Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
9th Or 17th That Is the Story Of Saints Last Two Weeks Of The Season 10:25 - May 5 with 1312 viewsSaintsNews

9th Or 17th That Is the Story Of Saints Last Two Weeks Of The Season 5th May 2022 10:22
A neutral observer reading Southampton FC social media pages might be confused about just what the last two weeks of the season holds, they will be wonder why a side who could still finish 9th in the League are being touted as relegation candidates by their own supporters. 9

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
9th Or 17th That Is the Story Of Saints Last Two Weeks Of The Season on 11:01 - May 5 with 1274 viewssaint901

Having been accused of being a "Ralph cult follower" elsewhere (and given up on that thread because it's quite nice when you stop hitting your head against a wall) the point int the article here I would generally agree with.

Yes RH has made some errors, he's not addressed some issues that he could have done, he's sometimes done things that are odd.

Equally he found Tino who played well for a time and is a long term prospect, improved KWP, brought JWP back into form, used Broja well (until he decided his future is blue), had the team create a decent run where we looked impressive.

My point is that all those who want to replace him cannot point to anybody in th ePL who is markedly better in terms of their team performance, or if they are, they are at clubs "bigger" than ours.

But in thier eyes, having a manager with no PL experience, no funds (the new owners have a debt mountain to manage), no chance of significant squad improvement, is better than RH.

Just don't get it.
9th Or 17th That Is the Story Of Saints Last Two Weeks Of The Season on 11:27 - May 5 with 1262 viewssaintwizzler

9th Or 17th That Is the Story Of Saints Last Two Weeks Of The Season on 11:01 - May 5 by saint901

Having been accused of being a "Ralph cult follower" elsewhere (and given up on that thread because it's quite nice when you stop hitting your head against a wall) the point int the article here I would generally agree with.

Yes RH has made some errors, he's not addressed some issues that he could have done, he's sometimes done things that are odd.

Equally he found Tino who played well for a time and is a long term prospect, improved KWP, brought JWP back into form, used Broja well (until he decided his future is blue), had the team create a decent run where we looked impressive.

My point is that all those who want to replace him cannot point to anybody in th ePL who is markedly better in terms of their team performance, or if they are, they are at clubs "bigger" than ours.

But in thier eyes, having a manager with no PL experience, no funds (the new owners have a debt mountain to manage), no chance of significant squad improvement, is better than RH.

Just don't get it.

‘Yes RH has made some errors, he's not addressed some issues that he could have done, he's sometimes done things that are odd.’
Ain’t that the truth.

Whilst we stay in Premier League Hassenhüttl is here to stay.
Unless of course a better offer comes in then he’d be up the M3 quicker than you could say “For fućks sake Jazz Hands not Shane Long again”

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

9th Or 17th That Is the Story Of Saints Last Two Weeks Of The Season on 11:57 - May 5 with 1236 viewssaint901

Any manager of any team in any sport worth his salt wants to perform well. That's why they do the job (most of them unless you're Ted Lazzo who just wants to nurture his players as human beings which is all Hollywood and not real life).

Starting from there, managers will be hampered or aided by the club structures, funds, ambitions, financial obligations, and 100's of other matters BEFORE he can take a squad onto the training ground.

It's clear that in recent years, Saints owners have wanted max return for min investment. Eventually that tells as the squad quality drops.

I'm sure when RH presents his wish list of players he knows that he will get only one or two of them. He also knows that without improving the squad, the chance of a regular top 10 or above finish in the league is not possible. So because he is a professional, he does the best he can.

If we, the fans, think his best is not enough, we have a right to say so. And vice versa.

If we the fans think that a manager from another PL club would improve the present squad, then we have right to think and say that but it does not mean that it's true.

Without a long term plan, funded, to improve the squad and league position (and financially there's not much difference between finishing 8/9th and 15/16th, certainly not enough to risk tens of millions) the only way a new manager joins us is if it's a stepping stone to bigger clubs.

