Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best Route to the COA 19:41 - Jul 3 with 6095 viewsJames1980

Ok then season ticket deposit placed just waiting for payday to pay the balance. Leave has been granted for Saturday's needed off.
Next advise please on best way to the ground on public transport from Rochdale railway station (if that is the best place to alight). Or is the walk ok from the station? How hostile is the environment?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Best Route to the COA on 20:06 - Jul 3 with 3461 viewsLuke8686

I usually walk it from the station although it's a good 35-40 minutes so you may want to get a tram in to town and there's a bus up to the ground from there (not sure which one).

Environment is not hostile at all, one of the most friendly welcoming grounds around, apart from a bit of hostility in the away end a few games per season.
Best Route to the COA on 20:08 - Jul 3 with 3449 viewsKnowlesy

Is this your first Dale season ticket? Good on ya!

Depending on how fast you walk it's a half hour / 45 minute walk from Rochdale station to the ground. It's a pretty straightforward walk so if you have enough time I'd just say do that. When I was at Uni in Manchester I'd get the train into Rochdale and walk every week.

Edit: a note on the atmosphere around town, I actually think it's a lot better nowadays than it has been, especially as you don't have to go up the main 'shopping' street in town (if you can call it that). Now that the river has been opened up, in the right weather, I actually think it looks quite nice. There's no hostile atmosphere in the town or around the ground so you'll be fine!
[Post edited 3 Jul 2017 20:13]
Best Route to the COA on 20:09 - Jul 3 with 3441 viewsdalenumber2

Good for you. It's a bit of a walk to the COA from the station - I would get a taxi. Hostile? Well not that bad really, just like any other northern industrial town to be honest. The 'environment' around the station is a bit grim but it gets better as you get nearer the ground (well a bit!) Hope you enjoy being a season ticket holder, I don't think you'll regret ti.
Best Route to the COA on 21:02 - Jul 3 with 3324 viewsYorkshire_Dale

I too travel in by train quite often......I like it actually.

Walking down Drake Street to the bus station takes about 5 mins or so......

If you use a taxi,don't use the rascals outside the Station,far to dear....walk along to Streamline Taxis (just at the junction of Milnrow Road/Oldham Road),they are much cheaper and run an efficient set up,

There are a couple of buses passing San Spotty and the folks at the bus station will point you at the correct stop.

The Cafe in the Bus Station sells great coffee and bacon sarnies.......try em!
[Post edited 3 Jul 2017 21:14]
Best Route to the COA on 21:41 - Jul 3 with 3244 viewschalkyncfc

I wouldn't say that Rochdale is an entirely friendly club to visit,it certainly got a bit hostile when I was coming out of the ground a few seasons back and that game only ended in a draw
Which team do you support James?
Best Route to the COA on 21:54 - Jul 3 with 3215 viewsTVOS1907

Best Route to the COA on 21:41 - Jul 3 by chalkyncfc

I wouldn't say that Rochdale is an entirely friendly club to visit,it certainly got a bit hostile when I was coming out of the ground a few seasons back and that game only ended in a draw

That's because fans generally take controversial 94th minute equalisers by the opposition quite well.

Or, instead, they throw highlighter pens at opposing central defenders born in their own city and then leap on car bonnets of visiting fans leaving cattle market-type car parks...

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Best Route to the COA on 21:56 - Jul 3 with 3203 viewsBrierls

Best Route to the COA on 21:41 - Jul 3 by chalkyncfc

That's probably more to do with you and your club generally coming across as cu nts.
Best Route to the COA on 21:57 - Jul 3 with 3197 viewsfermin

I would say 25-30 minutes walk from the station as I do it regularly and I am not that fast a walker these days. I don't go down Drake Street - I go through the back streets up to St Alban's street by Broadfield Park, cut across the park to the big junction with Dane street by Asda then walk up Dane Street and Mellor Street to Spotland Bridge. I think that is the quickest way myself, but if you do not feel like the walk get a taxi as others say.
Login to get fewer ads

Best Route to the COA on 22:02 - Jul 3 with 3190 viewschalkyncfc

Best Route to the COA on 21:56 - Jul 3 by Brierls

That's probably more to do with you and your club generally coming across as cu nts.

