Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nhs Volunteer army 04:24 - Mar 25 with 2640 viewsfrenzied

Like many others I’m sure I have been furloughed by the retail organisation I work for.

Perfectly understandable our till take is effectively zero per month from 85k per month.

At least the government scheme gives us something rather than redundancy ..although it can’t go on indefinitely

So I hope others will sign up for the above.its a v simple online application..may help to keep us sane whilst supporting those far less fortunate.
Nhs Volunteer army on 11:33 - Mar 25 with 2465 viewsrod_leach

My first thougth was would these volunteers be tested first?
The last thing we need is an army of 250,000 volunteers spreading the virus further than they would do if they stayed at home, as advised.
Nhs Volunteer army on 11:41 - Mar 25 with 2451 viewsDaleiLama

Nhs Volunteer army on 11:33 - Mar 25 by rod_leach

The last thing we need is an army of 250,000 volunteers spreading the virus further than they would do if they stayed at home, as advised.

There aren't enough test kits available. So no.
Footballers, football managers and even princes have access to test kits, as do those who can pay a Harley Street doctor £375, but front line workers? This isn't a political dig. It would be the same for any party I have no doubt.
[Post edited 25 Mar 2020 11:46]

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Nhs Volunteer army on 12:16 - Mar 25 with 2396 viewsD_Alien

Nhs Volunteer army on 11:41 - Mar 25 by DaleiLama

There aren't enough test kits available. So no.
Footballers, football managers and even princes have access to test kits, as do those who can pay a Harley Street doctor £375, but front line workers? This isn't a political dig. It would be the same for any party I have no doubt.
[Post edited 25 Mar 2020 11:46]

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/exposed-the-doctor-who-got-2-5m-in-a-week-fro

This guy should be struck off at the earliest possible opportunity, and if it's possible, prosecuted, but i fear there's nothing (currently) in law that would enable that. At the very least, HMRC should investigate

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Nhs Volunteer army on 12:34 - Mar 25 with 2377 viewsTalkingSutty

Front line workers need testing ,things are starting to come to a head ,or they will be doing in the next few weeks. As a Pharmacy delivery driver there are more and more people self isolating and 1.8 million vulnerable people are being told to stay indoors for 12 weeks, they all need their medication delivering . Pharmacies are absolutely working at full pelt to provide the medication and deliver it but the system is creaking big time now. .

My wife is a front line nurse and is working double shifts because of staff shortages,sickness. Last week she left the house at 0650hrs ands returned home at 2245 hrs , she brought her packed lunch home with her because there wasn’t time to have a break, it’s happened a few times now.. To say I’m worried about her and the other nurses and doctors etc is a understatement, they are frightened to death because for a start they don’t have the proper equipment and obviously none of them have been tested for the virus...lambs to the slaughter comes to the mind. We are both resigned to the fact that we will probably contract the virus at some stage..but that could be the case for most of us, who knows!

Coronavirus is with is, it’s in our towns and hospitals and it’s not even properly started yet. The front line workers need testing but it’s not being done. In the meantime a percentage of the public can’t even be arsed staying in their house in an attempt to take the pressure off the NHS and when they do leave home they strip the supermarkets bare, its humanity at its most selfish. When this is all over let’s remember who the United Kingdom’s real heroes and roll models are ...it’s our nurses and doctors, NHS staff who are literally putting their life’s on the line at this moment in time. If people do have the time to step forward and volunteer to help then that would be a badge of honour you could carry around with you for a lifetime, i know not everybody is able to do it though. Staying at home and social distancing is also contributing to the fight, just by doing that people are indirectly saving life’s.
[Post edited 25 Mar 2020 12:44]
Nhs Volunteer army on 12:48 - Mar 25 with 2353 viewsDiddyDave

Nhs Volunteer army on 12:34 - Mar 25 by TalkingSutty

Front line workers need testing ,things are starting to come to a head ,or they will be doing in the next few weeks. As a Pharmacy delivery driver there are more and more people self isolating and 1.8 million vulnerable people are being told to stay indoors for 12 weeks, they all need their medication delivering . Pharmacies are absolutely working at full pelt to provide the medication and deliver it but the system is creaking big time now. .

My wife is a front line nurse and is working double shifts because of staff shortages,sickness. Last week she left the house at 0650hrs ands returned home at 2245 hrs , she brought her packed lunch home with her because there wasn’t time to have a break, it’s happened a few times now.. To say I’m worried about her and the other nurses and doctors etc is a understatement, they are frightened to death because for a start they don’t have the proper equipment and obviously none of them have been tested for the virus...lambs to the slaughter comes to the mind. We are both resigned to the fact that we will probably contract the virus at some stage..but that could be the case for most of us, who knows!

