Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Italian Garry Monk? 17:08 - Feb 28 with 9265 viewsVetchitBack

Negative. Seemingly purposely giving away possession. Not closing down. No pressure on the ball. Allowing Spurs to attack and for the inevitable to happen. The erosion of our principles/not playing the "Swansea Way" - wasn't this what Garry was sacked for?

The orthodox are always orthodox, regardless of the orthodoxy.

The Italian Garry Monk? on 17:09 - Feb 28 with 6824 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Only after we had scored.
The Italian Garry Monk? on 17:13 - Feb 28 with 6808 viewsjack247

I think (hope) this is just a means to an end rather than a long term way of playing.

Garry had his way of playing and brought in players to do it. Guidollin wasn't heavily backed in the transfer window, in fairness he wasn't here for some of it. He just has to make the best of it until the summer with a squad of players suited to playing Monkball.
The Italian Garry Monk? on 17:22 - Feb 28 with 6765 viewstomdickharry

Thought that was Laudrup, am at a loss to know why Monk was sacked as today was just as bad if not worse than some of the performances under him.All the talk before the game was that the players had put in extra training ready to die for the cause,if we had gone down fighting fair enough,but on what I saw on a good stream if Spurs had taken a small percentage of their chances then it could have been a 5-1 drubbing and that's without the great performance from Fabianski.Defensive football is at times an excellent tactic if you have the players to employ it,we haven't.
The Italian Garry Monk? on 17:22 - Feb 28 with 6763 viewsNogginthenog

I haven't seen any of the game but judging by all the threads we are incapable of retaining the ball. We still have the same players that could do it so why cant we do it now?
[Post edited 28 Feb 2016 17:54]
The Italian Garry Monk? on 17:23 - Feb 28 with 6747 viewsA_Fans_Dad

The Italian Garry Monk? on 17:22 - Feb 28 by tomdickharry

Thought that was Laudrup, am at a loss to know why Monk was sacked as today was just as bad if not worse than some of the performances under him.All the talk before the game was that the players had put in extra training ready to die for the cause,if we had gone down fighting fair enough,but on what I saw on a good stream if Spurs had taken a small percentage of their chances then it could have been a 5-1 drubbing and that's without the great performance from Fabianski.Defensive football is at times an excellent tactic if you have the players to employ it,we haven't.

This.
The Italian Garry Monk? on 17:25 - Feb 28 with 6729 viewsDr_Winston

The Italian Garry Monk? on 17:22 - Feb 28 by Nogginthenog

I haven't seen any of the game but judging by all the threads we are incapable of retaining the ball. We still have the same players that could do it so why cant we do it now?
[Post edited 28 Feb 2016 17:54]

Because they've spent most of the last two years worrying more about shape than possession. Guidolin isn't going to be able to put that right overnight.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The Italian Garry Monk? on 17:28 - Feb 28 with 6700 viewsexiledclaseboy

We've got more defensive and negative since Guidolin took over. And on top of that, we've also got worse at defending. We do not appear to have upgraded at this point.

Poll: Tory leader

The Italian Garry Monk? on 17:30 - Feb 28 with 6669 viewsperchrockjack

I don't settle for defending if we're good at it.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Login to get fewer ads

The Italian Garry Monk? on 17:34 - Feb 28 with 6647 viewsVetchitBack

The Italian Garry Monk? on 17:22 - Feb 28 by tomdickharry

Yes Laudrup did it too.

My overall point is we replaced him (eventually) with someone who could harshly be described as a poor man's Garry Monk currently. Or that's how it felt today and maybe not just today if i'm honest.

The Italian Garry Monk? on 17:41 - Feb 28 with 6615 viewsVetchitBack

Is it fair comparing how we played under Curtis at Citeh to today?

But also citing Everton as a massive plus for Gudolin. Particularly if you didn't watch it.

If we stay up job done obviously.

The Italian Garry Monk? on 17:54 - Feb 28 with 6547 viewsA_Fans_Dad

When Guidolin came here was he told "look Curt has got the guys playing really well together, for God's sake don't change anything"?
The Italian Garry Monk? on 17:55 - Feb 28 with 6540 viewsSmellyplumz

The Italian Garry Monk? on 17:54 - Feb 28 by A_Fans_Dad

When Guidolin came here was he told "look Curt has got the guys playing really well together, for God's sake don't change anything"?

He would of been told keep us up at all costs, that's it.

""Although I cannot promise or predict the future, I can guarantee one thing - the current board of directors will always fight, as we have done over the last 12 years, to work together as one with the Supporters Trust to make 100% sure that Swansea City football club remains the number one priority in all our thoughts and in every decision we make."
Poll: Huw Jenkins

The Italian Garry Monk? on 17:57 - Feb 28 with 6525 viewsjack247

The Italian Garry Monk? on 17:41 - Feb 28 by VetchitBack

Is it fair comparing how we played under Curtis at Citeh to today?

But also citing Everton as a massive plus for Gudolin. Particularly if you didn't watch it.

If we stay up job done obviously.

It's the Brian Flynn conundrum. It will probably go down to the last few games, keep us up and he is a legend, take us down and he is a pariah.

Nobody will care how he keeps us up, as long as he does.
The Italian Garry Monk? on 17:58 - Feb 28 with 6524 viewsLandore_Jack

Negative tactics are costing us dear. Our defence is weak and the last thing we should be doing is surrendering our attacking play after we take the lead. Did Huw appoint the right manager?

