Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Elyounoussi 13:19 - Dec 16 with 1737 viewsDorsetIan

We've played 17 PL games this season and we've won 3. All 3 came in the four game run starting at home to Leeds on 16th October, just after JWP had been suspended. We were unlucky not to beat Burnley and then had wins at Watford and against Villa.

After that run, going into the Norwich game, we looked solid for the first time in a long time.

Elyounoussi started in all four of those games. He came off at around the 60 minute mark against Norwich before they scored their winner.

I'm pretty sure he hasn't started since. But he's been on the bench so I presume he's been fit.

I know he's not perfect and that he should score more but I think he adds experience and control to our attack.

It may be a coincidence but I think the fact that we were looking more solid going into the Norwich game was in part down to his presence in those previous four games.

If S Armstrong is unavailable I think Elyounoussi should start. We need the steadiness and experience of one of them in the team. Tella and Redmond are too similar.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Elyounoussi on 13:23 - Dec 16 with 1724 viewssaints__fan__73

We haven't won a PL game without Stuart Armstrong since 2019.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Elyounoussi on 13:43 - Dec 16 with 1693 viewssaint901

I think Ely has much to offer the team but that RH - in looking for bit more scoring potential - has made a subtle change which keeps Ely out of the side for now.

It seems that RH like Adams/Armstrong up front and that they are supported by Redmond who regularly goes past them into a more forward position as does Tella. This leaves JWP in the "hole" and Romeu as a holding player.

When one of Adams/Armstrong is not playing and we have Broja, RH seems to think that we still need the midfielders going beyond the centre forward.

Maybe so. In that formation though, Redmond and Tella (supplemented by the full backs) are key.

Perhaps RH thinks Ely - who I think does not regularly go beyond the forwards - crowds JWP for space and thereby we lose an attacking threat and become muddled in the middle of the pitch.

Ely is more likely to be an effective defender than either of Redmond or Tella. He is better able to read the game and make interceptions or track runs. This is perhaps a better reason why our results are better when he is in the team and why we become more vulnerable when he leaves the pitch?
Elyounoussi on 13:51 - Dec 16 with 1687 viewsDorsetIan

Elyounoussi on 13:43 - Dec 16 by saint901

I think Ely has much to offer the team but that RH - in looking for bit more scoring potential - has made a subtle change which keeps Ely out of the side for now.

It seems that RH like Adams/Armstrong up front and that they are supported by Redmond who regularly goes past them into a more forward position as does Tella. This leaves JWP in the "hole" and Romeu as a holding player.

When one of Adams/Armstrong is not playing and we have Broja, RH seems to think that we still need the midfielders going beyond the centre forward.

Maybe so. In that formation though, Redmond and Tella (supplemented by the full backs) are key.

Perhaps RH thinks Ely - who I think does not regularly go beyond the forwards - crowds JWP for space and thereby we lose an attacking threat and become muddled in the middle of the pitch.

Ely is more likely to be an effective defender than either of Redmond or Tella. He is better able to read the game and make interceptions or track runs. This is perhaps a better reason why our results are better when he is in the team and why we become more vulnerable when he leaves the pitch?

For me, it was working and it isn't now.

JWP seems to spend much of his time defending and (free kicks aside) I don't think he is as creative in attack as either S Armstrong or Ely.

If we are always looking for 2 players in midfield alongside Romeu and JWP, it's seems better if one of them is of the Tella/Redmond type and the other of the S Armstrong/Ely type. It just feels more balanced to me.

Elyounoussi on 14:59 - Dec 16 with 1622 viewsinthebox

Yes, this a very good point. Along with Stuart Armstrong, Elyounoussi are probably are most intelligent and creative players and opponents are wary of them.
Elyounoussi on 17:16 - Dec 16 with 1539 viewsTimSaint

Ely had a great chance to impress his boss (and potential suitors, if you believe the rumours) last Saturday, when he came on as a 43rd minute sub, away to Arsenal.