Coronavirus is with is, it’s in our towns and hospitals and it’s not even properly started yet. The front line workers need testing but it’s not being done. In the meantime a percentage of the public can’t even be arsed staying in their house in an attempt to take the pressure off the NHS and when they do leave home they strip the supermarkets bare, its humanity at its most selfish. When this is all over let’s remember who the United Kingdom’s real heroes and roll models are ...it’s our nurses and doctors, NHS staff who are literally putting their life’s on the line at this moment in time. If people do have the time to step forward and volunteer to help then that would be a badge of honour you could carry around with you for a lifetime, i know not everybody is able to do it though. Staying at home and social distancing is also contributing to the fight, just by doing that people are indirectly saving life’s.

Really feeling for you and your wife at this appalling time. It`s always the "ordinary" people who are left to carry on the fight,whether it be war or this new enemy who stays hidden in the darkness,waiting to pounce on some unsuspecting victim. You say lambs to the slaughter,I couldn`t have put it better myself,but the real heroes like your missus will keep going because they know they have to,it`s in their genes,god bless `em.
Nhs Volunteer army on 12:58 - Mar 25 with 2329 viewsTalkingSutty

Nhs Volunteer army on 12:48 - Mar 25 by DiddyDave

Really feeling for you and your wife at this appalling time. It`s always the "ordinary" people who are left to carry on the fight,whether it be war or this new enemy who stays hidden in the darkness,waiting to pounce on some unsuspecting victim. You say lambs to the slaughter,I couldn`t have put it better myself,but the real heroes like your missus will keep going because they know they have to,it`s in their genes,god bless `em.

Thanks for that, I know of many fellow Dale fans who are also fighting the fight on the front line, football seems a million miles away at this moment in time.
Nhs Volunteer army on 13:20 - Mar 25 with 2292 viewsfrenzied

one of the roles volunteers can take up is a telephone service to keep in touch with those isolated and lonely
The shopping and delivering aspect has strict conditions on how this is done..social distancing etc
The role of transporting people to appts obviously presents a level of risk

you can choose your role
Nhs Volunteer army on 13:25 - Mar 25 with 2273 viewsShun

I’ve been on the front line since it started, and have been in regular physical contact with people confirmed to have it, and I haven’t even been tested yet, so I doubt it! As long as I remain asymptomatic our protocol is just to continue onwards.
Login to get fewer ads

Nhs Volunteer army on 13:31 - Mar 25 with 2255 viewsD_Alien

Nhs Volunteer army on 13:25 - Mar 25 by Shun

I’ve been on the front line since it started, and have been in regular physical contact with people confirmed to have it, and I haven’t even been tested yet, so I doubt it! As long as I remain asymptomatic our protocol is just to continue onwards.

Please keep us in touch with how and when the testing issue starts to resolve, as it surely must, and good luck

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Nhs Volunteer army on 13:39 - Mar 25 with 2222 viewsDaleiLama

Can I just say a HUGE thank-you to anyone involved with fighting this virus in any way, shape or form and especially to Shun, Mrs. Sutty etc for the vital role they are playing in keeping the rest of us safe and treating the less fortunate than ourselves. I've been instructed to avoid all social contact for the foreseeable, but you can bet that at 8pm tomorrow night I'll be at my door showing my appreciation for all you do. Bravo.

Nhs Volunteer army on 14:35 - Mar 25 with 2154 viewsTalkingSutty

Nhs Volunteer army on 13:25 - Mar 25 by Shun

Yes, it’s in our local hospitals now, stay safe Shun👍
Nhs Volunteer army on 14:59 - Mar 25 with 2125 viewsmikehunt

Not sure if this has been thought of elsewhere but wouldn't it be something if our frontline care workers got a tax break for the work the are doing? If the government can afford to pay furloughed workers, surely the decent thing to do would be to offer the health workers something by way of thanks?

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Nhs Volunteer army on 15:27 - Mar 25 with 2094 viewsjonesy

Don’t forget the scientists who are probably working like mad to find a vaccine. Scientists have a poor image in this country but ought to be respected more. Think of previous health improvements, the internet you are all using, the TVs you are watching. Even the electrical supply. If that ever fails we will really have problems.
Nhs Volunteer army on 15:29 - Mar 25 with 2092 viewsTalkingSutty

Nhs Volunteer army on 14:59 - Mar 25 by mikehunt

Not sure if this has been thought of elsewhere but wouldn't it be something if our frontline care workers got a tax break for the work the are doing? If the government can afford to pay furloughed workers, surely the decent thing to do would be to offer the health workers something by way of thanks?

