Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Manager Interviews: Paul Simpson 10:45 - Feb 4 with 1913 viewsRochdaleAFC.com

Another trip down memory lane and another great read from Fitzo:

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/rochdale/news/51895/manager-interviews-paul-simpson

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Manager Interviews: Paul Simpson on 11:02 - Feb 4 with 1881 viewsScunnydale

Another fine interview with some very fair comments from Simmo.

That bit about delegation certainly rang true. I remember one of my biggest gripes with him being that everything had to go through him on the pitch. As time has gone on, my opinion of him has very much softened, and I'm grateful for all he did, especially as a player. Still one of the finest talents we've had.

Plus, I really enjoyed going up to Carlisle when he was manager and hearing their fans sing the "One Paul Simpson" chant. There wasn't that day.
Manager Interviews: Paul Simpson on 13:04 - Feb 4 with 1696 viewsChaffRAFC

Simpson was a victim of his own ego. His backroom staff added nothing. His own insistence to stifle the progress of McCourt and Townson meant we lost both players for nothing when they had been a potential million pound sale the season before.

Some of the performances were horrendous. Lincoln away early on in the season stood out as being the worst performance since Barrow had been in charge, worse than the 7-1 loss to Shrewsbury under Parkin.

Fact is, he took a squad that missed out on automatic promotion to league one by a point and been beaten in the playoffs to narrowly avoiding relegation to non-league by 4 points in the space of 12 months despite bringing in what we all classed as luxury players.

We also went two spells, both earlyish and late in the season where we had won 1 in 12 games.

I'd had enough by March, the defeat at Scunthorpe was the final straw for me and went down to Exeter with my "Simmo Out" banner (a real one unlike Bazinga) and we didn't win for another 10 games.

The Macclesfield game was the final straw for most others as we got beat again in the rain as we all sang "we're singing in the rain, we're singing in the rain, we're losing again" followed by chorus' of "It's the end of Simmo as we know it, and I feel fine" back in the Ratcliffe Arms after the game.

The FA Cup masked what was a truly awful season. Financially it was hugely beneficial but what we saw simply wasn't good enough.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Manager Interviews: Paul Simpson on 13:04 - Feb 4 with 1693 viewsD_Alien

The write-up itself is well put-together, but alongside Kevin Townson there was the obvious matter of one Paddy McCourt by way of omission

The best that can be said is that his player-management skills were as yet undeveloped, and tbf, he does seem to acknowledge naivety but rather in administrative functions than the way he was unable to accommodate outstanding (if wayward) talent

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Manager Interviews: Paul Simpson on 13:24 - Feb 4 with 1646 viewsdawlishdale

Simmo was one of the best players we've seen playing for Rochdale, but when he was made our player Manager he made two huge mistakes.

Firstly, appointing Jamie Hoyland as his number two. He was regarded as a bully by many of the younger players, and just not up to the task of being an assistant Manager, earning the nickname Velcro-Arse.

Secondly, Simmo insisted on being on the pitch much more than he should have done, and annoyingly, this was mainly at the expense of Paddy McCourt, who had a very limited number of games during the Simmo era. It was almost as if Simmo was jealous of the younger talent at the club;such was his reluctance to play the crop of exciting kids that we had.

Fantastic player...could have been a good Manager with an old head at number two.
Manager Interviews: Paul Simpson on 14:08 - Feb 4 with 1586 viewsAtThePeake

Manager Interviews: Paul Simpson on 13:04 - Feb 4 by D_Alien

The write-up itself is well put-together, but alongside Kevin Townson there was the obvious matter of one Paddy McCourt by way of omission

The best that can be said is that his player-management skills were as yet undeveloped, and tbf, he does seem to acknowledge naivety but rather in administrative functions than the way he was unable to accommodate outstanding (if wayward) talent

Spot on. We had a generational talent in Paddy who was best deployed on the left. That was also Simpson's best position. So then he signed Lee Hodges with the majority of his remaining budget - who played on the left. We were left with three quality left-wingers and no central midfielders.

