Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is he coming or not? 16:44 - Jun 1 with 2946 viewssaint901

Seems like the deal to bring Russell Martin to SMS is stalling over compensation?

The difference looks to be about £750k.

Are we really so strapped that this is blocking a much hailed three year contract?
Is he coming or not? on 17:10 - Jun 1 with 2882 viewsNYC_Saint

The SR interview said something to the effect that Jason Willcox will have ultimate say. Now he's here maybe he's not impressed and/or thinks he can convince Peps assistant to come across. That seemed to work out well for Arsenal.
Is he coming or not? on 17:21 - Jun 1 with 2870 viewsgrumpy

All seems a waste of time and money to me.
Is he coming or not? on 18:14 - Jun 1 with 2797 viewsdirk_doone

It's almost certain that he is. There were similar negotiations over compensation when we got Nathan Jones. I can't say I was too enthused at the prospect of either of them and was hoping that negotiatons would break down but that's just a pipe dream.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Is he coming or not? on 20:48 - Jun 1 with 2658 viewsinthebox

Apparently compensation for going to a premiership team 2mill to a Championship team 1.250 mill. Swansea say we were a Premiership team when we approached RM. Yet again it appears that Sports Republic are a shambles surely they should have made soundings before making a formal offer, and if not don't quibble about a few quid. Could be they are getting second thoughts and want a reason to back out.
Is he coming or not? on 12:24 - Jun 2 with 2489 viewssaint901

One of my sons is a Reading fan.

He thinks Martin would be a poor fit for us because he plays a possession based game. That has not worked in the Champ for Swansea and arguably they have better strikers than us.

That said I watched the Shef Wed/Barnsley playoff. The teams didn't need a midfield because it was just a series of long balls. If that is the standard, we should be top half of the table at least.
Is he coming or not? on 12:29 - Jun 2 with 2486 viewsCity_boy

Is he coming or not? on 20:48 - Jun 1 by inthebox

Apparently compensation for going to a premiership team 2mill to a Championship team 1.250 mill. Swansea say we were a Premiership team when we approached RM. Yet again it appears that Sports Republic are a shambles surely they should have made soundings before making a formal offer, and if not don't quibble about a few quid. Could be they are getting second thoughts and want a reason to back out.

I think Saints are right to stand their ground on this, if the reason is compensation. It's not as if we will lose a proven Premier or European Manager. £2m seems a lot for somebody like Martin. I am happy to give him a chance but would not be upset if he doesn't.
Is he coming or not? on 18:21 - Jun 2 with 2313 viewsRon11

Is he coming or not? on 12:29 - Jun 2 by City_boy

I think Saints are right to stand their ground on this, if the reason is compensation. It's not as if we will lose a proven Premier or European Manager. £2m seems a lot for somebody like Martin. I am happy to give him a chance but would not be upset if he doesn't.

Especially when you consider that Saints probably had make a 5 million pay off to Jones for producing 3 points and nothing else.
Is he coming or not? on 11:49 - Jun 3 with 2085 viewsSteveMoron

I still think Potter might come. He loves the South Coast.
Login to get fewer ads

Is he coming or not? on 12:17 - Jun 3 with 2059 viewsChesham_Saint

Is he coming or not? on 11:49 - Jun 3 by SteveMoron

I still think Potter might come. He loves the South Coast.

He’s my choice.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Is he coming or not? on 13:43 - Jun 4 with 1746 viewsNewdawn2014

Is he coming or not? on 12:17 - Jun 3 by Chesham_Saint

He’s my choice.

it would be one thing this season that will make it all worthwhile , but we know that wont happen but I hope I`m wrong.
Is he coming or not? on 21:09 - Jun 4 with 1608 viewsTripleNiemi

Is he coming or not? on 12:24 - Jun 2 by saint901

One of my sons is a Reading fan.

He thinks Martin would be a poor fit for us because he plays a possession based game. That has not worked in the Champ for Swansea and arguably they have better strikers than us.

That said I watched the Shef Wed/Barnsley playoff. The teams didn't need a midfield because it was just a series of long balls. If that is the standard, we should be top half of the table at least.

