Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just got back 18:44 - Sep 26 with 7234 viewsSaxonDale

We weren't at our best today with too many players having off days and Millwall on the balance of play deserved their win. The first goal was an awful one to concede and Lillis needs to hold his hands up, you can't afford to make a mistake when passing it 20 yards out from your goal and his ball to Allen was really poor (especially considering an easier and much safer pass to Cannon had been on for about 5 seconds prior) I also thought he should have done better with the shot, it sounds harsh but if you get a hand to a shot then more often than not it shouldn't go in and Lillis seemed to get a full palm to it. Rochdale then continued to dominate possession but didn't really look like doing much with it (largely due to having it in negative areas) but the goal was very well worked. Bunney got a lot of stick from those behind me and is always destined to fail in some eyes but I thought he was OK first half and he got the assist for the goal. We were then guilty of complacency and conceded a sloppy goal, with their number 6 (who was a very good player) scoring with a good finish. Second half we started very positively and had a lot of possession in their final third but seemed to lack any cutting edge and we struggled to carve out any real chances. Millwall's third goal came on the counter with Dale arguably being drawing too many players forward and it was an excellent finish by Morrison, who for me is in the mould of Garner, Beckford etc as a really good league 1 striker but won't be winning any popularity competitions amongst opposition fans. After that the game turned into a bit of a dead rubber with Millwall keeping us at arms length and we struggled really to create any chances. One side note- Millwall's ball boys (one in particular in front of the left stand) were a disgrace. I can tolerate and understand them slowing down play when the home side are winning however walking up to a rolling ball, letting it go through your legs and then kicking the ball away when Cannon was about to kick it up were really cheap tactics.

As for Rochdale my views from the game were:

The fullbacks (especially Kennedy) need to improve their final balls into the box, too often Millwall crowded the middle space in the final third, gifting room for both fullbacks but I can't really think of any crosses that threatened Millwall in the second half.

Lillis- It's been said before but unfortunately he really is the weak link in our team. For a keeper I think his form is too reliant of his confidence. The first goal was a really poor one to concede and although he made a very good save in the second half ultimately as a keeper you are judged on your mistakes.

I thought the distribution from the back four was poor, taking too long on the ball meaning by the time they released it everyone in front of them was picked up by Millwall.

Going forward I think for one reason or another at the moment we are just a bit short. Henderson failed to impact on the game and the subs failed to properly get into the match. Alessandra looks a very good footballer but needs to work on his finishing in the final third.

My ratings for what they are worth-

Lillis-5
Kennedy-6
Lancashire-6
McNulty-6
Cannon-6
Lund-7
Allen-7
Vincenti-7
Henderson-6
Bunney-6

Andrew-6
Just got back on 18:52 - Sep 26 with 5628 views1mark1

Thanks for that. Is it a decent stadium to visit, view, refreshments, drink before hand etc?

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Just got back on 18:59 - Sep 26 with 5585 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Thanks Saxon.......sounds like we still have the hang-over from last week, poor distribution and farting around at the back giving the opposition all the time they need to cover our attackers........and then personal errors putting ourselves on the back foot.

Oh and bury are above us now.
Just got back on 19:02 - Sep 26 with 5562 views442Dale

Cheers for the report.

Obviously not sure if he played there, but Henderson at centre forward just hasn't worked this season.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Just got back on 19:32 - Sep 26 with 5455 viewsKenBoon

On the Train back. I thought too many of our players were bullied out of the game. Millwall aren't a very good team but worth their win. Lillis bad mistake for the first but a mistake doesn't make you a weak link,especially when your firm is good and he made some good saves afterwards.

My first time at The Den and tbh I hatedit. There's something wrong when away fans need to be given their own path to the train station. I didn't speak to a Millwall fan until I was trying to get on a train with them.
Just got back on 19:37 - Sep 26 with 5434 viewsSaxonDale

Just got back on 19:32 - Sep 26 by KenBoon

On the Train back. I thought too many of our players were bullied out of the game. Millwall aren't a very good team but worth their win. Lillis bad mistake for the first but a mistake doesn't make you a weak link,especially when your firm is good and he made some good saves afterwards.

My first time at The Den and tbh I hatedit. There's something wrong when away fans need to be given their own path to the train station. I didn't speak to a Millwall fan until I was trying to get on a train with them.

I agree Lillis' form has been good but by all accounts his distribution was poor last week and he continued that way in the first stages of the game today.
Just got back on 19:45 - Sep 26 with 5402 viewsChaffRAFC

Just got back on 19:02 - Sep 26 by 442Dale

Cheers for the report.

