Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 13:40 - Dec 9 with 20506 viewsLohengrin

1955:
"The lasting bequest we give to our children is roots."
Goethe

2015:
"The Turcoman hath left his herd."
Lord Byron

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 19:56 - Dec 9 with 1764 viewsLohengrin

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 19:48 - Dec 9 by exiledclaseboy

I disagree. Faith based schools aren't education, it's indoctrination. If someone wants to follow a faith they should be able to choose freely to do it, not have it forced upon them from the moment they start nursery. Parents can choose to bring their kids up in that way if they want, it's their right as parents. The state should have no part in it. And most of the UK is "Christian" in the same way that I am. i.e. Not at all.

European laws, school curricula indeed our modes of behaviour, our standard parameters of decency have all been founded upon Biblical injunction. If you don't yourself believe in The book you've still been moulded in your formative years by its teachings.

It has served us well. You don't get that from Marx.

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 19:56 - Dec 9 with 1762 viewsdailew

And how many call themselves christian simply because that was all they were taught at school.

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 20:00 - Dec 9 with 1756 viewsCountyJim

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 19:48 - Dec 9 by exiledclaseboy

I disagree. Faith based schools aren't education, it's indoctrination. If someone wants to follow a faith they should be able to choose freely to do it, not have it forced upon them from the moment they start nursery. Parents can choose to bring their kids up in that way if they want, it's their right as parents. The state should have no part in it. And most of the UK is "Christian" in the same way that I am. i.e. Not at all.

No one forces you to send your kids to a faith school in fact there are people of no faith wanting their children to go to these schools and some are taken in my daughter went to a Catholic school her class had Hindu Muslim Protestant and children whos family had no faith just wanted the children to have a good education and learn right from wrong that's their words not mine
A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 20:10 - Dec 9 with 1749 viewsCountyJim

Oh and when I was in that school we had a Jahovah witness lad who never went to assembly! Always felt sorry for him he never seemed to have any fun you know celebrating Christmas birthdays etc
[Post edited 9 Dec 2015 20:11]
A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 20:13 - Dec 9 with 1739 viewsexiledclaseboy

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 20:00 - Dec 9 by CountyJim

No one forces you to send your kids to a faith school in fact there are people of no faith wanting their children to go to these schools and some are taken in my daughter went to a Catholic school her class had Hindu Muslim Protestant and children whos family had no faith just wanted the children to have a good education and learn right from wrong that's their words not mine

Even non-faith schools are legally obliged to have Christian worship every day. That's not right.

Poll: Tory leader

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 20:22 - Dec 9 with 1734 viewsCountyJim

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 20:13 - Dec 9 by exiledclaseboy

Even non-faith schools are legally obliged to have Christian worship every day. That's not right.

Yes but as I said in my other post you can skip assembly
A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 20:31 - Dec 9 with 1723 viewsmrrockin

Whatever way you spin it, that is an indictment.

Islam is a very organised strong religion, this will be become the norm in 20/30 years. Birth rate has shot up over the decade and you don't need to be a rocket scientist to understand why.

Only the other day there was a report saying we should remove Christianity from being an entrenched part of our culture. Many of you will no doubt be happy but that's a slippery slope.

Happy Hols everyone
A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 21:16 - Dec 9 with 1685 viewsLohengrin

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 20:31 - Dec 9 by mrrockin

Islam is a very organised strong religion, this will be become the norm in 20/30 years. Birth rate has shot up over the decade and you don't need to be a rocket scientist to understand why.

Only the other day there was a report saying we should remove Christianity from being an entrenched part of our culture. Many of you will no doubt be happy but that's a slippery slope.

Happy Hols everyone

Is that a reference to Judge Butler-Sloss?

Login to get fewer ads

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 21:50 - Dec 9 with 1652 viewsLord_Bony

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 20:31 - Dec 9 by mrrockin

Happy Hols everyone

Its true I m afraid...once we start watering down the Christian principles this country was built upon we create a void...other more aggressive religions will be only too happy to step in and fill that vacuum.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 22:13 - Dec 9 with 1642 viewsLohengrin

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 21:50 - Dec 9 by Lord_Bony

Its true I m afraid...once we start watering down the Christian principles this country was built upon we create a void...other more aggressive religions will be only too happy to step in and fill that vacuum.

Yet you decry that very point when it is raised?

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 22:56 - Dec 9 with 1621 viewsLord_Bony

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 22:13 - Dec 9 by Lohengrin

Yet you decry that very point when it is raised?

No sir I am not...what I am saying is as you rightly pointed out ..our very foundations and laws are based on Christianity not any other religion....thats a fact thats why we celebrate Christmas after all...

Your original post was an exaggerated view of the take over of Islam..

Its to do with balance and tolerance I believe but none the less,if we turn our back on our Christian roots it will not bode well for British culture in the future.

Secularism is all well and good but we should be careful....

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 23:55 - Dec 9 with 1591 viewsperchrockjack

All schools had Christian assemblies which excluded Jewish and catholic kids.

Wasn't too much strife around and nobody died, certainly of self righteous indignation

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 00:09 - Dec 10 with 1583 viewsLord_Bony

Poor Catholics...even the Christians don t like em

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 00:21 - Dec 10 with 1575 viewsperchrockjack

I had one who finished my homework when we were singing hymns ... Just like Etonian boys do.

