's before my time, but not Jack Kershaw. Got one of each, for fighting off him.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 00:27 - Apr 25 with 10071 viewsDale57

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 00:17 - Apr 25 by roccydaleian

Shephard's before my time, but not Jack Kershaw. Got one of each, for fighting off him.

Never had a brush with Mr Kershaw but i remember him well.I just cant remember the name of the woodwork teacher at HC but in 1995 i contacted someone to do some joinery work for us and it turned out to be him,lol........Ah Mr Barrett i think it was.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 00:34 - Apr 25 with 10067 viewsjoecooke

Bradleys records
Record stall in the indoor market(coloured vinyl and picture disks)!
Arcade half way up Yorkshire st(free credits with strimmer wire)
Trying to get down the steps behind the town hall on your bike.
Arcade at Hollingworth Lake-thinking i had just been to the seaside

Watching the old fella play football and looking after the goalies dog who was tied to the goalpost.
Rochdale college discos aged 9 in 1977!

Poll: How much would you care if bury fc went out of existence

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 00:38 - Apr 25 with 10017 viewsDale57

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 00:34 - Apr 25 by joecooke

Bradleys records
Record stall in the indoor market(coloured vinyl and picture disks)!
Arcade half way up Yorkshire st(free credits with strimmer wire)
Trying to get down the steps behind the town hall on your bike.
Arcade at Hollingworth Lake-thinking i had just been to the seaside

Watching the old fella play football and looking after the goalies dog who was tied to the goalpost.
Rochdale college discos aged 9 in 1977!

"Arcade at Hollingworth Lake-thinking i had just been to the seaside " Ha ha i know what you mean.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 01:03 - Apr 25 with 10009 viewswindowsbug

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:00 - Apr 24 by 442Dale

The sheep are still there.

Great call on the Little Gem buses, when they first started running the reaction amongst the locals of Norden was akin to Biff and co seeing Marty McFly on a hoverboard.

From various eras:
Football at Lenny Barn
Madison's
Norden CC's steaming grass pile
Oulder Hill red-gra
The old Ratcliffe Arms

I used to play in that grass pile..
When my dad played for Norden in the 70's
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 01:16 - Apr 25 with 10001 viewsThreeLions

Saturday afternoons spent in the cinema in town just to throw your pick and mix from woolies about the place (time bombs were best).

Spending most dinnertimes in the Dog and Partridge on bury rd and lanky lass on edenfield rd whilst in fifth year at Oulder Hill.

Route 66.

Yelloways coaches to blackpool with grandparents in school holidays.

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 02:55 - Apr 25 with 9995 viewsdownunder

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 23:37 - Apr 24 by Dale57

On the topic of rugby,my father knew all the fijian's and they was regular visitors to our house and i remember one called Revoovoo or something like that and his humongous hands.

That would probably be Laitia Ravouvou( or Joe Levulu. Unfortunately, Joe let acohol get the better of him, and was a mess, the last time I saw him). Met a few of them during my time playing at Rochdalians RUFC. All gents and good fun.
My favourite memories of Rochdale
The circus coming via train to Rochdale.
Stoneyfields
The Yew Tree train carriage.
Bradleys records.
Beating Coventry in the cup.
Under age drinking in the Roebuck
Baldy School 6th form pub crawl team.
Town Taxis
Tiffs
Rugby at Rakewood.
Swimming Baths
Birch hill Maternity for the birth of my children.
Rugby at Kirkholt
Craven Hiefer
Wellfield WMC
Over the Edge Charity bike ride.
Beating Coventry in the FA Cup
Not regretting leaving Rochdale behind, despite the memories.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 03:14 - Apr 25 with 9994 viewsjoecooke

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 22:45 - Apr 24 by Clivert

The Hill at Spotland (can we name it Keith Hill now?)

The roundabout with a Church in the middle of it(rather than saying the junction at the bottom of Whitworth Road).

Hornets not playing at Spotland.

2 hospitals.

Edit Yorkshire st sheep already mentioned.

The sweet shop at Sudden,owned by metal mickey ,the metalwork teacher at matthew moss.

Poll: How much would you care if bury fc went out of existence

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 08:45 - Apr 25 with 9959 viewsSuddenLad

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 23:37 - Apr 24 by Dale57

Laitia Ravouvou
Voate Drui
Joe Levula
Mike Ratu (and son)
Apisai Toga

There may have been another known as 'Big Ben' but I don't remember much about him apart from his size.

All Fijians who came to Hornets in the mid-1960's. Fantastic to watch, especially Toga and Ravouvou. Massive forwards who were fearless and powerful. They were used to playing in bare feet until they arrived here but had to adapt to wearing boots to play professionally.

Toga and his brother also had careers in Australian RL but Apisai died in the early 1970's. If I remember rightly, he died from tetanus after cutting his foot on some coral whilst swimming.

I used to watch the Hairnets regularly then. I still have all their autographs somewhere. Happy days.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 09:16 - Apr 25 with 9956 viewsdebbiesfella

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:30 - Apr 24 by BigKindo

The old cobbled Toad Lane. How Rochdale could do with that now instead of the featureless market.
The boozers on Blackwater Street.
Mary Fish selling boiled sweets whilst walking the perimeter of the pitch at Spotland.
Sam Smiths Mild at a shilling a pint.
The Palace cinema on Gt. George St. where they had double seats on the back row and usherettes who constantly flashed their torches at you whilst shouting 'Stop doing that!
Two piece suits at Weaver to Wearer for £ 2 10s. 0d.

Only remember the Duke of Wellington on Blackwater Street, are you getting confused with Lord Street?
Also remember "Davenports Beer At Home"
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 09:34 - Apr 25 with 9949 viewsBigKindo

You were confused when you got to the Duke after calling in at The Old Clock Face, Billy Luff's, The Red Lion and The White Horse on Lord St., plus The Market Tavern on Toad Lane, the only boozer in Dale without a gents toilet. You had to nip across the Lane into the outside market loos. What about Dale's first Chinese on Lord St. with the newsagents next door?
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 09:46 - Apr 25 with 9941 viewsBigKindo

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 00:02 - Apr 25 by off2div1

I used to go to the Tech & fell in said fountain messing about in lunch,also we used to go around inside market to peep at the lady with a gold bangle on her ankle it was said to be a sign of a lady of the night.
Another thing we used to do in same market is call a local Gay names, he was 6ft 6 & built like a brick sh*thouse and he would chase us (I think his name was Arthur Norman)
We used to run after the bus in town & jump on it when lights were on red but sometimes ended up running 1/2 way up Drake street if lights changed.

His brother George Norman was ring spinning overlooker at Courtaulds Arrow Mill Castleton when I worked there in the early 1960's. Arthur was well known in Cass for his preferences and best avoided.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 10:11 - Apr 25 with 9926 viewsdingdangblue

Playing 'Track and Field' arcade game in Oulder Hill baths cafe.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024