This is reality. If Pep came to us tomorrow would that guarantee a top 4/6/10 finish? I think not.
9th Or 17th That Is the Story Of Saints Last Two Weeks Of The Season on 11:57 - May 5 with 1226 viewssaints__fan__73

or 18th?

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

9th Or 17th That Is the Story Of Saints Last Two Weeks Of The Season on 14:13 - May 5 with 1143 viewsPoirot

Not interested in the league position , its all about the clear lack of management from Hassenhutll and his jobs for the boys coaches.

Sheer miracle we havent been scrapping it out in the bottom three this season.
9th Or 17th That Is the Story Of Saints Last Two Weeks Of The Season on 18:32 - May 5 with 1036 viewssaint901

9th Or 17th That Is the Story Of Saints Last Two Weeks Of The Season on 14:13 - May 5 by Poirot

Not interested in the league position , its all about the clear lack of management from Hassenhutll and his jobs for the boys coaches.

Sheer miracle we havent been scrapping it out in the bottom three this season.

Miracle or finding our level?

What benchmark do you use in comparing us under RH or us under A N Other?
9th Or 17th That Is the Story Of Saints Last Two Weeks Of The Season on 20:11 - May 5 with 982 viewssaint68

9th Or 17th That Is the Story Of Saints Last Two Weeks Of The Season on 18:32 - May 5 by saint901

Miracle or finding our level?

What benchmark do you use in comparing us under RH or us under A N Other?

Yet another battered wife syndrome post..know our level...

I dont want to sound insolent..but mate...its a bit defeatist and boring reading your posts in support of Ralph Hasneyfukinclue

Poll: Who would you want to save this season Pellegrino or Adkins

9th Or 17th That Is the Story Of Saints Last Two Weeks Of The Season on 20:16 - May 5 with 978 viewssaint901

9th Or 17th That Is the Story Of Saints Last Two Weeks Of The Season on 20:11 - May 5 by saint68

I dont want to sound insolent..but mate...its a bit defeatist and boring reading your posts in support of Ralph Hasneyfukinclue

It's equally boring reading posts saying "Ralph out" based on little more than personal opinion that ignores the facts.

If he's doing a demonstrably bad job, remove him.

However I think that unless we combine a new manager with half a new team, we will be no better.
Login to get fewer ads

9th Or 17th That Is the Story Of Saints Last Two Weeks Of The Season on 20:19 - May 5 with 976 viewssaint68

9th Or 17th That Is the Story Of Saints Last Two Weeks Of The Season on 20:16 - May 5 by saint901

It's equally boring reading posts saying "Ralph out" based on little more than personal opinion that ignores the facts.

If he's doing a demonstrably bad job, remove him.

However I think that unless we combine a new manager with half a new team, we will be no better.

He alienates good players and baffles the entire squad and stadium weekly.. so on that basis..Ralph out.

Poll: Who would you want to save this season Pellegrino or Adkins

9th Or 17th That Is the Story Of Saints Last Two Weeks Of The Season on 21:45 - May 5 with 913 viewsSaintsforeverj

The Ralph saga, in or out continues. The two nine nils have certainly not done him any favours. It can't be argued that these were and are embarrassing. It's clear that he's not very good at coaching the defence. But it still remains that for the money spent, you can't realistically expect very much.

Unless we spend decent money on some quality players, things won't change. If you could build a great team without spending loads of money, then all teams would do it and save the money wouldn't they. All the great teams have spent huge amounts of money (Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea and soon to be Newcastle). If a new manager came in, Redmond would still run around the pitch with no end product, Adams would still miss, Stephens and Bednerak would still stand there motionless. Things won't change unless we invest in the team.
[Post edited 5 May 2022 21:49]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

9th Or 17th That Is the Story Of Saints Last Two Weeks Of The Season on 00:19 - May 6 with 853 viewsPatfromPoole

It is going to take me a while to get over his team selection for the Cup quarter-final.

Against one of the top 5 teams on the planet.

With no imminent game in the League.