His performance at the Emirates perhaps confirms why Will Smallbone was selected ahead of him last night.

TimSaint

Elyounoussi on 21:08 - Dec 16 with 1456 viewsDorsetIan

Elyounoussi on 17:16 - Dec 16 by TimSaint

Ely had a great chance to impress his boss (and potential suitors, if you believe the rumours) last Saturday, when he came on as a 43rd minute sub, away to Arsenal.

His performance at the Emirates perhaps confirms why Will Smallbone was selected ahead of him last night.

He replaced Adam Armstrong at Arsenal. I wasn't there so I don't know whether he was a straight swap but we were already 2-0 down by then.

It seems he needs to start, not be brought on as an impact sub. The other games he's started include Newcastle (where he scored), and the two 0-0s against West Ham and Man City, both very good results.

Will Smallbone has shown very little as far as I can see.

Elyounoussi on 21:20 - Dec 16 with 1452 viewsBerber

Looks like Romeu has take over the "let's give the ball away" mantle until he comes back into the side.
Elyounoussi on 14:30 - Dec 18 with 1317 viewsTimSaint

Elyounoussi on 21:08 - Dec 16 by DorsetIan

He replaced Adam Armstrong at Arsenal. I wasn't there so I don't know whether he was a straight swap but we were already 2-0 down by then.

It seems he needs to start, not be brought on as an impact sub. The other games he's started include Newcastle (where he scored), and the two 0-0s against West Ham and Man City, both very good results.

Surely being brought on in the 43rd minute doesn't warrant the role impact sub ? He was brought on because of injury and had more than 50 minutes to make an impression.

He was good in the Newcastle, West Ham and City games you mentioned, but they were all 3 months or more ago !!

Perhaps the fact that he has not pushed on, or continued to put in the same level of performance as he did earlier in the season, explains why he is not an automatic choice now (despite S Armstrong's absence) and the likes of Tella and Smallbone are being selected ahead of him.

I'm sure there is a player in there somewhere, but we need to find it soon, otherwise he will be another in the long line of expensive flops.

TimSaint

Login to get fewer ads

Elyounoussi on 15:08 - Dec 18 with 1298 viewsDorsetIan

Elyounoussi on 14:30 - Dec 18 by TimSaint

Surely being brought on in the 43rd minute doesn't warrant the role impact sub ? He was brought on because of injury and had more than 50 minutes to make an impression.

He was good in the Newcastle, West Ham and City games you mentioned, but they were all 3 months or more ago !!

Perhaps the fact that he has not pushed on, or continued to put in the same level of performance as he did earlier in the season, explains why he is not an automatic choice now (despite S Armstrong's absence) and the likes of Tella and Smallbone are being selected ahead of him.

I'm sure there is a player in there somewhere, but we need to find it soon, otherwise he will be another in the long line of expensive flops.

I thought he was good in that 4 game run when we won 3 too.

For me, it’s indicative of Ralph’s tinkering that Ely has not started for so long. It’s like he’s always searching for the magic formation to turn us into world beaters whereas I think we need to consolidate on small improvements - do a bit more sticking and a bit less twisting.

Elyounoussi on 16:00 - Dec 18 with 1270 viewsBicester_North

Elyounoussi on 21:08 - Dec 16 by DorsetIan

Smallbone looked pretty good just before he got injured, now he’s only had a couple of games back. He could do with a run and I thought we looked a better shape for having him in the team on Wednesday.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Elyounoussi on 19:05 - Dec 26 with 997 viewsDorsetIan

Another Ely start. A goal. Another win.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence.

Elyounoussi on 22:41 - Dec 26 with 855 viewsElijahK

I think it is a coincidence, but I still think that he’s one of our best wingers (as only Armstrong and sometimes Redmond are really any better) so should be playing most games anyway. But he sure was class today, and if he’s got the fitness, should certainly start on Tuesday

Poll: Should the football be on again next weekend

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024