Obviously not sure if he played there, but Henderson at centre forward just hasn't worked this season.

Currently on the way back up North and there's a few bits I disagree with from the OP.

The first goal was an absolute catalogue of errors. Lillis set ball rolling with his awful distribution and that put the pressure on but skip to when the ball was coming into the box and Olly Lancashire wasn't even in the same post code to his marker who had all the time in the world to compose himself and finish. Lancashire just seemed oblivious. Lillis should have done better though with the shot as well.

We got back into the game and Allen was starting to dictate the tempo of the game. Cannon was superb first half but arguably lucky to stay on the pitch.

Then the equaliser came and was fully deserved.

Then we just fell asleep again at the back. The ball gets played into the box and Kennedy just has to stand him up but no, he launches himself into a tackle, their lad dinks it past him and smashes it in. Really really poor defending. All completely downhill from there just before half time.

Joe Bunney had a poor first half and was carted off at half time for Calvin. Bunney was often getting the ball out wide as we were ready to work the ball into the box but time and again he was out-fought and lost the ball. Simply nowhere near good enough. I wonder if Hill's patience has finally expired.

We started the second half well and looked like getting back into the game before another defensive balls up left their lad with a one on one with Josh and there was only one outcome. Think it broke from Kennedy's side again. I'm a big fan of TK but he was absolutely woeful.

We looked ok going forward in patces but defensively it was a horror show. Eastham has to come back in for me next to McNulty.

Rose was anonymous on his return and him and Lund in the midde didn't work. Jamie Allen was easily our standout player and only really he and Cannon came out with any credit.

Our away form is a concern, it's really poor and we don't seem to be able to find a way of breaking sides down away. Blackpool the obvious exception but surely there has to be a place in the side for Alessandra.

Awful place, awful game, can't wait to get home to bloody bed! London's a sh1thole, I want to go home!

Lillis - 5
Cannon -7
Lancashire - 5
McNulty - 6
Kennedy - 4
Rose - 5
Allen - 7
Lund - 6
Vincenti - 6
Bunney - 5
Henderson - 6

This post has been edited by an administrator

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Just got back on 19:50 - Sep 26 with 5369 viewsSaxonDale

Good point about Lancashire and the first goal. Forgot Rose in my player ratings- 6.
Just got back on 20:01 - Sep 26 with 5323 viewsmikehunt

Up to the third goal we were the better footballing side. We gifted them possession for their first two goals. Faffing around at the back sums it up perfectly.
What did us was their pressing game. They did it so tenaciously we were constantly back-pedalling or being forced into errors. We were also totally ineffective up front. Despite being the better footballers we never looked likely to score. We have to be careful here. Any opposition managers viewing this game will know how to set up to have us in their pockets.
And the kit? Why wear black when they were predominantly navy? Would have thought the yellow strip a better option.
Finally, fair play to the ref. He wasn't fooled by any of their diving shenanigans and wasn't swayed by the crowd. His only error was not booking one of theirs for a comically blatant dive in our box.
Match just fizzled out I hope our season doesn't follow behind it.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Login to get fewer ads

Just got back on 21:43 - Sep 26 with 5106 views442Dale

Just got back on 20:01 - Sep 26 by mikehunt

Up to the third goal we were the better footballing side. We gifted them possession for their first two goals. Faffing around at the back sums it up perfectly.
What did us was their pressing game. They did it so tenaciously we were constantly back-pedalling or being forced into errors. We were also totally ineffective up front. Despite being the better footballers we never looked likely to score. We have to be careful here. Any opposition managers viewing this game will know how to set up to have us in their pockets.
And the kit? Why wear black when they were predominantly navy? Would have thought the yellow strip a better option.
Finally, fair play to the ref. He wasn't fooled by any of their diving shenanigans and wasn't swayed by the crowd. His only error was not booking one of theirs for a comically blatant dive in our box.

We wore white shirts though and haven't got a yellow strip, that was Fila. Must admit I'm not a fan of swathes of white on both team's kits, it's distracting.

We will need a third shirt at some point. Maybe at Bury unless we wear blue/black/black?

Just got back on 22:25 - Sep 26 with 4986 viewsRosun

What about that fox on the way back to the train station? How tame was that bugger?
Oh, and Rose looks like he's pulling a caravan.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2015 22:30]
Just got back on 22:44 - Sep 26 with 4926 viewsKenBoon

Just got back on 22:25 - Sep 26 by Rosun

What about that fox on the way back to the train station? How tame was that bugger?

That Fox was the highlight.

