Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jefferson Montero 23:13 - Jul 17 with 8107 viewsNirvana

We've reportedly "offered" Montero to Newcastle for as little as £4m, with some journalist tweeting "from his personal Twitter account" that they are interested:

http://www.90min.com/posts/5248549-swansea-city-reportedly-offer-ecuador-star-an

Not a lot of money for him, obviously, but the Montero ship sailed a long time ago. Any amount we get could be considered a bonus, since he hasn't offered much during his time with us.

Sounds like The Americans agree, and hopefully a deal is imminent

(I wish you all the best, Jefferson.)
Jefferson Montero on 14:21 - Jul 18 with 1397 viewsThornburyswan

If this is true then he's gone, £4M probably only buys a couple of kids these days but still it helps & it reduces the wage bill (our biggest mill stone for me).

His pace is impressive & on a 'good day' against a team that is attacking us & playing on the front foot he is a useful out ball - doesn't surprise that his best performances have come against better teams who expect to beat us - but he is severely limited in terms of (1) he appear so to be made of biscuits & breaks very easily, (2) once a team suss him out & set-up to stop him he is useless & we are in effect playing with 10, (3) he offers nothing in terms of tracking back/defensive duties & (4) broadly plays head down plus cannot shoot (we have a few wide men that struggle with that to be fair).

So £4M is a yes please.
Jefferson Montero on 14:21 - Jul 18 with 1394 viewsE20Jack

Jefferson Montero on 14:20 - Jul 18 by jack247

You must have missed the game against Arsenal in 2014

Barrow ripped Arsenal apart when he came on too.

That was also purely down to pace and directness. Again, it doesnt mean Barrow is good. He struggled in the Championship.

Poll: 6 point deduction and sellouts lose all their cash?

Jefferson Montero on 14:23 - Jul 18 with 1390 viewsjack247

Jefferson Montero on 14:21 - Jul 18 by E20Jack

Barrow ripped Arsenal apart when he came on too.

That was also purely down to pace and directness. Again, it doesnt mean Barrow is good. He struggled in the Championship.

It was sarcasm
Jefferson Montero on 14:25 - Jul 18 with 1380 viewsE20Jack

Jefferson Montero on 14:23 - Jul 18 by jack247

It was sarcasm

I was agreeing with you...

Making the point that one swallow doesnt make a summer. When you have pace, you will have a good game here and there if your opponent is set up to be exposed to it.

Doesnt mean you are a good footballer though, it just means you are fast.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2017 14:26]

Jefferson Montero on 14:38 - Jul 18 with 1343 viewsLoyal

Jefferson Montero on 14:25 - Jul 18 by E20Jack

I was agreeing with you...

Making the point that one swallow doesnt make a summer. When you have pace, you will have a good game here and there if your opponent is set up to be exposed to it.

Doesnt mean you are a good footballer though, it just means you are fast.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2017 14:26]

My first experience of real pace was Darren Perrett.
I rest my case.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Jefferson Montero on 14:46 - Jul 18 with 1322 viewskarnataka

I finally lost my patience with Montero during the match away at Villa under Monk. There was space behind their right back and Taylor played 2 or 3 balls over or inside the defender and Montero just stood on the touchline when he could have had the fullback on toast if he'd made a run. Taylor was doing his nut and rightly so and kept shouting at Monk to have a word with Montero. I know most will still say it was probably Taylor's fault because he was the official scapegoat at that time but if Montero was annoying the hell out of me, it must have been far worse for his team mates.
Jefferson Montero on 14:53 - Jul 18 with 1316 viewsPozuelosSideys

Jefferson Montero on 14:20 - Jul 18 by jack247

You must have missed the game against Arsenal in 2014

Think people will have missed your sarcasm there ;)

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Jefferson Montero on 14:54 - Jul 18 with 1314 views34dfgdf54

Jefferson Montero on 13:46 - Jul 18 by jack247

Montero is much easier to mark than Routledge. He is purely pace. Yes, that's a nightmare one on one, but no one leaves their full back exposed against him and it neutralises him. Routledge doesn't have pace or acceleration but he is far more cerebral. He times his runs properly and finds gaps in defences. Clearly, he isn't the answer has he has no end product. The guy is past his best but he is a Rodgers/Laudrup style footballer, he uses intelligence and interaction with team mates to play his way past defenders, rather than using electric pace and acceleration, which is a killer one on one but not much use when centre backs step out wide to cover their fullback.

Trust me when I say, defenders would feel more comfortable up against Routledge than they do with Montero. Without doubt.
Login to get fewer ads

Jefferson Montero on 14:55 - Jul 18 with 1307 views34dfgdf54

Jefferson Montero on 14:46 - Jul 18 by karnataka

I finally lost my patience with Montero during the match away at Villa under Monk. There was space behind their right back and Taylor played 2 or 3 balls over or inside the defender and Montero just stood on the touchline when he could have had the fullback on toast if he'd made a run. Taylor was doing his nut and rightly so and kept shouting at Monk to have a word with Montero. I know most will still say it was probably Taylor's fault because he was the official scapegoat at that time but if Montero was annoying the hell out of me, it must have been far worse for his team mates.

