Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I have never seen so much apathy 08:09 - Apr 28 with 1821 viewsgrumpy

amongst the fans,very sad.The gutless performance in such an important game and against Bournemouth was a disgrace. I thought the Branfoot days were bad but this season eclipsed them.In the Dell days that performance wouldn’t have got away so lightly.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2023 8:13]
I have never seen so much apathy on 08:32 - Apr 28 with 1711 viewskingslandstand1

I may start sounding a bit like Nick now regarding the fans, but there was apathy last night and an acceptance of our doom. But should the fans (us) do more when at SMS?

There were a couple of times when it seemed to wake up in the ground and as usual the first 10 mins was pretty good, but as the game progressed we weren't behind them. When Che "scored" I noticed Armstrong (S) tried to gee the crowd up and it seemed to work until the inevitable var

But go elsewhere when in the mire, say Leeds and Everton, even Forest, and their fans do seem to get behind the team. We just need that first goal to wake the crowd up

(Caveat - not sure what Goodison was like last night after the 2nd, even 3rd, went in)
(2nd Caveat - FFS Saints, play as if you want to stay up and give us something to show support as well)
I have never seen so much apathy on 08:51 - Apr 28 with 1656 viewsA1079

I have never seen so much apathy on 08:32 - Apr 28 by kingslandstand1

I may start sounding a bit like Nick now regarding the fans, but there was apathy last night and an acceptance of our doom. But should the fans (us) do more when at SMS?

There were a couple of times when it seemed to wake up in the ground and as usual the first 10 mins was pretty good, but as the game progressed we weren't behind them. When Che "scored" I noticed Armstrong (S) tried to gee the crowd up and it seemed to work until the inevitable var

But go elsewhere when in the mire, say Leeds and Everton, even Forest, and their fans do seem to get behind the team. We just need that first goal to wake the crowd up

(Caveat - not sure what Goodison was like last night after the 2nd, even 3rd, went in)
(2nd Caveat - FFS Saints, play as if you want to stay up and give us something to show support as well)

I do agree Kingslandstand that this time there seems to be a cold acceptance of our fate and the fans seem numb to it all and there is as much lack of fight and passion in our fanbase as there is on the pitch. I feel a bit of a hypocrite criticising though as I am not sure I am much better. I go and watch and get angry and this morning I feel very angry with the players, the manager, the owners et al but I don't actually know what to do about it. We don't seem to get behind the team like we used to. Strachan and McMenemy used to say that Saints fans may seem quiet and that they have no passion but you have to give them something and then they react and stick behind the team. The trouble is, this season, unlike other relegation battles, the team (at home especially) have given so little - they seem like they don't care. The players may argue that they get little vocal support - it becomes a catch 22 - but at the end of the day the players are paid well to put in a shift and all too often they haven't and if they did and the fans saw they were at least trying then I think we would respond. What is it - is it 2 home wins in the league this season and only about 7 in the last 12 months? and we pay alot to go! The players earn alot to play - or not, as the case seems.

What does surprise me is how little, if any, grief we have given the owners vocally. Fans of other clubs would not have just accepted it without some form of protest or noise. Even the journalists seem to let them off lightly.

I don't know what the answer is at all. It all just seems a bl**dy mess from top to bottom and sideways but from a football fan of Southampton all my life it is both sad, frustrating and very annoying.
I have never seen so much apathy on 09:09 - Apr 28 with 1612 viewsNumber_58

I totally agree that our fans are pretty apathetic, but it's hard to get yourself up for a game when the f*cking manager doesn't seem to realise the importance of it. I think we all knew what was going to happen last night as soon as the team was announced at 6.45. I've never really advocated booing and jeering your own team/manager during matches but I think it's probably the only thing that might make Selles do something positive.
I have never seen so much apathy on 10:01 - Apr 28 with 1494 viewsIfonly

SMS is part of the problem for sure. We're the only team who play better away. But for this to change, it has to start on the pitch. The fans need something worth cheering about. It doesn't even need to be wins. Just something that gives some excitement and you can get behind.

