Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tata 15:48 - Jan 17 with 34887 viewsraynor94

Looks like up to 800 job losses to be announced, 600 at Port Talbot, a devastating blow for the area, let's just hope Tata keep the faith and see these rough times through

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Tata on 17:42 - Jan 17 with 2376 viewsDarran

Tata on 17:41 - Jan 17 by Wingstandwood

Its truly shocking the decline!.............Add to that Velindre, Duport Steel, the numerous pits and other large scale employers e.g. Walkers/Smiths etc (endless list!) that have either closed or working on a fraction of original workforce.

My old man worked in Duport in the Ferry.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Tata on 17:43 - Jan 17 with 2377 viewsperchrockjack

Might be different if Hertfordshire had steelworks.

Same with floods.

It happens up north but so folkn what

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Tata on 18:48 - Jan 17 with 2304 viewsjohnlangy

Tata on 16:22 - Jan 17 by perchrockjack

I d like jobs to be transferred from more affluent areas when industrial towns are hammered.

No way would mass job losses be tolerated down south.

If it happens in Wales, it clearly don't matter

Well, there are 350 HMRC jobs bring transferred from Swansea, another 350 from Wrexham, a number from Caernarfon and more being created to make the total up to 2000 I believe. And where are they going ? To the very place that doesn't need them. Cardiff is already an extremely affluent place which doesn't need those jobs. Just imagine the tremendous boost that number of jobs would give Port Talbot.

You just couldn't make it up.
Tata on 19:10 - Jan 17 with 2277 viewsmax936

They're not giving any orders out to us, so there's no work for me in there at the moment, so I've got to go and work off site, luckily there is work outside for me, all be it down at Cross Hands.

Any vacancies for Plumbers anywhere, anybody know? time to look elsewhere I think
[Post edited 17 Jan 2016 19:12]

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Tata on 19:19 - Jan 17 with 2263 viewsperchrockjack

Johnlangy.
Indeed.

The very opposite of what should happen

This is where thatcher got it so wrong.

I never wanted any men to crawl in filth in a pit to eke out a living but regeneration of industrial Areas should have been a priority.

It's led to bitterness being passed down. Understandable really.

Problem is industrial areas were and are labour.

Tata on 19:43 - Jan 17 with 2232 viewsSwanzay

Tata on 19:19 - Jan 17 by perchrockjack

Johnlangy.
Indeed.

The very opposite of what should happen

This is where thatcher got it so wrong.

I never wanted any men to crawl in filth in a pit to eke out a living but regeneration of industrial Areas should have been a priority.

It's led to bitterness being passed down. Understandable really.

Problem is industrial areas were and are labour.

People had jobs though, a crazy idea!
Tata on 20:22 - Jan 17 with 2188 viewsGh0st

Tata on 16:26 - Jan 17 by Darran

Great post but I can't see what the government can do when steel is so much cheaper in other countries.
Sad but true.

Agreed, they can't keep subsidizing forever!
Tata on 20:27 - Jan 17 with 2182 viewsGh0st

I might be being thick here but if its losing a £1m a day the government cant just keep it open?

If its cheaper in China thats were people are going to go. Its a business.
Login to get fewer ads

Tata on 20:28 - Jan 17 with 2178 viewsGowerjack

Tata on 17:28 - Jan 17 by Darran

F*ck off you're not funny.

Yes he is.

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Tata on 20:39 - Jan 17 with 2157 viewsGh0st

Tata on 17:23 - Jan 17 by exiledclaseboy

You said people have seen the ghost of a monk. Wooooooooooo

Tata on 20:41 - Jan 17 with 2153 viewsFerryjack

Darren, I can remember your old man working in the hot mill roll shop repairing chocks for me in port talbot, he was contracting at that time.
Tata on 05:30 - Jan 18 with 2013 viewsLord_Bony

Tata will announce today over a thousand steelworkers jobs to be axed in the UK.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Tata on 06:59 - Jan 18 with 1983 viewsDaggyjack

Tata on 20:27 - Jan 17 by Gh0st

I might be being thick here but if its losing a £1m a day the government cant just keep it open?

If its cheaper in China thats were people are going to go. Its a business.

You are correct, they (Tata) can't run a business on those figures...i think the issue is that this announcement and redundancies were known to be coming for a long time, yet the government has done nothing about it.
I'd imagine if the redundancies were in an area when they had a chance to win seats, more might be done...as it is Wales, with little chance of breaking the Labour stronghold, I'd suggest that less is likely to be done.
The impact on a town that relies on the steelworks for economy of losing 20% of the workforce will be devastating though.
Tata on 11:22 - Jan 18 with 1901 viewsDarran

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Tata-Steel-confirm-jobs-losses-Port-Talb

Tata on 11:40 - Jan 18 with 1887 viewsLohengrin

Ask yourselves what's really happening? We have seen it time and again this last few decades as foreign interests acquire British and European manufacturing firms. Do they want to develop them or are they in the business of suppressing a rival?

They arrive in a whirlwind of publicity, cast in the role of saviour by central government but for those who work in industry it doesn't take long before the truth begins to sink in. Bonus payments gone, shift and holiday allowances likewise then the pension schemes are assailed. Finally, invariably, amidst expressions of faux regret closures follow. Meanwhile technology which has taken generations to develop is suddenly accrued by alien interests; aliens who could never have made these strides themselves in a century!

I've said this time and again and I'll keep on saying that the so-called Global Economy will bring ruination to Europe. The notion that we can compete in such a lop-sided system is pure fantasy. It is time to begin the process of disengagement and for European manufacturing to service the European home market.