I didn't know that I came over that way at Spotland but thanks for clearing that up,I shall try to be even less inconspicuous than not wearing any colours and keeping my head down than i did the next time
Best Route to the COA on 22:08 - Jul 3 with 3163 viewsTVOS1907

Best Route to the COA on 22:02 - Jul 3 by chalkyncfc

I didn't know that I came over that way at Spotland but thanks for clearing that up,I shall try to be even less inconspicuous than not wearing any colours and keeping my head down than i did the next time

You might have a long wait...

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Best Route to the COA on 22:59 - Jul 3 with 3057 viewschalkyncfc

I'm still not sure who James supports,is it Rochdale?
I can't understand how he doesn't know the way to the ground plus why he's gone head first into buying a season ticket if he is,at first I thought he was an away fan looking for directions to a friendly on Saturday but you haven't got one
Best Route to the COA on 23:13 - Jul 3 with 3041 viewsLuke8686

Best Route to the COA on 22:59 - Jul 3 by chalkyncfc

I'm still not sure who James supports,is it Rochdale?
I can't understand how he doesn't know the way to the ground plus why he's gone head first into buying a season ticket if he is,at first I thought he was an away fan looking for directions to a friendly on Saturday but you haven't got one

Surely you come on this forum enough to notice that we're running a season ticket initiative for this season with the aim of attracting new fans?
Best Route to the COA on 23:27 - Jul 3 with 3026 viewschalkyncfc

Best Route to the COA on 23:13 - Jul 3 by Luke8686

Surely you come on this forum enough to notice that we're running a season ticket initiative for this season with the aim of attracting new fans?

Of course I have,but James appears that he's not only finding it difficult to get to the ground but he's never been to Rochdale, surely he must have seen Rochdale play before buying a season tkt,if your promotion team are selling season tkts to people outside of Rochdale who haven't even been to the ground then they deserve a salute of the finest kind
Best Route to the COA on 23:57 - Jul 3 with 2998 viewsLuke8686

Best Route to the COA on 23:27 - Jul 3 by chalkyncfc

Of course I have,but James appears that he's not only finding it difficult to get to the ground but he's never been to Rochdale, surely he must have seen Rochdale play before buying a season tkt,if your promotion team are selling season tkts to people outside of Rochdale who haven't even been to the ground then they deserve a salute of the finest kind

Why are you bothered?
Best Route to the COA on 00:14 - Jul 4 with 2983 viewschalkyncfc

Best Route to the COA on 23:57 - Jul 3 by Luke8686

Why are you bothered?

I'm not 'bothered' more interested,its an unusual scenario that's all
Best Route to the COA on 00:58 - Jul 4 with 2958 viewskiwidale

Best Route to the COA on 00:14 - Jul 4 by chalkyncfc

I'm not 'bothered' more interested,its an unusual scenario that's all

I must admit I thought exactly as you did chalky, it seemed strange that someone would buy a season ticket who didn't know his way to the ground but then again it also seems strange that we've got a Spaniard fan who is a big dale fan. almost as strange as you supporting county when Forest are sleeping giants they won 2 European cups don't you know.

This is not the time for bickering.

Best Route to the COA on 09:16 - Jul 4 with 2759 viewsJames1980

Firstly I am a Rochdale fan. I have been to a few away games but have to confess I have not seen them play at home. The bargain price of the season ticket plus my discount on the trains made me decide to dive in and get a season ticket.

Best Route to the COA on 10:08 - Jul 4 with 2686 viewsfitzochris

Nice one. Where do you live and what made you want to become a Dale fan?

Don't say FIFA

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Best Route to the COA on 10:31 - Jul 4 with 2611 viewschalkyncfc

Best Route to the COA on 00:58 - Jul 4 by kiwidale

I must admit I thought exactly as you did chalky, it seemed strange that someone would buy a season ticket who didn't know his way to the ground but then again it also seems strange that we've got a Spaniard fan who is a big dale fan. almost as strange as you supporting county when Forest are sleeping giants they won 2 European cups don't you know.

Two European Cups? You would have thought that they would have mentioned it before now
Best Route to the COA on 13:11 - Jul 4 with 2396 viewsJames1980

Best Route to the COA on 10:08 - Jul 4 by fitzochris

Nice one. Where do you live and what made you want to become a Dale fan?

