Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Quick look at the financial statements 13:32 - Dec 28 with 20390 viewsNigeriamark

As I mentioned in another post I have put together some of the data from the financial statements in a table & will give a simple/factual statement as to what they dhow. Clearly what we can do in the future is still a better of opinion but at least this gives a view on what the state of finances are as of end of May 2018. Unfortunately this is the first year where very detailed information is given, but I have looked at the balance sheet for the last 10 years which gives some insights.

I have attempted to explain how to look at these from the point of view of someone who may not be familiar with these documents so sorry if some of the explanations seem obvious

Table 1 - 2017 & 18 full financials

To May 18 To May 17
Gross Rev 5,412,000 6,000,000
Cost of sales -3,830,000 -3,161,000
Admin costs -1,943,000 -1,563,000
Distribution costs -31,000 0
Other income/loss 108,000 133,000
Intrest payable/received -23,000 -45,000
Total Profit/Loss -307,000 1,364,000
Exceptional income 1,429,000 -2,330,000
P/L on normal business -1,736,000 -966,000
Net assets 2,571,000 2,878,000

Table 2 - Exceptional items
2018 2017
Transfer fees 711,000 2,166,000
TV Money 455,000 17,000
Prize money 263,000 147,000
Total. 1, 429,000. 2,330,000

Table 3 - Increase in asset value last 10 years

GBP Assets
to May 18 -307,000 2,571,000
To May 17 1,356,000 2,878,000
to May 16 -419,000 1,522,000
to May 15 1,426,000 1,941,000
to May 14 -65,000 515,000
to May 13 -372,000 580,000
to May 12 353,000 952,000
to May 11 480,000 599,000
to May 10 143,000 119,000
To May 09 -24,000

I have split the next section into 3, How to read financials ( very basic) followed by what I think the Rochdale financials are saying ( mainly factual + some reasonable "guestimates", and finally a brief summary

READING FINANCIALS
Although gross revenue is important, it is not relevant until you take away what you have spent. This gives us the net revenue, which is also called profit or loss. This is the money that if you run at a profit you can put into your bank and if you run at a loss you need to take out of your bank. Many companies will look at this from 2 perspectives:-

1. How the " normal" operation is running - This looks only at income and expenditure that is predictable and occurs every year. This would include gate money, sponsorships, EFL money etc as incomes and Salaries, maintenance etc. This profit loss on normal business is an indication of the general health of the business and if positive means that you are not requiring something that cannot be guaranteed to happen to balance the books

2. Total operation - This is as above but then adds in items that are not guaranteed to happen. For income this could be Transfer fees and sell ons received, Money from drawing a big club in a cup etc. For expenditure this could be a fee paid for a player. If positive and you are running a positive normal operation this would be considered " cream on top" and could be used to fund something not initially planned. If normal business is negative then you would need to use this additional income to cover the loss

Unfortunately we only have exceptional item breakdown for 2018 & 2017 so hard to judge trends

3. Table 3 - Increase/decrease in assets
Although we do not have full financials, we have the asset value over 10 years. In 2009 the club had a negative value but over the last 10 years we have recorded a total of approx 2.6m profit so we stand as of May 2018 with assets of 2.571m. Although this is an average of 260,000 a year, it is not a smooth increase but swings dramatically between + 1.4m and - 400,000. We can estimate below the reason for this

WHAT DO THE FINANCIALS SEEM TO BE SAYING
1. Normal Business. The club has lost about 2.7m over 2017 & 2018 or approx 110,000 per month. Revenue from gates actually increased slightly, but Salaries jumped significantly as did Admin cost. It would seem that as a result of a large transfer/sell in 2017, the club then pushed out the boat on players or other staff
Based on the fact that we have never had massive increases in staff, income, crowds etc I would estimate that we have probably incurred losses on normal business in most if not all of the last 10 years