#backtojack

The Italian Garry Monk? on 17:59 - Feb 28 with 6498 viewsA_Fans_Dad

The Italian Garry Monk? on 17:58 - Feb 28 by Landore_Jack

Negative tactics are costing us dear. Our defence is weak and the last thing we should be doing is surrendering our attacking play after we take the lead. Did Huw appoint the right manager?

It is not just "our attacking play" that we are surrendering, it is the whole of the mid field, inviting them on while we backpedal as fast as possible.
The Italian Garry Monk? on 19:42 - Feb 28 with 6290 viewscontroversial_jack

Cork was the only midfielder who put himself about today, Ki was dire, and Siggy has been poor for a while. there I've said it now
The Italian Garry Monk? on 19:44 - Feb 28 with 6282 viewslondonlisa2001

The Italian Garry Monk? on 19:42 - Feb 28 by controversial_jack

Cork was the only midfielder who put himself about today, Ki was dire, and Siggy has been poor for a while. there I've said it now

I'm glad you did - you are completely correct.

Played with ten today - Siggy may as well have not bothered.
The Italian Garry Monk? on 21:29 - Feb 28 with 6119 viewsLandore_Jack

The Italian Garry Monk? on 19:44 - Feb 28 by londonlisa2001

If we changed tactics maybe he would have played better. The management team must share the blame. That includes Curt. Ffs most of our players are under performing. Wtf is going on?

#backtojack

The Italian Garry Monk? on 23:32 - Feb 28 with 5976 viewsMolliemick

The Italian Garry Monk? on 21:29 - Feb 28 by Landore_Jack

If we changed tactics maybe he would have played better. The management team must share the blame. That includes Curt. Ffs most of our players are under performing. Wtf is going on?

FG? No FG
Says it all!
The Italian Garry Monk? on 01:44 - Feb 29 with 5880 viewssully49

There wasn't anyone today that put themselves about and looked or fought as a team in the relegation mix. When they went forward today they it with speed and numbers and without Fabianski today we could have lost by a much bigger margin, that said he cost us the first goal, why didn't he catch that ball and opt to punch is beyond me.
We need to change the way we play, for me I would play Montero, Barrow and Routledge from the start thus injecting speed which was evidently and woefully missing today, and let our defenders defend.
AW, Ki, NT, and open for debate LB and JC they all looked tired today, especially when trying, and I mean trying, to get back.
Things are going to be a lot worse before it gets better. My only concern is that time is against us.
[Post edited 29 Feb 2016 16:19]

Poll: Is there any way for Lee Trundle to play in this squad?

The Italian Garry Monk? on 01:50 - Feb 29 with 5877 viewsHugeEnkins

Surely not?

The Italian Garry Monk? on 08:30 - Feb 29 with 5761 viewsmidswan

Thats the crux of the problem right there, for a long while now we have consistently played the 'big' name players, almost to the point of being undroppable it would appear. Siggy,Ayew most notably,even shoehorning them in various positions seemingly at the expense of everything else. Ayew ? as most would agree an enigma,certainly in our team anyway,obviously has scored a few (and thank God for that )yet as per Gomis most were a good while back now. Its frequently mentioned how hard they work for the team,well, fair do's, yet a load on here will chastise someone like Routs as
"all he does is run around and work " . Quite simply play the players who are performing not the same old routine 'hoping' for a result for therein lies big problems. Barrow deserves more game time as an obvious point,for me in place of Ayew (certainly if Ayew is supposed to be on the right..)
The Italian Garry Monk? on 08:49 - Feb 29 with 5732 viewsPegojack

Yesterday was an embarrassment. We looked like a League Two team who were playing away at a Premiership club in the FA Cup and who had fluked a goal early on, then decided to hang on and defend like grim death.
From the time we scored until Spurs equalized, I never once thought "we are going to fluke a win here", it was just a matter of time. Our passing game just evaporated and it became a training exercise for Spurs, attack against defence.
What worries me is that if we get the players into this mentality, it will carry through to the 'must win' games coming up soon - Norwich, Villa, etc.
Guidolin needs to start playing a formation that has an even chance of scoring goals and winning games through attacking football. Stop surrendering the initiative. No more fear, go out and believe in ourselves.
The Italian Garry Monk? on 09:18 - Feb 29 with 5674 viewsjacabertawe

Oh dear, that negative feeling is overwhelming me this morning. I am now at the point where, when we scored against Spurs last night, I didn't really jump up and down with joy because I knew that we would be blitzed as the game went on and concede goals. Which, bearing in mind the quality of Spurs, we did of course.

Britishness...is a political synonym for Englishness which extends English culture over the Scots, the Welsh, and the Irish. - Gwynfor Evans

The Italian Garry Monk? on 09:21 - Feb 29 with 5669 viewsblaine_scfc

The Italian Garry Monk? on 08:49 - Feb 29 by Pegojack

Yesterday was an embarrassment. We looked like a League Two team who were playing away at a Premiership club in the FA Cup and who had fluked a goal early on, then decided to hang on and defend like grim death.
From the time we scored until Spurs equalized, I never once thought "we are going to fluke a win here", it was just a matter of time. Our passing game just evaporated and it became a training exercise for Spurs, attack against defence.
What worries me is that if we get the players into this mentality, it will carry through to the 'must win' games coming up soon - Norwich, Villa, etc.
Guidolin needs to start playing a formation that has an even chance of scoring goals and winning games through attacking football. Stop surrendering the initiative. No more fear, go out and believe in ourselves.

Exactly how I saw it.

Hoofing it out of defence to no one after half hour, there was not a chance we were holding onto to a clean sheet. As you said, lower league side playing against a premier league team.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024