That's one of the many reasons we need a change in playing style. Yet again last night we had the majority of possession and did feck all with it. We need to take some risks and attack and we need to be physical about it. Football is supposed to be a physical game. That will get the crowd up. None of this will happen with Uselles in charge. For me I have zero belief in what Selles is doing (even less than with Jones) so it is very difficult to feel much passion. The sooner he's gone now the better. Just put one of the cleaners in charge until summer.
I have never seen so much apathy on 10:15 - Apr 28 with 1467 viewsbarry_sanchez

Stadiums play a part, ours is soulless, also fans in those clubs haven't got the home record we have over the last 5 years, fans have been ground into the dirt with shit performances, no pitch invasions or protest, sadly that doesn't surprise me as most other clubs would be going apeshit, we still believe some prick in a lumberjack shirt with sleeves rolled up that we're on a journey......
[Post edited 28 Apr 2023 10:59]

He who is silent and bows his head dies every time he does so. He who speaks aloud and walks with his head held high dies only once. —Giovanni Falcone
Poll: What is your favourite poll?

I have never seen so much apathy on 10:46 - Apr 28 with 1414 viewsericofarabia

In the last 5 seasons, we have won just 27 PL games out of 93.

This season just 2 wins out of 17 PL games , with 11 defeats.
We have by far the worst home GD -16. Equal most homes goals conceded. Equal lowest home goals scored.

This season we have mustered just 1 goal against Everton, Forest and Bomo, who between them have let in 105 away goals this season

Forest and Everton have just 1 away win each all season, that equals our 2 home wins in 17 PL attempts at SMS. Wolves have won 2 away games, 1 of which was at SMS. Newcastle fans have seen as many wins at SMS in their 2 visits, as home fans have in 17 PL games.

It's a wonder anybody actually musters up any enthusiasm to go and watch them any more.

Phuck me .... I'm even more depressed now than I was before I looked into these stats.
I have never seen so much apathy on 10:54 - Apr 28 with 1399 viewssolent_toffee

Everton fans have, in the main, been great this season and last. Last night, the place was absolutely rocking up to the second goal when reality and deja vu kicked in. Before the game, the players were welcomed to the ground like conquering heroes and not the pathetic gutless shitbags that some of them are.
I have never seen so much apathy on 11:02 - Apr 28 with 1380 viewsSouthamptonfan

I have never seen so much apathy on 10:46 - Apr 28 by ericofarabia

We have by far the worst home GD -16. Equal most homes goals conceded. Equal lowest home goals scored.

This season we have mustered just 1 goal against Everton, Forest and Bomo, who between them have let in 105 away goals this season

Forest and Everton have just 1 away win each all season, that equals our 2 home wins in 17 PL attempts at SMS. Wolves have won 2 away games, 1 of which was at SMS. Newcastle fans have seen as many wins at SMS in their 2 visits, as home fans have in 17 PL games.

It's a wonder anybody actually musters up any enthusiasm to go and watch them any more.

Phuck me .... I'm even more depressed now than I was before I looked into these stats.

Well exactly. We have had the most terrible season, even worse than the year we went down. Defeat to Grimsby, defeat to nearly every one of the teams around us, defeat to 10 man Wolves - absolutely embarrassing. The fans know we arn't fighting. We know these players don't care and we are being taken for fools. Terrible unambitious, cheap managerial appointments, no communication from the owners. It's no surprise St Mary's is like a morgue.

And to top it off, the club's authorities have shut down noisy parts of the ground, they allow drums in for away fans but throw out home fans of they call the ref a sissy. You can't walk round the ground anymore, it's all closed off in the Northam car park, stupid surveys and so on.

