Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gao at St Mary’s? 09:56 - Feb 2 with 1422 viewsDorsetIan

Anyone know the last time Gao or Nelly attended a game?

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Gao at St Mary’s? (n/t) on 10:51 - Feb 2 with 1377 viewsDellHero

[Post edited 25 Feb 2020 6:22]
Gao at St Mary’s? on 15:23 - Feb 2 with 1278 viewsTripleNiemi

They're still pushing the donation bucket round to gather funds for a couple of match tickets.

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Gao at St Mary’s? on 10:46 - Feb 3 with 1124 viewsSaintNick

Rupert Lowe attended every game home and away during his time at St Mary's, so shall we discuss whether attendance should be the criteria to be considered a great Chairman.

Would you rather Gao went to every game and then started advising Ralph on team selection, or would you rather he just let the people he pays big salaries to, do their jobs

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Gao at St Mary’s? on 11:06 - Feb 3 with 1112 viewsRon11

Gao at St Mary’s? on 10:46 - Feb 3 by SaintNick

Rupert Lowe attended every game home and away during his time at St Mary's, so shall we discuss whether attendance should be the criteria to be considered a great Chairman.

Would you rather Gao went to every game and then started advising Ralph on team selection, or would you rather he just let the people he pays big salaries to, do their jobs

I'd rather he fu cked right off out of the football club, and took his non entity bullshit on the front of the shirts with him.
Gao at St Mary’s? on 11:17 - Feb 3 with 1107 viewsDorsetIan

Gao at St Mary’s? on 10:46 - Feb 3 by SaintNick

It was a genuine question, as I can't remember it being mentioned that he was at a game.

While it would be a bit much to expect someone based in China to attend every game (or lots of games) - have either of them been to any games this season, for example?

Happy for him to be hands off re team selection, but do we really want a Chairman who shows no interest at all?

And, of course, if they are no longer attending games, it plays to my pet theory that they are no longer really involved.

Gao at St Mary’s? on 12:56 - Feb 3 with 1057 viewsSaintNick

Gao at St Mary’s? on 11:17 - Feb 3 by DorsetIan

It was a genuine question, as I can't remember it being mentioned that he was at a game.

While it would be a bit much to expect someone based in China to attend every game (or lots of games) - have either of them been to any games this season, for example?

Happy for him to be hands off re team selection, but do we really want a Chairman who shows no interest at all?

And, of course, if they are no longer attending games, it plays to my pet theory that they are no longer really involved.

I really dont know if anyone of them have been to games this season, I dont really care to be honest

It would be nice to have a chairman who is there every game but truthfully we dont know whether he watches every game on TV or doesnt bother at all, it is all just guessing.

They are involved, they have to be, it's only a question of the level, the good thing is they are letting the people they pay to do so run it day to day and that is right.

People are looking for stick to beat them with all the time, but there are far worse owners in the Premier League than Gao, he might not be throwing in the milions that some demand, but he is running the club exactly how he said he would, a continuation of the blueprint that Markus had, ie the club is run as a business not as a drain on finances.

Interesting that someone said that Gao could go taking his non entity sponsorship with him, actually this was a way that Gao could put money into the club without breaking football finance rules, don't underestimate him, he hasn't got to be a multi millionaire in China by being a complete fool

Gao at St Mary’s? on 13:23 - Feb 3 with 1039 viewsSaintsforeverj

Gao at St Mary’s? on 12:56 - Feb 3 by SaintNick

I really dont know if anyone of them have been to games this season, I dont really care to be honest

It would be nice to have a chairman who is there every game but truthfully we dont know whether he watches every game on TV or doesnt bother at all, it is all just guessing.

They are involved, they have to be, it's only a question of the level, the good thing is they are letting the people they pay to do so run it day to day and that is right.

People are looking for stick to beat them with all the time, but there are far worse owners in the Premier League than Gao, he might not be throwing in the milions that some demand, but he is running the club exactly how he said he would, a continuation of the blueprint that Markus had, ie the club is run as a business not as a drain on finances.

