Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
3M's Tower. 21:59 - Jul 25 with 11000 viewsGaryjack

Being taken down within the next 3 weeks, and the whole site to be leveled within 3 years. At it's peak employed over 10.000, now only 198 remain.

3M's Tower. on 22:05 - Jul 25 with 6696 viewsbuilthjack

Always stood out when driving along the M4

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

3M's Tower. on 22:34 - Jul 25 with 6607 viewsGowerjack

What a shame.

How many of us have Scotch brand video tapes of the Swans tucked away in the attic and made in Penllergaer?

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

3M's Tower. on 19:09 - Jul 28 with 6233 viewsSwanzay

How sad, dad worked for over 30 years at 3M,the tower is certainly a Gorseinon landmark.....
3M's Tower. on 19:37 - Jul 28 with 6188 viewsunion_jack

Should be listed. A well recognised landmark, a bit like the Cefn Coed towers and Morris 'Castle'.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

3M's Tower. on 19:38 - Jul 28 with 6184 viewsPrivate_Partz

3M's Tower. on 19:09 - Jul 28 by Swanzay

How sad, dad worked for over 30 years at 3M,the tower is certainly a Gorseinon landmark.....

It certainly is. I had a few friends working there and it seemd a decent company and the wages were good too, or so they told me ;-)
Gone are the days when companies like this could see the potential in the area. When bodies like the WDA were in being and actually gave an eff about anything outside of the SE.
It makes you wonder if we will ever see manufacturing jobs like this being created in the rest of Wales outside of the S and NE.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

3M's Tower. on 19:38 - Jul 28 with 6184 viewsexiledclaseboy

3M's Tower. on 19:37 - Jul 28 by union_jack

Should be listed. A well recognised landmark, a bit like the Cefn Coed towers and Morris 'Castle'.

And the DVLA.

Poll: Tory leader

3M's Tower. on 19:40 - Jul 28 with 6173 viewsexiledclaseboy

This'll be the Welsh Government's fault for only spending money in that Cardiff in five, four, three...

3M's Tower. on 19:43 - Jul 28 with 6166 viewsunion_jack

3M's Tower. on 19:38 - Jul 28 by exiledclaseboy

And the DVLA.

Well I wouldn't go that far, but yes =, well recognised.

Worked there for a summer period whilst in University in the 80s. Glad I never had to go back! I'm sure there are some very interesting jobs there though.

Login to get fewer ads

3M's Tower. on 19:44 - Jul 28 with 6160 viewsJackfath

Why not turn it into a swimming pool slide type thingy. Cut the lid off, add some steps up and a water supply. and hey presto much needed visitors to the new 3Ms down the sink hole swimming attraction.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

3M's Tower. on 19:48 - Jul 28 with 6149 viewsunion_jack

3M's Tower. on 19:44 - Jul 28 by Jackfath

Why not turn it into a swimming pool slide type thingy. Cut the lid off, add some steps up and a water supply. and hey presto much needed visitors to the new 3Ms down the sink hole swimming attraction.

You are wasted in your current job `Father.

Get into the Tourism Dept at the council and Swansea will realise it's full potential.

3M's Tower. on 19:48 - Jul 28 with 6149 viewsexiledclaseboy

3M's Tower. on 19:43 - Jul 28 by union_jack

Well I wouldn't go that far, but yes =, well recognised.

Worked there for a summer period whilst in University in the 80s. Glad I never had to go back! I'm sure there are some very interesting jobs there though.

Mine is brilliantly interesting. Genuinely too, no piss taking.

3M's Tower. on 19:55 - Jul 28 with 6126 viewsSwanzay

3M's Tower. on 19:38 - Jul 28 by Private_Partz

It certainly is. I had a few friends working there and it seemd a decent company and the wages were good too, or so they told me ;-)
Gone are the days when companies like this could see the potential in the area. When bodies like the WDA were in being and actually gave an eff about anything outside of the SE.
It makes you wonder if we will ever see manufacturing jobs like this being created in the rest of Wales outside of the S and NE.

As you say very good company to work for, dad was an engineer there, manufacturing jobs on this scale died when the Cons decided to turn the majority of the UK into a low wage service industry...
3M's Tower. on 19:55 - Jul 28 with 6123 viewsunion_jack

3M's Tower. on 19:48 - Jul 28 by exiledclaseboy

Mine is brilliantly interesting. Genuinely too, no piss taking.