For the steel industry the clarion call HAS to be EUROPE FIRST! To be sold in Europe it has to rolled in Europe. For policy makers to think otherwise is to betray their own grandchildren.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Tata on 11:53 - Jan 18 with 1865 viewsLord_Bony

Tata on 11:40 - Jan 18 by Lohengrin

Ask yourselves what's really happening? We have seen it time and again this last few decades as foreign interests acquire British and European manufacturing firms. Do they want to develop them or are they in the business of suppressing a rival?

They arrive in a whirlwind of publicity, cast in the role of saviour by central government but for those who work in industry it doesn't take long before the truth begins to sink in. Bonus payments gone, shift and holiday allowances likewise then the pension schemes are assailed. Finally, invariably, amidst expressions of faux regret closures follow. Meanwhile technology which has taken generations to develop is suddenly accrued by alien interests; aliens who could never have made these strides themselves in a century!

I've said this time and again and I'll keep on saying that the so-called Global Economy will bring ruination to Europe. The notion that we can compete in such a lop-sided system is pure fantasy. It is time to begin the process of disengagement and for European manufacturing to service the European home market.

For the steel industry the clarion call HAS to be EUROPE FIRST! To be sold in Europe it has to rolled in Europe. For policy makers to think otherwise is to betray their own grandchildren.

d be good if Europe kept out cheap selected imports such as steel and used its own..Tarriffs could be imposed on steel coming in like the Americans do to protect domestic jobs.

The problem is the EU has many trade agreements with CHina and India which would cause huge problems were they to implement such measures.

the Eu now exempts services and many goods from duties anyway. In 2009 UK charged customs duty of just 1.76% on non-EU imports. This is so low that the EU Common Market is basically redundant as a customs union with tariff walls. This means most of the goods we import are hardly taxed at all making them competitive with our own and that includes steel.

The biggest problem is we are coupled to global trading....whoever offers the cheapest product or service tends to get the business these days,we all want a bargain.

British steel finds it hard to compete in the market and the strong sterling makes our prices even more expensive to export.

Will be difficult to replace those jobs......

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"

Tata on 12:43 - Jan 18 with 1825 viewsWingstandwood

Tata on 11:40 - Jan 18 by Lohengrin

Nice post! This country has been sold down the river for a quick and easy buck for far too long in the most despicable everything must go sale. There is little or no family silver left it's all been sold at a vastly undervalued rate to the vultures, get rich quick spivs and as you said alien interests.............. Even the Severn Bridge is 50% owned by foreign interests. The way things are going everything and everyone in this country will be in the pockets of and at the beck and call of individuals whom couldn't give a damn either about the U.K or its population............ A disgrace!

I

Argus!

Tata on 12:50 - Jan 18 with 1808 viewsperchrockjack

The freedom from Socialsim China and Russia have been given has led to all this .

Hitherto, we in the west held the roost and supplied most of the world s steel and many other products.

Now ,it can made far cheaper in third world countries and its that simple.

Removing the eastern bloc was good for freedom but disastrous for the previous "west".

Its karma , in a way, in so far as previous colonial or emasculated countries are now free to trade and to get our of their own country, whereas previously, we had the industrial might..

Im not sure younger people know what it was like in countries like East Germany or China where freedom of movement was non existent.

Tata on 14:13 - Jan 18 with 1741 viewscontroversial_jack

Tata on 12:43 - Jan 18 by Wingstandwood

Nice post! This country has been sold down the river for a quick and easy buck for far too long in the most despicable everything must go sale. There is little or no family silver left it's all been sold at a vastly undervalued rate to the vultures, get rich quick spivs and as you said alien interests.............. Even the Severn Bridge is 50% owned by foreign interests. The way things are going everything and everyone in this country will be in the pockets of and at the beck and call of individuals whom couldn't give a damn either about the U.K or its population............ A disgrace!

I

Good post! Some ppl think Corbin is a traitor, what successive Conservatives have done, goes far beyond that
Tata on 14:29 - Jan 18 with 1720 viewsDarran

A fella just said to me that the government should stop British companies from importing steel from China because that's what the German government have done in Germany?

Is that true?

Tata on 15:23 - Jan 18 with 1670 viewsoldcob

The steel industry has always been peaks and troughs regarding the order book. You can supply the world with steel so that no-one needs it anymore, but the nature of steel is that it rusts and has to be renewed. The sh1t they turn out in Asia is of a poor quality so it will rust quicker, and it won't take long for the world to discover this. Hopefully the customer will then return to steel made in UK. Port Talbot has the best quality of steel in the world along with a Japanese firm who are on a par. I believe TATA believe this too and maybe thats the reason they have still been making investment in Port Talbot, and are waiting for the next peak.
Tata on 17:43 - Jan 18 with 1600 viewscontroversial_jack

Tata on 17:36 - Jan 17 by Darran

Phew BP brings back memories I heard that explode a few times living in Baglan.

I doubt it exploded
Tata on 17:45 - Jan 18 with 1592 viewsDarran

Tata on 17:43 - Jan 18 by controversial_jack

I doubt it exploded

F*ck off.

Tata on 17:45 - Jan 18 with 1593 viewsLord_Bony

Tata on 15:23 - Jan 18 by oldcob

The steel industry has always been peaks and troughs regarding the order book. You can supply the world with steel so that no-one needs it anymore, but the nature of steel is that it rusts and has to be renewed. The sh1t they turn out in Asia is of a poor quality so it will rust quicker, and it won't take long for the world to discover this. Hopefully the customer will then return to steel made in UK. Port Talbot has the best quality of steel in the world along with a Japanese firm who are on a par. I believe TATA believe this too and maybe thats the reason they have still been making investment in Port Talbot, and are waiting for the next peak.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8

Tata on 17:51 - Jan 18 with 1583 viewsDarran

There's the most handsome young man in one of these photos.

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/pictures/8203-Tata-Steel-job-losses-Deca

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024