Interesting that someone said that Gao could go taking his non entity sponsorship with him, actually this was a way that Gao could put money into the club without breaking football finance rules, don't underestimate him, he hasn't got to be a multi millionaire in China by being a complete fool

You have an interesting take on this. The biggest indicator for me is the performance of the team. All the while the team is competitive and getting some good wins against Chelsea, Spurs etc, there is not a lot to moan about and it can be argued that the running of the club is not too bad.

However, I don't like people being made to pay for bar memberships, executive coaches, Chinese sponsors which for me are not as good to the fans as virgin media were, penny pinching to the extreme with reduced away allocations and the lack of investment in the team is an issue for me I. E not buying a central defender! These points mentioned must have something to do with the direction from Gao, as they were not issues before he arrived.

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Gao at St Mary’s? on 13:45 - Feb 3 with 1010 viewsDorsetIan

I respect that fact that you want to give Gao the benefit of the doubt. You are right that things could be a lot worse and if he is in charge still and letting those running the club get on with it, then to the extent that he's not interfering in things he shouldn't be, that's got to be a good thing.

However, I am not sure that you are right that people are 'looking for' a stick to beat him with. I think people are responding to fact that he has been a disappointment, gives no impression of wanting to take us to the next level, and gives every impression of being strapped for cash.

You then say that '...they are involved, they have to be...' Well that's my question. Are they? Not coming to the games proves nothing but what else have we seen from them. Not much. Why do you say 'they have to be'? Or it that just an assumption.

Finally, on the finance rules, again what evidence do you have for that being the reason behind the sponsorship. If Gao had £20m to put into the club, why not let Virgin sponsor us, get £20m from them and then lend the club £20m on top of that. I don't think the finance rules are so strict as to stop an owner lending that sort of money to a club. So I don't think that explanation stacks up. I prefer the idea that a sponsorship by 'L D Sports' is backdoor name awareness for Lander Sports.

Login to get fewer ads

Gao at St Mary’s? on 14:31 - Feb 3 with 985 viewsRon11

Gao at St Mary’s? on 13:23 - Feb 3 by Saintsforeverj

You have an interesting take on this. The biggest indicator for me is the performance of the team. All the while the team is competitive and getting some good wins against Chelsea, Spurs etc, there is not a lot to moan about and it can be argued that the running of the club is not too bad.

However, I don't like people being made to pay for bar memberships, executive coaches, Chinese sponsors which for me are not as good to the fans as virgin media were, penny pinching to the extreme with reduced away allocations and the lack of investment in the team is an issue for me I. E not buying a central defender! These points mentioned must have something to do with the direction from Gao, as they were not issues before he arrived.

I quietly rest my case.
"Someone on here' said that the fact that we need at the very least one new central defender has been staring them in the face for over two years and it still hasn't happened.
What did happen was a return to the same old shambles in defence during the second half at Liverpool.
It would be nice to return to an owner of the non faceless type, who actually cared about the club rather than some non entity using us to get money out of China.
[Post edited 3 Feb 2020 14:37]
Gao at St Mary’s? on 15:19 - Feb 3 with 962 viewsTripleNiemi

Serious question now; does anyone really know Gao's worth or approx level of wealth? Has there been any hard evidence to suggest he is in fact a multi millionaire (in GBP, Euro's or USD and not Vietnamese Dong)?

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Gao at St Mary’s? on 05:36 - Feb 4 with 829 viewsareasix

Personal I am quite happy he has not been here since the Christmas fixtures as he should and will stay in China at present due to the travel ban and the comment of where is the big investment he always said just like Markus said that the club would be run like a business , so he has appointed a Great manager in the making and I don’t here Sheffield Utd fans at present complaining that they don’t have a rich owner!! Flashing the cash.
Gao at St Mary’s? on 08:20 - Feb 4 with 785 viewsCapt_Koons

He's trying to sell the club, so the rumour goes.

Poll: If our new manager is a success, which club will he be managing in 2 years time?

Gao at St Mary’s? on 08:20 - Feb 4 with 785 viewsthis_charming_man

Gao at St Mary’s? on 05:36 - Feb 4 by areasix

Personal I am quite happy he has not been here since the Christmas fixtures as he should and will stay in China at present due to the travel ban and the comment of where is the big investment he always said just like Markus said that the club would be run like a business , so he has appointed a Great manager in the making and I don’t here Sheffield Utd fans at present complaining that they don’t have a rich owner!! Flashing the cash.

