Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southampton V Millwall The Verdict 10:15 - Feb 26 with 1569 viewsSaintsNews

Southampton V Millwall The Verdict 26th Feb 2024 10:13
Saints made the same old mistakes and made it 3 defeats out of 4, but more crucially slipped 5 points shy of the automatic promotion spot, it has to be said that once again Russell Martin got his team selection wrong. 20

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
Southampton V Millwall The Verdict on 11:32 - Feb 26 with 1423 viewsButty101

There was nothing wrong with the line up. It was the weird trying to be clever tactics replicating Man City and liverpool by pushing defenders into false midfield positions.

Armstrong was invisible against Hull. maybe he needs a rest.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Southampton V Millwall The Verdict on 11:48 - Feb 26 with 1400 viewsIfonly

Southampton V Millwall The Verdict on 11:32 - Feb 26 by Butty101

There was nothing wrong with the line up. It was the weird trying to be clever tactics replicating Man City and liverpool by pushing defenders into false midfield positions.

Armstrong was invisible against Hull. maybe he needs a rest.

Absolutely agree. Nonsense to say that this was all down to not playing Manning and AA. We didn't look too great when the subs came on either.

This was down to our tactics and style of play. Other teams have worked us out and there are obvious ways to stop us playing so long as the opposition are half decent - or just well organised and determined as Millwall were. Once they've done that we have no plan B.
Southampton V Millwall The Verdict on 12:02 - Feb 26 with 1371 viewssaint22

I am afraid it’s a bigger issue than Wussells team selection
It’s his general “I can do no wrong” and the fact that he is tinkering with the team EVERY game
You win nothing without a solid base and spine and we don’t have one really and especially when it changes EVERY game
Need a keeper - two CBs you could say we have but no replacements- no solid midfielder when Downes isn’t there and no focal point up front
Southampton V Millwall The Verdict on 12:23 - Feb 26 with 1330 viewsSonicBoom

I have two issues with it.

Firstly Rylan Martin (once you see that, you cant unsee it, sorry) seems to have lost confidence since the Bristol game and suddenly we are setting up worried about what the other team is going to do. We've played teams much lower in the table but instead of imposing ourselves on them we've set up seemingly to counteract what they might do.

Secondly we play very much at one tempo and when it doesn't work we are toothless. We obsess over possession but it's at walking pace. Watching Leicester and Leeds they both want possession but they are willing to risk playing at a much higher tempo in order to create chances and look far more dangerous. Hence we get 81% and very few chances.
Southampton V Millwall The Verdict on 12:24 - Feb 26 with 1322 viewsHeisenberg

Southampton V Millwall The Verdict on 12:02 - Feb 26 by saint22

It’s his general “I can do no wrong” and the fact that he is tinkering with the team EVERY game
You win nothing without a solid base and spine and we don’t have one really and especially when it changes EVERY game
Need a keeper - two CBs you could say we have but no replacements- no solid midfielder when Downes isn’t there and no focal point up front

So that’s no defence, a poor midfield and goalkeeper and a toothless attack ?

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

Southampton V Millwall The Verdict on 12:46 - Feb 26 with 1286 viewsIfonly

Sure you can complain about the team and say that we are weak in certain positions but that misses the point. We already have the 2nd highest wage bill in the Championship and a squad that would be the envy of almost all the other clubs. This squad has enough quality to be promoted if it is used properly - and that is the manager's job.

Also:
- The reason we spent a lot of money on Baz and the reason he plays is down to our possession style. If we weren't so focused on playing out from the back, we could play a keeper who was better at stopping goals.
- The best replacement CB we can get is JS. No quality CB is going to want to come to us and sit on the bench in the Championship.
- Shea Charles is meant to be the Downes replacement but once again we spent too much on a player that isn't ready because we wanted to be a mini-me Man City
Southampton V Millwall The Verdict on 17:49 - Feb 26 with 1095 viewskingslandstand1

Isn't it a bigger worry that the players we are now starting to depend upon (which you have been highlighting), with a few exceptions obviously, are loanees and even if we do get there or thereabouts at the end of the season where do we go then when they return to parent clubs?
Southampton V Millwall The Verdict on 20:37 - Feb 26 with 933 viewsgrumpy

Very Disappointing.
Neil Harris has Martin sussed,did it at Gillingham and did it on Saturday.
Millwall were very aggressive particularly at the start and took out our most direct player Fraser after only 19 min.
Edozie his replacement got the same treatment.
There is a lack of leadership when things go wrong on and off the pitch,I don't like forwards(Armstrong) being Captain and Stephens isn't a first choice anyway.
I wasn't impressed with Martins appointment but I was impressed by his unbeaten run but he has a very good squad of players for the championship so he should.
Teams have sussed us out,press us hard in our half and don't let us have the time to build.
Bazunu can make superb saves but all to often he looks like an accident waiting to happen.
Buying an injured striker was ridiculous not replacing him even more so.
Will we get promoted No,is it the end of the world No.
[Post edited 26 Feb 20:39]
Login to get fewer ads

Southampton V Millwall The Verdict on 09:03 - Feb 27 with 671 viewskingslandstand1

Southampton V Millwall The Verdict on 20:37 - Feb 26 by grumpy

Very Disappointing.
Millwall were very aggressive particularly at the start and took out our most direct player Fraser after only 19 min.
There is a lack of leadership when things go wrong on and off the pitch,I don't like forwards(Armstrong) being Captain and Stephens isn't a first choice anyway.
I wasn't impressed with Martins appointment but I was impressed by his unbeaten run but he has a very good squad of players for the championship so he should.
Teams have sussed us out,press us hard in our half and don't let us have the time to build.
Bazunu can make superb saves but all to often he looks like an accident waiting to happen.