2. Total Business. After over 110 years of business, we find ourselves with assets of approx 2.6m a figure also earned over the last 10 years. The fact that year end 2015 and 2017 account for more than this amount and the fact that we have full details of 2017 show that the biggest individual factor in getting to where we are is not the way the club runs it's normal business, but its dependence on exceptional items. This is not regular though and it is primarily through these 2 exceptional years ( not sure which transfers or sell ons would be hear). Prize money and TV money is also contributing, but it is the transfers that have got us to where we are. We have still lost money in 4 of the last 9 years even with all the windfalls

3. Assets. These would confirm my above points. Most of the normal business is under our control and the nature of the market we compete in suggest that although I don't have the detail, it is likely to have followed a similar loss making pattern. I would guess that in league 2 the gross revenue and costs were lower but we also did not achieve the same level of income from TV money, transfers etc. As a result we would have been running losses but not 110,000 per month

SUMMARY
1. Rochdale is a loss making club based on normal business and I would estimate probably always have been. In an effort to stay in league 1 we have "pushed out the boat" since the league 2 days, but increases in revenue from ticket sales will probably not have got anywhere near covering this. Sponsorships increased in 2018 but with lack of detailed data before 2017 it is hard to see if this is a trend

2. Unlike earlier years we have been relatively successful in the selling market, but not every year. As a result we have turned normal losses into a profit and our assets have risen. If we are to maintain the squad, level of spending we incur in league 1 we are going to have to "guarantee" a supply of players that we can sell on at a profit ( + try to win cup ties for prize money and a possibility of money spinning ties)

Over the last 5 years we seem to have a set of financials that a lot of EFL clubs would love, but it is dependent on continuing with our "selling club" model. It is not a lack of ambition but a financial imperative, much that it pisses of many fans.

My final comments would be based on "appetite for risk". You can take my data and moving forward justify any course of action based on your personal appetite for risk. For example:-

1. We could buy players in January or hand money back to fans with lower cup tie tickets and justify this by saying we believe we will continue to be successful in identifying and selling on talent

2. We could manage with what we have ( or free transfers) and maximise ticket prizes with the justification that transfers could dry up and we need to take a less risky policy in terms of what we spend.

That is why for example no-one is actually wrong if they say the Newcastle tickets should be 22 or 27 GBP. It depends on what you believe in terms of where we are now, what the future holds ( which no-one knows), and what your personal risk profile is

Clearly like everyone else I have a view of what we should do going forward, but in the interest of trying to make this factual view of the numbers I won't be the first to comment

This email is long enough but happy to answer any questions. For some of the more detailed numbers (. salaries etc 2017 & 18) , I have added a link at the bottom

1 question I would like to know is what "Admin" includes as it is a large amount & has increased. If I have this info I could probably do a better analysis but at this stage I have assumed it is part of normal business

https://s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/document-api-images-live.ch.gov.uk/docs/wfryK

[Post edited 28 Dec 2019 13:35]
Quick look at the financial statements on 13:37 - Dec 28 with 7439 viewsNigeriamark

PS. Now I have posted this the headings of the 3 tables do not line up even though they do in the edit view. Hopefully you can work them out !!
Quick look at the financial statements on 14:22 - Dec 28 with 7339 viewstony_roch975

Quick look at the financial statements on 13:37 - Dec 28 by Nigeriamark

PS. Now I have posted this the headings of the 3 tables do not line up even though they do in the edit view. Hopefully you can work them out !!

Admin includes all non-player/coaching costs like heat/light, travel/accommodation, admin staff wages, kit, pitch maintenance etc

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Quick look at the financial statements on 14:25 - Dec 28 with 7320 viewsDalenet

Quick look at the financial statements on 13:37 - Dec 28 by Nigeriamark

Thank you for sharing this. So we have costs of c£5.8m and normal income of about £4m. So a trading loss of c£1.8m pa before cup money, TV money and player sales. If admin costs include non playing staff and the pitch etc, looks like we had a playing budget of more than £3m in 2018 before the cuts this season. That would be more than the 60% cap before the exceptional income. Without exceptional income every year we are screwed. That answers many questions about the playing budget needing to be cut.

