Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
2 Managers have lost their jobs, what about the players? 13:20 - Feb 13 with 1286 viewsA1079

We have now lost 2 managers this season. I believe Ralph Hassenhuttl was a good guy and I think most fans wanted him to succeed and he was given a fair chance despite some really heavy defeats and long runs of defeats etc, though in between there was some memorable moments. He probably ran out of steam but the time to have replaced him should have been at the end of last season not a quarter of a way through this and seemingly with the board deciding in the summer to give him until the world cup - hardly a ringing endorsement.

Then there was the recruitment policy in the summer of buying young inexperienced players but then in January with the wrong manager we actually make some decent appointments - timing, strategy - it all seems to be so disjointed.

Jones - what an awful and misplaced appointment. Though I suspect he is a decent guy he was simply out of his depth and lacked the niceties of dealing with the media scrutiny. From the very first day he seemed a disaster waiting to happen. It was right he was dismissed this weekend but he should never have been appointed in the first place and for that SR have to seriously look at how they failed to respond properly to the situation in the summer and then made it worse by the appointment of Jones.

But, amongst all this are 2 other factors:-

1. the year on year dismantling of the quality of the squad since the departure of Pochettino and then Koeman. It was not a matter of if but when that would eventually impact the playing side. As some pundits have now said, as a team we seem a long way behind even other teams near the bottom;
2. the players themselves.

The players themselves, be it Saints or other clubs, seem to get away with criticism. They are professional footballers but so often either don't do the basics or for some inexplicable reason refuse to.

What possesses players to consistently fail to hit the target, what possesses the players not to do the basic defending, what possesses them not to tackle, chase balls etc? Then to make it worse they then interview and say how they must try harder next time, take the positives out of a game they have between them lost.

I was at the game on Saturday and how is it that we played so well upto virtually 60 minutes and then completely switched off and surrendered? Yes, you can argue that substitutions should have happened sooner, that the manager did not respond to how Wolves had changed their game but on the pitch there are some simple things really that you would expect professional footballers to do with or without a manager - what possessed JWP to do 2 free kicks in the manner he did (in such a crucial game) when he has never delivered a free kick like that before (as far as I can recall - but I could be wrong) - was he instructed to or did he decide to? - if the former, then given we were 2-1 down with minutes to go why did he not seize the initiative and do what he normally does? - yes, he may still have missed but what he did was inexplicable. If he was not instructed to deliver free kicks like that then you really have to question his judgement - I am a great fan of JWP and he has been a great servant to us but this season - I am not sure whether he is being the captain and leader on the pitch he should be. He may feel he is carrying too much burden and he could be but he is being paid well for it. I don't want him to leave or anything like that and I would rather have him in our team than lose him (accepting I_Would will berate me for this).

Week in week out why don't our goalkeeper and defenders do the simple things like just clear the ball out of danger if you are not good enough to play it out or the situation demands a basic simple response? They should be able to read and anticipate what is happening and all too often they don't. Oddly on Saturday for the first 45 minutes we actually did just clear the ball and it may not have been pretty but it was effective. In the 2nd half we reverted to type! For me Bednarek should not ever be in the team other than as a last resort but all our defenders have consistently shot themselves/team in the foot. As for the goalkeeper position - we seem woefully inept in that dept no matter who is between the sticks.

The thing with Saturday is that Wolves substitutions changed the game and made a difference - none of our substitutions did. Yes, they were too late but their was an attitude problem. On 2 occasions I was in line with Aribo and he had a chance to get to the ball before a Wolves player - he made no effort whatsoever. Instead of defending Wolves were then on the attack. Che Adams was several times given the chance to take a ball down but on each occasion he allowed the Wolves defender to get to the ball first - on the face of it he just couldn't be bothered - now he may have had the "hump" with being on the bench, but given his poor conversion record anyway, he cannot afford to pick and choose when he wants to perform.

Craig Dawson in the Wolves defence was immense for the whole game. He lead throughout even when things were against them. I didn't see a leader on our side and certainly not in the 2nd half.

Though I have focused this on Saturdays game in truth you could argue that there are myriads of similar examples over numerous games over the last season or so which may have contributed to our failings and our poor run of results. The managers take the responsibility and are paid well for it and remunerated well even if they fail (which is another debate) but the players be it of Saints or of any club that do not give there all and do their jobs as you and I are expected daily to do our jobs have a large slice of the responsibility (especially the experienced ones) and yet escape the criticism and scrutiny. I think Romeu has been a huge loss for us - not particularly from a skill perspective but from an influencing perspective. Every team needs that person just like we had with Jimmy Case, David Armstrong, Alan Ball, Steve Williams et al.

