Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The demise of High street. 10:22 - May 25 with 3072 viewsperchrockjack

Anything sadder as regards our towns and cities.

Not just retail giants but small family businesses

While shop on line ,we kill our shops, we kill our High Street .

High Streets demise has ripped the guts out of our towns

Bloody sad to see

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

The demise of High street. on 17:20 - May 25 with 826 viewstaffpunk

The public have made their decision, they'd rather shop on line and in large superstores/out of town shopping 'malls' than in their local town/city centres.
Five years ago, who would have thought that there would now be at least a dozen empty shops in Queen Street, Cardiff. Such is life, as a shop owner myself, I used to get angry about it, but there's far more important things in life to get me raging.

Second Time Around Record Shop-Tonypandy, RCT-Open Friday and Saturday. Valley Leaflets-Reliable Leaflet Distribution throughout South Wales.

The demise of High street. on 17:59 - May 25 with 807 viewslondonlisa2001

The demise of High street. on 16:14 - May 25 by monmouth

It's not what happens to the old model, that's pretty much unstoppable, it's having the imagination for what replaces them. At the moment that seems to start and stop with boarding them up.

Not that I have any bright ideas mind, but some planning c**t should. That's what they are paid for.

Ps. High street has always been pretty much crap in my memory, even when it had Top Woolworths.
[Post edited 25 May 2017 16:17]

Blooming heck Mon - Top Woolworths - that's a phrase that takes me back.

Used to be better pick and mix in bottom Woolworths though when I was a kid :-)
The demise of High street. on 18:59 - May 25 with 772 viewsmonmouth

The demise of High street. on 17:59 - May 25 by londonlisa2001

Blooming heck Mon - Top Woolworths - that's a phrase that takes me back.

Used to be better pick and mix in bottom Woolworths though when I was a kid :-)

Friends mother used to work in the bottom one and give me free sweets. I was the size of a house by the time I was 11.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

The demise of High street. on 19:05 - May 25 with 769 viewsRancid

Carmarthen town centre puts Swansea's to shame.Theyve really made a difference in Carmarthen and its vibrant with shoppers whenever Ive been there.Why Swansea insists on negllecting its own town centre in favour of SA1 beats me.
The demise of High street. on 19:05 - May 25 with 769 viewslondonlisa2001

The demise of High street. on 18:59 - May 25 by monmouth

Friends mother used to work in the bottom one and give me free sweets. I was the size of a house by the time I was 11.

Used to be allowed some pick 'n mix sweets from bottom Woolies as a treat by my Gran.

Funnily though, we always used to go to top Woolies to buy singles when I was a bit older. Better selection in that one. Shame they've gone - brill shop they were.
The demise of High street. on 21:08 - May 25 with 736 viewsdickythorpe

The demise of High street. on 19:05 - May 25 by Rancid

Carmarthen town centre puts Swansea's to shame.Theyve really made a difference in Carmarthen and its vibrant with shoppers whenever Ive been there.Why Swansea insists on negllecting its own town centre in favour of SA1 beats me.

The traffic is still problematic though. They should have done a one way system but no!!

HAving said that the town has been boosted both by major chains and independants.
The demise of High street. on 21:30 - May 25 with 722 viewsKilkennyjack

Swansea High Street is now being pretty much transformed. Just saying.

Beware of the Risen People

The demise of High street. on 21:32 - May 25 with 722 viewsRancid

The demise of High street. on 21:08 - May 25 by dickythorpe

The traffic is still problematic though. They should have done a one way system but no!!

HAving said that the town has been boosted both by major chains and independants.

We usually park in Pensarn and walk over the bridge.Theyve done well to get the likes of Debenhams and all the other popular franchises there now.Its not Knightsbridge or Rodeo Drive but its been well thought out and kept the town centre alive and kicking.

Port Talbot is dreadful and Neath has lost its once great appeal in its town centre.They should all take a chance and do what Carmarthen has done but the money seems to go elsewhere.
Login to get fewer ads

The demise of High street. on 21:57 - May 25 with 705 viewsGowerjack

The demise of High street. on 16:14 - May 25 by monmouth

It's not what happens to the old model, that's pretty much unstoppable, it's having the imagination for what replaces them. At the moment that seems to start and stop with boarding them up.

Not that I have any bright ideas mind, but some planning c**t should. That's what they are paid for.

Ps. High street has always been pretty much crap in my memory, even when it had Top Woolworths.
[Post edited 25 May 2017 16:17]

Top Woolworths!

Brilliant I'd forgotten all about that !

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

The demise of High street. on 22:17 - May 25 with 699 viewsSwanseajill

The demise of High street. on 21:57 - May 25 by Gowerjack

Top Woolworths!

Brilliant I'd forgotten all about that !

And opposite top woolworths, Robert Benson menswear, John Colliers menswear and Eynons bakers.
[Post edited 25 May 2017 23:58]
The demise of High street. on 22:34 - May 25 with 682 viewsepaul

The demise of High street. on 19:05 - May 25 by londonlisa2001

Used to be allowed some pick 'n mix sweets from bottom Woolies as a treat by my Gran.

