Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Advice for anyone travelling in London 07:11 - Jul 11 with 4055 viewsSTID2017

I guess this applies to the trains that run in and around London as well.
When you use the Tube, instead of having to buy tickets, work out how much they are, buy Oyster Cards, etc, you can just use your debit or credit card.
It will automatically work out the best prices for you and charge you.
I tried it and was really pleasantly surprised how reasonable the cost was, as well as very convenient
EDIT - https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/contactless
[Post edited 11 Jul 2017 7:12]

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 07:33 - Jul 11 with 2943 viewsepaul

Oyster is the best way, you cannot pay cash on the buses. If you use your debit card it charges the same as oyster and don't forget there is a daily cap, cost depends on the furthest zone you have travelled in

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 07:51 - Jul 11 with 2908 viewsDr_Winston

Oyster cards are great.

Only stupid thing about them is that if there's a problem with the scanners and you end up due a refund they won't just do it automatically. You've got to touch in at a station to collect it.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 07:56 - Jul 11 with 2891 viewsSTID2017

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 07:51 - Jul 11 by Dr_Winston

Oyster cards are great.

Only stupid thing about them is that if there's a problem with the scanners and you end up due a refund they won't just do it automatically. You've got to touch in at a station to collect it.

You also have to pay £5 for an Oyster card
So if like me you spent £9 over two days on transport, it would have cost me £14 + the same for my wife.
Guess they are good for regular users

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 08:35 - Jul 11 with 2826 viewsDarran

I was in London last week and I can tell you now the Uber app on iPhone is magnificent.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 08:41 - Jul 11 with 2811 viewsepaul

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 07:56 - Jul 11 by STID2017

So if like me you spent £9 over two days on transport, it would have cost me £14 + the same for my wife.

Very much worth it, I have a season ticket on mines for travelling to work and back as well as a payg for travelling outside of the zones on my travel card. My payg is on auto top up so her have to worry about that, oyster also let's you go into credit for a journey, which will deduct the amount you owe when you next top up

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 08:49 - Jul 11 with 2789 viewsFireboy2

I'm taking the family to London in 2 weeks for 3 days

It's my boys first time and we will be doing all the usual central attractions and we will probably be using the underground and buses

Can anyone tell me what's the best ticket to use?

I've been told the oyster is the best way to go
Advice for anyone travelling in London on 09:20 - Jul 11 with 2733 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Just go to the ticket office at London Underground and get an Oyster card or you can use the self service machine and buy one.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 09:29 - Jul 11 with 2703 viewsFireboy2

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 09:20 - Jul 11 by felixstowe_jack

Just go to the ticket office at London Underground and get an Oyster card or you can use the self service machine and buy one.

Cheers FJ
Login to get fewer ads

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 09:32 - Jul 11 with 2696 viewsJohnw102

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 07:56 - Jul 11 by STID2017

The £5 is refundable.

Never knew getting old would happen so quick!

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 09:34 - Jul 11 with 2680 viewsSTID2017

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 08:35 - Jul 11 by Darran

I was in London last week and I can tell you now the Uber app on iPhone is magnificent.

Were you there to see Adele ?

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 09:36 - Jul 11 with 2673 viewsSTID2017

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 09:32 - Jul 11 by Johnw102

The £5 is refundable.

I didn't know that.

By having an Oyster card would my fares have been cheaper is it just a convenience thing ?

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 09:41 - Jul 11 with 2667 viewsSTID2017

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 07:33 - Jul 11 by epaul

Oyster is the best way, you cannot pay cash on the buses. If you use your debit card it charges the same as oyster and don't forget there is a daily cap, cost depends on the furthest zone you have travelled in

Contactless also works on the buses.
Isn't it amazing how far we've come from the conductors on buses and the paper tickets ?

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 09:48 - Jul 11 with 2645 viewsbryncochjack

You can buy them in advance from the Transport for London website. It might save you queueing when you get to the Tube, especially if you are arriving in Paddington.
Advice for anyone travelling in London on 09:54 - Jul 11 with 2624 viewsdickythorpe

Why did they choose to call it "Oyster"?
Advice for anyone travelling in London on 10:01 - Jul 11 with 2611 viewsDarran

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 09:34 - Jul 11 by STID2017

Were you there to see Adele ?

No you're the shit gigger not me.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 10:06 - Jul 11 with 2594 viewslegoman

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 09:36 - Jul 11 by STID2017

I didn't know that.

By having an Oyster card would my fares have been cheaper is it just a convenience thing ?

There is no difference in price whether you use an Oyster or your bank contactless card. For tubes and trains tap in and out at the Oyster machines - make sure you always tap out or you'll be charged a penalty fare. For buses tap in as you board.

TFL cap the daily cost so once you have reached it your journeys are essentially free, but you must always tap in and out.

Contactless payments either by Oyster or your bankcard are cheaper than buying paper tickets.

