Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dale v Overseas Teams 17:38 - Nov 8 with 2235 viewsmikehunt

The only team from outside the UK I can remember us playing is den Bosch. Yet, I heard that in 1955 we played FC Columbia Wien (I think) from Austria. Can anybody confirm this and shed a bit more light on the game?
Ta

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Dale v Overseas Teams on 17:43 - Nov 8 with 1820 viewsblackdogblue

Does Newport qualify?

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Dale v Overseas Teams on 17:53 - Nov 8 with 1803 viewsBeechball

The Isle of Man in 2002
Dale v Overseas Teams on 18:11 - Nov 8 with 1762 viewsboromat

Dale v Overseas Teams on 17:43 - Nov 8 by blackdogblue

Does Newport qualify?

If it does then so would Wrexham who we've probably played alot more.

Also didn't we have a friendly against Celtic? Oh no wait.....

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Dale v Overseas Teams on 18:24 - Nov 8 with 1744 viewsdawlishdale

Didn't we play Gibraltar a few years ago?

Also, Gretna
Dale v Overseas Teams on 18:49 - Nov 8 with 1711 viewsfitzochris

Did the OP not say outside the UK?

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Dale v Overseas Teams on 18:52 - Nov 8 with 1711 viewsArthurDaley

Yep i remember seeing this game, think we gave them a good hiding, one of their players got carried of injured . Must have been over 50 years ago now. Enjoyed telling United fans when they lost in Europe Dale have a 100% win record in Europe.

A large VAT Dave

Dale v Overseas Teams on 19:24 - Nov 8 with 1667 viewsdawlishdale

Dale v Overseas Teams on 18:24 - Nov 8 by dawlishdale

Didn't we play Gibraltar a few years ago?

Also, Gretna

Or was in Marbella? It was on a pre season tour a few years back.

and Gretna will be outside the UK if the poison dwarf gets her way.
Dale v Overseas Teams on 19:44 - Nov 8 with 1645 views1949er

Think we bear den Bosh 8.0

Poll: Where will we finish this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Dale v Overseas Teams on 19:55 - Nov 8 with 1636 viewsmacro

Haven't we played a few local teams on various training camps?
Dale v Overseas Teams on 19:55 - Nov 8 with 1633 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Dale v Overseas Teams on 19:44 - Nov 8 by 1949er

Think we bear den Bosh 8.0

I thought it was 7-2.

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

Dale v Overseas Teams on 20:47 - Nov 8 with 1589 viewsEllDale

If it’s the game l’m thinking of the friendly versus Den Bosch from memory was in July 1979.
It was just after the great escape under Doug Collins and we’d just signed Alan Weir who looked to be a right player based on this game.
I’m not sure how good they actually were but to put it into perspective Dale had beaten someone like Queen of the South 3-1 the previous weekend.
There was so much optimism at the time but it soon evaporated.
Dale v Overseas Teams on 20:49 - Nov 8 with 1583 viewsdownunder

Dale v Overseas Teams on 18:52 - Nov 8 by ArthurDaley

Yep i remember seeing this game, think we gave them a good hiding, one of their players got carried of injured . Must have been over 50 years ago now. Enjoyed telling United fans when they lost in Europe Dale have a 100% win record in Europe.

Similar to New Zealand's unbeaten World Cup in South Africa.
Dale v Overseas Teams on 21:01 - Nov 8 with 1566 viewsTVOS1907

Dale v Overseas Teams on 19:24 - Nov 8 by dawlishdale

Or was in Marbella? It was on a pre season tour a few years back.

and Gretna will be outside the UK if the poison dwarf gets her way.

I think you're right.

We played Peterborough in Marbella in 2008/09 pre-season and in a subsequent article in TVOS, it was commented that "...we’ve even had to endure the teasing of not being able to watch Dale’s first two friendlies as they were sunning it up in Spain."

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Dale v Overseas Teams on 21:10 - Nov 8 with 1554 viewsTVOS1907

We played Sporting Club Farense in Portugal while we were over there for our 2019/20 pre-season training camp.

The Den Bosch game was indeed in the summer of 1979. The Dutch side took the lead through Arie Romyn, before their goalkeeper scored an own goal to make it 1-1.

Gerad Aichorn restored the visitors' lead only for Bobby Hoy's penalty to make it 2-2 before half-time.

After the break Dale ran riot and further goals from Alan Weir, Dave Esser, Brian Taylor, Dennis Wann and Esser again made it 7-2.

According to the Rochdale Observer, "If Dale continue to play this way, the missing thousands will come flocking back to Spotland"....

The Columbia Wien game was during the 1954/55 season. Dale won 3-1 in front of a "disappointing crowd of just over 3,000".

I've no idea of the exact date, but I'll try to find out.

