Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are we progressing 21:47 - Apr 30 with 3636 viewsrochdaleriddler

I am old enough to remember the bad days of the 70's and 80's. I appreciate the level of football we are playing at. I know that we should be grateful we still have a viable club, given the poor gates we have, this season is for me however a massive wasted opportunity, with better team selection, playing people in their proper positions, and using players brought in on loan etc I think we could have done far better. We have finished around the same position for 3 years, it's time we pushed on

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Are we progressing on 21:55 - Apr 30 with 3605 viewsJimmyRustler

I think we look back on this season in a few years with regret. Obviously we've done fantastically well to finish where we have considering the start we had but we really royally fooked it this season. Are we happy with our lot? Of course. Are we wrong to want more and dream of bigger things? Absolutely not.
Are we progressing on 22:16 - Apr 30 with 3527 viewsCanaDale

Progressing doesn't always mean bettering your end of season finish each year, if you look at the kind of football played this year, the youth development, you would have to say we are in a better position all around than 2/3 years ago.
Are we progressing on 22:22 - Apr 30 with 3490 viewsDaley_Lama

Absolutely progressing.

Last season i thought we over achieved, with injuries and a bit of a mental gap about 90th minute play (sometimes a point is ok) then this season has a tinge of under achievement.

Still, a great season over all. Even the pitch looked good today.

Poll: DF in or out

Are we progressing on 23:13 - Apr 30 with 3372 viewsShun

This season is our highest ever league finish isn't it? If not, it's close. We're most definitely progressing. We own the stadium, we're developing marketing strategies, we've just had our highest average attendance since 1973, we have an exciting season ticket initiative, our youth academy is the third most productive in England, our team is full of exciting youth products. Every single one of these is huge progress and they're beacons of hope for future success. Progression shouldn't be quantifiable, it shouldn't be marked in medals or Wembley appearances or prize money, but in the gradual improvement we've been seeing over the past few years.
Are we progressing on 23:41 - Apr 30 with 3288 viewsD_Dale

Are we progressing on 23:13 - Apr 30 by Shun

This season is our highest ever league finish isn't it? If not, it's close. We're most definitely progressing. We own the stadium, we're developing marketing strategies, we've just had our highest average attendance since 1973, we have an exciting season ticket initiative, our youth academy is the third most productive in England, our team is full of exciting youth products. Every single one of these is huge progress and they're beacons of hope for future success. Progression shouldn't be quantifiable, it shouldn't be marked in medals or Wembley appearances or prize money, but in the gradual improvement we've been seeing over the past few years.

I think our highest finish was 8th in 2014-15. But I agree the season should be regarded as a successful one.

Hill's 3 seasons in L1 have been very consistent:

2014-15: W19 D6 L21 F72 A66 Pts 63 8th
2015-16: W19 D12 L15 F68 A61 Pts 69 10th
2016-17: W19 D12 L15 F71 A62 Pts 69 9th

And going back seven seasons:

2010-11: W18 D14 L14 F63 A55 Pts 68 9th
Are we progressing on 00:33 - May 1 with 3199 viewsFrog

Going back to the 70's and 80's, and yes we could only dream of competing at this level of but a crap start and a run of 10 games without a win make me wonder 'what if?'
Are we progressing on 09:35 - May 1 with 2866 viewsEllGazzell

That's all great, but I'm not interested in playing football club tycoon, or sim soccer. I'm interested in the finishing position, the trophy cabinet etc.

Lauding the off field "accomplishments" is even less relevant considering the recent Sweetmoregate.

Football wise it's been a massive MASSIVE missed opportunity, strange tactics and selections have put paid to the the best chance to get into the next division up and its pretty galling.

Poll: If possible tomorrow, which model do you choose for Dale?

Are we progressing on 09:51 - May 1 with 2784 viewsColDale

Are we progressing on 09:35 - May 1 by EllGazzell

That's all great, but I'm not interested in playing football club tycoon, or sim soccer. I'm interested in the finishing position, the trophy cabinet etc.

Lauding the off field "accomplishments" is even less relevant considering the recent Sweetmoregate.