From my seat, with my terrible eyes, their Blue looked Black.
Just got back on 22:55 - Sep 26 with 4895 viewsTVOS1907

Just got back on 22:25 - Sep 26 by Rosun

Good call on the fox. Forgot about that.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Just got back on 23:05 - Sep 26 with 4880 viewsmacro

Both full backs were getting tied in knots and struggled particularly in the first half, unfortunately defensively too many mistakes and IMO Rose was a yard of the pace.

Felt a bit for bunny being subbed but he was probably too lightweight against a physical defence. Key moment probably was the goal on the brink of half-time, going in level it might have been different. Wouldn’t be surprised to see two or three changes on Tuesday
Just got back on 23:06 - Sep 26 with 4875 viewsRosun

Just got back on 22:55 - Sep 26 by TVOS1907

Good call on the fox. Forgot about that.

Fox in the box.
Instead we've got a Bunney in a slight predicament.
Fair play to Millwall. Nice, genuine fans. A bit of a plastic atmosphere inside the ground, organised chanting, tannoy man more annoying than Sweetmore. Top stewards. Typical nazi metropolitan police zero tolerance approach.
I did see a lot man bags from their fans though. I prefer a rucksack, or a placcy bag.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2015 23:09]
Just got back on 14:46 - Sep 27 with 4266 viewsrafc1984

Can anyone tell me how many Daleys travelled to Millwall yesterday?
Just got back on 15:18 - Sep 27 with 4229 views442Dale

383 they said on twitter.

Just got back on 15:28 - Sep 27 with 4212 viewsTVOS1907

Just got back on 20:01 - Sep 26 by mikehunt

It's a bit dramatic, in September, to be concerned about the season fizzling out, mike!

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Just got back on 16:45 - Sep 27 with 4105 viewsmikehunt

I know TVOS. My disappointment in the result got the better of me there. I should sleep on it before posting comment in future.

Just got back on 16:46 - Sep 27 with 4102 views1mark1

Just got back on 15:28 - Sep 27 by TVOS1907

It's a bit dramatic, in September, to be concerned about the season fizzling out, mike!

Plenty to play for, if we haven't a chance of play off's we still have to make sure we secure enough points to guarantee staying in the division. So we every point gained or lost is important, at least until we have amassed 52 points.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Just got back on 18:43 - Sep 27 with 3956 viewsNigeriamark

Just got back on 15:18 - Sep 27 by 442Dale

My First game of the season since the friendlies. My comments based on game

1. Great away support - a lot of Southern dale's but still impressive
2. Kept an eye on Bunney and Cannon based on Hills latest comments. Cannon to me looks like a player we could get good money for in the future. Doesn't look like someone who needs to man up. Gets stuck in and is very quick. Although defensively there were a few errors, I would have had Cannon as one of the best 2 or 3 players yesterday. Bunny didn't have a good half. Not going to slate him as I have only seen this game but I hope to see more if he plays in the next 4 games
3. Why did we bring every player back for their corners and free kicks? Surely leave 1 player up to put pressure on their defenders when we clear it. At 1 free kick in the first half they had 3 back + keeper + the one taking the free kick yet we had all 11 back. defending
4. No-omne has a stormer yesterday but I could see why we are a good team with a lot of skill. However a bit powderpuff in the last third of the field. At the back I would say it was one of those days after Lillis's error. 3rd goal we were pressing too much and got caught. The second goal was a matter of gone missing in action after getting the equaliser.. Overall not to s=dispondent on the whole season if we can just be a bit sharper. Looking forward to the next 4 league games
Just got back on 20:06 - Sep 27 with 3822 viewsrafc1984

Just got back on 15:18 - Sep 27 by 442Dale

Thanks
Just got back on 20:23 - Sep 27 with 3801 viewsOxDale

Just got back on 18:43 - Sep 27 by Nigeriamark

My First game of the season since the friendlies. My comments based on game

1. Great away support - a lot of Southern dale's but still impressive
2. Kept an eye on Bunney and Cannon based on Hills latest comments. Cannon to me looks like a player we could get good money for in the future. Doesn't look like someone who needs to man up. Gets stuck in and is very quick. Although defensively there were a few errors, I would have had Cannon as one of the best 2 or 3 players yesterday. Bunny didn't have a good half. Not going to slate him as I have only seen this game but I hope to see more if he plays in the next 4 games
3. Why did we bring every player back for their corners and free kicks? Surely leave 1 player up to put pressure on their defenders when we clear it. At 1 free kick in the first half they had 3 back + keeper + the one taking the free kick yet we had all 11 back. defending
4. No-omne has a stormer yesterday but I could see why we are a good team with a lot of skill. However a bit powderpuff in the last third of the field. At the back I would say it was one of those days after Lillis's error. 3rd goal we were pressing too much and got caught. The second goal was a matter of gone missing in action after getting the equaliser.. Overall not to s=dispondent on the whole season if we can just be a bit sharper. Looking forward to the next 4 league games