Tangled up in blue.

Manager Interviews: Paul Simpson on 14:42 - Feb 4 with 1535 viewsfitzochris

A lot of stuff was off the table with Simpson, sadly. He didn't want to talk directly about Kevin or Paddy - or any individual player, for that matter.

I've tried to reflect and balance the good and bad points of his tenure in the interests of fairness (not easy when you're a supporter).

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Manager Interviews: Paul Simpson on 15:14 - Feb 4 with 1470 viewsjudd

Super stuff, Fitzo.

How times have changed with regards the financial rewards of cup runs.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Manager Interviews: Paul Simpson on 16:06 - Feb 4 with 1408 viewsrochdaleriddler

Manager Interviews: Paul Simpson on 15:14 - Feb 4 by judd

Super stuff, Fitzo.

How times have changed with regards the financial rewards of cup runs.

Shrewsbury built their training complex from their cup tie with Utd a few years ago £1 million. We can’t afford a freddo with ours

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Login to get fewer ads

Manager Interviews: Paul Simpson on 18:10 - Feb 4 with 1285 viewsD_Alien

Manager Interviews: Paul Simpson on 16:06 - Feb 4 by rochdaleriddler

Shrewsbury built their training complex from their cup tie with Utd a few years ago £1 million. We can’t afford a freddo with ours

We don't need any more midfielders

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Manager Interviews: Paul Simpson on 19:25 - Feb 4 with 1195 views49thseason

That season should have been the one that John Hollins got us promoted. The farce of his faxed contract should never have arisen. Bringing in Simpson was a typical Rochdale move, cheap and penny pinching. Hollins was a breath of fresh air when he arrived, well liked, knowledgable and had the team playing some fantastic football. A huge opportunity spurrned by the club.
Manager Interviews: Paul Simpson on 20:22 - Feb 4 with 1116 views442Dale

Manager Interviews: Paul Simpson on 19:25 - Feb 4 by 49thseason

That season should have been the one that John Hollins got us promoted. The farce of his faxed contract should never have arisen. Bringing in Simpson was a typical Rochdale move, cheap and penny pinching. Hollins was a breath of fresh air when he arrived, well liked, knowledgable and had the team playing some fantastic football. A huge opportunity spurrned by the club.

Hollins was an average manager, nothing more or less. Some of the games prior to that 5-4 v York were dire, including a 0-0 away against the same opponents that’s up there as one of the worst I’ve ever seen.

He managed to get it right and ensure a play-off spot and the signings of McLaughlin and Simpson were very good, however his team managed 10 wins from 25 games and a squad that should have gone up, didn’t.

Paddy and Simpson were the reasons for memorable entertainment in the second half of that season.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Manager Interviews: Paul Simpson on 20:50 - Feb 4 with 1070 viewsTVOS1907

Manager Interviews: Paul Simpson on 20:22 - Feb 4 by 442Dale

Hollins was an average manager, nothing more or less. Some of the games prior to that 5-4 v York were dire, including a 0-0 away against the same opponents that’s up there as one of the worst I’ve ever seen.

He managed to get it right and ensure a play-off spot and the signings of McLaughlin and Simpson were very good, however his team managed 10 wins from 25 games and a squad that should have gone up, didn’t.

Paddy and Simpson were the reasons for memorable entertainment in the second half of that season.

And would you believe, tomorrow is the 18th anniversary of that 5-4 v York?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Manager Interviews: Paul Simpson on 11:21 - Feb 5 with 852 viewsChaffRAFC

Manager Interviews: Paul Simpson on 20:50 - Feb 4 by TVOS1907

And would you believe, tomorrow is the 18th anniversary of that 5-4 v York?

That pass from Paddy....

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Manager Interviews: Paul Simpson on 12:30 - Feb 5 with 810 viewsAtThePeake

Manager Interviews: Paul Simpson on 11:21 - Feb 5 by ChaffRAFC

That pass from Paddy....

My heart.

Tangled up in blue.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024