I believe you, genuinely.

There are few better gifts in the world than having a job that stimulates you and which you enjoy. It's a long working life otherwise (and getting longer). So glad I'm retired (early) and out of it.

3M's Tower. on 19:56 - Jul 28 with 6123 viewsPrivate_Partz

3M's Tower. on 19:40 - Jul 28 by exiledclaseboy

This'll be the Welsh Government's fault for only spending money in that Cardiff in five, four, three...

Not that their fault that technology moves on. It is their fault, and their lack of vision, that the rest of Wales is stagnating though.
I doubt we would have had the DVLA if that lot had been around at the time.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

3M's Tower. on 20:21 - Jul 28 with 6079 viewsDr_Winston

Sighting the DVLA was always one of the things I used to look out for as a kid as a sign that we were nearly home. For such an ugly building it is a bit nostalgic.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

3M's Tower. on 20:22 - Jul 28 with 6065 viewsRobbie

Scotch cassette tapes too , C30 ,C60 ,C90 packages , growing up on the estate in Penllergaer we got them off the workers through their site shop , came with no cardboard protective covers either .
Looked at that sight every day from my bedroom window growing up .
Minnesota, Mining + Manufacturing if my aging memory still works .
3M's Tower. on 20:33 - Jul 28 with 6042 viewsGaryjack

3M's Tower. on 19:37 - Jul 28 by union_jack

I was speaking with one of the contractors about this and he stated that it can't be listed as it is a metal corrosive structure. Not sure how accurate that is, but seems plausible enough.
3M's Tower. on 20:35 - Jul 28 with 6035 viewsunion_jack

3M's Tower. on 20:33 - Jul 28 by Garyjack

I was speaking with one of the contractors about this and he stated that it can't be listed as it is a metal corrosive structure. Not sure how accurate that is, but seems plausible enough.

Sounds plausible I suppose.

3M's Tower. on 20:42 - Jul 28 with 6006 viewsSwanzay

3M's Tower. on 20:22 - Jul 28 by Robbie

Scotch cassette tapes too , C30 ,C60 ,C90 packages , growing up on the estate in Penllergaer we got them off the workers through their site shop , came with no cardboard protective covers either .
Looked at that sight every day from my bedroom window growing up .
Minnesota, Mining + Manufacturing if my aging memory still works .

Yes thats correct, dad has boxes of unused Scotch tapes in his attic!

Rerecord, not fade away!

3M's Tower. on 20:47 - Jul 28 with 5994 viewsJackfath

I'd urge anyone with boxes of video tapes to take them to the tip. They're highly combustible and have caused the deaths of many a person in house fires.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

3M's Tower. on 20:56 - Jul 28 with 5965 viewsSwanzay

The tower and site would make a ideal drone footage for prosperity...
3M's Tower. on 21:48 - Jul 28 with 5893 viewsDr_Winston

According to a mate who works there now a few buildings are being demolished but nothing more.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

3M's Tower. on 21:59 - Jul 28 with 5873 viewsSwanzay

3M's Tower. on 21:48 - Jul 28 by Dr_Winston

According to a mate who works there now a few buildings are being demolished but nothing more.

Thats good news, hope its true, always remember the 3M xmas kids parties with Denny twp!

As preciously said companies just woundn't do that any more, along with the long corridor shelter down to the actually factory from the car park.

Happy memories...
3M's Tower. on 22:34 - Jul 28 with 5840 viewsGaryjack

3M's Tower. on 21:48 - Jul 28 by Dr_Winston

It's only been decided this week (Monday) according to the contractors i was speaking to. From Derby they were mind, strange bunch. One of them actually believed that us staying in the Premier league was a fix to promote the league as a UK brand rather than an English one? Work that one out!
3M's Tower. on 22:36 - Jul 28 with 5834 viewsDr_Winston

3M's Tower. on 22:34 - Jul 28 by Garyjack

It's only been decided this week (Monday) according to the contractors i was speaking to. From Derby they were mind, strange bunch. One of them actually believed that us staying in the Premier league was a fix to promote the league as a UK brand rather than an English one? Work that one out!

It's possible you're right. According to the mate I spoke to the original deal was to repaint the tower, cost of which makes demolishing it an attractive alternative.

No plans to demolish the place outright though.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024