Just ridiculous. Trying to look a smart arse and it backfired.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

9th Or 17th That Is the Story Of Saints Last Two Weeks Of The Season on 06:21 - May 6 with 800 viewssaintwizzler

9th Or 17th That Is the Story Of Saints Last Two Weeks Of The Season on 00:19 - May 6 by PatfromPoole

It is going to take me a while to get over his team selection for the Cup quarter-final.

What about the Smallbone experiment at home v Watford that lasted till half time.
Even he didn’t know where he was playing.
Watford are the second worse team in the league.

The excuse that day?
Watford’s play acting and time wasting.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

9th Or 17th That Is the Story Of Saints Last Two Weeks Of The Season on 09:40 - May 6 with 731 viewssaints__fan__73

9th Or 17th That Is the Story Of Saints Last Two Weeks Of The Season on 20:11 - May 5 by saint68

But the PL is all about money and over the past 6-8 years we have spent less than any team in the PL.

The Championship (and Lower) is packed with teams who spent around our level and were in the PL at one time or another.

Every year a team(s) gets promoted with more spending power than us (Wolves, Villa, etc) and the little pool of teams we are fighting on an equal footing with gets smaller and smaller.

It's a miracle we are still in the PL. Other than the big boys we are just about the longest serving member of the PL (even though our promotion doesn't feel that long ago).

It's madness to think this can be solved by going back to getting a new manager every season. For a start what decent manager would want to join a club that in some transfer windows literally can not afford to spend £1 - what other club does that in the PL?

Yes things need to change but it's in how the club is run not how the first team is managed.

9th Or 17th That Is the Story Of Saints Last Two Weeks Of The Season on 10:14 - May 6 with 711 viewsSonicBoom

Wow you are dangerously close to agreeing with Nick there. Steady on.

My 5 cents would be that when I'm calm and being sensible I think you can't judge how well a manager does when he has no budget. Ralph has done well to keep us in the PL largely drama free for the last few years. It's not his fault the ownership hasn't had money. Maybe given some money to spend he could start to achieve more. By and large he has achieved the best he could with the tools he has. I'd keep him and see what the new ownership can do to support him.

That said there are times when regardless of budget he just seems to have a meltdown and makes ludicrous decisions. Some of the team selections for key games are utterly baffling and he does seem to freeze when action needs to be taken within a game. Sometimes we play 5 formations in one game. Is that brilliant tactical flexibility or sheer panic.
Nicks' phrase that madness is repeating the same things and expecting different outcomes applies to Ralph too. Playing Stephens with Bednarek? Redmond as a striker? Adams up front on his own? And Long is supposed to be ten minute tactical sub - yet Ralph gives him 90 minutes? Really? He's still our best option? Ridiculous.
And I will never get over those 9-0's. People say those teams could do that to anyone and it doesn't matter. They don't do it to everyone, that's why they are record scores. To do it once was bad enough - but we did it twice.

But overall Ralph has done enough good things to earn a shot now that we have new owners with perhaps a little more freedom to do what he wants. It'll be interesting. Will he build a better stronger side - or will he buy more random players, not find a shape that works and still bung Long up front? I literally have no idea.
9th Or 17th That Is the Story Of Saints Last Two Weeks Of The Season on 10:29 - May 6 with 694 viewssaints__fan__73

9th Or 17th That Is the Story Of Saints Last Two Weeks Of The Season on 00:19 - May 6 by PatfromPoole

Seems a bit of an over-reaction. It wasn't exactly the team that we played West Ham with (an won).

The City team (which we got to half-time 1-1 with) was pretty much the team we are playing in the PL now. The only difference was playing the Bad Armstrong instead of Broja (but given the latter hasn't scored since the old King died that's not really that much of a thing to get worked up over.)

9th Or 17th That Is the Story Of Saints Last Two Weeks Of The Season on 12:22 - May 6 with 633 viewsinthebox

In Ralph's recent press conference he said the players get very down after a defeat and that he has raise their confident levels up again and almost start from scratch this explains our recent run of bad results. I've noticed that in post match interviews Ralph is very upbeat and full of praise but if we lose he's very down and looks as though he's taken a real battering. This extreme states of emotional intensity may have a detrimental effect on the players. Just a thought. COYR.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024