Don't say FIFA

About 10 miles north of Brighton. I chose Dale because when I was a kid I didn't support a team, I saw my mates at school call each other glory hunters for supporting the likes of Liverpool, Man United, Arsenal etc. So I looked on teletext (you youngesters might not remember that) and choose a team the other end of the leagues so as not to be called a glory hunter.

Best Route to the COA on 14:23 - Jul 4 with 2256 viewsAtThePeake

Best Route to the COA on 10:31 - Jul 4 by chalkyncfc

Two European Cups? You would have thought that they would have mentioned it before now

I really don't get why you would expect them to do anything other than mention they've won Two European Cups at every opportunity. It's the biggest prize in football and they won it twice within living memory for a lot of fans too, pretty incredible.

It's hardly like Bury banging on about winning the FA Cup before we were even formed is it? If I was a Forest fan even though it would be before my time I'm pretty sure the only thing I'd ever mention would be the two European Cups.

Welcome on board for home games OP, that's serious commitment that amount of travelling. Fair play to you!

Tangled up in blue.

Best Route to the COA on 15:20 - Jul 4 with 2171 viewschalkyncfc

Best Route to the COA on 14:23 - Jul 4 by AtThePeake

I really don't get why you would expect them to do anything other than mention they've won Two European Cups at every opportunity. It's the biggest prize in football and they won it twice within living memory for a lot of fans too, pretty incredible.

It's hardly like Bury banging on about winning the FA Cup before we were even formed is it? If I was a Forest fan even though it would be before my time I'm pretty sure the only thing I'd ever mention would be the two European Cups.

Welcome on board for home games OP, that's serious commitment that amount of travelling. Fair play to you!

Because after hearing the same thing for near on 40 years it's starting to get a bit boring,its ALWAYS mentioned at any opportunity, from what I can gather the finals was two of the best games ever witnessed in the footballing world and going by the amount of people that I have spoken to that witnessed the event there must have been around 500,000 reds there to cheer Forest on,adding to the fact that they genuinely believe that they are a Premier League club that's temporary dipped down a league just feel lucky that you don't live in Nottingham, the arrogance of them is astoundingly

Did i mention that it was f@#king 40 years ago
Best Route to the COA on 15:45 - Jul 4 with 2139 viewsroccydaleian

Best Route to the COA on 15:20 - Jul 4 by chalkyncfc

Because after hearing the same thing for near on 40 years it's starting to get a bit boring,its ALWAYS mentioned at any opportunity, from what I can gather the finals was two of the best games ever witnessed in the footballing world and going by the amount of people that I have spoken to that witnessed the event there must have been around 500,000 reds there to cheer Forest on,adding to the fact that they genuinely believe that they are a Premier League club that's temporary dipped down a league just feel lucky that you don't live in Nottingham, the arrogance of them is astoundingly

Fook off Chalky.
Best Route to the COA on 16:30 - Jul 4 with 2090 viewsJames1980

Best Route to the COA on 15:20 - Jul 4 by chalkyncfc

Bit like in American film and TV everyone over 25 seems to have fought in Nam.
Cheers for the welcomes getting to the ground does mean an early start. But I am sure it will be worth it

Best Route to the COA on 17:20 - Jul 4 with 2006 viewsrichfoad32

Best Route to the COA on 13:11 - Jul 4 by James1980

About 10 miles north of Brighton. I chose Dale because when I was a kid I didn't support a team, I saw my mates at school call each other glory hunters for supporting the likes of Liverpool, Man United, Arsenal etc. So I looked on teletext (you youngesters might not remember that) and choose a team the other end of the leagues so as not to be called a glory hunter.

Whereabouts north of Brighton are you mate? I live in Brighton and pretty much started following Dale for the same reasons you did (though I lived in Newark at the time), bottom of the league...always seeking re-election...etc. Nice to know I'm not the only one down here. I work the majority of Saturdays so only make it up to the COA 4-5 times a season so I envy your season ticket. It's not a bad journey and if you book in advance, pretty cheap. On no account hop a tram at Manchester, I made that mistake first time I visited and about 100 yards of rocking and lurching down the street, hopped off again....Would've been quicker walking. Echo what others have said, it's about a 25 minute walk from the train station and pretty straightforward once you know where you're going. I always walk it to stretch my legs after the train journey and it's a good excuse to visit a few pubs.

Enjoy the season, probably bump into you at some point as Rochdale fans travelling from this part of the country do tend to rather stand out.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024