Good post Grumps!
Southampton V Millwall The Verdict on 10:06 - Feb 27 with 632 viewsGRIM

Southampton V Millwall The Verdict on 09:03 - Feb 27 by kingslandstand1

Good post Grumps!

That was RM's first mistake naming Stephen's as Club Captain (just because he's been here the longest) then in his absence naming Adam Armstrong as Captain.
Neither of them are good examples of being a Captain.
Captains should be the on field managers, they need to be confident, to set good examples, & be decision makers.
Neither JS or AA come into this category.
( in my opinion neither of them should be regulars in the side).
Despite his young age Harwood Bellis should Captain the side.
But the captaincy is not the only problem with this side, we just aren't big or physical enough, this league demands physicality.
Teams like Millwall just bully & intimidate our light weights.
You need a mix of aggression & quality like Leicester & Leeds, that is why those two teams stand out in this league.
Southampton V Millwall The Verdict on 10:16 - Feb 27 with 625 viewsdirk_doone

Southampton V Millwall The Verdict on 20:37 - Feb 26 by grumpy

Very Disappointing.

When a team comes here intent on inujring our most creative players, they do it early on and, like Millwall, sem to evade punishment for it. Fortunately, there aren't many teams like Millwall but our players need to take a leaf out of Man United's playbook and mob the referee when it happens. If we had vocal fans behind the goal, where the ref might notice them, the crowd could play its part too. Unfortunately, the setup at St Mary's means the ref notices the away fans more.
[Post edited 27 Feb 11:25]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Southampton V Millwall The Verdict on 10:22 - Feb 27 with 612 viewssaint901

We were discussing before Christmas this period in our season. We were saying that as injuries and suspensions and fatigue come into play, we are going to be more reliant upon a solid tactical plan and a way of playing that grinds out results.

Not winning in this part of the season is not make or break - but losing is. A point v Hull and Millwall would have kept us close enough to the top two. Two losses are very damaging.

The team should by now be picking itself outside of injuries. The manager should be able to put 8 names on the team sheet before he has to think hard. He's had time to sort the wheat from the chaff. He should know his players, how they like to play, what suits them tactically and how to bring them all together.

In my view (and I hate to say I told you so) the unnecessary tinkering with personnel and tactics and shape etc now - when we need stability - is something born of a lack of experience and - I can't believe I'm saying this of RM - a lack of confidence.

The Liverpool game is a shot to nothing because nobody expects us to win and even with a fully fit first 11 we are unlikely to do so. Much as I hate to say it, I'd be tempted to pick a team with as few first team regulars as possible, because we're going to need them in the league.

This little blip is I'm afraid at RM's door.
Southampton V Millwall The Verdict on 10:42 - Feb 27 with 603 viewsGRIM

Southampton V Millwall The Verdict on 10:22 - Feb 27 by saint901

We were discussing before Christmas this period in our season. We were saying that as injuries and suspensions and fatigue come into play, we are going to be more reliant upon a solid tactical plan and a way of playing that grinds out results.

Not winning in this part of the season is not make or break - but losing is. A point v Hull and Millwall would have kept us close enough to the top two. Two losses are very damaging.

The team should by now be picking itself outside of injuries. The manager should be able to put 8 names on the team sheet before he has to think hard. He's had time to sort the wheat from the chaff. He should know his players, how they like to play, what suits them tactically and how to bring them all together.

In my view (and I hate to say I told you so) the unnecessary tinkering with personnel and tactics and shape etc now - when we need stability - is something born of a lack of experience and - I can't believe I'm saying this of RM - a lack of confidence.

The Liverpool game is a shot to nothing because nobody expects us to win and even with a fully fit first 11 we are unlikely to do so. Much as I hate to say it, I'd be tempted to pick a team with as few first team regulars as possible, because we're going to need them in the league.

This little blip is I'm afraid at RM's door.

RM described recent results as a little bump in the road.
Well a little bump in the road can do a lot of damage & soon become a mountain.
That's what we have now a mountain to climb to get automatic promotion.
It's not impossible but very unlikely.
I did notice that when Che Adams scored on Saturday there was no rush to mob him, just Joe Aribo. Is the spirit draining out of the players & will they get over this bump in the road.
Southampton V Millwall The Verdict on 11:02 - Feb 27 with 584 viewssaint901

I'd hope RM knows that he has a problem here.

Leeds are on a roll with some confidence. Ipswich seem to have ridden out their blip. Leicester might be team who falter but if Leeds/Ipswich don't then it makes no difference to us.

I think RM's handling of some players has been debatable. Adams is a good example. He's in and out of the side based on what? His attitude in training? His form (which even at 75% is better than for example Mara or Aribo as a forward)? His wish to be away?

It's RM's job to get the best from him. If he thinks Adams is not playing for him, he should has sold him in January. By keeping him he's saying "you're part of my plans" but still can't get a decent 90 minutes from him.

Sadly I think RM is all about RM and he needs to realise that the one thing a team needs above all - especially now - is belief.

Not belief in RM or even his tactics but belief in themselves.

Unfortunately I think RM destroyed much of this with his tinkering.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024