Let’s be honest, the majority of clubs in the Championship have better strikers than us…..
[Post edited 4 Jun 2023 21:10]

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Is he coming or not? on 21:26 - Jun 4 with 1578 viewsgrumpy

Is he coming or not? on 21:09 - Jun 4 by TripleNiemi

Let’s be honest, the majority of clubs in the Championship have better strikers than us…..
[Post edited 4 Jun 2023 21:10]

If we had used the strikers we did have might of helped.
[Post edited 4 Jun 2023 21:26]
Is he coming or not? on 11:09 - Jun 6 with 1366 viewsdirk_doone

I thought this post on Swansea fansnetwork was quite amusing:

BarrySwan

Russell Martin : The sticking points and the truth behind them on 13:18 - Jun 4

Whilst I'm fully supportive of the Swans giving Southampton compensation to take Martin off our hands I'm also supportive of the board playing hardball in regards to how much we should give them.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2023 11:09]

Is he coming or not? on 11:12 - Jun 6 with 1349 viewsSaintNick

Is he coming or not? on 11:09 - Jun 6 by dirk_doone

I thought this post on Swansea fansnetwork was quite amusing:

BarrySwan

Russell Martin : The sticking points and the truth behind them on 13:18 - Jun 4

Whilst I'm fully supportive of the Swans giving Southampton compensation to take Martin off our hands I'm also supportive of the board playing hardball in regards to how much we should give them.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2023 11:09]

Swansea are a bit cash strapped at the moment, so I have no problem them holding out for £600 k extra or wait , I also have no problems with Saints waiting for the 14th and doing the best for our club.

The only danger is that the move could be hijacked in the next week if someone else comes in for him !

Fingers crossed on that one

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Is he coming or not? on 11:18 - Jun 6 with 1344 viewsdirk_doone

Is he coming or not? on 11:12 - Jun 6 by SaintNick

Swansea are a bit cash strapped at the moment, so I have no problem them holding out for £600 k extra or wait , I also have no problems with Saints waiting for the 14th and doing the best for our club.

The only danger is that the move could be hijacked in the next week if someone else comes in for him !

Looking at his poor career record, would any other club really be stupid enough to take him? Even lower league teams would be wary of him as he was a failure at League One level.

But, as you say, fingers crossed. Leicester took Vestergaard off our hands. Maybe they can do us another favour.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2023 11:28]

Is he coming or not? on 11:52 - Jun 6 with 1312 viewsSaintNick

Is he coming or not? on 11:18 - Jun 6 by dirk_doone

Looking at his poor career record, would any other club really be stupid enough to take him? Even lower league teams would be wary of him as he was a failure at League One level.

But, as you say, fingers crossed. Leicester took Vestergaard off our hands. Maybe they can do us another favour.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2023 11:28]

His career record doesn't scream out to you, but the same could be said for a number of managers who have got through to the Premier League in the last decade and had success of sorts.

Steve Cooper had no real experience when appointed by Swansea, a club similar in position to us when he arrived.

Is he coming or not? on 11:58 - Jun 6 with 1307 viewssaints__fan__73

Is he coming or not? on 11:52 - Jun 6 by SaintNick

His career record doesn't scream out to you, but the same could be said for a number of managers who have got through to the Premier League in the last decade and had success of sorts.

Steve Cooper had no real experience when appointed by Swansea, a club similar in position to us when he arrived.

He seems the Veggard Forren of managers, yes?

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Is he coming or not? on 12:25 - Jun 6 with 1272 viewsgrumpy

Is he coming or not? on 11:12 - Jun 6 by SaintNick

'The only danger is that the move could be hijacked in the next week if someone else comes in for him !'

Who else is looking at him?

Just give me one club who is interested?
Is he coming or not? on 12:33 - Jun 6 with 1263 viewsSaintNick

Is he coming or not? on 12:25 - Jun 6 by grumpy

'The only danger is that the move could be hijacked in the next week if someone else comes in for him !'

Who else is looking at him?

Just give me one club who is interested?

Calm down, I didn't say that anyone was looking at him, only that this is the only thing that could happen to scupper the deal, perhaps you could e mail current clubs in the Championship and below and alert them to his availability

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024