Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is Cardiff a good capital city for Wales? 17:08 - Nov 12 with 5226 viewsjohnlangy

While checking out the walesonline link in the 'Welsh Language' thread I noticed another article titled 'Is Cardiff a good capital city for Wales?

I've commented, not favourably as you'd expect. Perhaps a few of you would also like to contribute.
Is Cardiff a good capital city for Wales? on 17:26 - Nov 12 with 2566 viewsWhiterockin

If Swansea had all the money pumped in that Cardiff has, it would be a far better city. Still not the capitol but a far better city.
Is Cardiff a good capital city for Wales? on 17:34 - Nov 12 with 2559 viewslifelong

Doesn't bother me that Cardiff is the Capital, would have preferred it if St David's had been given it though.
Is Cardiff a good capital city for Wales? on 17:58 - Nov 12 with 2538 viewsPrivate_Partz

Anyone got a link to this? I will contribute. ;-)

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Is Cardiff a good capital city for Wales? on 17:58 - Nov 12 with 2536 viewsdickythorpe

Is Cardiff a good capital city for Wales? on 17:34 - Nov 12 by lifelong

Doesn't bother me that Cardiff is the Capital, would have preferred it if St David's had been given it though.

A lovely day out is st Davids. Havecyou been to the farmers arms another bishops? Lovely pubs. Plus the sloop in Porthgain is only 10 mins away.
Is Cardiff a good capital city for Wales? on 18:00 - Nov 12 with 2533 viewsjohnlangy

Is Cardiff a good capital city for Wales? on 17:58 - Nov 12 by Private_Partz

Anyone got a link to this? I will contribute. ;-)

Don't know how to do links but if you just go into walesonline and scroll down you'll find it.
Is Cardiff a good capital city for Wales? on 18:05 - Nov 12 with 2526 viewsPrivate_Partz

Is Cardiff a good capital city for Wales? on 17:34 - Nov 12 by lifelong

It has benefitted enormously from the title. It meant nothing when a joke of a competition was carried out in the 50's. Since the advent of the Assembly and,ironically, EU membership the investment there has rocketed to the detriment of the rest of Wales.
Cardiff is a mid sized city that has no historical right to be a Regional Capital of an ancient country like Wales. It's only claim to fame was that it became Merthyr Tydfil's coal depot.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Is Cardiff a good capital city for Wales? on 18:18 - Nov 12 with 2497 viewslifelong

Is Cardiff a good capital city for Wales? on 17:58 - Nov 12 by dickythorpe

A lovely day out is st Davids. Havecyou been to the farmers arms another bishops? Lovely pubs. Plus the sloop in Porthgain is only 10 mins away.

Been going to St Davids for 20 years, got a small boat mooring in Porthclais Harbour... love the place. Been to those places you mention a number of times and got to know some of the locals very well...great people.
Is Cardiff a good capital city for Wales? on 18:32 - Nov 12 with 2475 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Is Cardiff a good capital city for Wales? on 17:26 - Nov 12 by Whiterockin

If Swansea had all the money pumped in that Cardiff has, it would be a far better city. Still not the capitol but a far better city.

If the powers that be had been more pragmatic they could have showcased Swansea's amazing location on tandem with the club being in the PL and made it a prosperous second city worth visiting for scenery and history as well.

Unfortunately jealousy and small minded parochialism crept in (and no small amount of corruption I suspect between local business leaders and ,the assembly and the city council) and we got left behind in the funding stakes.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Login to get fewer ads

Is Cardiff a good capital city for Wales? on 18:34 - Nov 12 with 2466 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Is Cardiff a good capital city for Wales? on 17:58 - Nov 12 by dickythorpe

Nice spot on a sunny day their outside area. Abereiddi is nice too. St David's simply magnificent

Is Cardiff a good capital city for Wales? on 18:39 - Nov 12 with 2460 viewsPrivate_Partz

Is Cardiff a good capital city for Wales? on 18:00 - Nov 12 by johnlangy

Don't know how to do links but if you just go into walesonline and scroll down you'll find it.

