Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Defence 20:37 - Jul 5 with 1524 viewssaint22

Why haven’t we defended this way all season??
Defence on 20:57 - Jul 5 with 1510 viewsTimSaint

Simple - City didn't punish all our usual mistakes !!

TimSaint

Defence on 20:59 - Jul 5 with 1499 viewsBicester_North

You can’t defend like that all season Lauren, it depends what you’re up against and how they play.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Defence on 21:00 - Jul 5 with 1492 viewskingslandstand1

Defence on 20:57 - Jul 5 by TimSaint

A bit unfair. City did miss chances, but that was stout defending
Defence on 21:00 - Jul 5 with 1493 viewsdirk_doone

Jack Stephens was magnificent. That was one of the finest performances from a Saints centre back for years.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Defence on 21:02 - Jul 5 with 1469 viewsCity_boy

Great result but there was still a lot of errors. Didnt agree agree with Stephens MoM award. Another day he would have got punished. A also has a habit of turning his back on attackers, which he got away with tonight.

All said - they held out and the effort was the best I have seen for years.
Defence on 21:03 - Jul 5 with 1463 viewscocklebreath

Defence on 20:57 - Jul 5 by TimSaint

Bollox mate, that was fantastic defending

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Defence on 21:03 - Jul 5 with 1461 viewssaint22

They did miss chances yes but we didn’t give them much either
[Post edited 5 Jul 2020 21:03]
Defence on 21:05 - Jul 5 with 1434 viewsdirk_doone

Defence on 21:03 - Jul 5 by saint22

They did miss chances yes but we didn’t give them much either
[Post edited 5 Jul 2020 21:03]

Stephens blocked nearly every shot or final pass they had and McCarthy saved the rest. There wasn't much City could do about it. They were beaten by a better defence on the day.

Walker-Peters was excellent too.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2020 21:06]

Login to get fewer ads

Defence on 21:08 - Jul 5 with 1398 viewsRon11

Walker-Peters has stitched up the right flank, allowing Stephens and Bednarek to get in closer to the goal. Ryan put in a shift too.
The whole team played brilliantly, but I have to give man of the match to McCarthy, who made some absolutely crucial saves early on.
Defence (n/t) on 21:09 - Jul 5 with 1388 viewscocklebreath

Defence on 21:08 - Jul 5 by Ron11

Walker-Peters has stitched up the right flank, allowing Stephens and Bednarek to get in closer to the goal. Ryan put in a shift too.
The whole team played brilliantly, but I have to give man of the match to McCarthy, who made some absolutely crucial saves early on.

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Defence on 21:11 - Jul 5 with 1365 viewsBicester_North

Defence on 21:05 - Jul 5 by dirk_doone

Stephens blocked nearly every shot or final pass they had and McCarthy saved the rest. There wasn't much City could do about it. They were beaten by a better defence on the day.

Walker-Peters was excellent too.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2020 21:06]

Hats off to Ralph again for motivating them to give it their all.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2020 21:11]

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Defence on 21:13 - Jul 5 with 1345 viewsSaintsforeverj

The defence was excellent but we defended as a team. And it was us who stopped City today. We blocked everything and a word for Mccarthy / he also stopped City today. Absolutely brilliant. I say it quietly but watch this space. Ralph is creating a a really good side. If we can get Adams scoring too as well as Ings, we'll what a team we could have. Just hope we can get back to games soon.

And just one quick question - To all those who said we shouldn't have played games behind closed doors, what do you think now? Surely you enjoyed that? I knew you would.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2020 21:14]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Defence on 21:22 - Jul 5 with 1291 viewsTimSaint

Defence on 21:03 - Jul 5 by cocklebreath

Bollox mate, that was fantastic defending

They certainly put their defensive lives on the line more and it was definitely better than in recent games against top 6 teams (or pretty much most teams at St Mary's) but in the 2nd half alone we presented them with chance after chance as a result of poor headers, poor passing, poor clearances and a keeper flap.

Proper backs to the wall, Alamo, etc etc, but everyone put a shift in and worked hard to thwart City, so the whole team should get the plaudits, not just the defence.

It was a great win that nobody expected and a fitting goal to clinch it !! :-)

TimSaint

Defence on 21:58 - Jul 5 with 1212 viewsNumber_58

Defence on 21:22 - Jul 5 by TimSaint

They certainly put their defensive lives on the line more and it was definitely better than in recent games against top 6 teams (or pretty much most teams at St Mary's) but in the 2nd half alone we presented them with chance after chance as a result of poor headers, poor passing, poor clearances and a keeper flap.

Proper backs to the wall, Alamo, etc etc, but everyone put a shift in and worked hard to thwart City, so the whole team should get the plaudits, not just the defence.

It was a great win that nobody expected and a fitting goal to clinch it !! :-)

I must have watched a different second half to you. I can recall Stephens slicing one clearance straight to the city player but I can't remember any other glaring errors. I think some folk, Nick especially, are so obsessed by our defence that they now look at ever single piece of defending in minute detail.
Defence on 22:05 - Jul 5 with 1193 viewsdirk_doone

Defence on 21:58 - Jul 5 by Number_58

I must have watched a different second half to you. I can recall Stephens slicing one clearance straight to the city player but I can't remember any other glaring errors. I think some folk, Nick especially, are so obsessed by our defence that they now look at ever single piece of defending in minute detail.