Whoever we get as manager next, the players need to step up big time because the managers may have failed but they the players have also let the club and the fans down for all too long (not just under Jones).
2 Managers have lost their jobs, what about the players? on 14:06 - Feb 13 with 1182 viewsUTS1885

Well said Sir, this mess has been going on for a number of seasons now and the board failed to act accordingly. I have no interest in Hasenhuttl's charisma, but Semmens did and just kept him irrespect of it putting the club in a downward spiral. Semmens wanted to be different and not be part of the 'six game fire brigade.' That may be valid for some instances, but when you lose 9-0 again and that being part of six in a row (club record) thats the end. Semmens also knew full well that Hasenhuttl wasnt well liked by many of the players. The coaches were useless. Its a miracle we didnt get relegated a couple of seasons back.

The gaslighting of fans by Semmens on the basis of 'What do you expect' and you 'should be grateful we're in the PL' sums up his inability for the job. Fans arent wanting anything more than a midtable side that doesnt sweat all season to get to that position.
2 Managers have lost their jobs, what about the players? on 14:17 - Feb 13 with 1158 viewsBerber

I am up north, but listened to the game. Joe Tessem was incredulous all the second half, at the space we gave them down the wings by playing a back 5 so poorly. Wondering why we didn’t change to a back 4. Why did we put our most dangerous player out on the wing where he couldn’t do so much damage. We can hardly blame the players for the abject second half.
2 Managers have lost their jobs, what about the players? on 14:20 - Feb 13 with 1151 viewssaints__fan__73

No managers have lost their jobs. They have lost their roles at the club but are still getting their monthly pay cheque.

Managers are needed to get the best out of the players. That is their role.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

2 Managers have lost their jobs, what about the players? on 15:33 - Feb 13 with 1082 viewsSonicBoom

I agree with what you say A1079.

The lack of technique is extraordinary. We lose the ability to make 10 yard passes which are the basic building blocks of being a professional footballer. We make three passes then someone plays a sloppy ball straight to the opposition. This undermines the entire team as no one trusts that they can run forward without fear of being exposed by a poor pass.
Assuming our mob are all actually professional footballers, then it can only be down to mental strength. The ability to get things right under pressure and quite clearly the current crop fold like a mars bar in a microwave.
2 Managers have lost their jobs, what about the players? on 17:05 - Feb 13 with 942 viewskingslandstand1

2 Managers have lost their jobs, what about the players? on 14:20 - Feb 13 by saints__fan__73

No managers have lost their jobs. They have lost their roles at the club but are still getting their monthly pay cheque.

Managers are needed to get the best out of the players. That is their role.

That's what pi55es me off, I'm not sure of contract details obviously but he'll still walk away with a couple of million quid for fukin our club up!

Normal walk of life and you get the sack, you don't even get a thank you, maybe a month's salary I guess
2 Managers have lost their jobs, what about the players? on 17:09 - Feb 13 with 938 viewssaints__fan__73

2 Managers have lost their jobs, what about the players? on 17:05 - Feb 13 by kingslandstand1

That's what pi55es me off, I'm not sure of contract details obviously but he'll still walk away with a couple of million quid for fukin our club up!

Normal walk of life and you get the sack, you don't even get a thank you, maybe a month's salary I guess

He'll get the full value of his contract. Or very near to it in a one-off lump sum payment.

In normal life you only get sacked for gross misconduct. You can't say any manager losing games of football constitutes this.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

2 Managers have lost their jobs, what about the players? on 19:00 - Feb 13 with 859 views1885_SFC

2 Managers have lost their jobs, what about the players? on 17:09 - Feb 13 by saints__fan__73

He'll get the full value of his contract. Or very near to it in a one-off lump sum payment.

In normal life you only get sacked for gross misconduct. You can't say any manager losing games of football constitutes this.

Jones committed gross misconduct by playing Janny B & Maitland-Niles from the start... and then making crap substitutions. Throw in sticking to a back 5 when one-nil up against ten men - and right there is your charge of gross misconduct.

Old School is Cool

2 Managers have lost their jobs, what about the players? on 22:07 - Feb 13 with 732 viewskingslandstand1

2 Managers have lost their jobs, what about the players? on 17:09 - Feb 13 by saints__fan__73

He got sacked for failing to do what he was employed to do. Now whether he was given notice by means of a warning is probably a bit unclear, but not a bad sign off for a few weeks work!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024