Found it, signed up and laid it on very thickly. I expect a record amount of down arrows from the mainly Cardiff readership. ;-)

Edit: just read through the comments on there. It seems the Cardiff populace in general have the same sense of entitlement as their football team supporters.
Can't blame them though. They are fed the same Cardiff centric BS from the 'Welsh media' every day.
[Post edited 12 Nov 2016 18:48]

Is Cardiff a good capital city for Wales? on 19:00 - Nov 12 with 2439 viewsjohnlangy

Is Cardiff a good capital city for Wales? on 18:39 - Nov 12 by Private_Partz

Found it, signed up and laid it on very thickly. I expect a record amount of down arrows from the mainly Cardiff readership. ;-)

Edit: just read through the comments on there. It seems the Cardiff populace in general have the same sense of entitlement as their football team supporters.
Can't blame them though. They are fed the same Cardiff centric BS from the 'Welsh media' every day.
[Post edited 12 Nov 2016 18:48]

Agreed.
Is Cardiff a good capital city for Wales? on 19:06 - Nov 12 with 2424 viewslondonlisa2001

Is Cardiff a good capital city for Wales? on 18:34 - Nov 12 by Brynmill_Jack

Nice spot on a sunny day their outside area. Abereiddi is nice too. St David's simply magnificent

The walk from Porthgain across the cliffs to Abereiddi is lovely. Did that most recently in August. They were building a diving board at the Blue Lagoon for the Red Bull thing. Not enough money in the world....
Is Cardiff a good capital city for Wales? on 19:11 - Nov 12 with 2419 viewslifelong

Is Cardiff a good capital city for Wales? on 19:06 - Nov 12 by londonlisa2001

The walk from Porthgain across the cliffs to Abereiddi is lovely. Did that most recently in August. They were building a diving board at the Blue Lagoon for the Red Bull thing. Not enough money in the world....

Another great walk is from Porthclais to the new St Davids lifeboat station, also further on to Whitesands.
Some of the best coastal scenery you'll see anywhere.
Is Cardiff a good capital city for Wales? on 19:13 - Nov 12 with 2416 viewslondonlisa2001

Is Cardiff a good capital city for Wales? on 19:11 - Nov 12 by lifelong

Another great walk is from Porthclais to the new St Davids lifeboat station, also further on to Whitesands.
Some of the best coastal scenery you'll see anywhere.

Oh thanks for that. I'm in Pembrokeshire for Christmas and we'll be looking for some nice walks if the weather is OK to get rid of some of the turkey and chocolates !
Is Cardiff a good capital city for Wales? on 19:28 - Nov 12 with 2394 viewsJacksawayatWalesgame

Traeth llyfn beach between Abereiddi and Porthgain doesn't get the plaudits it deserves. Wales' best kept secret I suppose.
Is Cardiff a good capital city for Wales? on 19:31 - Nov 12 with 2388 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Is Cardiff a good capital city for Wales? on 19:06 - Nov 12 by londonlisa2001

Did that, it was superb. Good food in the sloop too.
St Non's chapel and sea view lovely. We are very lucky to have such a ruggedly breathtaking coastline. People in East Anglia must be bored with theirs.....

Is Cardiff a good capital city for Wales? on 19:35 - Nov 12 with 2380 viewslondonlisa2001

Is Cardiff a good capital city for Wales? on 19:28 - Nov 12 by JacksawayatWalesgame

Traeth llyfn beach between Abereiddi and Porthgain doesn't get the plaudits it deserves. Wales' best kept secret I suppose.

It's those steps back up!

Beautiful though.
Is Cardiff a good capital city for Wales? on 19:40 - Nov 12 with 2372 viewslondonlisa2001

Is Cardiff a good capital city for Wales? on 19:31 - Nov 12 by Brynmill_Jack

Did that, it was superb. Good food in the sloop too.
St Non's chapel and sea view lovely. We are very lucky to have such a ruggedly breathtaking coastline. People in East Anglia must be bored with theirs.....

