Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ooh, another book 18:57 - Mar 31 with 11593 viewsjudd

More written about us than Will Smith

Poll: What is it to be then?

Ooh, another book on 19:12 - Mar 31 with 8951 viewsboromat

Looks a bit thin

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Ooh, another book on 22:10 - Mar 31 with 8668 viewsEllDale

Could be very interesting if he tells everything, warts and all.
Ooh, another book on 15:15 - Apr 1 with 8348 viewsA_Newby

Ooh, another book on 22:10 - Mar 31 by EllDale

Could be very interesting if he tells everything, warts and all.

I purchased the eBook Kindle version for £3.50. it is interesting reading about events on and off the field.

The first part of the book deals with his childhood and early days as a Dale fan.

There is a detailed account about dealing with the stadium company, unpaid bills by the rugby club, broken promises by the council, and why he thought it necessary to bring the stadium back into club ownership.

Just one quote from the book.

"I remember a meeting with their financial director, Mr Ashworth. He sat back in his seat and smirked as he told me that the rugby were just going to sit back and wait, as it would only be a matter of time before the football club would be bankrupt and with the help of the council they would inherit the ground."

Something else I was not aware of was that in preseason under Coleman the club went to Austria. On leaving the hotel Mr Dunphy was shocked when he was presented with a bill for 7000 euros for cleaning and repairs to damage caused by the team.

The last chapter deals with why he "retired" and how he felt he was undermined by the board members at the time. Having read this part he seems to be more circumspect and whilst he names people and describes what they said and did he leaves it to the reader to draw conclusions.

He does briefly deal with the aftermath of him leaving and more recent events.

For me the only thing missing from the book is why he decided to sell his shares in the club.
Ooh, another book on 15:37 - Apr 1 with 8278 viewsEllDale

Just ordered my copy from Amazon.
If the story recounted above is about Tommy Ashworth who spent a lot of time running Mayfield as well as becoming a director at Hornets then I can just imagine it. Tommy could be a very abrasive character.
Ooh, another book on 16:39 - Apr 1 with 8167 viewselectricblue

Ooh, another book on 15:15 - Apr 1 by A_Newby

I purchased the eBook Kindle version for £3.50. it is interesting reading about events on and off the field.

The first part of the book deals with his childhood and early days as a Dale fan.

There is a detailed account about dealing with the stadium company, unpaid bills by the rugby club, broken promises by the council, and why he thought it necessary to bring the stadium back into club ownership.

"I remember a meeting with their financial director, Mr Ashworth. He sat back in his seat and smirked as he told me that the rugby were just going to sit back and wait, as it would only be a matter of time before the football club would be bankrupt and with the help of the council they would inherit the ground."

Something else I was not aware of was that in preseason under Coleman the club went to Austria. On leaving the hotel Mr Dunphy was shocked when he was presented with a bill for 7000 euros for cleaning and repairs to damage caused by the team.

The last chapter deals with why he "retired" and how he felt he was undermined by the board members at the time. Having read this part he seems to be more circumspect and whilst he names people and describes what they said and did he leaves it to the reader to draw conclusions.

For me the only thing missing from the book is why he decided to sell his shares in the club.

Im sure when the squad when to Austria for preseason training there was something in the daily Diaries about a bike and the hills.....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Ooh, another book on 19:26 - Apr 1 with 8013 viewsKenBoon

Ooh, another book on 08:13 - Apr 2 with 7734 viewshammerdale

Ooh, another book on 15:37 - Apr 1 by EllDale

Just ordered my copy from Amazon.
If the story recounted above is about Tommy Ashworth who spent a lot of time running Mayfield as well as becoming a director at Hornets then I can just imagine it. Tommy could be a very abrasive character.

Haven't read the book but I'm guessing the Mr Ashworth was John Ashworth President of Hornets and supposedly their financial backer. l
Ooh, another book on 10:16 - Apr 3 with 7337 viewsDalenet

Ooh, another book on 15:15 - Apr 1 by A_Newby

As for selling shares - sounds like he was very bruised by the way he was handled. Kilpatrick doesn't apppear to be the mild mannered absent Chairman we thought he would be.

