Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Yoshida 19:07 - Feb 2 with 2688 views1teeminants

He’ll Always be a saints legend in my eyes ( ok legend maybe a bit strong but a decent hardworking pro ), some won’t agree but he always gave 100 % unlike so many of our squad. He never complained and never shirked a challenge. When Matt Le Tiss praises a player you know they’ve done something right .Good luck to you Maya.

https://stmarysmusings.sbnation.com/2020/2/2/21118878/maya-yoshida-bids-emotiona
[Post edited 2 Feb 2020 21:49]

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Yoshida on 19:32 - Feb 2 with 1945 viewsthis_charming_man

No problem with his attitude or application. He just wasn’t quite up to it but a great squad player, professional and guy.

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: Who hates the tories the most?

Yoshida on 19:41 - Feb 2 with 1931 viewscocklebreath

I await Nicks praise after he gets back from the world’s greatest city

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Yoshida on 19:44 - Feb 2 with 1927 viewsgrumpy

Honest player,I wish him well for the future.
Yoshida on 19:56 - Feb 2 with 1913 viewsBLEEDRED

100 caps for his country, but yes he was useless!!! (no pleasing some fans)
Yoshida on 20:37 - Feb 2 with 1862 viewsA1079

I mentioned on another thread, that for me Yoshida represented what was good about football when seemingly we are surrounded by less gracious and well meaning representatives of football, be it players with ego's, pundits, media, money, etc.

Yoshida may have had moments in his game which resulted in errors, but over his time with us he got us out of many holes, without ever whingeing about not being an automatic choice, waiting on the sidelines to come on and fill the gaps. Look how he performed when Fonte left and then Van Dijk was injured, look how he filled in when our transfer policy left us light. He even scored some goals as well. He gave his heart and soul to the club - ok, people will say he was paid well - yes, but I doubt if he was paid as well as some and some that are paid very well have not always given their all.

You can tell he loved out club and the team and he spoke very well - in fact in a commanding way in interviews etc. Nick often said he was never a leader, but he often lead by example in his attitude and application. Sure, I am not going to say he has been the best defender we have ever had but I am glad he played for Saints and has been a part of us.

I am a little disappointed that he has been quietly cast out on loan (which I don't understand anyway given our threadbare defence options) with probably no return and no opportunity to give him the goodbye he deserves.
Yoshida on 20:42 - Feb 2 with 1859 viewsfranniesTache

Why do people overuse the word legend so much. Yoshida seemed a decent guy, did a lot for the Saints Foundation and was an ok squad player for us, nothing more.

Don't get me wrong i liked the guy, he was a model pro, but legend? So we have Paine, Channon, Le Tiss, Ron Davies, Bates and then... Yoshida... really?
Yoshida on 20:55 - Feb 2 with 1840 viewsHappy_Jack

Yoshida on 20:42 - Feb 2 by franniesTache

Why do people overuse the word legend so much. Yoshida seemed a decent guy, did a lot for the Saints Foundation and was an ok squad player for us, nothing more.

Don't get me wrong i liked the guy, he was a model pro, but legend? So we have Paine, Channon, Le Tiss, Ron Davies, Bates and then... Yoshida... really?

Correct. Nobody will be talking about Yoshida in 5 years time let alone 30 or 40. Fantastic servant though it has to be said.

Millbrook Furnishing shop floor level banter
Poll: Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been?

Yoshida on 20:57 - Feb 2 with 1837 viewsPatfromPoole

I thought he played really well at Fratton in the Cup despite provocation from that arsehole Marquis.

Will also remember how superb he was in the Cup semi-final at Anfield.

He was a great value signing given his little he cost. Yes, he often had a dodgy backpass in him, but overall he did far more good than bad.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Login to get fewer ads

Yoshida on 21:08 - Feb 2 with 1821 viewsTripleNiemi

Serious question here guys, does anyone consider Frannie a legend?

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Yoshida on 21:24 - Feb 2 with 1806 views1teeminants

Yoshida on 19:32 - Feb 2 by this_charming_man

No problem with his attitude or application. He just wasn’t quite up to it but a great squad player, professional and guy.

Nor were Hoedt or Vestergaard mate but give me Yoshida over those two any day of the week . Hoedt seemed very arrogant, good riddance.Vestergaard is just poor.

Yoshida on 21:29 - Feb 2 with 1794 views1teeminants

Yoshida on 19:56 - Feb 2 by BLEEDRED

100 caps for his country, but yes he was useless!!! (no pleasing some fans)

Yoshida got voted in the team of the last World Cup . Some people refused to acknowledge the fact and even laughed when I mentioned it . Perhaps the term legend is a bit too strong for Yoshida but a good servant he was.

Yoshida on 21:36 - Feb 2 with 1782 viewsPatfromPoole

Yoshida on 21:24 - Feb 2 by 1teeminants

Nor were Hoedt or Vestergaard mate but give me Yoshida over those two any day of the week . Hoedt seemed very arrogant, good riddance.Vestergaard is just poor.

Couldn’t agree more.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Yoshida on 21:46 - Feb 2 with 1762 viewsthis_charming_man

Well that’s the difference isn’t it. Hoedts an average player thsy thinks he’s Maldini, Vestergaard is pretty crap. Yoshidas an average player who knows what he is and gets on with without being a dick.

