Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Macclesfield Town celebrate 08:15 - Jun 20 with 1270 viewsBigKindo

League Two: Macclesfield deducted points but avoid relegation to National League

Macclesfield Town will finish 23rd in League Two despite having 13 points deducted in the 2019-20 season
Macclesfield Town will remain in the English Football League despite a two-point deduction for breaches of regulations over non-payment of wages.

A deduction of three points or more by an independent panel would have seen the Silkmen drop below Stevenage and be relegated into the National League.

The decision leaves Macclesfield 23rd in League Two after the application of the points-per-game formula agreed by clubs earlier this month.

They have also been fined £20,000.

As well as being ordered to cover payment of the legal costs related to the latest hearing, the Silkmen have been given an additional four-point penalty, but that is suspended and carried forward to the 2020-21 season.

A Macclesfield statement said: "We would like to express our gratitude to the independent arbitration panel for their unquestionable diligence, in reaching what we deem to be a fair and unbiased conclusion."

The latest punishment relates to late payment of wages for March and it is the third time Macclesfield have been deducted points during the 2019-20 campaign.

December 2019: A 10-point deduction, with four suspended, for non-payment of salaries and failing to fulfil a fixture against Crewe. In March, this was reduced to a seven-point penalty with three suspended after Macclesfield appealed. It meant the club were deducted four points with immediate effect.
May 2020: A seven-point deduction for failing to play a match against Plymouth and non-payment of wages, including the suspended three points from the first case being applied to the second punishment. That took the total deduction for the season to 11 points. A further two-point deduction was suspended.
June 2020: That two-point deduction was activated by the latest ruling - taking the season's total deduction to 13 points.
Stevenage's only hope of a reprieve now is if the National League is unable to assure the EFL Board that their 2020-21 season is able to go ahead.

Macclesfield Town celebrate on 08:34 - Jun 20 with 1232 viewsDalenet

Still can't help but think that different punishments are handed out to clubs based on size and historic status. Anyway I fail to see how fining a club £20,000 when it hasn't been able to pay wages for many months will do anything to keep them alive. All quite a desperate and sad state. Meanwhile the Premier League clubs block book entire hotels to keep players safe a day before a match that is just a few hundred miles away.
Macclesfield Town celebrate on 08:57 - Jun 20 with 1191 viewsboromat

Macclesfield Town celebrate on 08:34 - Jun 20 by Dalenet

Still can't help but think that different punishments are handed out to clubs based on size and historic status. Anyway I fail to see how fining a club £20,000 when it hasn't been able to pay wages for many months will do anything to keep them alive. All quite a desperate and sad state. Meanwhile the Premier League clubs block book entire hotels to keep players safe a day before a match that is just a few hundred miles away.

I hate the system of fining clubs in financial trouble. It's massively counter productive. There are other more appropriate punishments.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Macclesfield Town celebrate on 09:19 - Jun 20 with 1151 viewsdawlishdale

Macclesfield Town celebrate on 08:57 - Jun 20 by boromat

I hate the system of fining clubs in financial trouble. It's massively counter productive. There are other more appropriate punishments.

Fully agree. A more imaginative punishment (such as enforced community service by the club) would be far more beneficial to the community and probably the club themselves.

it's a shame that Macc are in such a mess... a wealthy catchment area should be able to produce enough supporters willing to help financially, instead of them all following Manure and Citeh.
Macclesfield Town celebrate on 09:28 - Jun 20 with 1137 viewsjonahwhereru

I think they are very lucky to still be in the league. Any club with there number of transgressions and points deductions is failing to demonstrate they are worthy of league status imo.

I live in Southend and I think they are treading the same path to lacking credibility to remain a member of the league.
Macclesfield Town celebrate on 09:58 - Jun 20 with 1082 viewsboromat

Yeah I don't know the ins and outs at Macclesfield but I don't think they are in the 'cheating' group. And by that I mean they don't seem to have players on ridiculous wages etc. It seems more they just don't have the fans and resources to support a LG2 club. A real shame with like you say being surrounded by affluent areas but seems they're not as interested, the fan base is very much more the working class section of Macc.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Macclesfield Town celebrate on 10:40 - Jun 20 with 1020 viewsfrenzied

I'm delighted they've survived for now

Rogue owner syndrome again

They still owe money to at least 2 ex managers.
Macclesfield Town celebrate on 13:46 - Jun 20 with 902 viewsNorthernDale

The problem Macclesfield have got is a owner who seems a bit dodgy to say the least and he will keeps agreeing to sell and then delays the decision, and reading their forum, many wonder if he is trying to hide something. We have been fortunate that we have not had such a dodgy owner like the Macclesfield owner or the last two owners of Bury, so far, that is why I am worried about the Altman purchase of the shares in the Dale.

I feel sorry for the fans, who turn up every week in all weathers to support their local team and to find the club being destroyed by owner, who never apparently rarely attends the home games.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024