Hadn't appreciated that Bottomley had been using an office at the club 5 days a week whilst a Director to run his toy company. That meant he was active every day and undermining the running of the club. He expected to become CEO and his agenda was clear. The fact that he burst into tears when Dunphy told him he was resigning showed that he really did go to RADA at some point.

Chris will forever be a hero in our minds for all the good work he did. His one failure in hindsight was not broadening the Board and allowing a small group to scheme against him. But it is still disappointing that he was never formally offered a Vice President role and I suspect that hurt as much as anything.
Login to get fewer ads

Ooh, another book on 11:11 - Apr 3 with 7292 viewspioneer

Ooh, another book on 10:16 - Apr 3 by Dalenet

As for selling shares - sounds like he was very bruised by the way he was handled. Kilpatrick doesn't apppear to be the mild mannered absent Chairman we thought he would be.

Hadn't appreciated that Bottomley had been using an office at the club 5 days a week whilst a Director to run his toy company. That meant he was active every day and undermining the running of the club. He expected to become CEO and his agenda was clear. The fact that he burst into tears when Dunphy told him he was resigning showed that he really did go to RADA at some point.

Chris will forever be a hero in our minds for all the good work he did. His one failure in hindsight was not broadening the Board and allowing a small group to scheme against him. But it is still disappointing that he was never formally offered a Vice President role and I suspect that hurt as much as anything.

Agree completely DaleNet. when the next historyof the club is produced his name should br front and centre.

Forced out by cowboys.
Ooh, another book on 14:23 - Apr 3 with 7126 viewsSalegraham

Ooh, another book on 11:11 - Apr 3 by pioneer

Agree completely DaleNet. when the next historyof the club is produced his name should br front and centre.

Forced out by cowboys.

Surely someone could hold out a hand to him to allow him back into the fold. He did a lot of good things for the club, or is it just me ?
Ooh, another book on 14:30 - Apr 3 with 7093 viewsboromat

Ooh, another book on 19:26 - Apr 1 by KenBoon

I noticed that as well. Amazon algorithms obviously not very good.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Ooh, another book on 15:12 - Apr 3 with 7061 viewsTomRAFC

Ooh, another book on 14:23 - Apr 3 by Salegraham

Surely someone could hold out a hand to him to allow him back into the fold. He did a lot of good things for the club, or is it just me ?

It's a great idea and something I'd love to see. The new board have done a superb job of showing appreciation where it's due.

With Graham Morris helping facilitate the new board, rather than backing the return of Dunphy, there may still be some water left to go under the bridge before we see this happen.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Ooh, another book on 14:10 - Apr 4 with 6782 viewsjudd

That the ineptitude of his business management was being played out 5 days a week in plain sight yet he was still engaged via a non-competitive recruitment process to run the club as Chief Executive, speaks volumes of the scandalous way he was allowed to misconduct himself.

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/06798691/fili

Ooh, another book on 15:55 - Apr 4 with 6662 viewsBigKindo

Ooh, another book on 14:10 - Apr 4 by judd

That the ineptitude of his business management was being played out 5 days a week in plain sight yet he was still engaged via a non-competitive recruitment process to run the club as Chief Executive, speaks volumes of the scandalous way he was allowed to misconduct himself.

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/06798691/fili

Having use of an office area/space, and also perhaps possibly office equipment etc do we know if Bottomley actually paid any rental etc. to the Stadium Company for those facilities of which he took advantage?
[Post edited 4 Apr 2022 15:55]
Ooh, another book on 16:09 - Apr 4 with 6595 viewsSuddenLad

Ooh, another book on 15:55 - Apr 4 by BigKindo

Having use of an office area/space, and also perhaps possibly office equipment etc do we know if Bottomley actually paid any rental etc. to the Stadium Company for those facilities of which he took advantage?
[Post edited 4 Apr 2022 15:55]

Now, let me think about that for a minute........... hmmmm.