Many NHS staff are treated like rubbing rags..more or less expected to stay on after their alloted hours and work for nothing, it's frowned upon if they ask to be paid for doing the odd hour here and there (nearly every shift). Having to pay for parking at work, deducted from their monthly salary and when they turn up for duty the car park is full...no recompense allowed. Having to take to the streets to rally support for a decent pay rise. Now the shit has hit the fan big style the Government are falling over themselves to curry favour with those going into battle to save the people.
As somebody has just posted, it's the ordinary members of public who will step forward and save peoples lifes not the Politicians or the overpaid sportsmen who everybody seems to put on a pedestal. Some of them have so much money they don't realise how poor they are!
[Post edited 25 Mar 2020 15:37]
Nhs Volunteer army on 15:30 - Mar 25 with 2088 viewsJumeirahDale

Heartfelt thanks to those on the front lines including you Shun and your Mrs TS. Would be great to see the club do something where we can all show our appreciation once we get back to regular scheduling.
Nhs Volunteer army on 15:36 - Mar 25 with 2069 viewsTalkingSutty

Nhs Volunteer army on 15:30 - Mar 25 by JumeirahDale

Heartfelt thanks to those on the front lines including you Shun and your Mrs TS. Would be great to see the club do something where we can all show our appreciation once we get back to regular scheduling.

yes, let's get them all out on the pitch before kick off and give them a standing ovation, that's the least they deserve. Let's hope we don't lose any Dale fans along the way, that would be tragic.
Nhs Volunteer army on 16:32 - Mar 25 with 2020 viewsJumeirahDale

Nhs Volunteer army on 15:36 - Mar 25 by TalkingSutty

yes, let's get them all out on the pitch before kick off and give them a standing ovation, that's the least they deserve. Let's hope we don't lose any Dale fans along the way, that would be tragic.

Definitely. Perhaps also the club could run a GoFundMe where fans can donate either an adult ticket, child ticket, or a pie/voucher for the refreshment kiosk as a "thank you" for these folks, different levels of donation as I appreciate the vast majority will come out of this in some form of financial difficulty.
Nhs Volunteer army on 18:44 - Mar 25 with 1906 viewsDaleiLama

It's easy to try to imagine what it must be like on the front line, but this account, admittedly from the US but no less applicable to here I would imagine, shows the utter enormity of this pandemic. It must be physically exhausting doing this work, not to mention the emotional carnage it leaves in its wake and there is an ever-present risk of someone catching and having to face what they are trying to stop in others. As TS alluded to earlier, anyone in their right mind knows who the true heroes are.

Craig Spencer MD MPH
Thank you everyone for your incredible messages of support and encouragement.
Many of you asked what it was like in the ER right now. I want to share a bit with you.
A Day in the Life of an ER Doc - A Brief Dispatch from the #COVID19 Frontline:
Wake up at 6:30am. Priority is making a big pot of coffee for the whole day, because the place by the hospital is closed. The Starbucks too. It's all closed.
On the walk, it feels like Sunday. No one is out. Might be the freezing rain. Or it's early. Regardless, that's good.
Walk in for your 8am shift: Immediately struck by how the calm of the early morning city streets is immediately transformed. The bright fluorescent lights of the ER reflect off everyone's protective goggles. There is a cacophony of coughing. You stop. Mask up. Walk in.
You take signout from the previous team, but nearly every patient is the same, young & old:
Cough, shortness of breath, fever.
They are really worried about one patient. Very short of breath, on the maximum amount of oxygen we can give, but still breathing fast.
You immediately assess this patient. It's clear what this is, and what needs to happen. You have a long and honest discussion with the patient and family over the phone. It's best to put her on life support now, before things get much worse. You're getting set up for that, but...
You're notified of another really sick patient coming in. You rush over. They're also extremely sick, vomiting. They need to be put on life support as well. You bring them back. Two patients, in rooms right next to each other, both getting a breathing tube. It's not even 10am yet
For the rest of your shift, nearly every hour, you get paged:
Stat notification: Very sick patient, short of breath, fever. Oxygen 88%.
Stat notification: Low blood pressure, short of breath, low oxygen.
Stat notification: Low oxygen, can't breath. Fever.
All day...
Sometime in the afternoon you recognize you haven't drank any water. You're afraid to take off the mask. It's the only thing that protects you. Surely you can last a little longer - in West Africa during Ebola, you spent hours in a hot suit without water. One more patient...
By late afternoon, you need to eat. Restaurant across the street is closed. Right, everything is closed. But thankfully the hospital cafeteria is open. You grab something, wash your hands (twice), cautiously take off your mask, & eat as fast as you can. Go back. Mask up. Walk in.
Nearly everyone you see today is the same. We assume everyone is #COVIDー19. We wear gowns, goggles, and masks at every encounter. All day. It's the only way to be safe. Where did all the heart attacks and appendicitis patients go? Its all COVID.
When your shift ends, you sign out to the oncoming team. It's all #COVIDー19. Over the past week, we've all learned the signs - low oxygen, lymphopenia, elevated D-dimer.