Football wise it's been a massive MASSIVE missed opportunity, strange tactics and selections have put paid to the the best chance to get into the next division up and its pretty galling.

In many ways, its precisely that which shows the progress we are making. The two previous seasons, we pretty much squeezed every single point out that we could, whilst this year we've reached our record points total for this division, and its accompanied by a whole host of what ifs and maybes. There's been spells this season where we've been as good as any team in the division, and my own personal opinion is that had Joe Bunney not picked up that injury at Walsall, we'd have been challenging Bolton for 2nd place.
Login to get fewer ads

Are we progressing on 09:58 - May 1 with 2762 viewsroccydaleian

Are we progressing on 09:35 - May 1 by EllGazzell

Have you actually seen any of it?
Are we progressing on 10:25 - May 1 with 2670 views100notout

Haven't read all of this thread so apologies if I repeat anything that has been said.

to the OP - an emphatic YES - we have and are progressing - owning the stadium, cash in the bank, excellent academy and a production line of talent coming through, saleable assets (yes we have always been and will always be a selling club - but we are now selling on our terms and when it is right for us and the players concerned). The list of positives goes on BUT

IMHO, this season has been a missed opportunity - we were hit by lots of injuries at key points of the season, key players suspended but sorry Keith, some of your recruitment in January was naff - Jack Redshaw???? Joel Taylor?????? Team selection was at times head scratching - players out of position, form players on the bench / left out, poor players continuing to start / not being subbed, substitutions bewildering. I appreciate we don't know the full story behind some of the decisions but FFS Keith, if you're going to put square pegs in round holes, do it on the training pitch and don't trey it in the league until they've mastered it.

Progression? Absolutely. Unfortunately its 2 steps forward and one back - sometimes 3 or 4 steps back - Sweetmore / big screen being current examples.

Lets leave the own goals to the opposition on a saturday afternoon

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

Are we progressing on 10:33 - May 1 with 2648 views442Dale

Are we progressing on 09:51 - May 1 by ColDale

In many ways, its precisely that which shows the progress we are making. The two previous seasons, we pretty much squeezed every single point out that we could, whilst this year we've reached our record points total for this division, and its accompanied by a whole host of what ifs and maybes. There's been spells this season where we've been as good as any team in the division, and my own personal opinion is that had Joe Bunney not picked up that injury at Walsall, we'd have been challenging Bolton for 2nd place.

If we'd dealt with that injury better with consistent selection we'd have been playing on Thursday night. I'm sure the management team are fully aware of that too.

A lot of people in the pre-season predictions thread had us down for mid-table or around where we've finished, so it's been a good season on paper. As supporters we are rightly proud of how we continue to perform way above the expectations of the football world, as supporters we are also astute enough to realise we could and maybe should have done better than we have. You would expect the manager and the players to agree with that too.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Are we progressing on 11:58 - May 1 with 2512 viewsDaleofthedead

Are we progressing on 10:25 - May 1 by 100notout

Haven't read all of this thread so apologies if I repeat anything that has been said.

to the OP - an emphatic YES - we have and are progressing - owning the stadium, cash in the bank, excellent academy and a production line of talent coming through, saleable assets (yes we have always been and will always be a selling club - but we are now selling on our terms and when it is right for us and the players concerned). The list of positives goes on BUT

IMHO, this season has been a missed opportunity - we were hit by lots of injuries at key points of the season, key players suspended but sorry Keith, some of your recruitment in January was naff - Jack Redshaw???? Joel Taylor?????? Team selection was at times head scratching - players out of position, form players on the bench / left out, poor players continuing to start / not being subbed, substitutions bewildering. I appreciate we don't know the full story behind some of the decisions but FFS Keith, if you're going to put square pegs in round holes, do it on the training pitch and don't trey it in the league until they've mastered it.

Progression? Absolutely. Unfortunately its 2 steps forward and one back - sometimes 3 or 4 steps back - Sweetmore / big screen being current examples.

Joe Bunney at left back was a square peg. That worked out well! Totally agree about transfer window signings however I do recall a lot of questioning of the signing of Keith Keane on loan as he was not getting in a league 2 side. Again this largely payed off. In my opinion Hilly has tried to be creative with the limited means he has, granted it hasnt always paid off, but we shouldn't forget about the times when it does.
Are we progressing on 14:22 - May 1 with 2363 viewsaleanddale

Shun for president.