Wasn't that the game he set up the late winner for Gomis?
Jefferson Montero on 14:56 - Jul 18 with 1305 viewsjack247

Jefferson Montero on 14:54 - Jul 18 by 34dfgdf54

Trust me when I say, defenders would feel more comfortable up against Routledge than they do with Montero. Without doubt.

Individual defenders, absolutely. Managers setting up a team, absolutely not.

There is no doubt he is superb one on one.
Jefferson Montero on 14:58 - Jul 18 with 1294 viewsE20Jack

Jefferson Montero on 14:54 - Jul 18 by 34dfgdf54

No chance. That right back for Phili Union had him in his pocket simply because he could match him for pace. If the right back cant match him for pace then he will have a covering defender assigned to that side.

Routledge actually has footballing ability.

Jefferson Montero on 14:59 - Jul 18 with 1293 views34dfgdf54

Jefferson Montero on 14:56 - Jul 18 by jack247

Point taken.

In fairness though managers haven't exactly been struggling to sleep the night before our game over stopping Routledge lately though have they? United at home actually targeted Routledge and Naughton's (I think it was Naughton anyway) flank as we were all over the shop.
Jefferson Montero on 15:12 - Jul 18 with 1260 viewsMarinaJack

Jefferson Montero on 14:56 - Jul 18 by jack247

routledge is a dream to mark one on one for any half decent defender
a) he has no pace
b) he isn't a good dribbler
c) he isn't good in the air

in short he isn't going to run past you, he isn't going to run behind you and he isn't going to out jump you.

look at his career stats for an attacking player his goal output is awful
Jefferson Montero on 15:15 - Jul 18 with 1249 viewskarnataka

Jefferson Montero on 14:55 - Jul 18 by 34dfgdf54

Wasn't that the game he set up the late winner for Gomis?

Can't remember tbh, I went to so many games at Villa, they're all just a blur now!
Jefferson Montero on 15:21 - Jul 18 with 1230 viewsairedale

Jefferson Montero on 14:58 - Jul 18 by E20Jack

No chance. That right back for Phili Union had him in his pocket simply because he could match him for pace. If the right back cant match him for pace then he will have a covering defender assigned to that side.

Routledge actually has footballing ability.

Yes he has. The only trouble is he keeps hitting the ball with the outside of his right foot. Someone should tell him to use his instep.
Jefferson Montero on 15:32 - Jul 18 with 1201 viewsE20Jack

Routledge is now 32, will be 33 midway through this coming season. For a winger, that is old. He will certainly need to be replaced. But a Routledge in his prime and a Montero in his prime (age wise) and I would take Routledge all day long.

Jefferson Montero on 15:40 - Jul 18 with 1188 viewsjack247

Jefferson Montero on 14:59 - Jul 18 by 34dfgdf54

Point taken.

In fairness though managers haven't exactly been struggling to sleep the night before our game over stopping Routledge lately though have they? United at home actually targeted Routledge and Naughton's (I think it was Naughton anyway) flank as we were all over the shop.

No they haven't and it's probably time to move him on. With his intelligence and Monteros physical gifts, you would probably have a decent player, though neither of them can finish.
Jefferson Montero on 15:49 - Jul 18 with 1157 viewsjack247

Jefferson Montero on 15:12 - Jul 18 by MarinaJack

routledge is a dream to mark one on one for any half decent defender
a) he has no pace
b) he isn't a good dribbler
c) he isn't good in the air

in short he isn't going to run past you, he isn't going to run behind you and he isn't going to out jump you.

look at his career stats for an attacking player his goal output is awful

I'm starting to doubt you now.

Routledges strength is his ability to spot gaps, time runs and link with other players. I know he invariably snatches badly at chances, but do you think it's coincidence he seems to go through on the keeper far more than any of our other wide players.

It's far harder to mark an elusive runner than a quick one, especially when you always know where Montero is going to be.

If you look at career stats, Monteros has 2 league goals in 3 seasons in
La Liga and one since he joined us in 2014. Routledge had 3 last season. I'm sure he would have ripped the Mexican league up too.
Jefferson Montero on 16:00 - Jul 18 with 1138 viewsPozuelosSideys

Jefferson Montero on 15:49 - Jul 18 by jack247

I'm starting to doubt you now.

Routledges strength is his ability to spot gaps, time runs and link with other players. I know he invariably snatches badly at chances, but do you think it's coincidence he seems to go through on the keeper far more than any of our other wide players.

It's far harder to mark an elusive runner than a quick one, especially when you always know where Montero is going to be.

If you look at career stats, Monteros has 2 league goals in 3 seasons in
La Liga and one since he joined us in 2014. Routledge had 3 last season. I'm sure he would have ripped the Mexican league up too.

Yep. Routledge has lost a lot of his better assets that he had when he was younger.

However, he still has very good movement and an actual football brain (at times). Two things which Montero will never, ever have.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024