And as for the Newcastle game. Looks like we will sell 8,000 plus tickets at the higher prices. If we had sold out at the lower prices (questionable) we would be worse off financially by at least £20k. And it looks like that money is needed.

I have always said that a relegation to Div 2 would kill us, We would lose around £1m in league and TV funds and that would need to come straight off the playing budget looking at this. We'd not even be able to compete in the Conference I would suggest. Imperative we find a way to cut costs where possible now and spend a bit of cash to strengthen the team in a couple of areas to survive this relegation battle.

I can see why DB is looking for external investment to support the next stage of development.
Quick look at the financial statements on 14:30 - Dec 28 with 7293 viewsD_Alien

Quick look at the financial statements on 14:25 - Dec 28 by Dalenet

Thank you for sharing this. So we have costs of c£5.8m and normal income of about £4m. So a trading loss of c£1.8m pa before cup money, TV money and player sales. If admin costs include non playing staff and the pitch etc, looks like we had a playing budget of more than £3m in 2018 before the cuts this season. That would be more than the 60% cap before the exceptional income. Without exceptional income every year we are screwed. That answers many questions about the playing budget needing to be cut.

And as for the Newcastle game. Looks like we will sell 8,000 plus tickets at the higher prices. If we had sold out at the lower prices (questionable) we would be worse off financially by at least £20k. And it looks like that money is needed.

I have always said that a relegation to Div 2 would kill us, We would lose around £1m in league and TV funds and that would need to come straight off the playing budget looking at this. We'd not even be able to compete in the Conference I would suggest. Imperative we find a way to cut costs where possible now and spend a bit of cash to strengthen the team in a couple of areas to survive this relegation battle.

I can see why DB is looking for external investment to support the next stage of development.

And that's pretty much what i'm expecting DB to put forward in the forum presentation on 13 Jan

Well done to Nigeriamark and all who've contributed to this analysis of our financials ahead of that event

The devil, as they say, is in the detail of exactly what external investment will involve
[Post edited 28 Dec 2019 14:32]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Quick look at the financial statements on 14:33 - Dec 28 with 7244 viewsDaleyBrent

This is a great read and provides some much needed insight.

In my opinion, we have to be a selling club. This isn’t an insult to our ambition as long as it is managed correctly like Peterborough & Brentford do it. However, it seems we have deviated Away from that model in the last few years. Less gambles on young premier league talent/non-league gems.

Selling Adshead for 300k is criminal though. Peterborough would have got £1m +!!

There has to be a compromise which we aren’t reaching at the minute.
Quick look at the financial statements on 14:38 - Dec 28 with 7248 viewsNigeriamark

The new format of the financials are very good but 2018 is the first year ( I was a bit surprised). It is now 30 pages instead of 10 including a bit of strategy by the club. DB and the club have identified relegation to league 2 as the biggest threat. However I would suggest that transfers drying up is an equal threat. both will have a dramatic affect on profit & start that vicious circle of cost cutting which means lower quality squad which means lower league position etc etc
Quick look at the financial statements on 14:40 - Dec 28 with 7249 viewsfitzochris

Quick look at the financial statements on 14:33 - Dec 28 by DaleyBrent

This is a great read and provides some much needed insight.

In my opinion, we have to be a selling club. This isn’t an insult to our ambition as long as it is managed correctly like Peterborough & Brentford do it. However, it seems we have deviated Away from that model in the last few years. Less gambles on young premier league talent/non-league gems.

Selling Adshead for 300k is criminal though. Peterborough would have got £1m +!!

There has to be a compromise which we aren’t reaching at the minute.

Also there is income that we are still owed, such as the Dawson money. It’s impossible to have a 100% accurate picture at any given time because of these variables.

However, the financial statements do give a good picture as to how we are run overall.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Quick look at the financial statements on 14:42 - Dec 28 with 7237 viewstony_roch975

summed up accurately and as Col, me and others posted on the Sack the Board thread. External investment may be tempting but its costs can be even worse - ask Bury!

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Login to get fewer ads

Quick look at the financial statements on 15:25 - Dec 28 with 7140 viewsCleedale

Just to say many thanks for your efforts Nigeriamark.