On that, Brynnie, if not much else this week, we are as one

Last Saturday we walked from Limeslade round to Langland then Caswell and later around the cliffs at Pennard and it was also stunning in the sunshine.
Is Cardiff a good capital city for Wales? on 20:11 - Nov 12 with 2339 viewsLoyal

Cardiff is a great city, but it depends on what you want to do or where. If sport is what your after then obviously as it stands the capital city has the events, and for music as well, very little in Swansea overall. The shopping, history and new investment has made Cardiff a very desirable tourist attraction, more so than any other Welsh town or city. They do it quite well too.

However, the individuals in the city, its population as a category seem very concerned or worried about other areas looking better than they do. Swansea county as an example is unrivalled in its beauty outside of the city. We see it regularly on the football field as an example. Very strange one upmanship by individuals to make their team sound better than Swansea. It rarely is, even when we were both shit. This spills over into the mindset of the so called movers and shakers who back this up by awarding far too much funding and ensuring most of the attractive events are Cardiff based. They too have this absurd view.

Overall Cardiff though is a great city, not as good as Bristol which is superb and has a very clever cultural and modern balance. Anyone who hasn't visited Bristol should do so. Fantastic vibe.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Is Cardiff a good capital city for Wales? on 20:16 - Nov 12 with 2330 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Is Cardiff a good capital city for Wales? on 20:11 - Nov 12 by Loyal

Cardiff is a great city, but it depends on what you want to do or where. If sport is what your after then obviously as it stands the capital city has the events, and for music as well, very little in Swansea overall. The shopping, history and new investment has made Cardiff a very desirable tourist attraction, more so than any other Welsh town or city. They do it quite well too.

However, the individuals in the city, its population as a category seem very concerned or worried about other areas looking better than they do. Swansea county as an example is unrivalled in its beauty outside of the city. We see it regularly on the football field as an example. Very strange one upmanship by individuals to make their team sound better than Swansea. It rarely is, even when we were both shit. This spills over into the mindset of the so called movers and shakers who back this up by awarding far too much funding and ensuring most of the attractive events are Cardiff based. They too have this absurd view.

Overall Cardiff though is a great city, not as good as Bristol which is superb and has a very clever cultural and modern balance. Anyone who hasn't visited Bristol should do so. Fantastic vibe.

I love Bristol, so much history and the Avon gorge is , we, gorgeous.
I'm sure I saw a pub with a Welsh name there last time I went

Is Cardiff a good capital city for Wales? on 20:21 - Nov 12 with 2323 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Is Cardiff a good capital city for Wales? on 19:40 - Nov 12 by londonlisa2001

On that, Brynnie, if not much else this week, we are as one

Last Saturday we walked from Limeslade round to Langland then Caswell and later around the cliffs at Pennard and it was also stunning in the sunshine.

It's far too difficult to disagree when discussing such a land as ours with such almost mystical beauty.
I hope you took photos to show those people in "Knotting Hill" where you must abide in your exile.

Is Cardiff a good capital city for Wales? on 20:21 - Nov 12 with 2320 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Is Cardiff a good capital city for Wales? on 20:21 - Nov 12 by Brynmill_Jack

It's far too difficult to disagree when discussing such a land as ours with such almost mystical beauty.
I hope you took photos to show those people in "Knotting Hill" where you must abide in your exile.

Is Cardiff a good capital city for Wales? on 20:38 - Nov 12 with 2299 viewsLoyal

Is Cardiff a good capital city for Wales? on 20:16 - Nov 12 by Brynmill_Jack

Huge historical relevance to Wales in Bristol.
Now it's a lot colder here a night or two away with the Mrs can be achieved very reasonably.
Hotel prices low etc.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Is Cardiff a good capital city for Wales? on 21:36 - Nov 12 with 2270 viewsDr_Winston

There's nothing in Cardiff of particular interest.

If you want gorgeous scenery, then stay in Swansea and surrounding. If you want events and nightlife, head to Bristol. If you want shopping, then just use Amazon.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Is Cardiff a good capital city for Wales? on 21:37 - Nov 12 with 2270 viewsswan85

Is Cardiff a good capital city for Wales? on 20:16 - Nov 12 by Brynmill_Jack

Typo it is Llandogger trow on Welsh back. Just off the city centre
[Post edited 12 Nov 2016 22:02]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024