I’ve not seen anyone say he should splash the cash.

What would nice though is if just for once we had a transfer window where we didn’t have to sell to buy someone

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: Who hates the tories the most?

Gao at St Mary’s? on 09:46 - Feb 4 with 761 viewsSaintNick

Gao at St Mary’s? on 13:45 - Feb 3 by DorsetIan

I respect that fact that you want to give Gao the benefit of the doubt. You are right that things could be a lot worse and if he is in charge still and letting those running the club get on with it, then to the extent that he's not interfering in things he shouldn't be, that's got to be a good thing.

However, I am not sure that you are right that people are 'looking for' a stick to beat him with. I think people are responding to fact that he has been a disappointment, gives no impression of wanting to take us to the next level, and gives every impression of being strapped for cash.

You then say that '...they are involved, they have to be...' Well that's my question. Are they? Not coming to the games proves nothing but what else have we seen from them. Not much. Why do you say 'they have to be'? Or it that just an assumption.

Finally, on the finance rules, again what evidence do you have for that being the reason behind the sponsorship. If Gao had £20m to put into the club, why not let Virgin sponsor us, get £20m from them and then lend the club £20m on top of that. I don't think the finance rules are so strict as to stop an owner lending that sort of money to a club. So I don't think that explanation stacks up. I prefer the idea that a sponsorship by 'L D Sports' is backdoor name awareness for Lander Sports.

Ill answer a few things on this post as it is the one that has actually qualified the posters opinion rather than just a couple of lines complaining about Gao.

Im interested in the question about "next level" there are two important facts about that, firstly what is the next level and secondly how do you actually obtain it at a price that makes it worthwhile.

Most seem to base his intentions purely on how much cash is spent on transfers, although they conveniently forget we spent a lot more than we took in during last summer.

You could say there are three types of team in the Premier League, the Big Six, a second tier with clubs throwing cash about with big stadiums (Everton, West Ham, Villa, Newcastle) and then the rest of us, so presumably we are trying to get to the next level of those four teams, although as none of those teams are significantly higher than us in the league it could be said that we are at their level now. Wolves spent a lot during last summer and again arent really taking themselves to that next level either. Leicester are doing well but they only spent about £8 million more than they too in, they spent the Maguire money wisely, no one accuses them of being a selling club.

Sheffield United have shown that results can be obtained and it is about good management and careful buying rather than splashing the cash.

This season is a bit of an anomality given the failings of some of the big six but truth is the league is starting to even out and I would say five of the big six will be in the top six come the end of it.

As I said is the cost of the next level truly affordable, Wolves have a net spent of £70 million, but that won't be anywhere near covered by anything they achieve unless they qualify for the Champions League or win a trophy, if they stay where they are now and don't make even the Europa league then they have spent £70 million to improve their league position by about £6 million in prize money and that isn't sustainable if dont make the top 6 for more than a couple of years.

We are paying the price for some poor signings last season our wage bill was 10th in the Premier League on £113 million, we took in £101 million in Premier League prize money, Wolves in 7th took in £123 million, that shows you the gambles we take.

We had a deficit of income against expenditure of £12 million and that has to be covered, and that doesnt include the non playing costs, so we have to look towards tickets sales and merchandising and sponsorship to make up that deficit.

You say why not just get Virgin to sponsor us for £20 million, well their last deal was £7 million based on us finishing 6th, they were not going to renew at that level, which was the 10th highest in the Premier League, but they were willing to have the shirt sleeves sponsorship at a decent price so when jugggling around as to the best deal we could get this was a decent way forward for Gao to get money into the club.

If Lander sports want backdoor awareness they could get that a lot cheaper than putting in £7.5 million Gao could have changed the name of the stadium and plastered the logo all around the pitch for the tv cameras without any cost to himself.

You are right Gao could have put more in under fair play rules but we are choosing the route of trying to push up to the next level running as a business rather than the boom and bust of say Everton & West Ham etc of recent years.

In some respects Gao has been disappointing but that is based purely on the league placings for the last two years.

If we can finish in the top 10 this season then we will be seen and held up as a well run club and a success story, the way things should be done by backing the manager to succeed etc.