Dale v Overseas Teams on 22:49 - Nov 8 with 1487 viewsdingdangblue

We played Boston in the FA Cup last year.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Dale v Overseas Teams on 20:45 - Nov 9 with 1194 viewsTVOS1907

Got some info on the Columbia Wien game from Steven Phillipps:

"Re. Columbia Wien — I have it as played on Monday 7 February, won 3-1 (G. Lyons, Gemmell, Murphy), attendance 3313.

There were 9026 at Spotland the previous Saturday when we beat ... Stockport!

That was about 4000 more than the previous and next home games so maybe they really did bring that many in those days!!"

Dale v Overseas Teams on 21:19 - Nov 9 with 1168 viewsmikehunt

Nice one TVOS. Is there any info as to how and why the game came about? Seems a bit random.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Dale v Overseas Teams on 21:26 - Nov 9 with 1161 viewsTVOS1907

Dale v Overseas Teams on 21:19 - Nov 9 by mikehunt

Nice one TVOS. Is there any info as to how and why the game came about? Seems a bit random.

Not in my resources, sorry. It would need a trip to Touchstones and a root through the Observers of the time.

Dale v Overseas Teams on 21:30 - Nov 9 with 1160 viewspioneer

Dale v Overseas Teams on 21:19 - Nov 9 by mikehunt

I can’t confirm this at the moment but I think that was the season we installed floodlights and we were one of the first lower division teams to do so. We arranged several midweek friendliest to cash in on the novelty. There was one v st mirren as well, I think the same season.
Dale v Overseas Teams on 22:10 - Nov 9 with 1130 viewsTVOS1907

Dale v Overseas Teams on 21:30 - Nov 9 by pioneer

I can’t confirm this at the moment but I think that was the season we installed floodlights and we were one of the first lower division teams to do so. We arranged several midweek friendliest to cash in on the novelty. There was one v st mirren as well, I think the same season.

The St Mirren game was the season before (1953/54)

Dale v Overseas Teams on 07:52 - Nov 10 with 1078 viewspioneer

Dale v Overseas Teams on 22:10 - Nov 9 by TVOS1907

The St Mirren game was the season before (1953/54)

yup...it was the first game under the lights followed by further floodlit friendlies against Third Lanark and Swindon. Floodlit friendlies continued in 1954-5 with games against Oldham, international all stars, the columbia vienna team mentioned on this thread and the army who included future dale player and manager Brian Green. That seems to have been the end of the floodlit friendlies during the regular season.
Dale v Overseas Teams on 08:12 - Nov 10 with 1076 viewsEllDale

I think Hornets played under the floodlights in 1955 as well.
Dale v Overseas Teams on 10:37 - Nov 10 with 1034 viewspioneer

Dale v Overseas Teams on 08:12 - Nov 10 by EllDale

I think Hornets played under the floodlights in 1955 as well.

Yes, the played a home game against Keighley under the lights.

What i thought was an international all stars was actually a managers XI

I was hoping to post a photo of the lineups from the programme but I am afraid its beyond my abilities! So here goes:

Frank Swift, Andy Beattie, George Hardwick, Tim Ward, Bil Shankly, Johnny Carey, Frank Broome Raich Carter, Freddie Steele, Peter Doherty Don Welsh.

All of the were full internationals in their playing days which might explain why in some sources the team was described as international all stars. But the programme presents them as Managers XI.

I dont have a copy of the Wien programme but do have the St Mirren and Oldham games.
Dale v Overseas Teams on 15:24 - Nov 10 with 976 viewsEllDale

Dale were definitely one of the first clubs to install lights and wanted to make full use of them.
My dad worked for Tattersalls Electrical Contractors at Spotland Bridge in those days and Mr Tattersall was on the board at the time - he may even have been vice-chairman.
Apparently, given the nature of his business, Tattersall was under pressure from Fred Ratcliffe and the rest of the board to do the installation at cost price or even cheaper.
Which is why we had telegraph poles instead of metal floodlight pylons!
Dale v Overseas Teams on 18:02 - Nov 10 with 922 viewsArthurDaley

Dale v Overseas Teams on 15:24 - Nov 10 by EllDale

Dale were definitely one of the first clubs to install lights and wanted to make full use of them.
My dad worked for Tattersalls Electrical Contractors at Spotland Bridge in those days and Mr Tattersall was on the board at the time - he may even have been vice-chairman.
Apparently, given the nature of his business, Tattersall was under pressure from Fred Ratcliffe and the rest of the board to do the installation at cost price or even cheaper.
Which is why we had telegraph poles instead of metal floodlight pylons!

I remember those floodlights so well, with a couple of 40 watt bulbs swaying in the wind behind the goals.

A large VAT Dave

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024