As a southern based exile, it was my first game of the season for various reasons.
Good to see you Mark.
My view. I was really disappointed, probably spoilt by last seasons away performances, but we had a really bad day at the office. Players and management.
From the off we didn't want to take the initiative, both in team selection and attitude. Lillis's missed pass was an attempt to break out of the early negativity but it back fired, and the subsequent defending of a recoverable situation was poor, as mentioned earlier.
We did try to get back into the game, no lack of effort, but silly mis-controls and badly weighted passes dogged our movement. Which was pretty ponderous. Both Lund and Rose lacked movement in midfield which denied Allen options when he eventually got possession.
In fact, there is no serious pace anywhere in the team, which is a worry.
I'd be less kind about Cannon. I didn't see much of him last season, but he was well mugged yesterday. From the ball boys to the winger throwing away his boot, which he then proceeded to put on just inside the goal line playing on the whole Millwall team onside for what seemed an age. He also got booked for squaring up, rather than leaving a bit on his opponent. Which put him on a knife edge for the rest of the game (I'd have sub'd him, no FA qualifications required). And he had loads of space down his right but never got passed the fullback or delivered a decent ball into the danger area. I hope he learns from it.
Taking Bunney off was the soft option. He had messed up for their second (amongst others), but was also involved in our goal. It didn't change anything, other than a few more pointless punts up field to an isolated forward.
We did mount a short spell of pressure after half time, but got suckered with an unlucky ricocheted leading to a counter attack by very slow centre forward, who couldn't be caught!
I agree about the everybody back routine. It seemed very negative.
We were a shadow of the team, both physically, skilfully and mentally, that beat the likes of Swindon (away) last season.
I hope it was a one off.
UTD
Just got back on 20:49 - Sep 27 with 3749 viewsfermin

Largely agree with OxDale's post. Didn't think Cannon was great and could understand why the Millwall fans were laughing at him in the second half.

The game was similar to the Burton one in that the opposition pressurised us at the back and we were too slow and predictable to do anything going forward. Our goal was one of the few times we actually stretched them. I don't think Millwall are that good but we made things so easy for them for all three goals. The timing of all three was really bad - the second just after we equalised shortly before half time and the third just after we had started to put a bit of pressure on them. For most of the game it was a very comfortable day for a team that struggle at home, especially after the third one.

It wasn't that long ago that we were praising our defence with all the clean sheets, but now we seem rather vulnerable. I can't remember if we were doing zonal marking then and in any case I can't see the benefit of it over the more usual approach. As a non-expert it seems quite vulnerable to a player from deep attacking a cross or corner, as happened against Scunthorpe.

Going forward we lacked any sort of pace and were constantly passing the ball sideways or backwards. There did not seem to be much movement cutting through the defence. Again rather like the Burton game. I imagine many teams are going to try this high-pressing tactic against us as it obviously works, so Hill is going to have to think of a way to counter it.

On the station after the game a Millwall fan was saying how good it was that their manager was giving the youth a chance and how young their team was. A Dale fan replied that we were the same. However, I wonder how true that is any more - the only people you could really call youngsters in the ones who played yesterday were Cannon, Allen and Bunney.

Finally, that stand was really steep - gave me a bit of vertigo from the back!
[Post edited 27 Sep 2015 20:53]
Just got back on 20:52 - Sep 27 with 3743 viewsmikehunt

I'm not necessarily clutching at straws here but did the grass seem to have a long cut on it? Could be a crafty by clubs who know we can put a passing game together. A lot of our passes were rolling short and I wonder if this is something we need to be aware of and prepare for.
This crossed my mind at another ground this season (but can't just remember where).

Just got back on 20:56 - Sep 27 with 3728 viewsfermin

Just got back on 20:52 - Sep 27 by mikehunt

I'm not necessarily clutching at straws here but did the grass seem to have a long cut on it? Could be a crafty by clubs who know we can put a passing game together. A lot of our passes were rolling short and I wonder if this is something we need to be aware of and prepare for.
This crossed my mind at another ground this season (but can't just remember where).

Hill said that about Burton - likened it to cricket teams preparing the pitch to suit their own type of game. It is clutching at straws in my opinion. Burton's pitch looked pretty immaculate to me - certainly not a mudheap which certainly would make life difficult for us.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024