But that wont be enough for some fans who will still keep saying he is an asset stripper etc but there is no evidence of that.

When I say "they have to be" I mean that he owns the club, the CEO etc run it to his wishes, they cant just make decisions off their own back, they have to follow his blueprint, now that is not necessarily being told not to spend transfer money, but it is Gao who sets the way we run the club, they implement it.

WE are in a period of Austerity still the wage bill last season against income shows that but we are slowly rebuilding and this January we have got another two salaries off the pay roll so that frees things up a little.

We have gambled in not buying a central defender, but would you rather we spend just for the sake of spending and perhaps end up with the defensive version of Carrillo or would you rather we get things right in the summer, back in December there was a need to spend, our good run of results meant that we didn't need to or would you rather we spent just for spendings sake.

Hopefully now Matt Crocker has arrived to run the footballing side of things off the pitch we will start to move forward again.

Gao at St Mary’s? on 10:38 - Feb 4 with 735 viewsthis_charming_man

Gao at St Mary’s? on 09:46 - Feb 4 by SaintNick

Ill answer a few things on this post as it is the one that has actually qualified the posters opinion rather than just a couple of lines complaining about Gao.

Im interested in the question about "next level" there are two important facts about that, firstly what is the next level and secondly how do you actually obtain it at a price that makes it worthwhile.

Most seem to base his intentions purely on how much cash is spent on transfers, although they conveniently forget we spent a lot more than we took in during last summer.

You could say there are three types of team in the Premier League, the Big Six, a second tier with clubs throwing cash about with big stadiums (Everton, West Ham, Villa, Newcastle) and then the rest of us, so presumably we are trying to get to the next level of those four teams, although as none of those teams are significantly higher than us in the league it could be said that we are at their level now. Wolves spent a lot during last summer and again arent really taking themselves to that next level either. Leicester are doing well but they only spent about £8 million more than they too in, they spent the Maguire money wisely, no one accuses them of being a selling club.

Sheffield United have shown that results can be obtained and it is about good management and careful buying rather than splashing the cash.

This season is a bit of an anomality given the failings of some of the big six but truth is the league is starting to even out and I would say five of the big six will be in the top six come the end of it.

As I said is the cost of the next level truly affordable, Wolves have a net spent of £70 million, but that won't be anywhere near covered by anything they achieve unless they qualify for the Champions League or win a trophy, if they stay where they are now and don't make even the Europa league then they have spent £70 million to improve their league position by about £6 million in prize money and that isn't sustainable if dont make the top 6 for more than a couple of years.

We are paying the price for some poor signings last season our wage bill was 10th in the Premier League on £113 million, we took in £101 million in Premier League prize money, Wolves in 7th took in £123 million, that shows you the gambles we take.

We had a deficit of income against expenditure of £12 million and that has to be covered, and that doesnt include the non playing costs, so we have to look towards tickets sales and merchandising and sponsorship to make up that deficit.

You say why not just get Virgin to sponsor us for £20 million, well their last deal was £7 million based on us finishing 6th, they were not going to renew at that level, which was the 10th highest in the Premier League, but they were willing to have the shirt sleeves sponsorship at a decent price so when jugggling around as to the best deal we could get this was a decent way forward for Gao to get money into the club.

If Lander sports want backdoor awareness they could get that a lot cheaper than putting in £7.5 million Gao could have changed the name of the stadium and plastered the logo all around the pitch for the tv cameras without any cost to himself.

You are right Gao could have put more in under fair play rules but we are choosing the route of trying to push up to the next level running as a business rather than the boom and bust of say Everton & West Ham etc of recent years.

In some respects Gao has been disappointing but that is based purely on the league placings for the last two years.

If we can finish in the top 10 this season then we will be seen and held up as a well run club and a success story, the way things should be done by backing the manager to succeed etc.

But that wont be enough for some fans who will still keep saying he is an asset stripper etc but there is no evidence of that.

When I say "they have to be" I mean that he owns the club, the CEO etc run it to his wishes, they cant just make decisions off their own back, they have to follow his blueprint, now that is not necessarily being told not to spend transfer money, but it is Gao who sets the way we run the club, they implement it.