The fans have had enough of being treated like sh!t. You can't blame them for being p!ssed off and then quiet in the ground. And yes, people need to realize the PL ticket prices, price out many loyal fans.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2023 11:05]

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

Login to get fewer ads

I have never seen so much apathy on 11:37 - Apr 28 with 1336 viewsMattFinish

I have never seen so much apathy on 08:51 - Apr 28 by A1079

I do agree Kingslandstand that this time there seems to be a cold acceptance of our fate and the fans seem numb to it all and there is as much lack of fight and passion in our fanbase as there is on the pitch. I feel a bit of a hypocrite criticising though as I am not sure I am much better. I go and watch and get angry and this morning I feel very angry with the players, the manager, the owners et al but I don't actually know what to do about it. We don't seem to get behind the team like we used to. Strachan and McMenemy used to say that Saints fans may seem quiet and that they have no passion but you have to give them something and then they react and stick behind the team. The trouble is, this season, unlike other relegation battles, the team (at home especially) have given so little - they seem like they don't care. The players may argue that they get little vocal support - it becomes a catch 22 - but at the end of the day the players are paid well to put in a shift and all too often they haven't and if they did and the fans saw they were at least trying then I think we would respond. What is it - is it 2 home wins in the league this season and only about 7 in the last 12 months? and we pay alot to go! The players earn alot to play - or not, as the case seems.

What does surprise me is how little, if any, grief we have given the owners vocally. Fans of other clubs would not have just accepted it without some form of protest or noise. Even the journalists seem to let them off lightly.

I don't know what the answer is at all. It all just seems a bl**dy mess from top to bottom and sideways but from a football fan of Southampton all my life it is both sad, frustrating and very annoying.

The trouble is I think the crowd were anaesthetised with the appointment of Jones and given a lethal injection with the appointment of Selles

These two appointments have completely ground down the supporters and the players alike

We don't even have the energy to chant "you don't know what you're doing" with every Selles team selection or substitution
I have never seen so much apathy on 11:58 - Apr 28 with 1288 viewskingslandstand1

I have never seen so much apathy on 10:54 - Apr 28 by solent_toffee

Everton fans have, in the main, been great this season and last. Last night, the place was absolutely rocking up to the second goal when reality and deja vu kicked in. Before the game, the players were welcomed to the ground like conquering heroes and not the pathetic gutless shitbags that some of them are.

So the support doesn't make a lot of difference then

At least we'll be able to go to one decent shiny new ground next season then
I have never seen so much apathy on 11:59 - Apr 28 with 1275 viewsfelly1

Thanks for this , you have summed it better than I could.
This comprehensively answers this question.. no need to look any further
I have never seen so much apathy on 12:15 - Apr 28 with 1241 viewskingslandstand1

Cheers mate! Now where is that noose or shall I wait til after the bank holiday

It's all a bit depressing really and a classic fall from grace for a club that just a few yeas ago was lauded for the way it was run and performances on the pitch and results we used to get, and a lot of neutral's 2nd team.

A bit like Brighton right now ................ oh well
I have never seen so much apathy on 12:30 - Apr 28 with 1225 viewsStRipper

The thing is, the fans did try to get behind the team, like at the Leicester game. they made the difference and got behind the team to deliver the win.
Sadly, the managers haven't given a toss what the fans want to see and have treated us with disdain, expecting us to get behind repeated failings and decisions, such as team selections, tactics and substitutions.
If Selles actually got his head our of his a*se, he'd have dropped the "picking players because they track back and work hard in training" ethos and he would have gone out to take matches to the opposition rather than live by a defend first mentality. We needed something to get behind.
Instead, Sellles has stuck to his process and data driven decisions that repeatedly fail and still expected us to get behind him. Probably encouraged by Ankersen. I mean, what clown would stick to the passing it out from the back at goal kicks approach when all it does is see us getting stuck in our own third and quickly end up back defending. Especially when you can hear from the crowd, game after game, how much they hate it.
I bet Selles was part of the reason that Ralph lost the will to live. Losing his choice of number 2 and having arrogant, vacuous Selles imposed on him must have been really depressing.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024