Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Groundsman 17:24 - Jan 29 with 10572 viewsisitme

This could be and probably is rubbish but somebody told me today that the groundsman has been sacked.
Groundsman on 17:52 - Jan 29 with 7871 viewsShun

Without wanting to spread rumours, it was also reported on here that Olli Makin was seen at the club last week. Maybe he wasn't there just to see old friends.
Groundsman on 18:06 - Jan 29 with 7804 viewsisitme

That sort of adds a bit more plausibility. The pitch did seem to be much better when Oli was in charge, although I wouldn't wish the potential loss of a job on anyone (if it is true that is).
Groundsman on 18:09 - Jan 29 with 7786 viewsdingdangblue

Nah - they've just sent him on a beach holiday.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Groundsman on 18:22 - Jan 29 with 7708 viewsRosun

Or he's on gardening leave?
Groundsman (n/t) on 19:03 - Jan 29 with 7465 viewsMolly

Groundsman on 19:04 - Jan 29 with 7450 viewselectricblue

Leaf it out....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Groundsman on 19:10 - Jan 29 with 7385 viewsSwissdale

Pitch is an absolute disgrace at the moment. We've not had any worse weather in the past couple of years than previously, AND we have the added luxury of (supposedly) functional drains.

Wouldn't wish the sack on anyone, but the state of the surface has massively deteriorated since the current incumbent took his post, and it's hard to look anywhere else for someone to blame.
Groundsman on 21:43 - Jan 29 with 7110 viewssweetcorn

Groundsman on 18:06 - Jan 29 by isitme

That sort of adds a bit more plausibility. The pitch did seem to be much better when Oli was in charge, although I wouldn't wish the potential loss of a job on anyone (if it is true that is).

You’d have to expect it though surely, if you f**k up at work in any walk of life, you end up with either a disciplinary or the sack..

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Login to get fewer ads

Groundsman on 10:46 - Jan 30 with 6630 viewsDiddyDave

Unless you`re a CEO,whereby you get a golden handshake of two years pay,the same amount of shares value and guaranteed another job as CEO somewhere else.
Groundsman on 10:53 - Jan 30 with 6595 viewsrochdaleriddler

Groundsman on 10:46 - Jan 30 by DiddyDave

Unless you`re a CEO,whereby you get a golden handshake of two years pay,the same amount of shares value and guaranteed another job as CEO somewhere else.

Absolutely

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Groundsman on 11:05 - Jan 30 with 6560 viewssteofthedale

My recollection following relaying of the pitch last season was that (although an improvement on the one replaced), it was never a particularly good surface.

Having checked the rainfall data for September to December inclusive it is clear that there has been above average levels in the North West in each month.

Although I no longer reside in Rochdale, I am unaware that it has lost the well deserved reputation for being one of the damper locations in the North West.

I'm not sure that I would be quite so critical of the groundsman when he may have been dealt an impossible hand.
[Post edited 30 Jan 2018 11:06]

steofthedale*

Groundsman on 11:13 - Jan 30 with 6515 viewsmingthemerciless

Groundsman on 11:05 - Jan 30 by steofthedale

My recollection following relaying of the pitch last season was that (although an improvement on the one replaced), it was never a particularly good surface.

Having checked the rainfall data for September to December inclusive it is clear that there has been above average levels in the North West in each month.

Although I no longer reside in Rochdale, I am unaware that it has lost the well deserved reputation for being one of the damper locations in the North West.

I'm not sure that I would be quite so critical of the groundsman when he may have been dealt an impossible hand.
[Post edited 30 Jan 2018 11:06]

In my un-researched opinion it's been a very wet Autumn/Winter. When you say above average rainfall for the time of year in the North West then you're talking about plenty of rain and not much sun.
Ironically today is a nice dry day and the sun has just come out.

Obviously people hear things regarding the up keep of the ground but it wouldn't be right to repeat them without real evidence. One or two posters have previously hinted at the rumours without going into detail.
[Post edited 30 Jan 2018 11:14]
Groundsman on 11:24 - Jan 30 with 6475 viewsLS27Rdale

Reading between the lines from the Trust Info.

I think the club would have preferred to relay the pitch close season as the window they had wasnt long enough. So they either took a gamble or the firm that laid it were not up to scratch.

Only time will tell on the above comments

So at the end of the season, the window is long enough,to relay again and hopefully we will have the bowling green back come august. Fair play to Hornets too. Both teams want a good pitch

TBF this is my own view, an tbf the board which ever way that they treated the pitch last season, they coldnt have won.
Groundsman on 12:27 - Jan 30 with 6266 viewsdingdangblue

Groundsman on 11:24 - Jan 30 by LS27Rdale

Reading between the lines from the Trust Info.

I think the club would have preferred to relay the pitch close season as the window they had wasnt long enough. So they either took a gamble or the firm that laid it were not up to scratch.

Only time will tell on the above comments

So at the end of the season, the window is long enough,to relay again and hopefully we will have the bowling green back come august. Fair play to Hornets too. Both teams want a good pitch

TBF this is my own view, an tbf the board which ever way that they treated the pitch last season, they coldnt have won.