Funnily though, we always used to go to top Woolies to buy singles when I was a bit older. Better selection in that one. Shame they've gone - brill shop they were.

I use to go with my gran on a sat morning and she would have her perm done, after that we'd go round to bottom woolies and buy me a toy, virtually any one I wanted, then back round to eynons for a pasty(the best ever) and ice cream circa 74/75

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

The demise of High street. on 22:37 - May 25 with 672 viewsjack2jack

The demise of High street. on 22:34 - May 25 by epaul

I use to go with my gran on a sat morning and she would have her perm done, after that we'd go round to bottom woolies and buy me a toy, virtually any one I wanted, then back round to eynons for a pasty(the best ever) and ice cream circa 74/75

The thing I remember most about Woolies is the old wooden floors and the Pick n Mix,
Seems like a million years ago
The demise of High street. on 23:13 - May 25 with 658 viewslondonlisa2001

The demise of High street. on 22:34 - May 25 by epaul

It'd have been around the same time for me as well. And I agree about an Eynons pasty. I loved them! Could eat one of those now. Followed by a Joe's. Perfect.
The demise of High street. on 23:32 - May 25 with 638 viewsepaul

The demise of High street. on 23:13 - May 25 by londonlisa2001

It'd have been around the same time for me as well. And I agree about an Eynons pasty. I loved them! Could eat one of those now. Followed by a Joe's. Perfect.

Eynons mince beef pies were up there too, Eynons sadly gone what a shame. I'm in Swansea this weekend and my dad lives around the corner from Joe's on Vincent street so a joe's is on the agenda as well as a big bag of cockles from the market plastered in pepper and vinegar. I'll also bring so rissoles back

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

The demise of High street. on 23:40 - May 25 with 633 viewsmajorraglan

The demise of High street. on 12:00 - May 25 by Lord_Bony

Question. You need a washing machine. You know which one you want you have found deals for the same model.

One is in the local High St store priced £200.

One is online at £180 including delivery which you will recieve the following day.

Which one are you going to order?

Price will s important, but so is the back up service. Bought a new TV a few years ago and went to John Lewis on line, good price and a 5 year warranty thrown in as part of the deal.
On the other hand, in the last few years I have needed a new oven and a washing machine, on both occasions I used the local independent retailer Wayne Evans electricals as he is A1 for service and repairs and competitive on price. If he can't fix your old kit, if you buy a new product with him he won't charge call out fees etc. Swings and roundabouts.
The demise of High street. on 23:42 - May 25 with 631 viewsLord_Bony

Thanks Wayne.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

The demise of High street. on 07:23 - May 26 with 587 viewswaynekerr55

The demise of High street. on 23:42 - May 25 by Lord_Bony

Thanks Wayne.

You're welcome my LORD

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

The demise of High street. on 09:27 - May 26 with 569 viewsperchrockjack

WaYne .
Ask Biny if it was he who removed a thread I created yesterday,just for you.

Nothing to do with the Emerald Isle,jez or throwing kittens into the canal

It's as if im a poster looking for any approbation

The demise of High street. on 09:36 - May 26 with 556 viewsLord_Bony

Why don't you ask him yourself Richard?

Do you really think it's necessary for one to receive laudation before posting?

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"

The demise of High street. on 09:38 - May 26 with 550 viewswaynekerr55

The demise of High street. on 09:36 - May 26 by Lord_Bony

Why don't you ask him yourself Richard?

Do you really think it's necessary for one to receive laudation before posting?

Did you bin his thread?

The demise of High street. on 09:41 - May 26 with 545 viewsLord_Bony

Not on this occasion.

But we have been busy tending the garden recently.

The demise of High street. on 09:50 - May 26 with 525 viewsdickythorpe

I had it pointed out to me by a friend in the caring services that online shopping is the only way some people with social phobias would be able to obtain goods.
It makes sense doesnt it?
The demise of High street. on 12:08 - May 26 with 494 viewsperchrockjack

It's odd though ,is it not.

When we have posters regaling about some celeb they ve badgered into being photographed with and endless valley gossip.

I just wanted to praise wAyne, for his diplomacy skills in trying to reignite some of my former friendships .

Wayne is a guy I've never met but I've heard good reports from my network and he eels to be a cross between Nelson Mandela and Wilfred Pickles

The demise of High street. on 12:16 - May 26 with 490 viewsOnslow

Globalisation.
Online shopping.
Rise in the cost of living.
Fuel costs.
Shite public transport.
No brand loyalty.
Changes in consumer behaviour

She keeps passin' me by...

The demise of High street. on 12:20 - May 26 with 481 viewswaynekerr55

The demise of High street. on 12:08 - May 26 by perchrockjack

It's odd though ,is it not.

When we have posters regaling about some celeb they ve badgered into being photographed with and endless valley gossip.

I just wanted to praise wAyne, for his diplomacy skills in trying to reignite some of my former friendships .

Wayne is a guy I've never met but I've heard good reports from my network and he eels to be a cross between Nelson Mandela and Wilfred Pickles

I hope by eel you mean I'm electric as opposed to slippery Perchie me ol'

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024