"M'sieur, you said your dog did not bite!" "That's not my dog"

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 10:28 - Jul 11 with 2563 viewsepaul

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 10:06 - Jul 11 by legoman

There is no difference in price whether you use an Oyster or your bank contactless card. For tubes and trains tap in and out at the Oyster machines - make sure you always tap out or you'll be charged a penalty fare. For buses tap in as you board.

TFL cap the daily cost so once you have reached it your journeys are essentially free, but you must always tap in and out.

Contactless payments either by Oyster or your bankcard are cheaper than buying paper tickets.

Just a minor point, if you don't tap out you get charge the cost of a full journey to the end of the line

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 12:02 - Jul 11 with 2427 viewsploppy

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 10:28 - Jul 11 by epaul

Just a minor point, if you don't tap out you get charge the cost of a full journey to the end of the line

Beware also, if you're using a contactless debit card, use the same one all day. Otherwise, the daily cap won't work because it won't know it's you all the time. That's what they tell me anyway.
Advice for anyone travelling in London on 12:09 - Jul 11 with 2408 viewsFireboy2

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 12:02 - Jul 11 by ploppy

Beware also, if you're using a contactless debit card, use the same one all day. Otherwise, the daily cap won't work because it won't know it's you all the time. That's what they tell me anyway.

It's a great idea and I used it when I was travelling to france last year but i was using it just for myself so how does it work for 2 adults and 2 kids?
Advice for anyone travelling in London on 12:28 - Jul 11 with 2376 viewsploppy

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 12:09 - Jul 11 by Fireboy2

It's a great idea and I used it when I was travelling to france last year but i was using it just for myself so how does it work for 2 adults and 2 kids?

If you're all travelling at the same time, you'd need 4 contactless cards. I have no idea about Oyster cards - whether they have a family one or something. Or whether children travel for less.

My only point was that, if you tap in with your Natwest contactless card you should tap out with it too. And continue to use the same card all day.
Advice for anyone travelling in London on 12:30 - Jul 11 with 2373 viewslegoman

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 12:09 - Jul 11 by Fireboy2

Ah that is a problem because the system only works on the basis of "one card per person" so for example you can't pay for a journey for a friend by tapping in twice with the same card. The easiest way might be to buy a travelcard for each person - I think they cost the same as a daily capped Oyster charge - but worth checking at the ticket office. Travelcards for juniors are cheaper than adult ones.

You could always get Oyster cards for everyone but they cost £5 each initially on top of your first load up. Someone on here said you can get the £5 refunded - I didn't know that so can't comment and presumably you would only get a refund by handing back your Oyster.

"M'sieur, you said your dog did not bite!" "That's not my dog"

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 12:41 - Jul 11 with 2346 viewsFireboy2

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 12:30 - Jul 11 by legoman

Ah that is a problem because the system only works on the basis of "one card per person" so for example you can't pay for a journey for a friend by tapping in twice with the same card. The easiest way might be to buy a travelcard for each person - I think they cost the same as a daily capped Oyster charge - but worth checking at the ticket office. Travelcards for juniors are cheaper than adult ones.

You could always get Oyster cards for everyone but they cost £5 each initially on top of your first load up. Someone on here said you can get the £5 refunded - I didn't know that so can't comment and presumably you would only get a refund by handing back your Oyster.

Thanks for the advice ploppy and legoman

Think I'm gonna have to get onto the official london travel site to find out
Advice for anyone travelling in London on 12:44 - Jul 11 with 2337 viewsKingsclere_Jack

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 12:30 - Jul 11 by legoman

You can get a refund for your Oyster card from ticket machines at tube stations. It gives you your £5 back and invalidates the card. You then throw the card away.

There are different cards for children:
16 and 17 year olds can travel at half adult-rate on all TfL services and most National Rail services in London. If they live in London they may be eligible to travel free on buses and trams
11-15 year olds can travel free on buses and trams and travel at half adult-rate on all other TfL services and most National Rail services in London
5-10 year olds can travel free on all TfL and most National Rail services in London

All the info is on the tfl website - https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/travel-for-under-18s
Advice for anyone travelling in London on 13:12 - Jul 11 with 2283 viewsdailew

Used to be able to get a one day travelcard for only 50p more but now its about double the price.

This was a better option as with the Oyster card there's the possibility of a mistake and it can drain all your credit. Took over £20 off mine once.

You couldn't query it either unless you'd already registered your oyster card.

I think this isn't a problem with contactless cards.

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

Advice for anyone travelling in London on 13:13 - Jul 11 with 2283 viewsharryhpalmer

If you are going to use a debit card, make sure you register it on the TFL website first.

Any issues, and if you want tic check you haven't been overcharged, you are buggared if you haven't registered the card.

And it can be cheaper than oyster if you travel in and out of zone 1 stations during the day.

http://londonist.com/2016/07/video-why-contactless-is-sometimes-cheaper-than-oys

Poll: Who do you want as next Manager?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024