Perhaps a bit of "better the devil you know" but I think the majority of savvy fans realised the score with our finances.

Know how depleted we are at present, squad wise, but let's hope the New Year will bring success on and off the pitch and we are able to hold on to our status as a L1 side.
Quick look at the financial statements on 17:04 - Dec 28 with 7009 viewsYouTubeDale

Quick look at the financial statements on 14:40 - Dec 28 by fitzochris

Also there is income that we are still owed, such as the Dawson money. It’s impossible to have a 100% accurate picture at any given time because of these variables.

However, the financial statements do give a good picture as to how we are run overall.

If we are owed Dawson money as at 31 May 2018 then it would be sat on the balance sheet as an asset in the debtors figure and recorded in the profit and loss in the transfer sales figure..

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

Quick look at the financial statements on 17:13 - Dec 28 with 6981 viewsDorislove

Quick look at the financial statements on 17:04 - Dec 28 by YouTubeDale

If we are owed Dawson money as at 31 May 2018 then it would be sat on the balance sheet as an asset in the debtors figure and recorded in the profit and loss in the transfer sales figure..

Dawson was sold on 1 july 2019 ,he wont be on the 2019 accounts never mind the 2018 accounts.
WBA to Watford im on about.975,000
[Post edited 28 Dec 2019 17:14]
Quick look at the financial statements on 17:55 - Dec 28 with 6875 viewsboromat

Quick look at the financial statements on 14:22 - Dec 28 by tony_roch975

Admin includes all non-player/coaching costs like heat/light, travel/accommodation, admin staff wages, kit, pitch maintenance etc

Would admin costs also include agent fees? I know they've been creeping up.

The other reason for admin costs going up could be the additional admin involved in owning all the bars/pubs.

I think most of us probably knew what these figures tell us. The club have been quite open about the fact Hill was getting and increased budget and then BBM had to put up with a much reduced budget. I think they could probably be a bit more open about the reasons for such changes. I understand there's a competitiveness issue around sharing too much info, but a bit more of a picture would help fans understand and be on side.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Quick look at the financial statements on 18:25 - Dec 28 with 6798 viewsjudd

Please do not think the club seeking significant external investment is a recent initiative - far from it.

The difference now is that we have gone public.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Quick look at the financial statements on 18:33 - Dec 28 with 6776 viewsD_Alien

Quick look at the financial statements on 18:25 - Dec 28 by judd

Please do not think the club seeking significant external investment is a recent initiative - far from it.

The difference now is that we have gone public.

By "recent", are you referring to the current Chair/CEO combo, or a previous regime which sought external investment?

Edit: just to clarify that, do you mean the current regime has previously sought external investment but has only recently gone public? Or something else?
[Post edited 28 Dec 2019 18:45]

Quick look at the financial statements on 18:58 - Dec 28 with 6702 viewsjudd

Quick look at the financial statements on 18:33 - Dec 28 by D_Alien

By "recent", are you referring to the current Chair/CEO combo, or a previous regime which sought external investment?

Edit: just to clarify that, do you mean the current regime has previously sought external investment but has only recently gone public? Or something else?
[Post edited 28 Dec 2019 18:45]

Under Chris Dunphy. I am aware of overtures being made locally.

I also know that we had investment lined up when we looked like we might have a tilt at the championship a few years ago. It did depend on us getting promotion.

I do wonder if our current public utterances do come across as us being for sale, which is causing some concern among Dale fans with one eye on bury. That is not an accusation, but a mere ponderance.

Quick look at the financial statements on 19:37 - Dec 28 with 6634 viewsRAFCBLUE

Quick look at the financial statements on 18:58 - Dec 28 by judd

Under Chris Dunphy. I am aware of overtures being made locally.

I also know that we had investment lined up when we looked like we might have a tilt at the championship a few years ago. It did depend on us getting promotion.

I do wonder if our current public utterances do come across as us being for sale, which is causing some concern among Dale fans with one eye on bury. That is not an accusation, but a mere ponderance.