There was no window last season and you would never choose to relay a new pitch in Feb - but we had the perfect storm of the Hogan money and going for the playoffs - coinciding with the pitch looking pretty bad (but nowhere near the state it's in now). They chanced a soil based turf pitch (which is all we had time to lay in a week - ordinarily in close season it's relayed and reseeded and grown from scratch). It just hasn't worked and you can now see why these soil based pitches are a thing of the past now with today's technology. 20-30 years ago all pitches used to look a mess after the Winter weather but you just got on with it. Now it looks out of place if you are a professional league team and not playing on a carpet all year round. You can see why the club did it last Feb but long term it's just caused all the problems we have now.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Groundsman on 13:32 - Jan 30 with 5988 viewsD_Alien

Groundsman on 12:27 - Jan 30 by dingdangblue

There was no window last season and you would never choose to relay a new pitch in Feb - but we had the perfect storm of the Hogan money and going for the playoffs - coinciding with the pitch looking pretty bad (but nowhere near the state it's in now). They chanced a soil based turf pitch (which is all we had time to lay in a week - ordinarily in close season it's relayed and reseeded and grown from scratch). It just hasn't worked and you can now see why these soil based pitches are a thing of the past now with today's technology. 20-30 years ago all pitches used to look a mess after the Winter weather but you just got on with it. Now it looks out of place if you are a professional league team and not playing on a carpet all year round. You can see why the club did it last Feb but long term it's just caused all the problems we have now.

I wish people would read the OS statement before posting opinions

The long-term cause of the deteriorating pitch was the 2016 summer overhaul when the wrong type of sand was used - not the emergency relay this time last year

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Groundsman on 20:57 - Jan 30 with 5490 viewskiwidale

There has been a couple of references on here to an official club statement about the pitch? I cant find it can anybody post a link. What I did find and I'm not sure its the official site or not is this gem

The club will continue to seek advice from pitch experts and remain in contact with the EFL. We will keep supporters up to date where and when possible.

How could anybody write that with a straight face?

This is not the time for bickering.

Groundsman on 21:00 - Jan 30 with 5475 viewsNinco

The directors have already said that they had to buy the wrong type of pitch as it was the wrong time of year to install a fibresand one, so if they envisaged these problems in advance, why would they then sack the groundsman?
Groundsman on 21:07 - Jan 30 with 5435 viewssurb_dale

Groundsman on 13:32 - Jan 30 by D_Alien

The long-term cause of the deteriorating pitch was the 2016 summer overhaul when the wrong type of sand was used - not the emergency relay this time last year

I'd be interested to know who was to blame for that almighty eff up. Our groundsman at the time or pitch company??

It sounds lke the equivalent of a baker mixing up salt and sugar.
[Post edited 30 Jan 2018 21:09]
Groundsman on 21:12 - Jan 30 with 5392 views100notout

Groundsman on 21:00 - Jan 30 by Ninco

The directors have already said that they had to buy the wrong type of pitch as it was the wrong time of year to install a fibresand one, so if they envisaged these problems in advance, why would they then sack the groundsman?

Not read the whole background so apologies in advance but if it was acknowledged that it was the wrong type of pitch why wasn't a proper one (fibresand?) laid in the summer?

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

Groundsman on 21:16 - Jan 30 with 5362 viewsNinco

Groundsman on 21:12 - Jan 30 by 100notout

Not read the whole background so apologies in advance but if it was acknowledged that it was the wrong type of pitch why wasn't a proper one (fibresand?) laid in the summer?

Presumably down to budgets. If the installers tell you it will last 18 months, you don't expect it to pack in earlier so you don't budget for a new pitch.
Groundsman on 21:18 - Jan 30 with 5335 viewskiwidale

Groundsman on 21:07 - Jan 30 by surb_dale

I'd be interested to know who was to blame for that almighty eff up. Our groundsman at the time or pitch company??

It sounds lke the equivalent of a baker mixing up salt and sugar.
[Post edited 30 Jan 2018 21:09]

Its been suggested or rumoured that the wrong sand was used when the pitch was first laid in the summer of 2016 not the relay of the current pitch 12 months ago mid season. How can the groundsman be responsible for that?

again can anybody post a link to a club statement confirming this or is it just bollox.

This is not the time for bickering.

Groundsman on 21:31 - Jan 30 with 5259 viewsdingdangblue

Groundsman on 13:32 - Jan 30 by D_Alien

Eh? Doesn't it also say that soil based pitches aren't as good? We laid a soil based pitch and guess what - it's no good. I'm not sure what I've said which contradicts the article?

Groundsman on 21:57 - Jan 30 with 5139 viewsD_Alien

Groundsman on 21:31 - Jan 30 by dingdangblue

Eh? Doesn't it also say that soil based pitches aren't as good? We laid a soil based pitch and guess what - it's no good. I'm not sure what I've said which contradicts the article?

This:

"You can see why the club did it last Feb but long term it's just caused all the problems we have now."

Note the "all"

You didn't mention the 2016 sand problem, which led to the Feb 17 emergency relay; the true cause of the long-term problem

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Groundsman on 22:54 - Jan 30 with 4986 viewsdingdangblue

Groundsman on 21:57 - Jan 30 by D_Alien

This:

"You can see why the club did it last Feb but long term it's just caused all the problems we have now."

Note the "all"

You didn't mention the 2016 sand problem, which led to the Feb 17 emergency relay; the true cause of the long-term problem

Have they said when they realised they'd put the wrong sand base down?

Groundsman on 23:13 - Jan 30 with 4931 viewssurb_dale

Groundsman on 21:18 - Jan 30 by kiwidale

Its been suggested or rumoured that the wrong sand was used when the pitch was first laid in the summer of 2016 not the relay of the current pitch 12 months ago mid season. How can the groundsman be responsible for that?

again can anybody post a link to a club statement confirming this or is it just bollox.

kiwi it’s from the minutes taken at the trust meeting with the board
‘Wrong type of sand mix’

http://www.daletrust.co.uk/2018/01/meeting-with-the-directors-part-2/
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024