Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Old Swansea Night Clubs 07:13 - May 15 with 162534 viewsLord_Bony

Hey Anyone have any memories of the plethora of clubs on offer in the 70s80s90s? The good the bad and the ugly.

My personal fave was Barons...had some brilliant times there...REALLY miss that place

Here's some from about 20 years ago

http://www.moremusic.co.uk/swansea/swanclub.htm

[Post edited 15 May 2014 7:19]

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 09:48 - May 15 with 24776 viewspansypants

[Post edited 15 May 2014 9:50]

Poll: Sick of the media love in with Brazil?

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 09:49 - May 15 with 24775 viewspansypants

"Central Park" with its Decoda alcoholic soda water was like a calm before the storm.

Spielbergs "videos" were always worth watching in Quids Inn

Poll: Sick of the media love in with Brazil?

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 10:02 - May 15 with 24758 viewsBaker

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 09:42 - May 15 by pansypants

"Liberty's" was superb with its American style pool tables.
I'm pretty sure it became "Europa" after that.
You couldnt beat the old Quids Inn by the YMCA - the damage I did drinking "Blastaways" may explain why my liver is the size of a pumpkin!

"Escape" was also a cracking club.

Plus wasnt there a grotty club in the High Street circa 1998 above Park Lane Health Club?
[Post edited 15 May 2014 9:44]

Aye, me and a few mates used to go in there to wind up the moody Heavy Metal crew that used to frequent the place by trying to get off with their (stunning) Goth girlfriends.

Can't for the life of me remember what the place was called?

*googles*

May I say? what a smashing blouse you have on!

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 10:07 - May 15 with 24754 viewsBaker

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 09:44 - May 15 by Ceejay

Bonkers later became Quids Inn next to YMCA was a madness. Icon was a fave back in the days when Top Rank became Ritzy's.

It used to be Strikeout before that, but I was only young and my only memory of it was as a restaurant. Only reason I remember it was because you could have coke with an ice cream in. As a shy ten year-old this really blew my mind!

Did Strikeout used to be a club too?

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 10:14 - May 15 with 24748 viewsStarsky

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 07:34 - May 15 by swanny

The penthouse, the valbonne, barons, Dora's, the pier, the Langland bay, the surf house, the caswell bay and the west cross country club. Those are the old clubs I remember, oh and how could I forget, tiffany's.

I must have danced with you. I started my social life at those clubs circa 1976.
We probably had a babycham in the Tikki bar before going next door in the Valbonne.
[Post edited 15 May 2014 10:19]

It's just the internet, init.

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 10:25 - May 15 with 24736 viewsStarsky

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 07:50 - May 15 by Lord_Bony

Yeah always guaranteed a jump....lol

Great thread LB.
My watering holes in those days...
Prince of Wales (Wetherspoons) the carpet would stick to your feet. They made you drink out of plastic pint glasses!
The Park (HSBC) great pub
Buccaneer (near the quadrant)
My favourite... The Tikki bar. (downstairs from the Valbonne) That paper mache ceiling was amazing.
The best pub of all on a SUNDAY night was the Bay view on the seafront. That place was heaving.

It's just the internet, init.

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 10:41 - May 15 with 24719 viewsNogginthenog

I recollect a night down the Langland Bay when I won a bottle of Cinzano in a raffle and promptly drank the lot. Never been so ill in all my life. The things we do as youngsters eh.

I recall another night in the Valbonne when there was a Pernod promotion and to win you had to eat a whole raw onion. A great friend of mine now sadly passed, ate the onion in about 5 mins and won us free Pernod for the night, another one I can't forget!

As for pubs I had some great nights in the Buccaneer, the Park and one of my favs was the Student's Union Bar in Union St opposite the Halifax. The Trembling Knees were regulars there.

Swansea was great in those heady days.
Old Swansea Night Clubs on 10:43 - May 15 with 24713 viewsepaul

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 10:25 - May 15 by Starsky

Great thread LB.
Prince of Wales (Wetherspoons) the carpet would stick to your feet. They made you drink out of plastic pint glasses!
My favourite... The Tikki bar. (downstairs from the Valbonne) That paper mache ceiling was amazing.
The best pub of all on a SUNDAY night was the Bay view on the seafront. That place was heaving.

When we were 14 before swans games we'd go in the 4J's on Northampton lane and would get served, felt well cool drinking a pint at that age!

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Login to get fewer ads

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 10:55 - May 15 with 24704 viewsEdmundo

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 07:39 - May 15 by Sandfieldshellsangel

Oo Dora's Memories . Saturday night has never been the same,

Swansea City-Officially the best football team in Wales-FACT

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 11:18 - May 15 with 24678 viewsmawdlamjack

don't forget Nuts in the mumbles.
didn't frequent disco's much but was a regular for live bands at the Patti on a Friday and dirty dora's on a Sunday
i'm on the inside cover of the album featured in my avatar(Man-Xmas at the Patti) next to spiv at the mixing desk

on the northbank since 64 now languishing in the east stand

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 12:05 - May 15 with 24643 viewsGowerjack

The Coach House cellar bar for great bands ( The Squirts being my personal favourite)

Then....