Stephens blocked more shots today than any central defender has in any game this season and those shots were coming in from the like of De Bruyne, Mahrez and Sterling. He was simply magnificent.

Defence on 22:43 - Jul 5 with 1136 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Defence on 21:13 - Jul 5 by Saintsforeverj

The defence was excellent but we defended as a team. And it was us who stopped City today. We blocked everything and a word for Mccarthy / he also stopped City today. Absolutely brilliant. I say it quietly but watch this space. Ralph is creating a a really good side. If we can get Adams scoring too as well as Ings, we'll what a team we could have. Just hope we can get back to games soon.

And just one quick question - To all those who said we shouldn't have played games behind closed doors, what do you think now? Surely you enjoyed that? I knew you would.

Yeah, I've been proven wrong - I've enjoyed it all, apart from Arsenal (obviously), it's been brilliant

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Defence on 22:48 - Jul 5 with 1123 viewsSaintsforeverj

Defence on 22:43 - Jul 5 by Gennaro_Contaldo

Yeah, I've been proven wrong - I've enjoyed it all, apart from Arsenal (obviously), it's been brilliant

Fair play to you and up the Saints.

Defence on 09:25 - Jul 6 with 1044 viewsSadoldgit

We got hammered in the second half and if we played like that every week we would go down. Fortunately we don’t have to play City every week so will have more of the ball rather than just defending for our lives. Having said that everyone put in a great shift and even Ings was back defending. A well earned 3 points and a rare home win not to be sniffed at but be honest, would you like to see us being battered like that every week?
Defence on 09:40 - Jul 6 with 1035 viewsdirk_doone

Defence on 09:25 - Jul 6 by Sadoldgit

We got hammered in the second half and if we played like that every week we would go down. Fortunately we don’t have to play City every week so will have more of the ball rather than just defending for our lives. Having said that everyone put in a great shift and even Ings was back defending. A well earned 3 points and a rare home win not to be sniffed at but be honest, would you like to see us being battered like that every week?

The funny thing is according to the official stats for the game, City only had 6 shots on target the whole game, compared to our 4, because shots which are blocked by a defender before they reach the goal don't count as 'on target'.

When City played away to Real Madrid in the Champions League, City had 8 shots on target compared to Real's 3.
[Post edited 6 Jul 2020 9:55]

Defence on 10:42 - Jul 6 with 979 viewsNumber_58

Defence on 21:13 - Jul 5 by Saintsforeverj

Great game yesterday but no-one will ever convince me that the lack of fans doesn't influence results overall, especially for the teams at the bottom. We had enough great escapes of our own over the years at The Dell to know how influential the crowd can be.
Defence on 10:58 - Jul 6 with 963 viewsSaintsforeverj

Defence on 10:42 - Jul 6 by Number_58

Great game yesterday but no-one will ever convince me that the lack of fans doesn't influence results overall, especially for the teams at the bottom. We had enough great escapes of our own over the years at The Dell to know how influential the crowd can be.

Crowds probably do have some effect, but still better to play the games and enjoy a Saints win against Man City behind closed doors rather than not at all.
[Post edited 6 Jul 2020 10:58]

Defence on 13:15 - Jul 6 with 912 viewsNumber_58

Defence on 10:58 - Jul 6 by Saintsforeverj

Crowds probably do have some effect, but still better to play the games and enjoy a Saints win against Man City behind closed doors rather than not at all.
[Post edited 6 Jul 2020 10:58]

I think when it comes to watching your own team on TV it doesn't matter if there's 50 people in the ground or 50,000 as we all get so engrossed in the game we tend not to think about the crowd (and we probably all added our own crowd noises at home yesterday!). But watching other team's matches has been quite tedious at times. Listening on the radio is particularly tough as the crowd noise normally gives an indication of the flow of the game as much as the commentary. In fact, in a few matches it was hard to tell if a goal had been scored cos the commentator was so matter-of-fact about it. At least Adam Blackmore puts some passion into it.
Defence on 13:42 - Jul 6 with 891 viewsdirk_doone

There have been other battling defensive performances this season. In fact, we have beaten 3 of the top 4 teams. Pity we aren't playing Liverpool now or it would probably be all 4:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50847254

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50908727

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50990601
[Post edited 6 Jul 2020 13:53]

Defence on 17:09 - Jul 6 with 823 viewsButty101

Defence on 13:42 - Jul 6 by dirk_doone

There have been other battling defensive performances this season. In fact, we have beaten 3 of the top 4 teams. Pity we aren't playing Liverpool now or it would probably be all 4:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50847254

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50908727

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50990601
[Post edited 6 Jul 2020 13:53]

Not sure you can include Spurs as a top team! Have you seen the table?

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Defence on 17:28 - Jul 6 with 813 viewsdirk_doone

Defence on 17:09 - Jul 6 by Butty101

Not sure you can include Spurs as a top team! Have you seen the table?

We've beaten Man City, Leicester and Chelsea. That's 3 of the top 4. Even though we beat them last season as well, beating Spurs always seems a bit special too..

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024