Totally agree.

Talks to much sense this chap.
Are we progressing on 15:23 - May 1 with 2259 views442Dale

Was looking at the final table: we lost our away games at four of the bottom five clubs.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Are we progressing on 16:15 - May 1 with 2141 viewsfrenzied

Great progress this season

I feel we have a decent squad with some young players stepping up and delivering consistent performances well beyond their years.

NML Raff and Lund will prob exit in the summer ..good luck to them no one would deny them a bigger opportunity elsewhere.
It will be interesting to see if some of the Hogan money is slashed..id like to see us make a move early rather than scratching around 2 weeks before the season begins..
Are we progressing on 17:18 - May 1 with 2029 viewsrochdaleriddler

Bit more positive now the post match depression has lifted, yes we are progressing, but slowly. Progression should be quantifiable and top six has to be a realistic aim next year

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Are we progressing on 17:20 - May 1 with 2016 viewsrkershaw

Are we progressing on 17:18 - May 1 by rochdaleriddler

Bit more positive now the post match depression has lifted, yes we are progressing, but slowly. Progression should be quantifiable and top six has to be a realistic aim next year

True progression would be to secure NML for next season!!!
Are we progressing on 17:24 - May 1 with 2001 viewsTVOS1907

Are we progressing on 17:18 - May 1 by rochdaleriddler

What is interesting (or not) is that of last season's top 10 (minus the promoted clubs), Millwall and Bradford have again reached the play-offs, Scunthorpe have climbed into the play-offs and we finished a place higher.

Coventry were relegated, Gillingham nearly relegated and Walsall finished mid-table.

I suppose our aim now is to match what Scunthorpe did.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Are we progressing on 17:49 - May 1 with 1926 viewsDaleiLama

Are we progressing on 17:24 - May 1 by TVOS1907

What is interesting (or not) is that of last season's top 10 (minus the promoted clubs), Millwall and Bradford have again reached the play-offs, Scunthorpe have climbed into the play-offs and we finished a place higher.

Coventry were relegated, Gillingham nearly relegated and Walsall finished mid-table.

I suppose our aim now is to match what Scunthorpe did.

Or better it? Not inconceivable if we can get the right squad together and improve both consistency and defence.

If they are replaced, we will need a Lund Mk 2 who can fulfil a similar role but also add those all important goals, and an NML Mk2 who can contribute goals too, but what about that delivery (especially from the by line) - it will be missed unless we get really lucky?

They are secondary to shoring up the back though.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Are we progressing on 20:14 - May 1 with 1707 viewsD_Dale

"Was looking at the final table: we lost our away games at four of the bottom five clubs."

But at home Dale defeated four, and drew with two, of the top six sides.

Only Sheff U and Scunny had more home wins. Away, ten sides won more games than Dale.

I'm all in favour of the call to strengthen the defence for next season, though I'd like to think similar efforts are made to improve Dale's relatively poor away performance.
[Post edited 1 May 2017 20:16]
Are we progressing on 20:15 - May 1 with 1701 viewsTVOS1907

Are we progressing on 20:14 - May 1 by D_Dale

"Was looking at the final table: we lost our away games at four of the bottom five clubs."

But at home Dale defeated four, and drew with two, of the top six sides.

Only Sheff U and Scunny had more home wins. Away, ten sides won more games than Dale.

I'm all in favour of the call to strengthen the defence for next season, though I'd like to think similar efforts are made to improve Dale's relatively poor away performance.
[Post edited 1 May 2017 20:16]

I would think one of those things might contribute to the other.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Are we progressing on 20:15 - May 1 with 1702 viewsSteTsGoldenBoot

On the pitch yes.

Off the pitch, just when so many great things were happening, we shoot ourselves in the foot!

Working parties to tidy up the ground, donations for a new scoreboard and the rehiring of the DJ smacks of a local cricket club, not a professional football team that's just has a £2 million windfall.

Everything thats been, has past. The answers in the looking glass!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024