Next.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Ooh, another book on 16:29 - Apr 4 with 6546 viewskel

Ooh, another book on 14:10 - Apr 4 by judd

Where does UK Trends fit into it all?

According to the below, Roger and his son “are co-owners” of the company, yet according to companies house that’s not quite true. I’m no expert on stuff like this but it piqued my interest.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/local-news/super-supporters-issue-r
Ooh, another book on 16:57 - Apr 4 with 6516 viewsjudd

Ooh, another book on 16:29 - Apr 4 by kel

According to the below, Roger and his son “are co-owners” of the company, yet according to companies house that’s not quite true. I’m no expert on stuff like this but it piqued my interest.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/local-news/super-supporters-issue-r

Trends UK is a company he apparently set up after he chose to leave Hasbro, with another guy (Lee Clewes), and spent 10 years there.

The other guy is still there

His son was never an owner.

His departure from Trends appears to be another story in itself.

Ooh, another book on 17:02 - Apr 4 with 6511 viewsDaleiLama

I've never seen super-fantasist abbreviated before.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Ooh, another book on 17:14 - Apr 4 with 6477 viewsDalenet

Kel. Trends UK Limited is a Science focussed toy company. Bottomley founded it with two other partners in 2002. He used to talk about it when he was sat in the mainstand before he joined the Board. Not sure his son was ever involved.

Looks like he sold out his share of the business in 2012. Was that the time he moved back north? Not sure. But whilst Bottomley became a Board member, then CEO, I haven't seen his son at Spotland since.

I see that Trends UK is still trading and his original business partner from 2002 is still running it. Did they have a falling out? Or did David want to move on and pay for an expensive divorce and a move back North? No idea

Note: Judd beat me to it
[Post edited 4 Apr 2022 17:15]
Ooh, another book on 20:26 - Apr 4 with 6285 viewskel

Cheers chaps. Looks like another occasion of him speaking bollocks then whilst having a dig at people in Rochdale.
Ooh, another book on 13:50 - Apr 17 with 5326 viewsBazzanne

Just bought the book today. The first 3 chapters could be me. Loving every word and recommend Dale fans to have a read, you won't be disappointed. With his obvious love of Dale from the Sandy to the boardroom it's a pity the present board haven't approached him with a view to using his experiences and knowledge about running a football club. Not that there is anything wrong with the present board but surely there must be a place to use that experience.
Ooh, another book on 15:39 - Apr 17 with 5172 viewsSalegraham

If I remember it didn't Chris Dunphy's company at one time have a office under the away stand? I'm sure knowing about him he would have kept everything separate from football matters.
Ooh, another book on 23:05 - Apr 17 with 4873 viewsR17ALE

Ooh, another book on 13:50 - Apr 17 by Bazzanne

Just bought the book today. The first 3 chapters could be me. Loving every word and recommend Dale fans to have a read, you won't be disappointed. With his obvious love of Dale from the Sandy to the boardroom it's a pity the present board haven't approached him with a view to using his experiences and knowledge about running a football club. Not that there is anything wrong with the present board but surely there must be a place to use that experience.

You'll enjoy the end 3 chapters more. Virtually every director of that era gets stick, deservedly, and Roger comes out of it looking like a right tvvat.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Ooh, another book on 08:09 - Apr 18 with 4684 viewsnordenblue

Ooh, another book on 15:39 - Apr 17 by Salegraham

If I remember it didn't Chris Dunphy's company at one time have a office under the away stand? I'm sure knowing about him he would have kept everything separate from football matters.

He certainly did...
Ooh, another book on 12:52 - Apr 18 with 4413 viewskel

Ooh, another book on 23:05 - Apr 17 by R17ALE

You'll enjoy the end 3 chapters more. Virtually every director of that era gets stick, deservedly, and Roger comes out of it looking like a right tvvat.

Downloaded this last night and have just finished (too much time on my hands blah, blah, blah).

Thought there was a very telling line about a director who liked to run with the hare and hunt with the hounds.

I know exactly who he is referring to there.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024