Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Alfie Vs homophobia 21:34 - Jul 27 with 29018 viewsBanosswan

Depressing.

Anyone caught chanting, automatic two year ban.

PFA are clueless.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Alfie Vs homophobia on 12:50 - Jul 30 with 2591 viewsexiledclaseboy

Alfie Vs homophobia on 12:35 - Jul 30 by Mo_Wives

So if we crack down on jokes about gay people today...we will right the wrongs done to different gay people in history?
You said it yourself, society has moved on.

Here's my point, if I am sat in the pub with a bald person, a ginger person or a gay person I don't care. He's bald...so what. He's ginger...so what. He's gay...so what. I treat them all the same...because I actually believe in treating people equally. Unfortunately, when I say this, some people hear "I go gay bashing every weekend". Now what some people seem to want to do is say, he's bald...so what. He's ginger...so what. He's gay...right, no jokes and be hyper aware of his feelings. I'm sorry to say, but I believe that this special treatment/kid gloves (whatever you want to call it) is adding to the stigma in peoples minds that you talk of. IMO, the sooner we have a 'so f*cking what' attitude to people being gay, the sooner we lose what's left of any stigma. I want to get to a time where being gay is not a horrendous insult...because I don't think it is.

BTW, I was going to ask you to reply without using the word historical. Wish I had now

Oh and just to add - I don't see a dressing room full of footballers or a pub full of people singling out a gay person to be the constant butt of the jokes as OK...I see that as abuse. I see that as bullying.

I think we're essentially on the same page but there are a couple of things I'd take issue with. Firstly, of course you can't right the wrongs of history. I never suggested such and you've created a straw man to knock down there. But gay people ARE still persecuted, beaten and discriminated against for being gay. It's clearly not on the scale of historical abuses but it does still happen and would probably happen even more if legal protections weren't in place.

The cosy pub scene you've outlined is exactly how everyone should act of course. The fact is though that you'd be able to tell a ginger man is ginger and a bald man is bald just by looking at him. You'd have no such visual cue with a gay man. He'd have to be comfortable enough with you and your company for him to reveal that facet of himself to you and it'd be his choice whether to do so. Conversely of course it'd also be his choice to not reveal that facet of himself, either because he sees it is irrelevant and his business only or because he doesn't feel comfortable doing so because he fears people's reactions. And some of the attitudes displayed on this thread illustrate nicely why not all gay people ate comfortable revealing it.

Poll: Tory leader

Alfie Vs homophobia on 13:12 - Jul 30 with 2569 viewsMo_Wives

Alfie Vs homophobia on 12:50 - Jul 30 by exiledclaseboy

I think we're essentially on the same page but there are a couple of things I'd take issue with. Firstly, of course you can't right the wrongs of history. I never suggested such and you've created a straw man to knock down there. But gay people ARE still persecuted, beaten and discriminated against for being gay. It's clearly not on the scale of historical abuses but it does still happen and would probably happen even more if legal protections weren't in place.

The cosy pub scene you've outlined is exactly how everyone should act of course. The fact is though that you'd be able to tell a ginger man is ginger and a bald man is bald just by looking at him. You'd have no such visual cue with a gay man. He'd have to be comfortable enough with you and your company for him to reveal that facet of himself to you and it'd be his choice whether to do so. Conversely of course it'd also be his choice to not reveal that facet of himself, either because he sees it is irrelevant and his business only or because he doesn't feel comfortable doing so because he fears people's reactions. And some of the attitudes displayed on this thread illustrate nicely why not all gay people ate comfortable revealing it.

Yes, maybe it was a straw man. I apologise.
I am all for legal protections that stop people being persecuted, beaten and discriminated against. And I do believe we have the same goals (people being accepted by society) we may just see different routes to get there.

Right, now, in the pub, did I see the gay fella walk in? coz they have a tendency to 'mince' and greet people with a 'cooee'...I think I'd know if I saw him walk in (disclaimer- that was a joke)
Joking aside, I may be wrong, but I believe the easiest way to get to cosy pub scene is to have treat everyone the same. I believe jokes and humour are one of the best ways to break down walls between people. And yes I know jokes can be used to bully people, but it's the bullying that's the problem IMO, not the jokes.

You are easy to disagree with, ECB. (I don't mean you talk sh*t...I mean you don't get angry.)
[Post edited 30 Jul 2017 13:12]

Good luck, Mr Cooper

Alfie Vs homophobia on 13:48 - Jul 30 with 2545 viewsHighjack

Alfie Vs homophobia on 12:38 - Jul 30 by Mo_Wives

Yes I know. Ugly blokes have no protection under discrimination laws.

Neither do us gorgeous specimens. It's a living nightmare.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Alfie Vs homophobia on 13:58 - Jul 30 with 2538 viewsMo_Wives

Alfie Vs homophobia on 13:48 - Jul 30 by Highjack

Neither do us gorgeous specimens. It's a living nightmare.