Yoshida on 21:54 - Feb 2 with 1746 views1teeminants

Yoshida on 21:46 - Feb 2 by this_charming_man

Well that’s the difference isn’t it. Hoedts an average player thsy thinks he’s Maldini, Vestergaard is pretty crap. Yoshidas an average player who knows what he is and gets on with without being a dick.

Yeah spot on .

Yoshida on 23:21 - Feb 2 with 1683 viewsNewdawn2014

Good luck Maya , always came across as a hard working guy and loyal through and through.
Yoshida on 23:26 - Feb 2 with 1678 viewsA1079

Agree FranniesTache. The word Legend is over-used and to be honest there would be very few that I would use it for. I have the same problem when people use the word hero or brave, particularly when talking about an action in sport.
Yoshida on 05:19 - Feb 3 with 1622 viewsKennington

Legend no, cult status definitely. I’d put Yoshida below Benali but above the likes of Mickey Evans or Ormerod. Possibly in the same bracket as Pahars, although Marion has far more talent.

Pretty obvious though that RH didn’t rate him, which is fair enough.

I hope he’ll be very welcome to SMS in the future to do the whole hospitality thing.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

Yoshida on 06:46 - Feb 3 with 1584 viewssaint22

Agreed he was a great servant
Casting him out on loan leaving us with just the lumbering giant as cover may prove a big mistake
Yoshida on 06:54 - Feb 3 with 1580 viewsTygerUppercut

Yoshida on 21:08 - Feb 2 by TripleNiemi

Certainly not ! In all honesty one of the worst players I've ever seen in a saints shirt ,more often not he would make game changing mistakes , he was only at the club for so long because no one else would touch him with a barge pole. Yes he gave heart yes he's done things for charity blah blah blah (keeps his profile high ,keeps him earning a wage from sky sports etc ) but he was a terrible terrible player,at best now hed be league 1, probably more likely league 2.

Poll: Is the poundland polak Bednarek vvd replacement?

Yoshida on 07:33 - Feb 3 with 1562 viewsTripleNiemi

Yoshida on 06:54 - Feb 3 by TygerUppercut

Certainly not ! In all honesty one of the worst players I've ever seen in a saints shirt ,more often not he would make game changing mistakes , he was only at the club for so long because no one else would touch him with a barge pole. Yes he gave heart yes he's done things for charity blah blah blah (keeps his profile high ,keeps him earning a wage from sky sports etc ) but he was a terrible terrible player,at best now hed be league 1, probably more likely league 2.

Thanks; was just trying to gauge whether my thoughts were share by others.

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Yoshida on 09:04 - Feb 3 with 1514 viewsfranniesTache

Yoshida on 21:08 - Feb 2 by TripleNiemi

Tough one that, i'd say he's a cult hero. Let's be honest on the pitch he was a pretty poor player (though he did improve towards the end of his career) and i doubt you'd have found many who would've called him a legend just after his retirement.

But post retirement Franny has been one of those people that just genuinely makes you proud to call yourself a Sotonian, he sums up he best of our city, and he gives you so much pride.

Also the fact he's a local lad and a genuine Saints fan means a hell of a lot in an age where the majority of footballers will change who they say they support to get an extra few pence in their pay packet.

So in my opinion, cult hero, source of pride, yes. Legend (in a footballing sense), absolutely not.
Yoshida on 10:21 - Feb 3 with 1477 viewsthis_charming_man

Yoshida on 09:04 - Feb 3 by franniesTache

Tough one that, i'd say he's a cult hero. Let's be honest on the pitch he was a pretty poor player (though he did improve towards the end of his career) and i doubt you'd have found many who would've called him a legend just after his retirement.

But post retirement Franny has been one of those people that just genuinely makes you proud to call yourself a Sotonian, he sums up he best of our city, and he gives you so much pride.

Also the fact he's a local lad and a genuine Saints fan means a hell of a lot in an age where the majority of footballers will change who they say they support to get an extra few pence in their pay packet.

So in my opinion, cult hero, source of pride, yes. Legend (in a footballing sense), absolutely not.

it does amuse me seeing pictures of him stood next to Matt Le Tissier and to think they were both professional footballers once.

Yoshida on 10:28 - Feb 3 with 1461 viewsfranniesTache

Yoshida on 10:21 - Feb 3 by this_charming_man

it does amuse me seeing pictures of him stood next to Matt Le Tissier and to think they were both professional footballers once.

To think Matty played in a team that included Benali, Simon Charlton, Neil Heaney, Frankie Bennett and Paul Tisdale (amongst others) does make me laugh
Yoshida on 10:30 - Feb 3 with 1460 viewsthis_charming_man

Yoshida on 10:28 - Feb 3 by franniesTache

To think Matty played in a team that included Benali, Simon Charlton, Neil Heaney, Frankie Bennett and Paul Tisdale (amongst others) does make me laugh

And Paul Moody once got picked ahead of him.....

Yoshida on 10:34 - Feb 3 with 1452 viewsfranniesTache

Yoshida on 10:30 - Feb 3 by this_charming_man

And Paul Moody once got picked ahead of him.....

genuine miracle we stayed up so often really, the quality of the team back then was pretty bloody awful. All they had was spirit and one of the best players to ever play the game for us.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024