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 00:21 - Dec 10 with 1574 viewsNookiejack

A thought that goes through my head when reading the nationalist argument in these threads and how we have have lost our identity/losing our identity etc. is that concept of modern nations has only been around a few hundreds of years since the Peace of Westphalia - which some scholars of international relations credit the treaties with providing the foundation of the modern state system and articulating the concept of territorial sovereignty.

http://www.britannica.com/event/Peace-of-Westphalia
A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 00:44 - Dec 10 with 1564 viewsNookiejack

Here's a better article on the Peace of Westphalia and State Sovereignty

http://internationalrelations.org/peace-of-westphaliatreaty-of-westphalia/

'The reason that the Peace of Westphalia/Treaty of Westphalia is discussed so frequently in the studies of international relations has to do with the implications of the Treaty of Westphalia on the international system, namely with regards to the notion of state sovereignty. The reason that there is so much attention to the Peace of Westphalia was because it altered that way that political power structures existed. For example, before the Treaty of Westphalia in 1648, there was a feudal system in existence throughout much of Europe (Hassan, 2006). And while sovereignty did exist, it was not universally respected across all states the same way. For example, while there were some cases of complete sovereign states, there also existed some entities that were not fully sovereign (Hassan, 2006). However, the Peace of Westphalia/Treaty of Westphalia changed all that, as “t emphased the separation of States. Therefore Christendom was divided into sovereign secular States with a thick line between them and the government were the absolute authority inside that line. This change brought a new image in every sovereign territorial limit, that is, all Governments are the exclusive authority and their decisions and arguments are exclusively carried out within their territorial limit, as the concept of Westphalian sovereignty is tied to State territory. According to territorial sovereignty, within a territory there is only one absolute temporal power, the Government of that territorial State” (Hassan, 2006).'
A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 07:13 - Dec 10 with 1520 viewsdailew

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 20:00 - Dec 9 by CountyJim

So you can only know right from wrong if you attend a faith school?

Those largely secular Scandinavian countries must be hell-holes. Poor with high crime rates as people go around murdering and robbing each other. If only they had religion to give them morals.

Highly religious countries like Pakistan and Bangladesh must be heaven on earth.

Similarly in the US the bible belt must be paradise with a low crime rate compared with the less religious New England.

Hang on, the murder rate in the most religious state, Mississippi, is more than 5 times higher than in the least religious, Vermont. That can't be right.

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 09:19 - Dec 10 with 1498 viewsWxmJax

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 17:00 - Dec 9 by dailew

A school full of indigenous kids. How awful Can't have that. At least it won't be like that for long.

Waving flags given to you for a photo opportunity with one of the most famous women in the world does not make them integrated.

As the current rate London will be majority Muslim sometime in the 2040s.

And at the current rate, everyone in the world will be an Elvis impersonator by 2043

http://www.murderousmaths.co.uk/elvis.htm

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 09:29 - Dec 10 with 1495 viewsYr_Arglwydd_Rhys

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 15:46 - Dec 9 by Lohengrin

It represents population displacement, Lisa. As such it is perfectly accurate. Now you are perfectly free to think that's fine, there are others who would lament the passing of a nation.

The irony of someone writing about population displacement in English on the forum of a Welsh football club full of international players is clearly lost on you.
A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 09:51 - Dec 10 with 1484 viewstrampie

Happy Hols everyone

England has a state religion, their state and church are intertwined if it was removed from their culture then the vacuum would be replaced with something else.

If think the celts should revisit their pagan roots and put druids back on their pedestal.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 09:56 - Dec 10 with 1486 viewsperchrockjack

Yet more personal attacks on a poster with strong views, which are held my millions outside the social multi cultural paradise that is --SWANSEA FFS

Hypocrisy reins on here ,no question

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 10:16 - Dec 10 with 1476 viewsLohengrin

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 09:29 - Dec 10 by Yr_Arglwydd_Rhys

The irony of someone writing about population displacement in English on the forum of a Welsh football club full of international players is clearly lost on you.

Having an aristocratic username alongside an avatar of Camus would, I suppose, make you something of an authority on irony. Absurdism, indeed.

Well done.

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 10:23 - Dec 10 with 1469 viewsperchrockjack

Our kids went to Grammar Schools where I cannot remember any black kids . Few Asians from professional families and some Chinese.

HAVE THEY MISSED OUT ON THIS MULTI CULTURALISM.

No, looking at them now. They re great people and well balanced ,hard working.

Some massive hypocrisy again.

NIMBY

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 10:32 - Dec 10 with 1460 viewsLohengrin

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 09:51 - Dec 10 by trampie

England has a state religion, their state and church are intertwined if it was removed from their culture then the vacuum would be replaced with something else.

If think the celts should revisit their pagan roots and put druids back on their pedestal.

I don't think human sacrifice in holly groves would prove all that popular in 2015, Tramp.

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 10:55 - Dec 10 with 1453 viewsBloodyhills

A tale of two Manchester school photos: 1955 - 2015 on 09:29 - Dec 10 by Yr_Arglwydd_Rhys

The history of the human race is one of migration, of ebb and flow. Go back far enough and we are all from the same place, Africa.

A lot of the problems in the world are caused by seeing other humans as very different from ourselves. If we see them as other it's easier to hate them bomb them etc.

Ultimately people want the same sort of things out of life, love, family security for them, a decent role in society and of course a great football club they can support! :)

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024