“Seeking Investment” implies “providing return on investment”.

That’s a dangerous philosophy not just for Rochdale but generally in football.

I can’t think of a club outside of the Championship which is an investment, nor a club which is not a cash drain for its investors.

We could, for example, get some funding by mortgaging the ground - but as we have seen, the destiny moves then to those with a right of claim on the asset.

If you look at the houses built on what used to be the Church, there’s a huge footprint for building at Spotland.

I can’t see anyone ever rocking up at Spotland to invest.

If they are offering a return on investment then I’d love to see what the proposal is.

We have been lucky for 30+ years post Tommy Cannon that the security of the club has been at the heart of its philosophy. The fact the club had a net worth of £2.5m at May 2018 is testament to the hard work of many

The idea we could get into the Championship with the current mindset is only ever likely to be a dream.

And our neighbours from Heywood are always the reminder of how easy it is to f**k it up when chasing an unachievable dream.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Quick look at the financial statements on 19:44 - Dec 28 with 6613 viewsfermin

Quick look at the financial statements on 14:38 - Dec 28 by Nigeriamark

The new format of the financials are very good but 2018 is the first year ( I was a bit surprised). It is now 30 pages instead of 10 including a bit of strategy by the club. DB and the club have identified relegation to league 2 as the biggest threat. However I would suggest that transfers drying up is an equal threat. both will have a dramatic affect on profit & start that vicious circle of cost cutting which means lower quality squad which means lower league position etc etc

The full details are on the accounts sent to shareholders (like me) but they have only been put on the Companies House website for the last two years. Previously they just published the abbreviated accounts like most other clubs.

I have pdfs of the full accounts going back to YE 31/5/2013 (which includes some previous years figures for YE 31/5/2012). I did an analysis of the headline items, but unfortunately they are on my work computer. I could probably email you the pdfs if they are allowed to be shared outside shareholders - I don't see why not, but I am not sure.

From memory these figures show, as you say, that, we rely on extraordinary income to keep us vaguely competitive. I have always believed the club's financial model was to save up windfalls to tide things over when there aren't any rather than splurge it all on a very large wage bill. Our wage bill has gone up a lot in recent years. I suppose people's opinion on the current situation depends on how prudent you think the club is being ie is the Man Utd money being used to cover past and projected losses or is it extra money which should be spent now. I have tended to think that the club has a lot of fixed costs which have to be met and that these can be underestimated, but I am a naturally cautious person.
Quick look at the financial statements on 19:52 - Dec 28 with 6580 viewsCleedale

I think it could have been Keith Clegg, club secretary, being interviewed pre-Northampton or Palace (30 years ago) and saying that we needed some idiot to come along with £2 million? hanging out his back pocket.

Know it's such a long time ago but seems like we need that extra every season now just to compete in the bottom half of L1; unless of course we keep bringing through our own on lower wages and then selling on. (Obv. talked about in depth above).
Quick look at the financial statements on 19:59 - Dec 28 with 6561 viewsD_Alien

Quick look at the financial statements on 19:44 - Dec 28 by fermin

The full details are on the accounts sent to shareholders (like me) but they have only been put on the Companies House website for the last two years. Previously they just published the abbreviated accounts like most other clubs.

I have pdfs of the full accounts going back to YE 31/5/2013 (which includes some previous years figures for YE 31/5/2012). I did an analysis of the headline items, but unfortunately they are on my work computer. I could probably email you the pdfs if they are allowed to be shared outside shareholders - I don't see why not, but I am not sure.

From memory these figures show, as you say, that, we rely on extraordinary income to keep us vaguely competitive. I have always believed the club's financial model was to save up windfalls to tide things over when there aren't any rather than splurge it all on a very large wage bill. Our wage bill has gone up a lot in recent years. I suppose people's opinion on the current situation depends on how prudent you think the club is being ie is the Man Utd money being used to cover past and projected losses or is it extra money which should be spent now. I have tended to think that the club has a lot of fixed costs which have to be met and that these can be underestimated, but I am a naturally cautious person.