Dirty Doras!

It's a little known fact that the bar scene in Star Wars was actually filmed at Dora's.

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 12:42 - May 15 with 24605 viewsgosfordjack

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 08:16 - May 15 by jaf69

holy crap here we go:d
doras of course, the rank, valabone/studio 25 (not 95 you pervs lol), marthas, cinders, neptunes, onedins, palace, cavalier, barons, where sincity is now (cant remember what it was called back in the 80/90's. there were a lot of decent pre club bars too but they've changed names so many times and most dont even exist anymore so I cant recall their names.
we really had a much better night scene back then then we do now, well done Swansea council lol!

Harpers
Old Swansea Night Clubs on 13:30 - May 15 with 24576 viewsswanny

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 09:40 - May 15 by perchrockjack

The Embassy.
The RANK

Tower Ballroom.

jeez

Was the Embassy where Barons was? Jimmy Wildes, anyone?

'Sorry, your password must contain a capital letter, two numbers, a symbol, an inspiring message, a spell, a gang sign, a hieroglyph and the blood of a virgin"

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 14:54 - May 15 with 24539 viewsSwanzay

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 10:07 - May 15 by Baker

It used to be Strikeout before that, but I was only young and my only memory of it was as a restaurant. Only reason I remember it was because you could have coke with an ice cream in. As a shy ten year-old this really blew my mind!

Did Strikeout used to be a club too?

Strikeout blast from the past, Joe Mangled nights in Marthas and Speilberg in quids in. I haven't seen Speilberg in years, is he still around? Always used to be wondering round with his video camera.
Old Swansea Night Clubs on 15:13 - May 15 with 24530 viewsBaker

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 14:54 - May 15 by Swanzay

Strikeout blast from the past, Joe Mangled nights in Marthas and Speilberg in quids in. I haven't seen Speilberg in years, is he still around? Always used to be wondering round with his video camera.

Spotted him a couple of times out in Valencia

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 18:14 - May 15 with 23821 viewsoldcob

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 13:30 - May 15 by swanny

Was the Embassy where Barons was? Jimmy Wildes, anyone?

I remember Jimmy Wildes, in Alexander St. Full of tattoos cauliflower ears broken noses. And that was only the girls.
Old Swansea Night Clubs on 18:19 - May 15 with 23816 viewsJackfath

Remember the pony tailed bouncer in Doras?

Mental rock hard bloke.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 18:55 - May 15 with 23792 viewsLord_Bony

I think Dora's went on to become The Marina night Spot? Circles or something some good bands..

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 19:36 - May 15 with 23763 viewsjacksinceever

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 07:55 - May 15 by Edmundo

Any one remember the club at the bottom of Gorseinon, it turned into a snooker/pool venue, is now closed.
Used to be a tad rough on the weekends!
[Post edited 15 May 2014 8:23]

Abba's ?
Old Swansea Night Clubs on 19:38 - May 15 with 23763 viewsjacksinceever

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 08:16 - May 15 by jaf69

holy crap here we go:d
doras of course, the rank, valabone/studio 25 (not 95 you pervs lol), marthas, cinders, neptunes, onedins, palace, cavalier, barons, where sincity is now (cant remember what it was called back in the 80/90's. there were a lot of decent pre club bars too but they've changed names so many times and most dont even exist anymore so I cant recall their names.
we really had a much better night scene back then then we do now, well done Swansea council lol!

The Townsman as was (then Barons). Met a singer on hols who told me he'd sung there. How old must he be?
Old Swansea Night Clubs on 19:40 - May 15 with 23762 viewsjacksinceever

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 09:02 - May 15 by Lohengrin

Harpers.

I remember that opening and Oliver Tobias (a TV star of the time and a ladies heartthrob) cutting the ribbon
Old Swansea Night Clubs on 19:45 - May 15 with 23760 viewsjacksinceever

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 10:25 - May 15 by Starsky

Great thread LB.

Prince of Wales was facing the Kingsway straight on. The Weatherspoons pub was a car dealer (Oscar Chess I think) back in the day
Old Swansea Night Clubs on 20:08 - May 15 with 23738 viewsjacksinceever

It mentioned H2O. Is that the nightclub in the Marina that was on the top floor above a lovely little restaurant which used to serve onion loaf?
Old Swansea Night Clubs on 20:11 - May 15 with 23736 viewsNogginthenog

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 19:45 - May 15 by jacksinceever

Prince of Wales was facing the Kingsway straight on. The Weatherspoons pub was a car dealer (Oscar Chess I think) back in the day

I know that it was Fletchers at one time, may have been Oscar Chess prior to that.
Old Swansea Night Clubs on 20:16 - May 15 with 23730 viewsmax936

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 07:50 - May 15 by Lord_Bony

Yeah always guaranteed a jump....lol

Grannies night on a Thursday night at the Top Rank awesome Sssssssssh now.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024