WE are in a period of Austerity still the wage bill last season against income shows that but we are slowly rebuilding and this January we have got another two salaries off the pay roll so that frees things up a little.

We have gambled in not buying a central defender, but would you rather we spend just for the sake of spending and perhaps end up with the defensive version of Carrillo or would you rather we get things right in the summer, back in December there was a need to spend, our good run of results meant that we didn't need to or would you rather we spent just for spendings sake.

Hopefully now Matt Crocker has arrived to run the footballing side of things off the pitch we will start to move forward again.

"Most seem to base his intentions purely on how much cash is spent on transfers, although they conveniently forget we spent a lot more than we took in during last summer. "

Not quite true. We sold Gallagher, Austin, Targett for fees of around £27m
We signed Adams and Djenepo for fees of around £30m. Factor in we sold Gabbiadini in January for c£10m we are actually £7m in profit

"WE are in a period of Austerity still the wage bill last season against income shows that but we are slowly rebuilding and this January we have got another two salaries off the pay roll so that frees things up a little"

We have trimmed the wage bill by a consertive estimate of £400k in the last 12 months.
Davis
Gabbiadini
Austin
Targett
Gallagher
Clasie
Cédric
Yoshida

all removed from it. Whilst we've added Adams, Djenepo, c£120k at a generous estimate. So we're actually £280k a week better off with wages.

I've not included the two loanees as we have loads out on loan so we should at worst be breaking even on loan wages.

Gao at St Mary’s? on 11:10 - Feb 4 with 715 viewsButty101

Gao at St Mary’s? on 09:46 - Feb 4 by SaintNick

"We had a deficit of income against expenditure of £12 million and that has to be covered, and that doesnt include the non playing costs, so we have to look towards tickets sales and merchandising and sponsorship to make up that deficit."

When did we have this deficit? The last two years of accounts have shown us to have had a profit of cira 70mill,

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Gao at St Mary’s? on 11:10 - Feb 4 with 715 viewsdirk_doone

"Sheffield United have shown that results can be obtained and it is about good management and careful buying rather than splashing the cash." ???

Why are people likening us to Sheffield United? They've got a wealthy, ambitious Saudi owner and their net spend of £62 million this season is much greater than ours.

"On his ambitions for the club Prince Abdullah said: “I think we need to improve step by step, we will not be able to qualify for the Champions League in one year but every year we stay we will be much better. Next year we will be bringing in two or three super players."

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/sheffield-united/transfers/verein/350
[Post edited 4 Feb 2020 11:34]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Gao at St Mary’s? on 11:15 - Feb 4 with 707 viewsthis_charming_man

Gao at St Mary’s? on 11:10 - Feb 4 by dirk_doone

"Sheffield United have shown that results can be obtained and it is about good management and careful buying rather than splashing the cash." ???

Why are people likening us to Sheffield United? They've got a wealthy, ambitious Saudi owner and their net spend of £62 million this season is much greater than ours.

"On his ambitions for the club Prince Abdullah said: “I think we need to improve step by step, we will not be able to qualify for the Champions League in one year but every year we stay we will be much better. Next year we will be bringing in two or three super players."

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/sheffield-united/transfers/verein/350
[Post edited 4 Feb 2020 11:34]

They've also got only 6 months of premier league income compared to 7 years for us.

Gao at St Mary’s? on 12:20 - Feb 4 with 656 viewsSaintNick

Gao at St Mary’s? on 11:10 - Feb 4 by Butty101

"We had a deficit of income against expenditure of £12 million and that has to be covered, and that doesnt include the non playing costs, so we have to look towards tickets sales and merchandising and sponsorship to make up that deficit."

When did we have this deficit? The last two years of accounts have shown us to have had a profit of cira 70mill,

If you read what I wrote I said that the £12 million was a deficit of players wages against income from the Premier League nothing else.

The last accounts filed were up to June 2018 which showed a pre tax profit of £35 million, but if you look at them further you will see that we had to factor in the fact that we owed £12 million more than other clubs owed us in transfer instalments and also Danny Ings future payment of £18.5 million was factored in meaning the actual profit was around £5 million.

The accounts for 2019 will be due in about a month

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024