Although like you i'm of a cautious mindset financially, if - in the opinion of the board, as mooted earlier in the thread - the biggest financial threat to Dale is relegation it would be the height of folly not to allow a manager to recruit to strengthen a depleted and struggling squad

The balance to be drawn here is very fine indeed. And you need excellent balance to walk a tightrope, which the planning for this season seems to have resulted in. We've had our luck in there only being 3 teams for the drop and one of those severely hampered

Quick look at the financial statements on 20:03 - Dec 28 with 6543 viewsJames1980

What would an investor expect by way of return? A dividend a stand named after them or their name on the deeds to the ground?
Maybe someone with enough funds to allow us to keep our best players would be good. However one of the reasons players sign for us is we don't hold them back if they have an opportunity to progress.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Quick look at the financial statements on 20:07 - Dec 28 with 6535 viewsRAFCBLUE

Quick look at the financial statements on 19:52 - Dec 28 by Cleedale

I think it could have been Keith Clegg, club secretary, being interviewed pre-Northampton or Palace (30 years ago) and saying that we needed some idiot to come along with £2 million? hanging out his back pocket.

Know it's such a long time ago but seems like we need that extra every season now just to compete in the bottom half of L1; unless of course we keep bringing through our own on lower wages and then selling on. (Obv. talked about in depth above).

https://www.footy.com/footballers-vs-the-fans/#efl-league-one

This is the data for average wage paid per week for the season ended May 2018 by club.

We do have a competitive budget - certainly not bottom 4 for League 1.

Our problem will be how that budget is being concentrated - I’d imagine Henderson, Done, Wilbraham and Andrew are on well above that average; our kids being on well below it.

A better question is what the investment is being sought for. We own our ground now, so it can’t be for that.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2019 20:09]

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/

Quick look at the financial statements on 20:11 - Dec 28 with 6521 viewsRAFCBLUE

Quick look at the financial statements on 20:03 - Dec 28 by James1980

What would an investor expect by way of return? A dividend a stand named after them or their name on the deeds to the ground?
Maybe someone with enough funds to allow us to keep our best players would be good. However one of the reasons players sign for us is we don't hold them back if they have an opportunity to progress.

If we use the lot down the road, Steve Dale is on for making over £1m from his investment of £1 plus the debts of bury fc.

A philanthropic investor would have to be a fan and I’m not sure philanthropy is the reason behind most owners in League 1; some possibly but not the majority.

Quick look at the financial statements on 20:13 - Dec 28 with 6512 viewsjudd

Quick look at the financial statements on 20:07 - Dec 28 by RAFCBLUE

This is the data for average wage paid per week for the season ended May 2018 by club.

Our problem will be how that budget is being concentrated - I’d imagine Henderson, Done, Wilbraham and Andrew are on well above that average; our kids being on well below it.

A better question is what the investment is being sought for. We own our ground now, so it can’t be for that.

One thing is for sure - you simply have to admire and be grateful for those prepared to put themselves up for a directorship at Dale, especially those who work unpaid.

That they continue to deliver professional football at this level to an undeserving town is more than just commendable.

With regards "seeking investment" - I guess there are options such as transfer fee cut, TV fees cut, cup prize money cut as a means of paying back capital investments. I expect that it will take investors with a similar mindset to fans - don't expect much in return but don't push me too far else I'm off.

Quick look at the financial statements on 20:17 - Dec 28 with 6508 viewsCleedale

Quick look at the financial statements on 20:07 - Dec 28 by RAFCBLUE

Very interesting link that RAFC. But how do they get that sort of information from the clubs or is it leaked; always thought it was under wraps?

Your final para is the sort of thing that needs raising at the FF; again and again...
Quick look at the financial statements on 20:18 - Dec 28 with 6503 viewsjudd

Quick look at the financial statements on 20:17 - Dec 28 by Cleedale

Very interesting link that RAFC. But how do they get that sort of information from the clubs or is it leaked; always thought it was under wraps?

Your final para is the sort of thing that needs raising at the FF; again and again...

It will be the need for cash flow.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024