I agree. I feel Tescos are discriminating against us when hiring checkout operators.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2017 14:38]

Good luck, Mr Cooper

Alfie Vs homophobia on 14:05 - Jul 30 with 2521 viewsexiledclaseboy

Alfie Vs homophobia on 13:12 - Jul 30 by Mo_Wives

Yes, maybe it was a straw man. I apologise.
I am all for legal protections that stop people being persecuted, beaten and discriminated against. And I do believe we have the same goals (people being accepted by society) we may just see different routes to get there.

Right, now, in the pub, did I see the gay fella walk in? coz they have a tendency to 'mince' and greet people with a 'cooee'...I think I'd know if I saw him walk in (disclaimer- that was a joke)
Joking aside, I may be wrong, but I believe the easiest way to get to cosy pub scene is to have treat everyone the same. I believe jokes and humour are one of the best ways to break down walls between people. And yes I know jokes can be used to bully people, but it's the bullying that's the problem IMO, not the jokes.

You are easy to disagree with, ECB. (I don't mean you talk sh*t...I mean you don't get angry.)
[Post edited 30 Jul 2017 13:12]

I gave up getting angry at people on the internet years ago. Anyway, like you said, it seems we share the goal but not necessarily the method of achieving it. The only problem with the "treat everyone the same" mantra is that some use it to justify the bullying and worse that you so rightly condemn.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2017 14:08]

Poll: Tory leader

Alfie Vs homophobia on 14:12 - Jul 30 with 2505 viewsMo_Wives

Alfie Vs homophobia on 14:05 - Jul 30 by exiledclaseboy

I gave up getting angry at people on the internet years ago. Anyway, like you said, it seems we share the goal but not necessarily the method of achieving it. The only problem with the "treat everyone the same" mantra is that some use it to justify the bullying and worse that you so rightly condemn.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2017 14:08]

Now the world don't move to the beat of just one drum, what might be right for you, may not be right for some.
It takes different strokes, innit.

Good luck, Mr Cooper

Alfie Vs homophobia on 14:49 - Jul 30 with 2470 viewsjacksfullaces

prejudice against race, disability or sexuality wrong, end of, individuals have no say over this, and should not be discriminated against. sadly there is inherent, historical views that need to be challenged that are centuries old and have probably done more harm than they have against gingers.

however, separate point in terms of religion imo, that is a choice.

and even more separate point with regard to this programme/rugby. what alfie did all good and makes him a role model etc no problems with that .. what I am interested in knowing is in the 10 yrs since he came out how many rugby players at a professional level are openly gay?

maybe it's time to reassess whether rugby really has moved on hugely on the back of his story?
Alfie Vs homophobia on 14:59 - Jul 30 with 2449 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Alfie Vs homophobia on 12:10 - Jul 30 by exiledclaseboy

it seems fairly obvious to me. Bald people and ginger people haven't historically been persecuted, criminalised, beaten up and worse for being bald or ginger. Thankfully society has mostly moved on from those days ( apart from a few hardy refuseniks, most of whom seem to have posted on this thread). Also being bald and ginger isn't exactly easy to hide so there's no issue with "coming out" in the same way as there is being gay. There's also no stigma attached to such things, as there still is in some people's minds about homosexuality.

So in short, it's a stupid comparison.

What !!!

We can't beat up ginger people anymore.

When did that become illegal?

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Login to get fewer ads

Alfie Vs homophobia on 15:45 - Jul 30 with 2404 viewsHighjack

Alfie Vs homophobia on 14:59 - Jul 30 by oh_tommy_tommy

What !!!

No gingers are fair game because they have no souls. That's the reason they can't go out in direct sunlight, a bit like vampires.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Alfie Vs homophobia on 15:56 - Jul 30 with 2389 viewsMo_Wives

What !!!

Uh oh, look out, Owen Jones has had a Drambuie.

Good luck, Mr Cooper

Alfie Vs homophobia on 16:07 - Jul 30 with 2382 viewsMo_Wives

Alfie Vs homophobia on 14:49 - Jul 30 by jacksfullaces

prejudice against race, disability or sexuality wrong, end of, individuals have no say over this, and should not be discriminated against. sadly there is inherent, historical views that need to be challenged that are centuries old and have probably done more harm than they have against gingers.

however, separate point in terms of religion imo, that is a choice.

and even more separate point with regard to this programme/rugby. what alfie did all good and makes him a role model etc no problems with that .. what I am interested in knowing is in the 10 yrs since he came out how many rugby players at a professional level are openly gay?

maybe it's time to reassess whether rugby really has moved on hugely on the back of his story?

Of course prejudice is wrong. Who said it wasn't?
I'm talking about jokes.