You share concerns of friends throughout the city without PPE. Hospitals running out of ventilators.
Before you leave, you wipe EVERYTHING down. Your phone. Your badge. Your wallet. Your coffee mug. All of it. Drown it in bleach. Everything in a bag. Take no chances.
Sure you got it all??? Wipe is down again. Can't be too careful.
You walk out and take off your mask. You feel naked and exposed. It's still raining, but you want to walk home. Feels safer than the subway or bus, plus you need to decompress.
The streets are empty. This feels nothing like what is happening inside. Maybe people don't know???
You get home. You strip in the hallway (it's ok, your neighbors know what you do). Everything in a bag. Your wife tries to keep your toddler away, but she hasn't seen you in days, so it's really hard. Run to the shower. Rinse it all away. Never happier. Time for family.
You reflect on the fact that it's really hard to understand how bad this is - and how bad its going to be - if all you see are empty streets.
Hospitals are nearing capacity. We are running out of ventilators. Ambulance sirens don't stop.
Everyone we see today was infected a week ago, or more. The numbers will undoubtedly skyrocket overnight, as they have every night the past few days. More will come to the ER. More will be stat notifications. More will be put on a ventilator.
We were too late to stop this virus. Full stop. But we can slow it's spread. The virus can't infect those it never meets. Stay inside. Social distancing is the only thing that will save us now. I don't care as much about the economic impact as I do about our ability to save lives

You might hear people saying it isn't real. It is.

You might hear people saying it isn't bad. It is.

You might hear people saying it can't take you down. It can.

I survived Ebola. I fear #COVIDー19.

Do your part. Stay home. Stay safe.

And every day I'll come to work for you

Nhs Volunteer army on 20:28 - Mar 25 with 1803 viewstony_roch975

Nhs Volunteer army on 12:34 - Mar 25 by TalkingSutty

Brilliantly put TS and hope your wife and all the other heroes can stay strong. My daughter's done 20 years in A&E and I've never heard her so despondent that the very thing that got her and all of them into the NHS (making people better) is just what they so often can't do in this crisis... "it's so potent dad, patients deteriorating in front of your eyes and there's little you can do"

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Nhs Volunteer army on 20:48 - Mar 25 with 1757 viewsDalenet

We can do little things to show we care for the NHS staff,

Such as opening the staff canteens 24 hours a day right now and feeding them for free. God knows how they will get fed if they are working 12+ hours a day and supermarkets are empty. There is plenty of food in the catering wholesale chain that won't now be needed and thousands of workers from restaurants furloughed that could be asked to staff it. Small things to show we care.

Asking businesses right across the country to make the equipment that we should have ordered and been making 8 weeks ago. We need tens of millions of masks and face screens. Thank god we had some stuff in store for these kind of events. But we should have been making extra beds, extra kit, extra medicines 8 weeks ago. At least ramp it up now and buy the whole ruddy lot so no doctor or nurse has to improvise.

There were kids playing football on the fields behind me today. What were the parents thinking? I thought we were being asked to isolate as a family unit. Beggars belief. We have to stay at home. The volunteers plea is brilliant. My foodbank is now swamped and with another 100k signing on this week it won't be any easier. Where are the food parcels for the so called 1.5m screened people? The foodbanks can't cope with that. Every town should have a warehouse set up to make up parcels by now.
Nhs Volunteer army on 09:42 - Mar 26 with 1613 viewsDaleiLama

Nhs Volunteer army on 15:29 - Mar 25 by TalkingSutty

Many NHS staff are treated like rubbing rags..more or less expected to stay on after their alloted hours and work for nothing, it's frowned upon if they ask to be paid for doing the odd hour here and there (nearly every shift). Having to pay for parking at work, deducted from their monthly salary and when they turn up for duty the car park is full...no recompense allowed. Having to take to the streets to rally support for a decent pay rise. Now the shit has hit the fan big style the Government are falling over themselves to curry favour with those going into battle to save the people.
As somebody has just posted, it's the ordinary members of public who will step forward and save peoples lifes not the Politicians or the overpaid sportsmen who everybody seems to put on a pedestal. Some of them have so much money they don't realise how poor they are!
[Post edited 25 Mar 2020 15:37]

At least common sense on car parking has finally prevailed TS. It took a 400k+ petition, but NHS staff no longer have to pay to park at their workplace (at least during CV19). Having spent many an hour visiting both parents in hospital I bitterly resented being stiffed to pay for the privilege, but to go to work and save lives and then have money deducted from an already derisory salary for the work done is an utter disgrace.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024