Good luck, Mr Cooper

Alfie Vs homophobia on 22:14 - Jul 30 with 2256 viewsBanosswan

Pride is on bbc2 now

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.

Alfie Vs homophobia on 22:35 - Jul 30 with 2239 viewslifelong

What !!!

I used to go out with a red head, no hair just a red head.
Alfie Vs homophobia on 22:37 - Jul 30 with 2236 viewsDarran

Alfie Vs homophobia on 22:35 - Jul 30 by lifelong

I used to go out with a red head, no hair just a red head.

Slight girl looked like a match.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Alfie Vs homophobia on 19:03 - Jul 31 with 2128 viewsPrivate_Partz

He is coming on the One Show now. Apparently being told off by his mam for something...

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Alfie Vs homophobia on 20:50 - Jul 31 with 2086 viewsBanosswan

Alfie Vs homophobia on 22:37 - Jul 30 by Darran

Slight girl looked like a match.

She was striking

Alfie Vs homophobia on 21:16 - Jul 31 with 2064 viewsDr_Winston

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Alfie Vs homophobia on 21:35 - Jul 31 with 2052 viewsPrivate_Partz

Alfie Vs homophobia on 21:16 - Jul 31 by Dr_Winston

Thay be some prejudice in this thread Doc. Not from me though.
My view is there are many icons in the LGTB community but this guy seems to be a media tart of the worst kind. He even used his sexuality to sell Guinness!
The result for me is he is bigging himself up rather than the cause he claims to portray.
Either that or I dislike him because he is a head slapping Cardiff twonk. I am sure that has a bearing as well ;-)

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Alfie Vs homophobia on 05:33 - Aug 1 with 2013 viewsMo_Wives

Alfie Vs homophobia on 21:16 - Jul 31 by Dr_Winston

See. Tim gets it.
Thank you Doc.

If we are using comedians to make points, I'd like to offer one of the greats...
[Post edited 1 Aug 2017 5:45]

Good luck, Mr Cooper

Alfie Vs homophobia on 05:51 - Aug 1 with 2007 viewsMo_Wives

Alfie Vs homophobia on 21:35 - Jul 31 by Private_Partz

Thay be some prejudice in this thread Doc. Not from me though.
My view is there are many icons in the LGTB community but this guy seems to be a media tart of the worst kind. He even used his sexuality to sell Guinness!
The result for me is he is bigging himself up rather than the cause he claims to portray.
Either that or I dislike him because he is a head slapping Cardiff twonk. I am sure that has a bearing as well ;-)

TBF, I don't think that's what the Doc was saying. To throw accusations of prejudice out and not directly accuse someone, so they can defend themselves, would be the actions of a passive aggressive coward. And as a long time reader of this board I don't think the Doc is that.

Good luck, Mr Cooper

Alfie Vs homophobia on 06:44 - Aug 1 with 1997 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Comes across a loud mouth bigot this Alfie guy.

And the only reason he's on our screens is because he's come out as guy.

9 pages and counting

Alfie Vs homophobia on 07:22 - Aug 1 with 1988 viewsMo_Wives

Alfie Vs homophobia on 06:44 - Aug 1 by oh_tommy_tommy

Comes across a loud mouth bigot this Alfie guy.

And the only reason he's on our screens is because he's come out as guy.

9 pages and counting

"come out as guy"

Guy Fawkes?...Burn him!

BTW, if you have a problem with this thread or it's length, the best course of action may be to ignore it. What you have done is added to it...you have made it longer.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2017 7:33]

Good luck, Mr Cooper

Alfie Vs homophobia on 08:26 - Aug 1 with 1954 viewsPrivate_Partz

Alfie Vs homophobia on 05:51 - Aug 1 by Mo_Wives

TBF, I don't think that's what the Doc was saying. To throw accusations of prejudice out and not directly accuse someone, so they can defend themselves, would be the actions of a passive aggressive coward. And as a long time reader of this board I don't think the Doc is that.

Oh I agree. I like the Doc. As I bumped the thread up again I just thought I would comment as I recognise I could have been deemed homophobic by some.

Alfie Vs homophobia on 08:43 - Aug 1 with 1941 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Alfie Vs homophobia on 07:22 - Aug 1 by Mo_Wives

"come out as guy"

Guy Fawkes?...Burn him!

BTW, if you have a problem with this thread or it's length, the best course of action may be to ignore it. What you have done is added to it...you have made it longer.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2017 7:33]

Guy Fawkes ?

Burn him?

Ok he's ginger as well ,it could happen

Alfie Vs homophobia on 08:52 - Aug 1 with 1939 viewsMo_Wives

Alfie Vs homophobia on 08:43 - Aug 1 by oh_tommy_tommy

Guy Fawkes ?

Burn him?

Ok he's ginger as well ,it could happen

Very good.

Good luck, Mr Cooper